Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThe Mandalorian (2019 Favreau)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=732011
732011, The Mandalorian (2019 Favreau)
Posted by Heinz, Thu Oct-04-18 11:47 PM
http://www.variety.com/2018/tv/news/star-wars-the-mandalorian-directors-first-look-1202969766/amp/

That image!!!!!!!!

----------

IG @h_n_z
732012, Based on the photo, at the least, Disney put up some money
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Fri Oct-05-18 12:10 AM
The costume looks nice and the set that's visible in the background seems well made.

I never was into Boba Fett or the clones as a one-off character so I'm not excited for this. But the list of directors looks interesting. Especially Rick Fumuyiwa.
732013, they said a hundred mill, and those directors don't come cheap
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Oct-05-18 12:35 AM
whether it's just their rate or other projects, etc.

they are going *in* on this.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
732064, I can't wait.
Posted by josephmurf2384, Mon Oct-08-18 10:44 PM
732595, Pedro Pascal to Lead ‘The Mandalorian’ Series
Posted by j0510, Tue Nov-13-18 08:59 PM
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/star-wars-pedro-pascal-mandalorian-series-1203023818/

‘Star Wars’: Pedro Pascal to Lead ‘The Mandalorian’ Series
By JUSTIN KROLL and JOE OTTERSON
NOVEMBER 13, 2018 10:45AM PT

Now playing - Pedro Pascal Cast in...
Pedro Pascal has been tapped to star in the “Star Wars” TV series “The Mandalorian,” which is expected to premiere on the Disney streaming service, Disney+.

Pascal’s name had previously been rumored for the role, but sources say he was one of many actors being considered. Now, insiders tell Variety that he has been offered the role and negotiations are underway.

Jon Favreau penned the series, which is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. It follows the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic.

Disney recently announced that Dave Filoni, who has worked on “Star Wars: The Clone Wars” and “Star Wars Rebels,” will direct the first episode of the series. “Thor: Ragnarok” director Taika Waititi, Bryce Dallas Howard, “Dope’s” Rick Famuyiwa, and Deborah Chow (“Jessica Jones”) will direct additional episodes.

Favreau is also executive producing the show, along with Filoni, Kathleen Kennedy, and Colin Wilson. Karen Gilchrist will serve as co-executive producer.

Disney also announced in an earnings call on Thursday that it would be doing a prequel series on the “Rogue One” character Cassian Andor, played by Diego Luna.

Pascal is no stranger to the small screen, with star-making roles as Prince Oberyn in “Game of Thrones” and Javier Pena in “Narcos.” He has since been building a strong film resume with performances in “Kingsman: The Golden Circle,” “The Equalizer 2,” and the upcoming “If Beale Street Could Talk.” He recently finished filming the Netflix action pic “Triple Frontier” as well as “Wonder Woman 1984.”
732605, Gina Carano joins cast
Posted by nipsey, Wed Nov-14-18 07:50 PM
https://deadline.com/2018/11/the-mandalorian-gina-carano-1202502117/

The Mandalorian’: Gina Carano Joins Cast Of Disney+’s ‘Star Wars’ Series

by Patrick Hipes
and Geoff Boucher
November 14, 2018 1:20pm

The Mandalorian, one of two Star Wars original series in the works at Disney’s ambitious Disney+ streaming service, has just cast Gina Carano. She will join Pedro Pascal atop the series executive produced by Jon Favreau and Lucasfilm, and based on the film franchise’s mythology.

Pascal is in final negotiations to star in The Mandalorian, which chronicles the lone-wolf odyssey of a character who hails from the planet Mandalore, which Star Wars fans know as the home world of the notorious bounty hunter Boba Fett and Jango Fett. Carano’s role is under wraps.

Favreau has said the series set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. It will follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic. The first episode of the series will be directed by Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars). Also on board to direct are Taika Waititi, Rick Famuyiwa, Deborah Chow and Bryce Dallas Howard.

Disney also recently confirmed that it will mount an original series based on Rogue One: A Star Wars Story for the streaming service, with Diego Luna returning from the film to star.

Carano, the former MMA fighter, has kicked in the door of films including Fast & Furious 6 and Deadpool since getting her start on the screen starring in Steven Soderbergh’s Haywire.

732618, Expectations just dropped
Posted by xangeluvr, Sat Nov-17-18 11:53 PM
She needs to stay away from any sort of acting. She's terrible.
732877, She didn't ruin Blood N Bone. She'll be in makeup too.
Posted by Castro, Wed Dec-12-18 08:39 PM
732886, RE: She didn't ruin Blood N Bone. She'll be in makeup too.
Posted by xangeluvr, Thu Dec-13-18 01:48 PM
I still stand by what I said. Even in minor roles like in Deadpool or Furious 6 she is cringe worthy on screen.
732875, Official Cast
Posted by j0510, Wed Dec-12-18 07:40 PM
https://www.starwars.com/news/pedro-pascal-revealed-as-the-mandalorian

PEDRO PASCAL REVEALED AS THE MANDALORIAN
ALL-STAR CAST TO APPEAR IN UPCOMING DISNEY+ STAR WARS LIVE-ACTION SERIES.
DECEMBER 12, 2018

Lucasfilm is pleased to announce the cast of the first-ever Star Wars live-action series — The Mandalorian.

Pedro Pascal (Narcos) has been cast in the title role as a lone Mandalorian gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy. He is joined by Gina Carano (Deadpool), Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad), Emily Swallow (Supernatural), Carl Weathers (Predator), Omid Abtahi (American Gods), Werner Herzog (Grizzly Man), and Nick Nolte (Affliction).

“We’re having a great time working with this incredibly talented group and excited for everyone to see what we’re up to,” says Executive Producer Jon Favreau.

Currently in production, The Mandalorian is written and executive produced by Jon Favreau, with Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels) directing the first episode and serving as executive producer alongside Kathleen Kennedy and Colin Wilson. Additional episodic directors include Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates), and Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok).

The highly-anticipated series will be exclusive to Disney+, The Walt Disney Company’s upcoming direct-to-consumer streaming service, which is set to launch in the U.S. in late 2019.
732879, Werner Herzog and Nick Nolte?
Posted by rdhull, Wed Dec-12-18 10:35 PM
>https://www.starwars.com/news/pedro-pascal-revealed-as-the-mandalorian
>
>PEDRO PASCAL REVEALED AS THE MANDALORIAN
>ALL-STAR CAST TO APPEAR IN UPCOMING DISNEY+ STAR WARS
>LIVE-ACTION SERIES.
>DECEMBER 12, 2018
>
>Lucasfilm is pleased to announce the cast of the first-ever
>Star Wars live-action series — The Mandalorian.
>
>Pedro Pascal (Narcos) has been cast in the title role as a
>lone Mandalorian gunfighter in the outer reaches of the
>galaxy. He is joined by Gina Carano (Deadpool), Giancarlo
>Esposito (Breaking Bad), Emily Swallow (Supernatural), Carl
>Weathers (Predator), Omid Abtahi (American Gods), Werner
>Herzog (Grizzly Man), and Nick Nolte (Affliction).
>
>“We’re having a great time working with this incredibly
>talented group and excited for everyone to see what we’re up
>to,” says Executive Producer Jon Favreau.
>
>Currently in production, The Mandalorian is written and
>executive produced by Jon Favreau, with Dave Filoni (Star
>Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels) directing the first
>episode and serving as executive producer alongside Kathleen
>Kennedy and Colin Wilson. Additional episodic directors
>include Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope),
>Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates), and Taika Waititi (Thor:
>Ragnarok).
>
>The highly-anticipated series will be exclusive to Disney+,
>The Walt Disney Company’s upcoming direct-to-consumer
>streaming service, which is set to launch in the U.S. in late
>2019.
732880, This casting would have been great a long, long time ago.
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Thu Dec-13-18 02:55 AM
732881, Predator handshake
Posted by Heinz, Thu Dec-13-18 03:11 AM

----------

IG @h_n_z
732892, Creed too?...Herzog? ..trippy
Posted by rdhull, Thu Dec-13-18 07:17 PM
>
>----------
>
>IG @h_n_z
735699, First Official Trailer
Posted by navajo joe, Fri Aug-23-19 07:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOC8E8z_ifw

735707, IG-88
Posted by Mynoriti, Sat Aug-24-19 11:45 AM
735799, it's IG-11 actually
Posted by jrocc, Wed Aug-28-19 09:52 PM
735732, so this is supposed to be the seedy underworld of Star Wars?
Posted by High Society, Mon Aug-26-19 09:18 AM
this show is the happenings that we don’t know about
when the camera is rolling through the streets of Mos Espa and places like that in the movies?

735747, I Was Never A Boba Fett Fan
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Mon Aug-26-19 03:23 PM
I've never understood the whole fan-boy love for a faceless/helmet wearing bounty hunter in Star Wars; yeah Darth Vader never showed his face and wore a helmet too but he looked cool and menacing but with Boba to me he was just another insignificant character in the Star Wars universe.

Nobody really gave a fuck about the Imperial pilots or the generals, they were just one of many who would die or never see again in the movie, even though Boba does keep showing up, I always felt it was more than one bounty hunter that wore the same gear, but over the years more and more fans been hyping up just this one kat who really wasn't suppose to have any real history behind them other than having a job title with one purpose.

Hopefully this movie will be as entertaining as the Han Solo movie was (even though once I watched it, I don't feel a need to ever see it again), and the fans will feel like they got what they wanted.

735780, you know this is a series not a movie right?
Posted by KnowOne, Wed Aug-28-19 07:47 AM
nm
735801, No I Didn't Know
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Thu Aug-29-19 12:24 AM
When watching the trailer I thought this was going to be a movie, so this is a series, oh well, I still got mixed feelings about this.

The recent Disney XD cartoons went the same route as trying to fill in gaps but also explore stories from other parts of the galaxy (Clone Wars, Rebels, & Resistance) but to me all the stories felt like they were trying to extend each episode with character building and weak plots.

So with that said, since this is live and not animated, the plots will be much better, hopefully.

735811, also, this isn't about boba fett
Posted by navajo joe, Thu Aug-29-19 05:40 PM
not sure if you/others knew that

not that that invalidates your criticisms of one, Boba Devante Fett
736490, Second full trailer
Posted by soulfunk, Tue Oct-29-19 07:35 AM
I'm all in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmI7WKrAtqs&t=1s

736498, Looks great!!!!
Posted by KnowOne, Tue Oct-29-19 12:03 PM
Cant wait!
736514, it looks real fuckin good
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Oct-30-19 12:10 PM
i don't know if it is good, but the trailer looks like the trailer for something good

736516, man this shit is beautiful. whats the budget on that thing?
Posted by Reeq, Wed Oct-30-19 01:05 PM
looks like multiple episodes of a summer blockbuster.
736519, Bossssskk!!!!
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Oct-30-19 02:17 PM
I can't wait
736500, Supposedly there is a major SW Universe spoiler in the first ep. (link)
Posted by CaptNish, Tue Oct-29-19 12:07 PM
https://ew.com/tv/2019/10/28/mandalorian-star-wars-spoiler-episode/

I really wonder what that could be.
736507, My guess is that it's something to do with the fate of Boba Fett.
Posted by soulfunk, Tue Oct-29-19 01:32 PM
It's been rumored forever that he survived the sarlacc pit but never confirmed in canon. He hasn't been mentioned with regard to this show at all other than the fact that he isn't the Mandalorian. I doubt that the spoiler in a first episode would reveal tne main character's identify. My guess is the first episode shows us that Fett survived and will be on the show in some capacity, either as a mentor or as a rival for the Mandalorian.

I'm hype about seeing new lore re: the bounty hunter community. Some of my favorite Clone Wars episodes followed bounty hunters.
736518, See? I'm thinking it is going to be something on par with the SOLO/Maul reveal
Posted by CaptNish, Wed Oct-30-19 01:55 PM
A universe spoiler that'll hold more weight anyone who has watched Clone Wars or Rebels or read any of the novels. I'm thinking it's either in relation to who the target he is tasked to acquire by Herzog or in regards to Mandelore as a whole.

Maybe that old Satine Kryze/Obi Wan love child rumor.
736520, Dave Filoni is directing the first episode and is heavily
Posted by soulfunk, Wed Oct-30-19 03:38 PM
involved in the writing and development of the series, so I definitely expect there to be some connectivity to Clone Wars and Rebels.
736662, Chapter 1
Posted by soulfunk, Tue Nov-12-19 07:55 AM
Just watched...wow! The Favreau/Filoni combination is something special...
736664, yes
Posted by BigWorm, Tue Nov-12-19 08:02 AM
Like I said in another post, visually they got that shit down.

The ending was very satisfying for a first ep. Hits just the right note to get you looking forward to ep two.

Overall I like it. Give me a solid supporting cast and we're good. And I'm not counting Werner Herzog.

I want to say more but I'll hold off for now.
736671, the art for credits is so dope and the star wars opening is sick too
Posted by Heinz, Tue Nov-12-19 01:54 PM
fuck!!! so good
----------

IG @erichrigonan
736672, I really hope that art in the ending credits is gonna be a regular thing.
Posted by soulfunk, Tue Nov-12-19 02:21 PM
To have that closing shot of the episode and then see a version of it in art was pretty breathtaking.
736678, i dont see them only doing it for 1 ep
Posted by Heinz, Tue Nov-12-19 03:34 PM

----------

IG @erichrigonan
736719, confirmed during the q&a livestream tonight it's on all the episodes
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Nov-14-19 12:42 AM
https://youtu.be/fIsO_Wfxczw?t=500

apparently it's all art from the previz stuff
736694, I told my girl I would throw away cash for one of those prints
Posted by CaptNish, Wed Nov-13-19 07:21 AM
Those were beautiful.
736679, they knocked it out of the park
Posted by jrocc, Tue Nov-12-19 03:36 PM
i was already interested, but they totally got me with the look and feel of the whole thing. digging the space western vibe for sure.
736683, Got me hooked
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Tue Nov-12-19 05:06 PM
This first ep is a case for binge-watching the whole series. I loved all of it and the stuff with IG-11 was excellent. Like everyone said above the way the ending was with the art was great too.

I've been saying firn DF a SW movie, please.
736689, *Spoilers*
Posted by The3rdOne, Tue Nov-12-19 09:59 PM
Very dope pilot. They nailed the feel of the live action star wars universe. Perfect blend of action and plot. Very adult, but will keep the kids entertained. I can see how each episode would cost 10 mill. I was satisfied.

THe 'yoda species' baby was a good thing that came out of left field. THey could get a good story to play into the current canon from here on out with that thing. If the baby is 50 years old, that means that yoda was alive at the same time it was born. From what we know, there aren't too many of that species alive in the galaxy at the same time. Would Yoda even know or feel it in the force?? Is this a child of Yaddle? I read that Yaddle was killed by Vader after Order 66...but I don't think that was a part of this new Disney Canon.

Is Boba Fett still alive?

736691, who is Yaddle?
Posted by BigWorm, Wed Nov-13-19 07:04 AM
736695, https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Yaddle
Posted by CaptNish, Wed Nov-13-19 07:22 AM
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Yaddle
736736, RE: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Yaddle
Posted by go mack, Thu Nov-14-19 05:20 PM
Im so glad I don't remember seeing this at all and I've seen Phantom Menace quite a few times unfortunately. That looks ridiculous tho
736742, How COULD you remember Yaddle
Posted by The3rdOne, Thu Nov-14-19 10:28 PM
when you were so preoccupied with Jar Jar in the Phantom Menace lol
736800, I had no idea who that was when mentioned
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Nov-18-19 04:43 PM
until I googled it and found out she was actually from Episode 1.

who the fuck was supposed to notice that she had like 5 seconds of screen time and no lines

736801, I mean, it's Star Wars
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Nov-18-19 07:11 PM

>who the fuck was supposed to notice that she had like 5
>seconds of screen time and no lines

I mean, I don't want to say that Star Wars **invented** giving deep back-stories to every single character who appeared on screen for literally seconds, but they're probably the first that monetized it and trained their fans to look for it.

Hence, why I immediately thought of Yaddle when I saw that first episode.
736803, I mean I know, obvs people did know about her
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Nov-18-19 09:04 PM
but like..I rewatched that movie recently and didn't catch her at all

736696, Yeah, I'm all 'bout this
Posted by CaptNish, Wed Nov-13-19 07:29 AM
If I had any complaint it's that I want longer episodes. I want it even more slow moving. When the Mando and Nick Nolte were riding through the desert, I wanted longer landscape shots. If we're doing a Western, I want them to lay on the gas and give me that old John Ford pacing, the old spaghetti pacing.

But fuck, what a world build. There's so much more I want to know about. They gave away the perfect amount of info to keep me wanting to come back. The Mandolorian Guild, the Bounty Hunter guild, what battle circa the Clone Wars was his family murked, who the fuck Werner Herzog is and what his Doc wants with Babyodaspecies. What the fuck the ramifications of the existence of a Babyodaspecies! Fucking all of it.

I am all aboard.
736698, OH! And Ludwig's score!
Posted by CaptNish, Wed Nov-13-19 08:41 AM
Goddamn that dude is great.
736697, It's fantastic.
Posted by phenompyrus, Wed Nov-13-19 07:54 AM
Easily the best Star Wars has been since TFA (I loved that movie), and perhaps even sooner than that.
736708, Yeah, I'm completely here for Star Wars as spaghetti western
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Nov-13-19 02:24 PM
As someone said above, make it even slower with more world building and landscape shots.

I'm all for the fan boy cameoes, like Horatio Sanz and Watiti as the voice of IG-11.

Not even going to trip on theories for this one. Just let it unfold.
736775, Plus the music is PERFECT
Posted by Heinz, Sat Nov-16-19 01:06 PM

----------

IG @erichrigonan
736727, wow, I loved it. the ending was great.
Posted by walihorse, Thu Nov-14-19 02:13 PM
736713, Fine start with great potential.
Posted by Nodima, Wed Nov-13-19 03:06 PM
It left a fine first impression. Bits of it still suffered from the over-active action sequences and Marvelization of the humor that’s obfuscated all the stuff I like about the new trilogy, but I’m cautiously optimistic from the majority of the pilot that some of that can be chalked up to the usual first episode jitters and they’ll find the right tone a couple episodes from now.

Aside from that, certainly an intriguing setup and the idea that the Mandalorian might just be looking to upgrade his loot in the most efficient way possible speaks to the gamer in me.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
736748, Episode 2
Posted by BigWorm, Fri Nov-15-19 07:59 AM
Not bad at all. Inevitably they slow it down a little. The stuff with the Jawas was good. However I do hope that the show expands the Star Wars galaxy and doesn't just rely on material from the films. Please no ewoks or wookies.
736752, Good Ep.
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Fri Nov-15-19 10:10 AM
Baby Yoda/Yaddle is so fucking cute. Nick Nolte (i'm just going to keep referring to that character as such) is a great addition to team Mando.

>stuff with the Jawas was good. However I do hope that the show
>expands the Star Wars galaxy and doesn't just rely on material
>from the films.

I'm right there with you, but how can you not have Star Wars without some of the characters/species that have been prevalent throughout all of Star Wars Media. With Dave Filoni helping I'm sure he's going to give us more species that have appeared from CW and Rebels. I think having the classics is just a good way to bring your casual SW fan into the show.

>Please no ewoks or wookies
I doubt we get ewoks since they're not a space fairing species. Wookies we might get and I don't have a problem with that as long as I see some arms get torn off.
736758, I never understood why a Star Wars movie can't have familiar faces
Posted by Heinz, Fri Nov-15-19 01:17 PM
I'm all for new characters being the centre of attention for that story but its not star wars if there aren't familiar faces, creatures, planets etc. Imagine this show had nothing that we've seen in Star Wars before, the new thing to complain about is that is that it will feel like a Star Wars knock off. The fact of a matter is that any sequel or anything that is connected to the Star Wars lore HAS to have fan service shit in it because thats what any sequel is. If we wanted a new movie or world then they would make a whole entire property.

----------

IG @erichrigonan
736759, But yeah i loved this fucking ep
Posted by Heinz, Fri Nov-15-19 01:17 PM
i wanna talk about it but i know most havent seen it yet so i'll wait till everyone catches up

----------

IG @erichrigonan
736760, This episode was great. Only complaint is that I want more.
Posted by soulfunk, Fri Nov-15-19 02:14 PM
But wow - I'm loving the pace of this series, and they are really digging into the idea of it being a space western.

"The child" is completely adorable, they better not let anything happen to him. I got so much anxiety in this episode when the Mandalorian would leave him alone for a second.

I think this episode established a few things - first it continued from episode 1 in showing that while the Mandalorian is a badass, he's far from perfect and will absolutely struggle. Second it confirmed that he absolutely has a code of honor. The fact that he showed such genuine gratitude to Nick Nolte's character means that I also believe he'll show gratitude towards "The Child" for saving him from whatever that creature was. He tried to heal his arm earlier in the episode also, but it's clear the the Mandalorian doesn't understand or recognize the Force at all.

For the future, I definitely think the doctor from the first episode wants to study and clone the child. I really wonder what will happen to him - he obviously isn't involved in the sequel trilogy (at least at this point) - is he still alive somewhere? There's no way they kill off something that cute.
736765, Something happens to that child I'm going to lose it
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Fri Nov-15-19 04:08 PM
That damn child is so freaking cute reminded me of the Clone Wars eps with Jabba's kid.
736766, mandalorian also showed concern about the kids the armorer mentioned
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Nov-15-19 05:41 PM
clearly he doesn't give a fuck about a lot of things, but the youths tho

736768, Mando is for the children
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Fri Nov-15-19 06:58 PM
736770, Definitely. Already in 2 episodes the orphan/foundling theme is clear...
Posted by soulfunk, Fri Nov-15-19 10:21 PM
From those flashbacks in episode 2 we know the Mandalorian became an orphan when he lost his family in the clone wars. As you mentioned his concern for the foundlingswaa shown in the conversation with the armorer. I’m sure he’ll have a soft spot for the child on this mission.

The child brings up so many questions...if he’s really 50 years old that means he was born before the clone wars when the Jedi were still all over the galaxy. How would a force sensitive child of that species go unnoticed by both the Jedi council during that time AND the empire during the Jedi purge? Even after the purge during the OT, Yoda never sensed his presence?

Someone on Reddit pointed out that the logo on the sleeve of the doctor in the first episode is the same logo seen on the cloner’s planet Kamino - is he trying to clone the child or is he already a clone himself?

As I mentioned above they gotta come up for some explanation how he isn’t around during the sequel trilogy. Dave Filoni has had no problems doing that in the past when you look at Ezra and Ahsoka, although that’s still a very open ended story.
736798, I’m leaning towards...
Posted by CaptNish, Mon Nov-18-19 04:31 PM
...clone. I know that’s the go to explanation for every unanswered question in this Universe. But this time, I think this is clone. My guess is someone stole it from the doc.
736812, naw, that doc didn't look anywhere close to being over 50 years old
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Tue Nov-19-19 03:49 PM
They said it was a 50-year-old code. Maybe it was a clone, but that doctor wasn't the one that created BY if that's the case.
736813, Spoilers
Posted by CaptNish, Tue Nov-19-19 04:18 PM
See the patch on my man's arm?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4zsDUDCln8/

Peep...

https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/Star-Wars-Kamino.jpg

EDIT: Unless the Doc is a clone.

Somebody's a clone goddamn it. lol
736804, Episode 2 was infinitely better than Episode 1
Posted by navajo joe, Tue Nov-19-19 11:50 AM
Largely because it had far less of the cut scene-level dialogue/acting/voice work and offers what none of the new films have: quiet.

Just a chance to be in the universe and take it in instead of being dragged from action set piece to the next and getting exposition yelled at you. I find both of the new films punishing in there pacing.

The quiet moments, the views of familiar yet completely unknown worlds is a lot of what I miss about the original trilogy. I also love the episodic nature of the these episodes and their brevity. Shout out to using visual storytelling to inform character. I love the shaggy dog nature of some of the effects and the small scope not only of the episodes but the overall story. It's the first thing that actually FEELS like it's of a piece with the original trilogy and what I love about Star Wars since Disney started pumping shit out.

I think Pedro Pascal's voice work is video game-grade so whenever he talks it bums me out and the cameos by Sanz/Poesehn in the pilot did the same.

Those issues aside, I don't think I've done a 180-spin on a show from pilot to second episode like this in a long time.
736806, As much as I love Filoni, I think the first episode showed that
Posted by soulfunk, Tue Nov-19-19 12:12 PM
he was a first time live action director. And I didn't even realize that until seeing the second episode (different director.) The pacing in the first episode, and some of the comedy (specifially Sanz and Posehn like you mentioned) felt a bit off and more fitting of an animated show like Filoni is used to directing.

I absolutely have faith that he'll improve - both the Clone Wars and Rebels started out a bit eh, and the first episode of the Mandalorian was WAY better than early episodes of both of those shows.
736844, Agreed, they have a murderers row of directors on board
Posted by navajo joe, Fri Nov-22-19 11:01 AM
Makes sense to give Filoni the pilot esp given how DGA rules work and the fact its a pilot and they are often rough around the edges anyway.

736840, Chapter 3 - “The Sin”
Posted by soulfunk, Fri Nov-22-19 06:48 AM
This show keeps getting better and better...
736849, really good episode
Posted by BigWorm, Fri Nov-22-19 02:14 PM
One of the things I like about the show is that the Mandalorian is a badass but he's no untouchable. The flawed anti-hero definitely fits with the western style.

I'm hooked.
736850, I agree they show us he's human
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Fri Nov-22-19 04:31 PM
It's very Man with no Name status. The stuff with the Mandalorian's and the beskar was great. I do want more on what happened to the Mando's tribe though.

It seems like his people were wiped out during the Clone Wars and I know based on Rebels the Mandalorians were divided between Imperial loyalists and anti-Imperial factions. I just need a bigger connection to this purge that happened.

lastly, I need my Gina C, in the show now.
736856, Here’s all you need to know about Mandalorian history
Posted by CaptNish, Fri Nov-22-19 10:17 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=awoqOq-n6CQ

And by all you need to know, I mean here is the most extensive run down that I am still amazed someone took the time to put together.
736857, Geez! thats a lot
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Fri Nov-22-19 11:22 PM
its a mix of EU and new canon but still a super detailed history. thanks for the link
736851, the john wick episode
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Nov-22-19 05:44 PM

736862, Exactly what I was thinking
Posted by CaptNish, Sat Nov-23-19 07:50 AM
The second all of the transponders started going off, I was like "Yo, I could fuck with John Wick in the Star Wars Universe."
736864, I am cautiously optimistic for this obi-wan series now
Posted by Rjcc, Sat Nov-23-19 08:30 AM
deborah chow is doing the whole thing

736866, When the fobs started going off that was such a moment.
Posted by soulfunk, Sat Nov-23-19 10:24 AM
Chow directed that perfectly. After all the battles with the stormtroopers and we were thinking he was good, and those fobs started beeping???? Wow.

This show is the perfect balance of feeling like Star Wars while bringing completely new ideas to the table.
736861, This is the way
Posted by walihorse, Sat Nov-23-19 07:23 AM
736854, Favreau is a STORYteller
Posted by Voodoochilde, Fri Nov-22-19 08:39 PM
ive watched eps 1-3, and am loving the quiet simple focused storytelling going on here....

i hope they keep it that way....keep it kinda small and quiet....i love being in the star wars UNIVERSE, but i DONT need to be tied to the Skywalker stuff at all....i dont even need 'the force' to be the focus either....just tell good, interesting character stories in the UNIVERSE and execute that flawlessly (like they've done so far) and you'll have me grinning (like ive been so far)....

have you listened to
her stuff?
v

http://www.meshell.com/site/
https://www.facebook.com/officialmeshell?fref=ts
http://www.freemyheart.com

RIP David Williams:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Williams_(guitarist)
736858, This show became exactly what I'd hoped after the pilot.
Posted by Nodima, Fri Nov-22-19 11:55 PM
Man, I rewatched Episode 2 with headphones on, then did it again, then one more time, and Episode 3 mostly continued to deliver on that while re-focusing on plot and character just enough to make it feel like the thing was moving.

Ben Lindbergh has done an excellent job at The Ringer of pointing out how much this show has mirroried a video game so far; I can't tell you how many times I took the selfish option mid-quest in an RPG to get a huge upgrade only to double back on that when it came time to do the right thing. Watching this show really does feel like playing a super well made video game circa 2019, right down to the mostly-silent protagonist and vaguely voyeuristic perspective. It was especially funny to me - but in a subtle way already so alien compared to the premiere's humor - how the infiltration went down, like a scene from the original Playstation Metal Gear Solid.

I hope Mando never takes the helmet off, I don't know if it's the direction or the soundtrack or what but that helmet is doing yeoman's work in expressing what this guy is thinking without actually showing his emotions.

~~~~~~~~~
736894, It's Disney. He'll take his helmet off AND fall in love with a babe
Posted by Vector, Mon Nov-25-19 09:26 AM
Or my name's not Vector.
736895, Deborah Chow spoke about this recently (re: the Helmet)
Posted by CaptNish, Mon Nov-25-19 09:54 AM

>I hope Mando never takes the helmet off, I don't know if it's
>the direction or the soundtrack or what but that helmet is
>doing yeoman's work in expressing what this guy is thinking
>without actually showing his emotions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/22/arts/television/the-mandalorian-star-wars-baby-yoda.html

"A lot of the way we worked with Pedro — and that’s part of what Dave and I were trying to get the hang of when we started shooting — is his physicality became incredibly important. We had to develop a language, a physicality. There’s a lot of stillness in the character. All his movement is intentional. There’s no fidgeting or relaxing, so that any time, even if he makes a small move or turns his head, it becomes meaningful. We couldn’t do it with his face or with his eyes. It also becomes critical, as a director, to use the camera to support that emotionally, to help convey what he’s feeling a lot of the times."
736901, The music is so dope especially the theme song
Posted by Heinz, Mon Nov-25-19 11:43 AM
I was bumping that shit on Spotify like it was a club joint lol

----------

IG @erichrigonan
736869, “No disintegrations!” (c) Darth Vader
Posted by mrhood75, Sat Nov-23-19 08:32 PM
Wonder if it’s just a Mandolorian to just straight up vaporize enemies.
736929, it seems only some have this weapon or a weapon that can do that
Posted by Heinz, Tue Nov-26-19 02:12 PM
I dont remember ever seeing it in the other shows. And when anyone witnesses it in this show almost like they didnt believe its capabilities
----------

IG @erichrigonan
736930, I listen to the theme song a lot LOL
Posted by Heinz, Tue Nov-26-19 02:13 PM
https://open.spotify.com/track/6tJFtthY0rI1x06qb8NjK0?si=THC0rAp3RdqdCzdA12MZkQ

Honestly its becoming my fav piece of music in the entire Star Wars universe. Rey's theme probably edges it out for me.

----------

IG @erichrigonan
736942, Werner Herzog: "You are cowards" *swipe*
Posted by CaptNish, Wed Nov-27-19 01:26 PM
I love this man. He's out heard ready to cut you for Dat Baby

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/11/werner-herzog-baby-yoda-cowards-puppet-cgi-1202192502/

Werner Herzog Called ‘Mandalorian’ Crew Cowards for Nearly Replacing Baby Yoda Puppet With CGI
Sorry, but no one is a bigger Baby Yoda fan than "The Mandalorian" supporting actor Werner Herzog.

Zack Sharf

Nov 26, 2019 5:42 pm

@zsharf

"The Mandalorian"
“The Mandalorian”

Disney+

Baby Yoda from “The Mandalorian” has captured the hearts of “Star Wars” fans across the country, but no one loves Baby Yoda more than Werner Herzog. The legendary director stars in “The Mandalorian” as The Client, an antagonist figure who has nefarious plans in store for Baby Yoda. In real life, Herzog is obsessed with Baby Yoda. The director is so protective over the show’s signature creature that he put “The Mandalorian” on blast when they considered replacing the Baby Yoda puppet with a CGI version of the character.

Vanity Fair reporter Anthony Breznican writes that at a recent “Mandalorian” screening the series’ co-writer and co-director Dave Filoni revealed that Herzog acted with contempt on set upon the CGI Baby Yoda discovery. After a take using the puppet, the crew got ready for another take without the puppet “in case they decided during postproduction that the puppet wasn’t convincing enough and a digital version had to be substituted.”

Herzog had a reaction that is instantly iconic: “You are cowards,” the director said. “Leave it.”

The “Fitzcarraldo” director made headlines earlier this month for admitting that the sight of the Baby Yoda puppet on set brought him to tears. “I have seen it on the set. And it’s heartbreaking! It’s heartbreakingly beautiful,” Herzog told Variety on “The Mandalorian” world premiere red carpet. “It looked absolutely convincing. It made you cry when you saw it.”

Two technicians operate the Baby Yoda puppet on set. “One was for the eyes and the mouth and the other one was for other facial expressions,” Herzog explained. “It’s a phenomenal technological achievement but, beyond the technological achievement, it’s heartbreaking.”

While Disney+ has not released viewership numbers for “The Mandalorian,” the show seems to be hitting a chord with viewers based on all the endless chatter about Baby Yoda on social media. The lack of merchandise for the character this holiday season has led to fan outrage and has prompted an overwhelming demand for Baby Yoda plush toys. Baby Yoda toys are in the works, but they won’t be ready until 2020. New episodes of “The Mandalorian” debut Fridays on Disney+.
736943, bit off topic, but I get more giddy for Herzog scenes than Baby Yoda
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Nov-27-19 02:26 PM
scenes

no shot at LilBabYoda, but the way Werner delivers these lines ("how uncharacteristic") is just fucking beyond stellar
736945, werner is definitely the salt bae *flick* on the series
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Nov-27-19 02:27 PM

736952, Agreed. His weird delivery is quite menacing.
Posted by Vector, Thu Nov-28-19 11:03 AM
736956, I could listen to him narrate the phone book. n/m
Posted by Nopayne, Thu Nov-28-19 09:06 PM
736981, It would be the most compelling reading ever
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Sat Nov-30-19 04:33 PM
Cuz made Grizzly Man good.
736953, Is PP directed to sound like Clint Eastwood?
Posted by Vector, Thu Nov-28-19 11:25 AM
Because he sure does to me.
736961, OG Boba Fett sounded like Clint Eastwood
Posted by Mynoriti, Fri Nov-29-19 01:51 PM
before Lucas made him from New Zealand
736962, Chapter 4: Sanctuary
Posted by handle, Fri Nov-29-19 02:11 PM
A lot of Baby Yoda.

Gina Carano is hunky.

We see Krill.

Klatooinian raiders.

Mandolrian says he does in fact remove helmet to eat - but if anyone sees his face he can't put the helmet back on. He then removes helmet and eats a meal while starting out a giant window hold where at least 50 people can see his face.

Why doesn't he have a name? You'd think that the Mandolraii tribe would have some way to differentiate themselves - even if only used internally. Dr Seuss even gave Thing 1 and thing 2 a way to tell the difference.

Some Kubaz bounty hunter shows up and (seemingly) takes a shot at Baby Yoda - I thought that was actually well directed.

I think we will discover the Mandoliarian's name will be Sanjuro.

736963, PP said his name in a featurette
Posted by Heinz, Fri Nov-29-19 03:03 PM

----------

IG @erichrigonan
736965, Weakest episode
Posted by navajo joe, Fri Nov-29-19 09:19 PM
But shout out to Gina Carano for improving her acting a bunch. Very much looking forward to her being in a recurring role. Pedro Pascal did some great voice work. I laughed out loud when he took off the helmet to eat a meal by a giant picture window.

The village stuff was so poorly acted and hokey that it dragged down the episode making it feel very 90s sci-fi show.

Some good stuff but overall I'd put this on the level of the pilot
736967, I enjoyed the fuck out of it
Posted by Heinz, Fri Nov-29-19 11:06 PM

----------

IG @erichrigonan
736978, No surprise the weakest episode comes from BDHoward
Posted by KingMonte, Sat Nov-30-19 12:43 PM
Because children of privilege that get jobs behind the scenes works out so well (see also MTV and hip hop). BTW, Ron Howard seems like a nice enough guy, but nothing he has ever done has inspired me, outside of making out with Mary Beth (Happy Days).
737181, RE: Weakest episode
Posted by Original Juice, Mon Dec-09-19 03:50 PM
Agreed.

It kinda lost its tone with this one..

Then, I saw in the credits that Bryce Dallas Howard was the director.

It had some good elements to it, but it seemed more like standard sci fi television fare.
736968, Kids shamed that baby out of his frog snack.
Posted by JFrost1117, Sat Nov-30-19 01:56 AM
736972, I laughed when that happened
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Sat Nov-30-19 09:43 AM
BY looked so happy chomping on that frog too.
736977, RE: I laughed when that happened
Posted by JFrost1117, Sat Nov-30-19 12:16 PM
He was looking at them like “WTF? This shit tastes amazing.” And that frog got the fuck on after that hesitation.
736976, The Disneyfication started here
Posted by Vector, Sat Nov-30-19 12:00 PM
I knew it would happen and this episode was corny as fuck.
736997, yeah, star wars never did anything like this before Disney
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Dec-02-19 07:58 AM
not in...uh...every single movie

736992, Anyone else geek out at the...
Posted by CaptNish, Sun Dec-01-19 11:10 PM
...Loth-cat?
737000, Yep!
Posted by Heinz, Mon Dec-02-19 11:28 AM

----------

IG @erichrigonan
737040, that thirst
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Dec-03-19 12:21 PM
She's like idgaf, you can even leave the mask on
737042, AKA The Kurosawa Episode.
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Tue Dec-03-19 01:27 PM
Pretty much ripped straight from Seven Samurai.

Kinda neat when you think about the fact that Lucas was inspired by Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress.

Predictable episode but still likeable enough.

Still wanna pinch Baby Yoda's cheeks.

(man those things are gonna go like hotcakes when they hit the shelves. Might have to stalk out a Target or two and stockpile)

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.
737045, The A-Team episode.
Posted by KnowOne, Tue Dec-03-19 02:33 PM
lol
737050, so far this show feels like a throwback to that type of show
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Dec-03-19 04:41 PM
than what we're used to in the post sopranos era

this feels more in line with the a-team, or star trek, or even gunsmoke. there's a larger narrative but they have these kinda self-contained week to week adventures
737048, This felt like an expensive episode of Xena: Warrior Princess
Posted by Melanism, Tue Dec-03-19 03:50 PM
737182, RE: This felt like an expensive episode of Xena: Warrior Princess
Posted by Original Juice, Mon Dec-09-19 03:51 PM
LOL
737150, They need to do better
Posted by navajo joe, Sun Dec-08-19 07:13 PM
1. Stop casting comedians in cameo roles. None of them have been good, none of them added anything and it's distracting.

2. Throw Bobby Canavale's kid in the Sarlaac Pit. Someone above, mentioned Dallas Bryce Howard as an example of Hollywood nepotism. I think she's taken her time and her direction was largely ok. Canavale was bad and gratingly so. Hope he came cheap.

3. If you want to do episode of the week, I'm down. Just do it fucking well. Don't follow the mold of z-grade TV Westerns from the days of yore. Look at season 1 of Justified and what they did to establish interesting main characters, a larger narrative while doing contained episodes. It was throwback that felt fresh and was actually fun and had some narrative propulsion.

4. Don't let Filoni write or direct. Let him executive produce and sit in interviews with his cowboy hat like some modern day Robert Rodriguez.

I actually forgot this came out this week and I think lack of an up on this is indicative of people cooling on this. You can only trot out Baby Yoda so many times when everything around it doesn't amount to much of anything.

Someone compared this to Bounty Law (from OUATIH) as a good thing. That's stupid because A. Bounty Law isn't real. B. Bounty Law sucked. That was the point. Shitty western television in Star Wars drag is just shitty western television in Star Wars drag.

737151, Lmao shutyup nerd
Posted by Heinz, Sun Dec-08-19 07:28 PM

----------

IG @erichrigonan
737155, I liked this one considerably better than the previous one
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Dec-09-19 02:21 AM
Probably because I like Westerns. And Tatooine. I also liked the "Shadows of the Empire"/Expanded Universe reference in the opening scene.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that the person who found the corpse at the end is another Mandalorian. Probably even Boba Fett.
737156, same ..
Posted by Mynoriti, Mon Dec-09-19 04:02 AM
I dug the opening scene and all the callbacks
Tatooine, Tusken Raiders, same cantina. Homie doing the han solo pose at his table, Mando dropping a Boba Fett line. Droid bartender an a place where droids weren't allowed.

Plus I dont mind that this show is pretty much Gunsmoke in the Star Wars universe

>I'm going to go ahead and guess that the person who found the
>corpse at the end is another Mandalorian. Probably even Boba
>Fett.

I dont think its Boba Fett because Baby Yoda has already overshadowed Mando enough. Im assuming its Gus Fring
737157, fring seems more likely? people seem to have forgotten he's coming
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Dec-09-19 06:51 AM
I just wish the internet didn't have to be two hundred "entertainment" sites posting the same GUESS WHO JUST SHOWED UP ON MANDALORIAN story an hour after the episode goes up

737159, Shit's the worst
Posted by CaptNish, Mon Dec-09-19 07:22 AM
>I just wish the internet didn't have to be two hundred
>"entertainment" sites posting the same GUESS WHO JUST SHOWED
>UP ON MANDALORIAN story an hour after the episode goes up

Especially since the "Sources" are usually "...some guy on Reddit posted a theory."
737161, it's still great, BUT
Posted by BigWorm, Mon Dec-09-19 08:11 AM
Now I'm starting to wonder if it's going anywhere.

I love baby Yoda like everyone else, but is this going to have one main story arc, or just the weekly adventures of our favorite sci-fi gunslinger as he babysits an unbelievably adorable space baby?

I prefer the former. I'll keep watching, but the latter is going to lose my interest after season 1.

Just an early thought. Right now the show is doing alright by me.
737164, I'm almost out on this
Posted by tully_blanchard, Mon Dec-09-19 08:59 AM
I'm gonna finish the season, but like you..I'd appreciate a larger arc than just "the weekly adventures of a bounty hunter and cute creature"

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/bobgeorge87

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/
737177, Eh, not everything needs to be serialized
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Dec-09-19 02:45 PM
I know it's the default setting for almost two decades now, but every series doesn't need to be an 10-episode book. I think there's a time and place for stand-alone episodes, and this is a good series to use that model.

Besides, I imagine that they're going to bring it back to The Client and the Doctor by the final two episodes of the season.
737178, yeah, these are clearly filler episodes.
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Dec-09-19 02:48 PM
so their only real job is to not suck

737179, its crazy how used to that we've become
Posted by Mynoriti, Mon Dec-09-19 03:33 PM
most of us grew up on these Knight Rider/A-Team type action shows, and reruns of 60s westerns, or the Hulk. Favreau did too. It seems weird returning to that style, especially on a streaming service, but also kinda cool on some level.

>I know it's the default setting for almost two decades now,
>but every series doesn't need to be an 10-episode book. I
>think there's a time and place for stand-alone episodes, and
>this is a good series to use that model.
>
>Besides, I imagine that they're going to bring it back to The
>Client and the Doctor by the final two episodes of the
>season.
737184, agreed
Posted by navajo joe, Mon Dec-09-19 03:55 PM
if only it was good
737185, I agree, although I did think the most recent one was weak
Posted by pretentious username, Mon Dec-09-19 04:54 PM
but the previous one where they find the village and he thinks about leaving Baby Yoda there was a perfectly good stand-alone that still serves the story.
737194, you're not wrong
Posted by BigWorm, Tue Dec-10-19 01:34 PM
Not everything needs to be serialized.

I kind of want this show to be though. I personally prefer shows with a spread out story arc. If not one main one, then at least a seasonal story arc. But who cares what I think, it's the number one show in the world right now, episodic or serial I think it's going to do fine for a while.

737196, They have a story arc lol
Posted by Heinz, Tue Dec-10-19 05:15 PM
With Filoni and Fav doing this they def have a story arch, especially if you are a lover of Clon Wars and Rebels because the way they are doing this seems to fit that exact mold and I'm here for it.
----------

IG @erichrigonan
737199, Both these last two episodes have related to the main story though
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Dec-10-19 07:11 PM
Mando goes to the planet in episode for the lay low from the guild members chasing him. As mentioned above, he almost decides to leave Baby Yoda there before a bounty hunter shows up.

This last episode opens with him being chased by someone who wants the bounty. And the fact that Mando is wanted become the motivation for the dumbass wanna-be in the episodes final act.

So there's always a through line. It's fair to question the quality of the stuff arounf it these past two episods (like I said, I liked this week's ep, but not the one before that), but these aren't episodes of Go-Bots or something.
737202, Justified first season kinda did this
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Dec-11-19 02:00 AM
S1 was largely Raylan having self contained weekly adventures/gunfights while the larger universe of the show (Boyd, Ava, Arlo) was all secondary. They brought it home towards the end of the season, with the next season being more focused one one story with the random adventures being secondary. I wonder if this will play out similarly
737203, I marathoned Justified S3 with my wife last week
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Dec-11-19 02:20 AM
fantastic

737204, yeah, it's one of very few shows that seemed to only get better
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Dec-11-19 02:45 AM
and knew exactly when to end. Justified isn't on the level of Breaking Bad but its similar to it in that respect, and great in its own right
737207, Justified was fucking amazing
Posted by CaptNish, Wed Dec-11-19 07:37 AM
Easily could have lived in that world for years, but glad they got out when they did.

I actually like it more than Breaking Bad, but that's completely due to the performances and less the show itself.
737217, I think if Elmore Leonard wouldn't have died, it wouldn't have kept going
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Dec-11-19 12:51 PM
Or rather, they decided once he died that it was time to wrap it up.

Leonard seemed committed to writing about the Raylan character once the show hit the air. His final novel, "Raylan," while awful, was essentially an idea factory for "Justified." Yost and crew pulled seasons worth of characters, episode ideas, plot developments, and other minutiae out of it (and made it better each and every time). So at the time of his death, Leonard was working on ***anotheer*** Raylan Givens book.

And once Leonard did die, they used his other books for inspiration; the John Tucker character in the final season was lifted out of one his early books.
737212, Justified is phenomenal and absolutely what this show should strive for
Posted by navajo joe, Wed Dec-11-19 11:12 AM
and as I mentioned twice above, its first season should absolutely be the model for how to make this show successful.

That and Boetticher westerns (which the last episode bore a lot of resemblance to) should be hugely influential. Especially since those films had a relatively wooden lead in Randolph Scott who Boetticher surrounded with excellent character actors in small roles and as villains. Since Mando, by default has limitations don't use comedians that can't fucking act, get great, under-utilized character actors and let them bring things to life. Much of Justified's success can be attributed to the same tactic although Olyphant was a fantastic, charismatic lead.

Also, Boetticher was a model of simple, economical storytelling and action direction doing more in 80 minutes than most directors can do in twice that.

Not to derail this into a Justified discussion but it is infinitely rewatchable and had precisely one bad season and that was still better than most shows on TV.
737269, yuuuup
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Dec-13-19 11:27 PM

737218, Season 3 was amazing
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Dec-11-19 12:53 PM
Season 2 got the most critical and Emmy love, but I enjoyed Season 3 just as much. I might be wrong, but I think Raylan only killed one person that entire season too.
737219, Thanks everyone, now I gotta rewatch Justified
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Wed Dec-11-19 12:57 PM
Fuck I miss that show so much.
737293, i've never seen Justified
Posted by Madvillain 626, Mon Dec-16-19 06:18 AM
i should probably get on that considering at least one episode was filmed literally across the street from my place
737225, I was explaining to my wife why so many things in S3 went that way
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Dec-11-19 03:36 PM
after raylan killed like a million people in the first two seasons they just started concocting plots where he never shot anyone

737216, Ha. I really almost did reference Season 1 of Justified.
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Dec-11-19 12:45 PM
Which I enjoyed quite a bit. But if I recall, people and critics complained even then that it wasn't serialized enough. And, of course, the show got even better afterwards, but I had no real problems with Season 1.
737222, I have next to no interest
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Dec-11-19 02:25 PM
in the show in the original post, but I too will re-watch Justified. That is, I will once I'm done re-watching all three seasons of The Leftovers.

If I'm not mistaken, all the seasons for Justified are available on Amazon Video for free for Prime members. Just putting that out there for other folks that may be interested in the show.
737226, The baddies were one of the best parts of Justified.
Posted by Nopayne, Wed Dec-11-19 03:38 PM
There was enough thought and backstory in each of them to make them be a Big Bad for an entire season of the show. I was always somewhat surprised when the writers would basically be done with them after just one or two episodes.
737228, I thought Justified was okay during season 1, but by Seasoan 5 it was AWFUl
Posted by handle, Wed Dec-11-19 05:46 PM
The time Raylan got hurt and couldn't use his super power (the dead on shot at all times) jsut sort of resolved itself within an episode - and his was back to being the wrold's greatest gunfighter.

But what really really really made me think it was jsut a waste of time is when Boyd was being played completely by the funeral home guy and had absolutely no answer or way to deal with it. He was completely got and would never find his way out.

So the funeral home guy's WIFE (Mara??) tells Boyd exactly what to do - to swap bodies out - and he does it.

Didn't make me think he was a smart criminal to root for, but an person who's just really lucky.
737242, there's always one
Posted by Mynoriti, Thu Dec-12-19 03:36 PM
737252, Bill Burr? After Episode 6, I want a Kat Williams episode
Posted by BigWorm, Fri Dec-13-19 07:42 AM
737254, Best episode of the series
Posted by navajo joe, Fri Dec-13-19 09:56 AM
Burr was great, the action sequences were well done and it was a fun take on a heist/escape story with a number of fun, cool moments throughout. Plus the Baby Yoda gag was great. I liked that Richard Ayoade's droid wasn't played for laughs and type annoying like what they did in Solo.

Mark Boone Jr. and the set-up on his ship was a bit clunky and Sister Hiss-A-Lot and her brother were awful. But the episode was strong enough to not be dragged down by their performances.
737256, true, but I'm always happy to see Mark Boone Jr. on screen
Posted by BigWorm, Fri Dec-13-19 10:53 AM
737257, Yup
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Fri Dec-13-19 12:26 PM
This should bring back all the folks that didn't like the last two eps. I actually enjoyed the entire cast of this episode.

Finally Clancy Brown in live-action Star Wars role, it made my day to see that. Ditto on the Mark Boone Jr., that dude has been around for a long time.

I had no problem with the hissing T'wilek it was a different take on the species and I enjoyed Osha from GOT in the role. Bill Bur was perfect in his role and I'd like to see his character come back. I like the stormtroopers who can't shoot jokes.

Can't wait for next week's two eps and finally getting the tie into the Skywalker saga.
737267, ahh, i couldn't place her
Posted by Mynoriti, Fri Dec-13-19 05:46 PM
>I had no problem with the hissing T'wilek it was a different
>take on the species and I enjoyed Osha from GOT in the role.

737266, Easily. This one was great
Posted by Mynoriti, Fri Dec-13-19 05:45 PM
Burr got Jar Jar jokes. He was perfect for this.

great mix of tension/action and a bit of comedy.

The Baby Yoda gag was good. You never really get the sense he's in danger, but when they just dropped him, it's like yooo :( lol.

737274, "I WASN'T A STORMTROOPER!"
Posted by mrhood75, Sat Dec-14-19 02:30 PM
That was some pretty good shade as well.
737277, the ongoing jabs at stormtrooper skills are pretty funny
Posted by Mynoriti, Sat Dec-14-19 05:21 PM
>That was some pretty good shade as well.
737286, Also the Canto Bight joke
Posted by Heinz, Sun Dec-15-19 08:10 PM
Saying the Razor Crest looks like a Canto Bight slot machine lol
----------

IG @erichrigonan
737287, yeah Tonks was fucking horrible
Posted by CaptNish, Sun Dec-15-19 08:23 PM
>Sister Hiss-A-Lot and her brother were awful. But the episode
>was strong enough to not be dragged down by their
>performances.

That was like theme park level acting. Shit was atrocious.
737326, Episode 7: another great ep, but sadly no Kat Williams
Posted by BigWorm, Wed Dec-18-19 08:23 AM
I was getting a kick out of the idea that each episode would bring in a comedic actor/comedian for a role where they mostly play it straight. At least give us Keenan as a storm trooper.

But still a great ep. It gives me hope that this isn't just the Star Wars version of Lone Wolf and Cub.

Also it's great to see Giancarlo Esposito show up as the big bad of another show.
737327, Amazing episode...
Posted by soulfunk, Wed Dec-18-19 09:14 AM
Great to see the plot lines from previous episodes all coming back. Deborah Chow directed my two favorite episodes this season.

That cliffhanger though? Gonna be a tough week and a half waiting for the finale.
737340, Fuck this was amazing
Posted by Heinz, Wed Dec-18-19 03:37 PM
Also Toronto for the win with Deborah Chow!

----------

IG @erichrigonan
737341, So good. Way to bring it all together.
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Dec-18-19 04:32 PM
and we got so used to the self-contained eps where Baby Yoda is never in actual danger, so you just know IG11 is gonna pop out of the Crest and light these troopers up, until it doesn't happen.

Fantastic episode all around. We got Herzog back, Fring. Baby Yoda honing his powers...

Carl Weathers looks like he's having so much fun in this role
737342, This right here....
Posted by soulfunk, Wed Dec-18-19 09:09 PM
>Baby
>Yoda honing his powers...

This was amazing - we see his powers get developed both on the light side (healing Karga) and the dark (force choke). Combine that with Kuiil’s story about reprogramming IG-11 and him telling Mando that a droid isn’t good or bad, it does what it’s programmed to do. For Mando as a new “father” he’s gotta be thinking about that for baby Yoda - if he’s raising him in a lifestyle where he only sees violence and darkness, that’s what he’s gonna be.
737343, Just rewatched and peeped something else about the child.
Posted by soulfunk, Wed Dec-18-19 09:46 PM
He definitely understands everything he’s hearing when they talk. The cute scene where he pops his head in upside down while Mando and Cara Dune are talking? He was overheating them discussing the plan to go back to the client. He listened in and was like “hell naw” and then started trying to turn the ship around. First time I watched it I thought it was just another cute scene of him playing around with buttons on the ship, but no, he’s frantically trying to turn the ship around to avoid going back to dude who was likely torturing him with experiments.
737347, good call
Posted by rdhull, Wed Dec-18-19 11:49 PM
>He definitely understands everything he’s hearing when they
>talk. The cute scene where he pops his head in upside down
>while Mando and Cara Dune are talking? He was overheating them
>discussing the plan to go back to the client. He listened in
>and was like “hell naw” and then started trying to turn
>the ship around. First time I watched it I thought it was just
>another cute scene of him playing around with buttons on the
>ship, but no, he’s frantically trying to turn the ship
>around to avoid going back to dude who was likely torturing
>him with experiments.
737353, RE: Episode 7: another great ep, but sadly no Kat Williams
Posted by navajo joe, Thu Dec-19-19 12:04 PM
Some of the dialogue still needs work but overall this was my favorite episode of the season so far.

I remain impressed in Carano's improved acting chops and think her and Mando are a fun duo.

Plus the stuff at the end had scale that I really liked. Plus nice to see Storm Troopers just chilling and being regular people. Those little details are great

737360, Baby Yoda and Carano
Posted by Mynoriti, Thu Dec-19-19 03:18 PM
any chance she's actually a threat?
737362, I doubt she's a threat
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Thu Dec-19-19 03:53 PM
She's more of the I don't trust anyone/anything that is connected to the Empire. Plus she's a "fugitive" from the New Rebuplic. so she gotta stay with Mando on this one.

But I could be wrong.
737364, yeah, i don't think she is either
Posted by Mynoriti, Thu Dec-19-19 04:12 PM
there's def nothing she's done to indicate it but i wondered if LBY being over protective in that moment was a possible sign of something more.
737381, Back to what I like about the show
Posted by Nodima, Fri Dec-20-19 09:47 AM
The three serials were fine, in a low budget, killing some time flipping channels on my cable box in 2004 and something weird's on the Sci-Fi Channel kind of way, but by Chapter 6 I admit I was starting to lose patience. I love Bill Burr, Clancy Brown, and Osha (sorry actress) in other roles but that was a rough look for everybody. I even found the stage production pretty dull honestly.

Turns out, Mando is a lot like the rest of Star Wars media in 2019. I love about 15% of it, like about 70% of it, and really, really don't like the last 15% of it. All I want is this weirdly dark Werner Herzog vision of post-Imperial life, and I guess if I have to endure some goofy, no-stakes Seven Samurai and rote jail break episodes, fine.

~~~~~~~~~
737385, that's Star Wars all the time
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Dec-20-19 10:50 AM

737386, Im loving this show but it makes me want to see Rise of Skywalker less
Posted by Mynoriti, Fri Dec-20-19 12:08 PM
I wasn't exactly hyped to begin with but Mandalorian gave me all the Star Wars universe fix I need. The sneak peak at the end of this ep did nothing for me except remind me it'll be cool to see Lando, but its probably going to be the first Star Wars movie I didn't see in the theater
737388, it really feels like they should just do TV shows
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Dec-20-19 01:41 PM
or if it's a movie, an out of sequence joint like rogue 1

737389, Yeah
Posted by Mynoriti, Fri Dec-20-19 03:37 PM
Rogue One was great. I even like Solo more than the new Trilogy. And I don't even hate the new ones, they're just uninteresting.
737406, Wow
Posted by Nodima, Sat Dec-21-19 03:23 AM
After finally seeing it a few months ago, Solo got a bad rap. But that movie still didn't compare to the spectacle and panache of the mainline VII-IX movies, especially VIII and IX. And I'm more out than in on both of 'em.

The more audiences get reminded of Han, the more Solo feels lost in time. That movie would've been so cool at a time when Rocketeer and Dick Tracy were bombing.

~~~~~~~~~
737407, with all the love Baby Yoda is getting, imagine if they'd made a Chewie
Posted by Rjcc, Sat Dec-21-19 05:51 AM
movie instead

good bad or otherwise, Solo was just the wrong flick at the wrong time and nobody can play young Harrison Ford except for young Harrison Ford

737420, the only memorable moments of 7-9 for me
Posted by Mynoriti, Sat Dec-21-19 01:05 PM
involve characters from 4-6. That might be my own hangup because the og trilogy is so dear to my heart. I mean, *like* Rey/Fin/Poe/bb88, but I literally just had to look up Fin and Poe because I forgot their names lol. Kyloren is more whiney than menacing to me. He should have kept his mask on.

I pretty much agree with what you said about Solo, though I enjoyed myself. I think it being stand alone makes it easier to swallow.

737525, minor complaint but giancarlo in the episode thumbnail
Posted by Reeq, Fri Dec-27-19 10:43 AM
kinda messed up the reveal for me.

i wish i didnt know he was in the episode before he appeared.
737528, Not only the thumbnails, but the recaps at the beginning
Posted by soulfunk, Fri Dec-27-19 01:51 PM
of the last two episodes spoiled who would show up.

>kinda messed up the reveal for me.
>
>i wish i didnt know he was in the episode before he appeared.
737530, oh i always skip the recap so i missed that.
Posted by Reeq, Fri Dec-27-19 02:13 PM
that seemed like something they would wanna keep under wraps but i guess not lol.
737521, Episode 8: The Season Finale (I guess)
Posted by BigWorm, Fri Dec-27-19 07:18 AM
A good enough episode, but for me it fell a little flat as a season finale. It didn't pack enough of a punch to have me eager for the next season.

SPOILER:

That was a lightsaber that Giancarlo Esposito had, right? It looked kind of like it but not quite. If it was that's at least a little more intriguing.

I'm glad they finally gathered in a set supporting cast, instead of mostly new characters every episode--even if right now we only have about three. I'll take it.

I hope they delve into Esposito's backstory in the future. That's probably just because he was such a complex villain in Breaking Bad that I want this show to really make use of the actor's range.

I'd give it a solid B. Very entertaining, but the only "OH SHIT" moment happened in the very first episode with the baby Yoda reveal. The rest was well done eye candy that didn't really make me feel any kind of way.

Now, sadly, unless Disney have some BIG surprises ahead, we have to wait a whole year before they hit us with another potentially exciting show. Hopefully so or they might start losing subscribers mighty quick. I (perhaps unwisely) paid for a year subscription, so I guess I'm in it for the long term regardless.
737522, That was the darksaber.
Posted by soulfunk, Fri Dec-27-19 07:47 AM
Introduced in the Clone Wars and also appeared in Rebels. Goes back to thousand(s) of years ago and was made by a Mandalorian who became a Jedi. When he died, the darksaber was left in the Jedi temple, but Mandalorians eventually stole it back. Whoever wields the darksaber is considered to be the leader of all warrior Mandalorians.

In the Clone Wars, Darth Maul successfully challenged for it, killing Pre Vizla (voiced by Jon Favreau) and becoming leader of the Death Watch. During Star Wars Rebels, Sabine got the Darksaber, and gave it to Bo-Katan to lead the Mandalorians. So with Moff Gideon having it here, and them alluding to him being the cause of the purge of the Mandalorians, I’m guessing Bo-Katan is dead.

I thought this episode was awesome - we got some answers, with plenty of mystery still there going into season 2. The action was incredible - Mando using the jet pack to go after Gideon was straight up cinematic quality action. I loved the comedy of the scout troopers just kicking it waiting for orders (glad they got quickly killed though after bopping Baby Yoda in the head.) I also loved the extended flashback to the Clone Wars showing what happened to Mandi’s parents. By the way, the Mandalorians who saved him had Death Watch insignias.

The only nit picky thing I didn’t like in this entire episode was Cara Dune’s “I won’t leave you” line to Mando before they escaped into the sewers - I get her arguing with him to try to get him to come with them, but “I won’t leave you”??? We haven’t seen their relationship as colleagues progress nearly enough to believe she’d die just to stay by his side. Gina has improved her acting chops, but that line of dialogue was a tough sell.
737523, thanks
Posted by BigWorm, Fri Dec-27-19 09:04 AM
That makes him a much more significant character. It's almost like you need that backstory to understand the gravity of that last scene. Otherwise it's just like damn that sword is the business.

Also yeah the stormtrooper part at the beginning was great. Especially them trying to hit that target and being awful shots. When I saw that Taika Watiti directed it, it made perfect sense.

737527, pretty sure one of them was jason sudeikis.
Posted by Reeq, Fri Dec-27-19 01:43 PM
>I loved the comedy
>of the scout troopers just kicking it waiting for orders

if not...he sounded just like him.

i wouldnt mind a 'buddy cop' comedy series of storm troopers like those 2.

737529, Yep. He was the trooper who didn't want to open the bag.
Posted by soulfunk, Fri Dec-27-19 01:54 PM
That dialogue was great..."how long has it been since you saw it move?" "You just wanna see it"...

Plus them not being able to shoot the tin can...lmao...
737534, this was too funny
Posted by Mynoriti, Fri Dec-27-19 05:14 PM

>Plus them not being able to shoot the tin can...lmao...
737533, this ep felt really uneven, but had some great moments
Posted by Mynoriti, Fri Dec-27-19 05:08 PM
IG rolling into town was pretty badass. He kinda stole this episode

I hated them being on lava because I hate anything that reminds me of the prequels

Overall fun and action packed. The pacing just felt messy
737536, maybe it's an assumption to decide
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Dec-27-19 11:00 PM
that they won't have anything good until mandalorian S2

but it's what you already wanted to think, so

737557, I said "unless Disney have some BIG surprises ahead"
Posted by BigWorm, Mon Dec-30-19 07:07 AM
Mufucka you don't know what I'm thinking
737561, yeah. you said the same shit you've been saying
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Dec-30-19 01:28 PM
I heard you.

it's still ridiculous

737562, whatever. see you next time, troll
Posted by BigWorm, Mon Dec-30-19 01:53 PM
It's so ridiculous but you have some bullshit to say about it every single time. If it's that ridiculous, then get off my ass like you a pair of boxers and comment on something worth your time.
737567, wow, I guess I'm the only one who thinks you're capable
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Dec-30-19 10:20 PM
of doing better

737535, I kinda absolutely love how much Carl Weathers is hamming it up
Posted by Mynoriti, Fri Dec-27-19 05:19 PM
He looks like he hasn't had this much fun since the pre fight against Drago

WHAT A MAGNIFICENT LITTLE CREATURE
737541, Bru when he did the hand wave
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Sat Dec-28-19 12:33 PM
My wife and I cracked up.
737547, he’s so much fun to watch n/m
Posted by pretentious username, Sat Dec-28-19 07:06 PM
737559, him doing the three finger hand gesture
Posted by navajo joe, Mon Dec-30-19 10:20 AM
trying to get him to use his force powers and baby yoda waving back might be the best thing in Star Wars
737568, i loved the finale....
Posted by Voodoochilde, Mon Dec-30-19 11:10 PM
i really loved this last episode man. it had everything in abundance: humor, drama action, emotion, fun stuff, cool stuff...all executed perfectly in my opinion.

Its official now, this show & Rouge One movie are probably my favorite Star Wars things...
737569, Highlight for me: Giancarlo's Tie fighter. That shit is a space Bugatti
Posted by Castro, Tue Dec-31-19 01:28 AM
737579, Corey Feldman?
Posted by rdhull, Tue Dec-31-19 01:11 PM
738256, Rosario cast as Ahsoka
Posted by go mack, Fri Mar-20-20 03:02 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/news/rosario-dawson-play-ahsoka-tano-190825349.html