Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRE: The movie was always set up to fail
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=731238&mesg_id=737298
737298, RE: The movie was always set up to fail
Posted by navajo joe, Mon Dec-16-19 12:27 PM
I totally hold it against him for creating a film that fully misunderstands the material. Yes, of course film wasn't the best medium to tell the story. However, the fact that he made an utterly empty shell of the original is ultimately his fault. Lindelhof and team could have made the SAME mistake and created something that was 'Watchmen' in name only. The thing is, they didn't and not just because of the medium. Because they understood what makes Watchmen tick (yuck).

It's the same reason DC films don't work. He doesn't understand the source material beyond the surface level. He understands cool but not why people connect with the material.

I would be very happy if they left this as a one and done and I don't think Lindelhof will just jump back in for no reason. Everything I've heard from him has shown a great degree of care and respect, if not reverence he has for the material and the awareness and willingness to get out of the way.

They would be fools to do it just because of the success of this season and a beyond fools to do it with anyone else.

>There was really no good way to spin that novel into a movie.
>Whatever way or take you have on the material just won't
>translate or be true to the source. Snider's version had it's
>issues, but I don't hold that totally against him because ANY
>director would have issues making a movie based on the novel.
>
>With this series, telling a story in the future with a
>backstory from the past centered in the universe the novel
>posits is a much better proposition, as you're not beholden to
>characters or storylines from the novel. Yes, you have to keep
>the throughlines there, and the motivations for the characters
>that showed up (Laurie, Ozzy) have to ring true, but you're
>free from making a sequel, so you can tell the story you want
>to tell as long as it fits the narrative of the world the
>novel created.
>
>I wouldn't be mad if they did a totally different story arc