Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI WAS WRONG: bad opinions you’ve had
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=730070
730070, I WAS WRONG: bad opinions you’ve had
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Jun-15-18 11:16 PM
I saw The Sixth Sense trailer and thought “another Bruce Willis led bomb”

I hated Amy Poehler on SNL

I thought the Ed Norton Hulk was better than the Ang Lee Hulk

Add on.

730072, “LOL!” When they announced Heath as joker.
Posted by Innocent Criminal, Sat Jun-16-18 05:27 AM
730074, RE: I WAS WRONG: bad opinions you’ve had
Posted by howisya, Sat Jun-16-18 12:11 PM
>I hated Amy Poehler on SNL

is this really a "bad opinion"? this was the last era i really watched the show, and i found her totally unremarkable on it at the time and still in clips i've seen since. then parks & rec came along and was almost immediately one of my favorite shows ever, largely but of course not solely because of her. i since watched the first 2 seasons of UCB and found them pretty funny, her included, and maybe in a way that was made me laugh more than SNL at its safest then and especially now, but it alone wouldn't have made me think this was a future comedy star. i think she got better with age all around.
730075, I thought Full Metal Jacket was going to be good
Posted by c71, Sat Jun-16-18 12:33 PM
It's a "spectacle" and I sort of liked it for a while (I bought the picture book when it was released - Hollywood used to do that - I also had the "A Clockwork Orange" picture book - my cousin had the "Alien" picture book), but I now admit"Full Metal Jacket" really is a mess - doesn't compare at all to "Apocalypse Now"

I have no desire to see Full Metal Jacket ever again - and I usually like watching movies over and over that I used to supposedly "like"

740948, It's ok but definitely not great
Posted by OKdamn, Fri Mar-19-21 11:22 AM
The boot camp is great .. The rest feels like a TV movie..
730076, I thought Creepshow 2 was going to be good
Posted by c71, Sat Jun-16-18 12:46 PM
loved the first Creepshow. Even though George Romero didn't return as the director, he wrote the screenplay based on Stephen King's stories (so there should have been "something" to the movie beside whatever skill director Michael Gornick brought to the movie)

but Creepshow 2 has nothing. None of the stories had any inspiration whatsoever. Just plain nothing. Painfully bad.
730077, I thought The Matrix was going to be trash based on the trailer...
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Sat Jun-16-18 06:15 PM
I thought The Matrix was going to be trash based on the trailer...
(it turned out to be one of my favorite movies)

ID4 was going to be great based on the teaser with the White House exploding. (Sorry, Frank)

Total Recall was going to be fire after the trailer (yet another reason I don't watch trailers)

730100, Total Recall was and is fire
Posted by go mack, Mon Jun-18-18 10:40 AM
unless you are talking about the shitty remake. I ride for nearly all mid 80s to early 90s Ahnold movies tho and that one is especially great to me.
730133, Yeah, I meant the remake
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Tue Jun-19-18 02:06 AM
The OG might was dope. Haven't seen it in a while but I would think the action would hold up.
730159, The remake isn't bad.
Posted by Monkey Genius, Wed Jun-20-18 09:29 AM
It just wasn't good enough to step out from the shadow of the original. On its own merits, it's a solid, well-made movie.
730177, I normally don't tell people they're wrong but you're wrong. j/k
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed Jun-20-18 06:26 PM
I don't know if the trailer raised my expectations too much or what, but that movie just didn't do it for me.

I wanted to like it and that sequence where Biel and Farrell are in the car when they drop out of the sky was really well done. But I thought the script was really poorly written.

Just my take.
730078, The Prequels weren’t *that* bad
Posted by CaptNish, Sat Jun-16-18 09:54 PM
Turns out, yes... yes they were.
730079, I had also forgotten how bad they were
Posted by Rjcc, Sat Jun-16-18 11:13 PM
my wife had never really seen any of them, when we marathoned through it was excrutiating. it's all meetings in conference rooms
www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
730084, Same thing. Marathon’d them recently
Posted by CaptNish, Sun Jun-17-18 02:32 PM
And was awestruck at how stilted and bad the dialogue is. And the pacing. And the largest critique, how joyless they are.
740593, I mean ive never thought they were remotely good
Posted by RobOne4, Fri Feb-05-21 01:47 AM
but i forgot how bad they were. I HATED THEM IMMEDIATELY. But I tried watching them again and never realized all of the stupid shit they had Jar Jar do. Like every fucking time he walks out of a room. He turns the wrong fucking way. So they hold the shot and have him turn around and comedically follow the jedi. EVERY FUCKING TIME! Jesus christ George.
740595, that shit was like childbirth
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Feb-05-21 04:36 AM
your mind refuses to allow you to remember everything about them

740611, ive never had one good thing to say about any of them
Posted by RobOne4, Fri Feb-05-21 10:40 PM
after the first one, I only saw the other two in theaters out of pure curiosity. So I was one to talk kindly about any of those 3 movies. But watching them again was even worse. Maybe just because even MORE stands out as horrible now. Like back then i thought the CGI was badly done and just a bit much. But now it looks like they are in Toon Town. God its horrible.
730094, Yep. It's because the overall story is actually good, but the
Posted by soulfunk, Mon Jun-18-18 08:30 AM
execution of it is terrible. The world-building and overall narrative is great and that's what you tend to remember until you actually rewatch them and remember how terrible the dialogue and direction of the actors is.
730107, anybody that holds that opinion ("they're OK!")
Posted by will_5198, Mon Jun-18-18 01:54 PM
I assume has not watched them in the last decade

I also did a marathon before TFA and good God they are just awful movies on nearly every level
730117, Same here. Did the 'machete' order before The Force Awakens
Posted by spenzalii, Mon Jun-18-18 03:10 PM
Still mad at myself for that. The only thing holding The Clone Wars together is it's not as bad as Phantom Menace, but it's almost as bad.
730131, Even the scenes people *liked* back in the day are mostly trash.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Jun-19-18 01:42 AM
The Darth Maul light saber fight had good music, but the green screen is embarrassing, the cutting is mostly bad, and there's nothing at stake cuz the movie is garbage.

And the Yoda/Chris Lee fight? If you have fond memories of it, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES REWATCH IT.

They're some of the worst "big movies" ever made.
730318, i love Phantom Menace, altho Jar Jar is wack
Posted by justin_scott, Fri Jun-29-18 05:45 AM
Episode 2 i didn't like. Episode 3 was dope AF though.
730138, Oh, they suck... But each one has some saving grace...
Posted by phenompyrus, Tue Jun-19-18 07:49 AM
Episode I... Darth Maul; The final lightsaber duel might be the best one in a live-action film; Pod race

Episode II... Dozens of Jedi at the same time; Yoda using a lightsaber (don't care how silly this is in retrospect, it's almost like a "So bad, it's good" moment to a degree)

Episode III... Another great lightsaber duel

The main problem though is Hayden Christenson was really, really bad. Jake Lloyd wasn't great either. Natalie Portman didn't do anything for me in these movies, but that showed just how bad the scripts were really.
730145, These are the worst movies I've seen the most
Posted by go mack, Tue Jun-19-18 10:14 AM
I usually see these at least once a year with a marathon with the kids. They are terrible, Episode III the best of them but still has so many flaws. I laugh when Anakin says from his point of view the Jedi are evil after he's killed a bunch of kids.
730647, i guess im in the minority cause they aren't that bad to me
Posted by shygurl, Fri Jul-20-18 01:43 AM
To be fair, beyond the special effects and world building, the original trilogy doesn't thrill me either.
730082, I personally kinda thought Aubrey Plaza was irritating in everything...
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sun Jun-17-18 10:40 AM
in everything i'd seen her in, while others seemed to dig her, her characters (and/or her portrayals of them...im not sure) just kinda always got on my nerves/irritated me.

but on the FX show "Legion" i LOVE her as Lenny....perfect match of character & acting style (similar experience with Keanu in John Wick)

have you listened to
her stuff?
v
https://www.facebook.com/officialmeshell?fref=ts
http://www.meshell.com/site/
http://www.freemyheart.com

RIP David Williams:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Williams_(guitarist)
730101, nah shes the worst
Posted by Ceej, Mon Jun-18-18 10:58 AM
730173, ^^^^yeah he's not lying
Posted by jigga, Wed Jun-20-18 04:02 PM
730207, I struggle with her outside of Parks, BUT Lenny and Ingrid are her lane
Posted by Nodima, Fri Jun-22-18 09:35 AM
She's got that nailed. I wish Ingrid Goes West was actually a good movie, but it has a really captivating opening sequence and Plaza helps that movie avoid being a completely predictable snoozer.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
740677, I was a fan but Safety Not Guaranteed makes clear she is not an actress.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Feb-11-21 12:56 PM
She is a funny girl who has perfected one character.

Kind of like Rosa from Brooklyn 911.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
730085, whoa....the Ed Norton Hulk is better than the Ang Lee Hulk.
Posted by rorschach, Sun Jun-17-18 02:41 PM
Ang Lee's Hulk.....Hulk dogs.

Ed Norton Hulk.....That awesome scene with Tim Roth walking up to the Hulk with no fear in his heart only to get kicked in the chest.

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------
730097, It really isn't.
Posted by Monkey Genius, Mon Jun-18-18 09:40 AM
730098, ^^^
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jun-18-18 10:09 AM
It was, like, a 2.5 out of 4 stars at the time for me, and in retrospect that was *really* generous. Outside of Tim Blake Nelson's scenery chewing, there's not much there anymore-- imo, it's easily the worst of the Marvels.

Lee's movie has some frustrating stuff, but it has ten times the imagination, it has better action (and, weirdly, animation imo), and its best moments absolutely smoke the best moments of Norton's Hulk. Everyone hyped the Hulk vs. Abomination fight, but it has dodgy animation/editing, whereas the Hulk desert sequence in Lee's flick is still fun today, even with the aged CGI.
730119, Glad I'm not the only one that Ang's was better
Posted by spenzalii, Mon Jun-18-18 03:21 PM
Devil dogs was its worst sin, but I have to give him props on making a literal 'comic book movie' complete with appropriate graphic panels and transitions. It wasn't perfect, but never as bad as everyone said (except the devil dogs. Those were terrible)

I never liked the look of the Ed Norton movie, which I pretty much consider a stand alone movie regardless of the end movie stinger they tacked on. And that 'Hulk SMASH!' was cringeworthy
730142, That cloud fight at the end was the worst sin.
Posted by Monkey Genius, Tue Jun-19-18 09:21 AM
I never did and still don't understand people's problem with the dogs.
730149, they looked like shit and it was dumb as hell. n/m
Posted by pretentious username, Tue Jun-19-18 12:15 PM
>I never did and still don't understand people's problem with
>the dogs.
730182, There's not a single positive thing about them. Not one.
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jun-21-18 02:11 AM
>I never did and still don't understand people's problem with the dogs

They're ridiculous. In appearance, in concept, in execution. There's not a single positive to glean from their presence.
730152, The best I can give it is "it didn't suck".
Posted by Shogun, Tue Jun-19-18 01:28 PM
I think it got judged harshly against the other Marvel movies, but yeah. It's not that good. It's watchable. But naw.

730104, literally every time I've talked about Ang Lee's Hulk
Posted by pretentious username, Mon Jun-18-18 11:41 AM
it's the exact same: we just laugh about the dog attack scene. I can appreciate what Ang Lee was going for, but he missed on the execution. Ed Norton's wasn't as ambitious but it was better.
730181, People only like Ang Lee's Hulk because they like Ang Lee. It's dog shit.
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jun-21-18 02:09 AM
>Ang Lee's Hulk.....Hulk dogs.
>
>Ed Norton Hulk.....That awesome scene with Tim Roth walking up
>to the Hulk with no fear in his heart only to get kicked in
>the chest.

Yep, there's a massive gap betwern the two.

The Ang Lee movie was trash. Garbage. Liquid dog shit.

The fact is that people who like it usually turn out to be Ang Lee fans, and that's why they like it.

The tell is blatantly obvious too:

Hulk is referred to as Ang Lee's Hulk, whereas Incredible Hulk is referred to as Ed Norton's Hulk.

If it pretentious Ang Ler fanboyism wasn't the culprit, it would be Bana vs Norton, actor vs actor, not director vs actor.
730183, I've liked maybe 3 Ang Lee movies ever.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jun-21-18 02:24 AM
And his last one, Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, was one of the more laughably bad movies made in recent years. So I don't consider myself an Ang Lee fanboy.

His movie just actually has, y'know, style. Whereas Louis Leterrier's direction on The Incredible Hulk is totally anonymous and/or bad. Blurry, dark, badly cut, etc.

I'm also not going to pretend I think Ang Lee's Hulk is completely good either. It's just a much better and more interesting rewatch than the newer one. And Bana is better than Norton. And the fight scene in the desert in Lee's is better than the Hulk/Abomination fight. *shrug* Just my opinions, of course.
730189, I've seen exactly one Ang Lee movie.
Posted by Monkey Genius, Thu Jun-21-18 10:12 AM
The Hulk.

I liked it based on my own eyes, ears, and mind.
730365, That's an even worse reason to like it
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Jul-03-18 04:24 AM
730091, a few
Posted by BigWorm, Mon Jun-18-18 06:42 AM
Infinity War? There's NO WAY that they can successfully depict that huge epic story in a movie.

Heath Leger as the Joker? That does not sound exciting or good at all.

Pacific Rim? Monsters vs. Robots?!?! GUILLERMO DEL TORO?!?!?!?! Sign me up, there is NO WAY THAT CAN BE ANYTHING LESS THAN AMAZING .

Intolerable Cruelty. "I'll watch it because the Coen Brothers can NOT make a bad movie!"

That's just off the top.

730092, Batman vs Superman?? This is gon be EPIC!!!!!!
Posted by tully_blanchard, Mon Jun-18-18 07:51 AM
Captain America? Whatever...that shit is gon be boring...

Oh man...Matrix Revolutions? Thats gon be DOPE!!!

Who cares about Apollo creeds son?

Willem Dafoe as a scuzzy motel manager? This looks DOPE!

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

http://soundcloud.com/rayandersonjr
730171, My older sister told me to go see Creed
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Jun-20-18 02:59 PM
she took me to Rocky 4 back in the day and hated the Rocky movies

but she was right, this shit was really good.

730095, If we're including opinions before seeing a film, I'm wrong WAY
Posted by soulfunk, Mon Jun-18-18 08:34 AM
more than I'm right. At least 75% of the time.
730109, I thought The Beach was a good movie for a while.
Posted by will_5198, Mon Jun-18-18 01:54 PM
730134, I liked it when it came out
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Tue Jun-19-18 02:09 AM
Haven't seen it in over 15 years tho.
730193, I don't think it's terrible but it's not great
Posted by makaveli, Thu Jun-21-18 11:11 AM
730118, 'Creed' was going to be a waste of everyone's time and money
Posted by spenzalii, Mon Jun-18-18 03:13 PM
Man I am so happy I was so wrong about that one
730120, I used to think QT was a god
Posted by will_5198, Mon Jun-18-18 03:46 PM
Pulp Fiction is still my shit but the rest of it can get tossed (Jackie Brown included)

Death Proof was when I cut the cord
730122, RE: I used to think QT was a god
Posted by tully_blanchard, Mon Jun-18-18 04:17 PM
Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Inglorious Basterds* (the first 2/3rds)

*True Romance.

Everything else you can have

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

730244, I did the exact 180 of you
Posted by biscuit, Mon Jun-25-18 03:23 PM
I used to think he was garbage.

And I still hate Pulp Fiction for the most part.

It's his other work that made me see his genius. And he is a truly gifted dialogue writer, love him or hate him.

730249, He is turrbl is dialogue
Posted by astralblak, Mon Jun-25-18 06:16 PM
I mean if you like everybody sounding the same and aiming for a pop culty couplet I guess he would be good

But nah. It's mostly expository white boy cool wannabe poetics/philosophy

It's also hella racist and sexist
730281, Jackie Brown is interesting
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Tue Jun-26-18 07:45 PM
I loved it when it came out. I even thought it worked better as a movie than Pulp Fiction. (not exactly the same as a better statement)

I tried to watch it about a year ago and whatever mystique I had for it vanished. It just seemed like it was trying too hard.

It's interesting how much his movies are essays of their time of release, even though most of his stories don't deal with current day events.

730368, All his movies are fire...
Posted by gumz, Tue Jul-03-18 06:59 AM
Including Death Proof but I couldn’t get into Hateful 8.
740576, 75% of Hateful 8 is greatness. The last 25% is the worst that QT has ever
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Feb-03-21 03:23 PM
done.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

730693, I take FULL credit for 95% of QT skepticism. He's TOTAL trash.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Sat Jul-21-18 04:10 PM
>Pulp Fiction is still my shit but the rest of it can get
>tossed (Jackie Brown included)

You only holding onto PF because of nostalgia

It's awful too

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "
730121, also, re: Parks and Rec
Posted by will_5198, Mon Jun-18-18 03:48 PM
>I hated Amy Poehler on SNL

I thought it was going to be a really terrible spin-off and almost never watched it again after one of the S1 episodes

now I'd rank it's entirety ahead of The Office (US), which had higher highs but lots and lots more lows
730124, I was wayyyy down on that before it started
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Jun-18-18 05:52 PM
I was like "well, at least more rashida right?"

wroooong

730147, Parks and Rec might be my most favorite sitcom ever.
Posted by wallysmith, Tue Jun-19-18 11:32 AM
And that last season was absolutely perfect. Currently bringing the wife through the show and it may even be better on the rewatch.

Except the first season though, fuck that. Skipped it entirely for the wife.
730208, Parks might be one of the few shows I'm fine with that strategy.
Posted by Nodima, Fri Jun-22-18 09:40 AM
There are already a lot of episodes, and just about the only plot from that season relevant to the rest of the show is Andy's origin story and Leslie getting to know Anne. So much of the rest of that show is like a weird social experiment in retrospect.

I really can't think of any show that benefited more from the writer's strike and getting some time off to think about all the ways in which that show didn't need to be The Office But ...Not? to be good.

~~~~~~~~~
730357, That's how I watched it. Still haven't seen most of the 1st season
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Jul-02-18 12:21 PM
Started with the Season 2 and picked it up just fine. And it's indeed my favorite sitcom ever.

Only episode from Season 1 that I've watched was finally. Went back and watched it on Netflix after that fact because I kept hearing that it was the first episode that the cast really worked together and how it was a lot of fun. It wasn't very good in comparison.
730312, i've been rewatching it as well...
Posted by gumz, Thu Jun-28-18 08:48 AM
i think both The Office and Parks/Recs aged extremely well and get even better with rewatch but the quality gets way better after Season 1 on both.
730126, You guys weren’t wrong about Heath’s Joker
Posted by CaptNish, Mon Jun-18-18 07:22 PM
To me, it’s the Kurt Cobain of acting. Highly overrated due to death.
730151, "If Marvel screws up 'Ironman' I'm done with Marvel movies"
Posted by Shogun, Tue Jun-19-18 01:26 PM
I couldn't have been more wrong if I tried. After those shitshow "Xmen" movies, I was this><close to giving up on ever seeing a good Marvel movie. My Girl at the time wanted to go see it for whatever reason. I moaned and groaned because I was sick of being let down by shitty movie versions of my favorite Marvel characters.

Wig.
Blown.
Back.

730153, Besouro
Posted by Hitokiri, Tue Jun-19-18 04:15 PM
That trailer had me hyped. Thought it was gonna be a classic. So geeked when I found the torrent. Then me and my roommate watched, mouths agape, at how bad it was.
730155, Wait Ed Norton’s Hulk isn’t better than Ang Lee’s?
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue Jun-19-18 06:34 PM

>I thought the Ed Norton Hulk was better than the Ang Lee Hulk
730156, Miles Teller. I really didn’t like him or think he’d have much...
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue Jun-19-18 06:41 PM
of a career after his early teen movies. Thought he was going Vince Vaughn’s bag too much.

But I think Frank even tried to convince me on him in that teen alcoholic movie. Now while I’d didn’t fuck with that. Most shit he’s been in has been good. And I LOVE Whiplash.

I even went as far as thinking Fantastic Four was gonna be the shit cuz of MBJ, Mara, & Miles.
730163, RE: Miles Teller. I really didn’t like him or think he’d have much...
Posted by go mack, Wed Jun-20-18 12:14 PM
I haven't seen anything I liked with him yet but think only those dumb Divergent movies and Fantastic Four is all I've seen, will try to check Whiplash out some time.
730166, everyone here that said Avatar was a great movie
Posted by RobOne4, Wed Jun-20-18 02:04 PM
it was a piece of shit then and its an even bigger piece of shit now.
730172, yeah, you were really wrong about that, smh
Posted by c71, Wed Jun-20-18 03:25 PM
don't know how you had the courage to admit being wrong to that enormous degree
730195, fuck... yeah that was me
Posted by pretentious username, Thu Jun-21-18 01:21 PM
>it was a piece of shit then and its an even bigger piece of
>shit now.
730211, I WAS NEVER WRONG ON THAT.
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Jun-22-18 01:14 PM
and it was the woooooorst

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=68412&mesg_id=68412&listing_type=search

although, looking at that thread apparently shows that David Brooks wrote an NYT column agreeing with me which makes me think I might have been wrong.

730213, also, idk if anyone has mentioned this before
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Jun-22-18 01:59 PM
but I can be kind of a dick, especially when I think I'm right about something.

did you guys know that?

730216, Rjcc and David Brooks: two peas in a pod!
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Jun-22-18 07:24 PM
lol

do you still think Phantom Menace is the better movie tho?
730217, LOL. fuck fuck fuck. this is the proverbial rock and hard place.
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Jun-22-18 08:15 PM
see the thing is -- I'd have to watch Avatar again and there's a chance it's also worse than I remember.

but tentatively, I'm willing to chalk that up to hyperbole/not remembering how bad TPM was

730314, i rewatched it once... not worth it
Posted by pretentious username, Thu Jun-28-18 10:29 AM
It's still pretty to look at but I quickly realized I didn't care about any of the characters, the dialogue is pretty bad, and unobtanium is such a laughably bad name that it takes you out of it.
730293, LOFL. you went full RJCC. glorious
Posted by astralblak, Wed Jun-27-18 12:51 PM
and nice to see O_E still had/got turrbl taste and was comfy using gay slurs in 2010

yeah that movie is turrbl
730298, I couldn't believe anyone would pretend that movie was good
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Jun-27-18 03:54 PM
it didn't even make sense by its own standards

730313, Beautiful to look at in 3D on a big screen
Posted by tully_blanchard, Thu Jun-28-18 09:17 AM
Watching on HBO on a 42"...sucked. Didnt make it past 30 minutes.

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

730323, yup. i even said that in that post
Posted by astralblak, Fri Jun-29-18 04:13 PM
once it left he big screen even the "eye candy" couldn't save it

I had the same experience with Gravity
730502, Gravity!!! LOL!!
Posted by tully_blanchard, Tue Jul-10-18 12:12 PM
Saw it in 3-D and swo' it was the movie of the year.

Tried to watch it again on TV....checked out earrrrlly

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

730504, it is un. watchable. at home. even in 3D
Posted by Rjcc, Tue Jul-10-18 03:31 PM

730246, God yes. I hated that steaming pile of horseshit.
Posted by biscuit, Mon Jun-25-18 03:29 PM
James has always been hit and miss.
730526, Blue Ferngully With Wolves? F*ck that movie
Posted by spenzalii, Wed Jul-11-18 12:57 PM
Looked like a LSD trip most of the time and the story was a$$. I alternated wanting to fall asleep and leave the theater

At least it sold a crapload of HDTVs and 3DTVs at the time...
730531, but people defended that shit to the death!
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Jul-11-18 03:53 PM
I still can't believe it
730170, American Beauty was all hype
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Jun-20-18 02:58 PM
watched it at the dollar show in Carytown with my arms folded...

just knew it would be shitty

730245, You were born without a heart...
Posted by biscuit, Mon Jun-25-18 03:28 PM
But that's ok, man.
730294, YES. can't believe I dug that shit
Posted by astralblak, Wed Jun-27-18 12:59 PM
that movie is fucked up and wild how I, and many people, related or rooted to Spacey and hated the wife when they was doing the same shit

that movie is melodrama, first world white ppl probs and yeah, wack
730206, I'm told I'm wrong about Death to Smoochy being a Hall of Famer
Posted by Nodima, Fri Jun-22-18 09:31 AM
But I don't think I'll ever admit it. I'm pretty sure.

~~~~~~~~~
730209, isnt that The Room, before there was a The Room?
Posted by rdhull, Fri Jun-22-18 10:14 AM
>But I don't think I'll ever admit it. I'm pretty sure.
>
>
>~~~~~~~~~
>"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
>http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
>Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
730212, No, Death to Smoochy is legit rad.
Posted by Nodima, Fri Jun-22-18 01:26 PM
My personal belief is that it got caught up in a lot of anti-whatever the fuck that movie was on about sentiment that was going on around movies and television post-9/11. Death to Smoochy is way too dark and I think people assumed it would more broad than it was. But I was like 13 when that movie came out and so I missed all the context around it. It's been a long time since I watched it but it was comfort food in high school and college in a way that always annoyed me how often that movie shows up on awful flops and not funny comedies type lists.

I know this isn't what this thread is, but I just want everyone that thinks I'm wrong to admit THEY are wrong, lol. One of Norton's best performances point blank and a perfect role for Robin Williams. Jon Stewart might've been a little better in The Faculty just because that movie is stupid enough for him as an actor but I think he rightly makes fun of his role in Smoochy most because DeVito understood how valueless he was as an actor better than anyone and played it up.

~~~~~~~~~
730218, I could be wrong now ... BUT I DONT THINK SO!!
Posted by Bumaye, Sat Jun-23-18 08:22 AM
(c) Randy Newman

Heard that in my head with these responses.
730277, had no intentions of ever watching a Thor movie
Posted by Ray_Snill, Tue Jun-26-18 04:03 PM
it just never appealed to my interest in any way. got talked into watching Thor Ragnarok and that is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif
730501, bruh tell me about it
Posted by infin8, Tue Jul-10-18 10:57 AM
watched it several times.
730322, i said Night Dogg was a genius. In fact, he's a MEGA genius.
Posted by Basaglia, Fri Jun-29-18 03:00 PM
never been more wrong
730353, i thought Game of Thrones would be trash...
Posted by gumz, Mon Jul-02-18 10:35 AM
initially it seemed like some Dungeons and Dragons type BS which I wanted no parts of...

Matter of fact I felt the same way about LOTR initially...I hadn't read any of the source material and have had no interest in fantasy stuff (wizards, dwarfs, dragons) prior to these.

730594, Me too. The first episode I saw was one in the middle of season 2 or 3
Posted by Duc999, Wed Jul-18-18 12:12 AM
All during the episode I was like "WTF is all of the hype about? This is some king arthur BS with some nudity.." then "WhoTF is this superplatinum blonde chick... she ain't even thick. She ain't all that.. W..T..F..Dragons? GTFOH......" At then end of the episode.."This is some bullsiht..they threw zombies up in this show too? This is straight crazy"..

Someone was like you need to see the show from the beginning. I binge watch it from the beginning and have been hooked. I've got all of the books on audio, following the spoiler blogs, researching all of the fan theories.. etc. I can't get enough.
730595, LOL
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Jul-18-18 02:50 AM

730801, Luckily I watched from ep 1 and when they tossed Bran out the window....
Posted by gumz, Wed Jul-25-18 07:26 PM
I was like “YO!”...I still had no clue I would like it this much
730808, yup, I was like holy shit they really did that
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Jul-25-18 10:27 PM

730611, i had ZERO interest in it
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Jul-18-18 11:41 AM
I can't even remember why. Maybe it's because I was kind of bored by most of LOTR, though I'm not sure it was even that. People would bring it up and I would mostly say meh i don't care about that shit.

After enough people whose taste I trust kept telling me to give it a shot, I threw on the first episode, and it probably took me 2 weeks to get through the first half. Finally I started over and tried to pay attention. By the end of the first episode i was hoooked and ripped through the first 2 seasons.
730802, Ep 1 had a strong ending...def pulled me in too
Posted by gumz, Wed Jul-25-18 07:27 PM
Despite feeling bored most of the episode. After season 1 I ended up reading the books
740594, ....about that
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Feb-05-21 04:35 AM

740600, that last season had an amazing effect
Posted by will_5198, Fri Feb-05-21 09:49 AM
the Hindenburg in the GOAT TV series debate
730354, Last Jedi was good
Posted by Boogiedwn, Mon Jul-02-18 10:49 AM
It got worse on subsequent viewings
730355, it really did :(
Posted by gumz, Mon Jul-02-18 11:22 AM
730598, I was really hard on the Nolan Batman movies
Posted by Tiger Woods, Wed Jul-18-18 08:55 AM
Especially Dark Knight

But I’ve come to appreciate those movies a lot more. Sure they’re still way too pretentious for superhero flicks. But the fact they’re trying to be something is noble. There’s some inspired performances - specifically Michael Caine’s effort and of course Ledger’s work. And it feels like there’s real stakes - people die, privacy is tossed out in favor of safety, good people turn rotten. The more Marvel became cookie cutter and episodic in feel, the more I came to appreciate Nolan’s Batman movies. And I’ll say, I’m in no hurry to see Infinity War or Spider-Man Homecoming again, but if the Joker bad guys at the round table scene is on while I’m flipping channels I’m staying there.
730648, i thought anything with tina fey in it would be unwatchable
Posted by shygurl, Fri Jul-20-18 01:47 AM
30 Rock shocked me and forced me to admit how much I like Alec Baldwin as an actor.
730687, more recently, i thought she really shined in Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Posted by howisya, Sat Jul-21-18 12:14 PM
i liked that movie way more than i expected, primarily because of her performance
730810, I remember you constantly posting Poehler SNL hate all those years ago
Posted by dgonsh, Wed Jul-25-18 11:38 PM
You actually almost had me convinced sometimes. I think I remember you specifically hating the character she played as the hyper kid

Yeah....that was a bad longterm take haha
740578, Just recently realized Last of the Mohicans is pretty goofy
Posted by stylez dainty, Wed Feb-03-21 04:49 PM
Still enjoy it a lot, but not the Best Picture-worthy masterpiece I used to think it was.

So much running.
740599, that's funny
Posted by will_5198, Fri Feb-05-21 09:48 AM
I saw it a few years back and thought it was underwhelming as well (I liked period pieces, I like Daniel Day-Lewis, and I think Mann is a decent director)

but people I respect had always hyped it as a *great* movie, which I didn't get
740617, I thought The Last Airbender live action film was gonna be amazing
Posted by Damali, Sat Feb-06-21 07:45 PM
my son was a huge fan of the animated series...this was his first time ever saying that a movie was bad

kids like EVERYTHING they see, for the most part, and usually don't have the critical skills to recognize a good film from a bad film

but this one? HE TRASHED IT lol

i think he became a man that day.

d

"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly
740645, RE: I thought The Last Airbender live action film was gonna be amazing
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Mon Feb-08-21 11:46 PM
>i think he became a man that day.
>

LOL
740618, Everyone who hated s2 of The Wire.
Posted by Brew, Sat Feb-06-21 11:04 PM
I was sort of confused by and bored with it the first time around but by the time I got to the end of the series I understood it better. Then on 2nd and 3rd viewings I realized it was one of the better seasons.
740651, Yup, it gets better every time I watch it.
Posted by Nopayne, Tue Feb-09-21 05:03 PM
They definitely had their work cut out since it was such an abrupt switch up from season 1. I think the audience was better trained by the time that season 3 came around. It also helped that they brought more returning characters back into the fold.
740665, I never understood the disdain for S2
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed Feb-10-21 07:00 PM
Yes, it isn't as exciting as the drug-running of S1. But the intricacy of the storytelling and the context that it sets on the events and circumstances of S1 and also for the rest of the series makes it key in the story of the effect structural corruption has on everyday life.

That being said, it's not my favorite but it also isn't the worst. I usually rank it as #3.

740676, Imagine waiting like a year to catch up on the stories of your favorite drug
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Feb-11-21 12:55 PM
dealers and when the show returns its about some dock workers.

We weren't prepared for the idea that each season the show would have a different focus. I think if someone binged today it would totally make sense.

At the time, it was a tough swallow. I didn't hate it as much as most though.

>Yes, it isn't as exciting as the drug-running of S1. But the
>intricacy of the storytelling and the context that it sets on
>the events and circumstances of S1 and also for the rest of
>the series makes it key in the story of the effect structural
>corruption has on everyday life.
>
>That being said, it's not my favorite but it also isn't the
>worst. I usually rank it as #3.
>
>

740646, I thought Todd Solondz's Happiness was 'good'
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Mon Feb-08-21 11:55 PM
In my more pretentious, wannabe film nerd days, I saw Happiness and really liked it. I remember watching Welcome to the Dollhouse and liking it.

But it came on again a few years ago and it just seemed like the shock porn I couldn't admit it being when I watched it in college.

Also, I didn't get the Marvel hype at the beginning. I watched the first Iron Man and liked it. Then I saw Iron Man II and thought the MCU was overrated. Watching the first Thor later didn't help increase my interest in the movies.

But somehow I watched The Winter Soldier and I was sold. That chase scene was one of the better set pieces I've seen. Plus Sam Jackson as a badass, how could it go wrong? Feige and their team can't get enough credit for stringing together an amazing run of really high-quality movies.

740822, i came
Posted by howisya, Thu Feb-25-21 06:07 PM
...to post that i'd been thinking about this movie recently, wondering if i would come to the same conclusion if i rewatched it. when i was younger and really exploring film for the first time, i liked watching quirky, offbeat, and subversive movies, and this was one of those buzzed-about ones that felt like a Big Deal to be able to see before streaming and being able to pick anything and rent it by mail. back then there were more stakes because it usually meant buying a ticket or paying a few bucks at a store and having to return it, so i was invested in trying to understand and appreciate especially something that had critical acclaim like this.

i liked welcome to the dollhouse as well, but i think what got happiness over for me was the sordidness of it, which isn't as much of a selling point now. i guess it speaks for itself that i haven't made time to rewatch it yet.

>Also, I didn't get the Marvel hype at the beginning. I watched
>the first Iron Man and liked it.

i watched this when it came out and thought it was amazing. of course i've seen popular clips again since then but haven't rewatched this either, and i rarely see it mentioned now as top-tier MCU even though it started it off. the second and third iron man movies did not live up to the original for me, and i really didn't mind that RDJ apparently stopped wanting to do them. i honestly wasn't that into the first captain america or first two thor films either, but then they hit their stride with the next installments for my tastes.

>But somehow I watched The Winter Soldier and I was sold. That
>chase scene was one of the better set pieces I've seen. Plus
>Sam Jackson as a badass, how could it go wrong? Feige and
>their team can't get enough credit for stringing together an
>amazing run of really high-quality movies.

that's when the tide turned and what a MCU movie could be shifted in my mind. it's the first movie since iron man that made me feel that excited about what i was watching and like it was something new.
740652, I thought Jupiter Ascending looked good from the trailers
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Feb-09-21 05:06 PM
I wound up being one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

By a lot.

A whole lot.

Other movies that are this bad at least dip their toe into "so bad it's good" territory.

This shit just got worse and worse and worse and worse and worse, without ever coming close crossing that threshold. That was a feat.
740653, Thank you for sharing
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Tue Feb-09-21 07:41 PM
I felt the same way.

I have to give props to you for getting all the way through it. I watched until that scene where Channing Tatum took out the space ship on his own. That (in a movie that required a HIGH level of suspension of disbelief up until that moment) was the point that I just couldn't justify continuing until the end.

I don't usually dis artwork but, man, that was a gawdawful movie.
740656, bruh... they had a literal Air Wolf😂😂😂
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Feb-09-21 11:48 PM
They had a wolf.... roller blading.... through the air.

They could have called this shit Where Wolf and put some cheesy Flash Gordon music to amp up the camp, and we may well be talking about how gloriously absurd this shit was.

But nope.

Instead, we got Eddie Redmayne playing the sort of role RDJ's Tropic Thunder character would play in one of the goofy ass in-movie trailers of a Tropic Thunder sequel.

Like, I could see that role being Tobias Fhunke's (from Arrested Development) big break. Some real self-serious "I'm an acTOR!" shit.

We got Ned Stark talking about how bees recognize royalty and some creepy ass incest.

I can't remember a movie that so badly shit the bed.

In fact, I think a movie about actual people shitting in actual beds would have been better. At least then you'd know better than to spend money on snacks.
740657, I thought D.C. Cab was going to be the next Aninal House
Posted by handle, Wed Feb-10-21 01:28 AM
The cast had me HYPED.

MR. T!
Adam Baldwin fresh off of My Body Guard.
Wojohowitz from Barney Miller.
The Barbarian Brothers.
Whitman Mayo!!!
Irene Cara - who was so hot in that episode of What's Happening! where Rerun was going to marry her to get her greencard.
Otis Day from Animal House.
Marsha Warfeild and Bill Maher - two standups I lvoed back then.
Charlie Barnett when he was on the rise - he was the best thing about it.
Hell Garey Busey pre-accident was good too.

But a bad movie.
740666, I was too hard on Zack Snyder
Posted by pretentious username, Wed Feb-10-21 11:09 PM
He definitely has a couple annoying habits, but he's a good director. And I was too hard on Watchmen for a few years. It's really good, especially for a property many people thought couldn't be adapted to film. Still think Sucker Punch and 300 are stinkers, but those are forgivable in the grand scheme of things.

I think Batman v Superman will age well. One of the rare cases where I think the director's cut actually helps. Excited to see how the JL thing goes.
740668, Jamie Foxx in Ali .. I was skeptical
Posted by Amritsar, Thu Feb-11-21 08:50 AM
About him taking on dramatic roles

Boy was I wrong
740685, I liked Crash, American Beauty, Driving Miss Daisy on first viewing.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri Feb-12-21 01:20 PM
Pretty much any movie that the Academy Awards recognize for best picture and is promptly forgotten, I too would have fell for on first viewing.

740823, putting a pin in this one
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Feb-25-21 08:58 PM

740951, There are few things I hated on first viewing more than Crash
Posted by Mynoriti, Fri Mar-19-21 05:07 PM
i saw it opening weekend with really high hopes. the only thing worse than watching it was listening to people who i have genuine affection for recommend it to me or tell me how great it was.

i loved American Beauty but i havent seen it in 15 years at least, and in no hurry to see how its aged.

Never saw Driving Miss Daisy. Will probably keep it that way. Same goes for Green Book
740975, Crash was bad at the time. I was stunned when it got Oscar love.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Mar-23-21 03:24 PM
American Beauty was really great then. One of the more formative/iconic movies of its time, tbh-- it's been stolen from and parodied to death.

I, too, am not eager to see how it's aged... but it was definitely terrific at the time imo.

Driving Miss Daisy, while it never should've sniffed Oscar, is a lot better than Green Book imo. It's totally fine/good/whatever. Green Book is flat, flat, flat.
740986, I still think AB is good and still relevant, you're good on that one
Posted by Tiger Woods, Wed Mar-24-21 08:03 AM
740987, I thought Shyamalan would be one of the GOATS
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Wed Mar-24-21 08:13 AM
Sixth Sense was amazing and Unbreakable is one of my favorite movies of all time. I figured he'd switch up his formula, get diverse and expand, and become one of the greats. I didnt realize he felt every got damn movie needed some sort of twist ending, and his desire to always have such, ruined whatever talent he had....to an almost hideous comical level.

I will never forget The Happening. I watched it in a movie theater and couldn't believe this was the same director. Ive never seen someone's best and worst movies be that far apart.