Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectYeah. I can see what they were going for, it just didn’t land
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=730022&mesg_id=740197
740197, Yeah. I can see what they were going for, it just didn’t land
Posted by soulfunk, Sun Dec-27-20 05:30 PM
for me. With it being set in 1984, they tried to create a mid-80’s super hero movie. Like the post up above mentioned, it really reminded me of Superman 3. (Actually I saw elements of SM 2, 3, and 4 in this.)

This issue is it’s REALLY tough to pull something like that off. From an audience perspective we’re trying to feel out if the camp and corniness is supposed to bring to mind how the 80’s actually were, or how 80’s superhero movies felt. Those are two separate things, but they kinda went for both at the same time. All while fitting in as both the sequel to the first WW film from a different time period, AND the DCEU which is much darker in tone.

Gal Gadot isn’t a strong actress, but I can’t even blame her because of what they were asking her to do with the character. How are we supposed to believe that WW would get so blinded by having her boyfriend back that she’d just be cool with using the make-wish stone to hi-jack some other dude’s body, all while losing her powers? Yes - in Superman 2 he gave up his powers to be with Lois Lane, but that was the REAL Lois and not some other girl who had her body taken over. So I really don’t know how Gal was supposed to play the character to make that believable, while still consistent with WW from all the other DCEU films. (Speaking of that, if she could fly in 1984 why didn’t she fly later on during Justice League? Did she forget how to fly???)

Cheetah felt like a bad combination of evil Supes from SM 2 and Nuclear Man from SM 4. They really didn’t give her enough motivation to completely turn evil and try to destroy WW. Maybe if there was more jealousy shown instead of what seemed like admiration in wanting to be like Diana it would have made more sense. But again, they seemed to purposely want to have campy 80’s style villains - Pedro Pascal was actually over the top enough to make that clear, but Kristen Wig was just eh...