Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThis season isn't good yall.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=730949&mesg_id=739654
739654, This season isn't good yall.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Oct-19-20 11:57 AM
I hate to admit it because I love the setup.

Someone called it “Sitting at Tables and Telling Long, Vaguely Threatening Stories” which was mostly what episode 5 mostly felt like. I felt like there was this big setup after Doctor Senator told off the Italian where I knew if he made that speech, he must have big guns waiting for them outside. But after making such a speech just to get shot in the street like that? WTF he think was going to happen?

Also, I've been uncertain whether it's my fault for not being able to see Chris Rock as anything other than as Chris Rock but with the speech to his wife it's clear to me that he is a bad actor/miscast. When I see people scared of him it's laughable. I fully expected his wife to laugh in his face after his speech from that episode.

I think someone on twitter identified the biggest problem with Chris Rock is that he doesn't come off as "Old Timey". He sounds like a New Yorker from 2020.

This is one of the things I chalk up to a white creator of the show but I think Noah Hawley made a mistake of not casting a Southern actor. Its one of the reasons why I think Jonathan Majors kills in Love Country, he sounds the part.

I guess people from the midwest watch other seasons of Fargo and go, that's not what Midwestern people are like but I have that feeling about the black folks depicted in the show this season.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"