Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI liked that it reminded me of one of the old Superman movies
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=730022&mesg_id=740185
740185, I liked that it reminded me of one of the old Superman movies
Posted by navajo joe, Sat Dec-26-20 09:21 PM
I don't like that it mostly reminded me of Superman 3. A lot of its problems boil down to sequel-itis. More of everything does not a better movie make.

I really appreciated that they set out to make a bright, colorful, dopey movie. Unfortunately, they also made a not particularly good one. However, I didn't think the first one was good either so this wasn't some fall from grace for me.

I did really liked Gadot in the first film but here, without the woman-out-of-time element and relationship dynamics with Steve/chemistry with Pine she's just plain bad

Wiig is great when she's not asked to stretch but when she's required to exude menace it's laughable.

Pedro Pascal...well, he went for it.

The story is a hot mess and elements, like the Ol' Girl's Golden Armor, feel particularly shoe-horned in.

The action sequences were a mixed bag. The Themyscira opening was technically well-done and almost felt out of a better movie. The second action sequence in the Mall was marred by 80s kid comedy-level acting. The desert sequence had some good moments but felt like it existed largely because another action beat was needed when that whole section of the film including that Arab shit (which also felt very 80's but not in a good way) could have been dropped. The White House sequence was solid but by that point the movie had fallen apart plotwise. The final sequence was whatever.

Once it was made clear how Steve was brought back that pretty much ruined any of their scenes together because I was stuck on, "Wait, that's just some dude whose body/life was hijacked? That's fucked up."

I was lukewarm on Jenkins being announced for a Star Wars project last week and I wonder how that'll play now that this has gotten the reviews/word-of-mouth it has gotten. I'm hoping that when paired w/ the Disney/Lucasfilm folks she can make something legitimately good. But the Star Wars folks have churned out some forgettable-to-bad shit with directors of her caliber. However, they do have a better track record than WB/DCEU. So I guess we'll see.