Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectTo me that’s one of the things they actually did perfectly.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=730949&mesg_id=739927
739927, To me that’s one of the things they actually did perfectly.
Posted by soulfunk, Sun Nov-29-20 12:11 PM
They made this character who was a complete caricature, a cartoonish villain who was as one note as you can get. A character made for you to hate both in universe and also from a meta perspective of how they handled him. I just wanted him to get killed off and it always frustrating that it wasn’t happening. Loy, Josto, Zelmare/Swanee, and the Fargo mob all had chances to kill him off but didn’t for one reason or another.

Then they took this character you hated, and in the second half of the season actually started to give him depth. He ends up actually being both the brains and the brawn of the Fadda crew. He doesn’t kill Josto because he realizes that’s what Loy wants him to do. He defers to Josto and realizes they are stronger together. He shows himself to be legitimately strong and not just a talker when he goes gun blazing and fights off the Fargo attack. (There was also brains involved there, he waited until their first surge stopped, knowing they were likely reloading.) He tries to talk down Josto when he wanted to go all in on the war, knowing that it would be smarter to lay back a bit.

Then in the last episode he’s bonding with Josto, telling the story of why he was sent away, and we start to see that he’s really still that 11 year old kid who was too grown for his age, and that his development suffered because of it. (This was also foreshadowed way back to when Zelmare and Swanee attacked and he was looking like a scared kid. At that time I thought it didn’t make sense but it was absolutely showing a bit of the trauma he had in his background, being sent away from his family as a kid and having to be a child soldier in the war.) While watching the scene in the car with Josto I was thinking “wow, they actually made me start to feel for this character that I HATED.” And as soon as I started thinking that, he was dead. In the most Fargo/Coen way possible.