Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI rolled my eyes a good 5 or 6 times during this episode
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=730949&mesg_id=739657
739657, I rolled my eyes a good 5 or 6 times during this episode
Posted by navajo joe, Mon Oct-19-20 01:34 PM
It's really bad and for a show I don't think is nearly as good as everyone else does in general, I think this is now just bad television. That Chris Rock stunt casting really bit them in the ass. His best scenes were with Turman so it's only going to get worse from here on out. Rock's actually had some ok moments sprinkled throughout but he can't give the performance the show needs. Not even close.

The brother is somehow worse than Chris Rock and undercuts any sense of menace he's supposed to exude because I'm generally bewildered by the fact that no one told him to cut that shit out on set.

Jonathan Schwartzman is flying under the radar as also being terribly cast and terrible due to Rock and whoever is playing his brother but he's bad too.

There aren't characters just an assortment of quirks who vomit out dialogue that wants you to think it is smart, interesting or funny and most of it is neither.

Remember after Tarantino came on the scene and there was a glut of knock-off's that aped his style but got it all wrong? That's what this show is. It so fundamentally misunderstands why the Coen Brothers films work. So you're left w/ dialogue that someone who really likes Coen Brothers movies wrote spoken by characters that someone who really likes Coen Brothers movies created while they do things that they think Coen Brothers characters would do. To show how much of a fan they are they sprinkle in nods to Coen Brothers movies (and even nods to the show itself) that they love so much so you can tell. Unfortunately, they lack almost all of the talent and intelligence of the Coen Brothers.

It's like that meme about wanting to buy something and your mom tells you you already have some knock-off version at home. "Mom I want to watch the Coen Brothers!" "You have Coen Brothers on TV!" Yeah, no we don't.

If Coen Brothers films were more like this show, we wouldn't be talking about the Coen Brothers.

Gonna hop off this train.