Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectWonder Woman 1984 (Patty fucking Jenkins, 2019)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=730022
730022, Wonder Woman 1984 (Patty fucking Jenkins, 2019)
Posted by bwood, Wed Jun-13-18 10:01 AM
Here's a first look (some spoiler stuff from Patty herself): http://www.indiewire.com/2018/06/wonder-woman-1984-first-look-gal-gadot-patty-jenkins-chris-pine-1201974200/

Patty is shooting an hour of it in 70MM IMAX. Can't wait despite Kristen Wiig being Cheetah.
730023, I'm honestly not worried about Wig as Cheeta
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Wed Jun-13-18 10:12 AM
I think she can do serious action, but then again with this whole 84' theme, they may be looking for her to be a bit funny.

I hope they explain Steve Trevor coming to 84', maybe he's brought back by Zeus or something. But Pine totally looks like a dude from the 80's, I'm sure they'll drop a C.H.iP.S. nod somewhere in there.
732289, Now opening June 5th 2020.
Posted by bwood, Mon Oct-22-18 01:54 PM
Just changed the release date. Wisely.
732340, Why wisely?
Posted by spirit, Wed Oct-24-18 09:45 PM
Closer it comes out to the first film, the better IMO. They’re losing momentum. Aquaman might be a minor hit and Shazam may get some family dollars, but Wonder Woman is by far the biggest draw in the DCEU right now

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com
732345, It was getting very crowded in the release date it had.
Posted by bwood, Thu Oct-25-18 08:06 AM
That Joker movie a couple of weeks beforehand. And then a smattering of releases till Christmas.
737147, Trailer niggas
Posted by bwood, Sun Dec-08-19 04:07 PM
https://youtu.be/sfM7_JLk-84

This looks insanely fun and the action looks crazy. IMAX 70MM here I come!
737148, Blue Monday used very effectively
Posted by handle, Sun Dec-08-19 05:58 PM
I'll see it
737149, I didn't care for the first one but that is a great trailer
Posted by navajo joe, Sun Dec-08-19 06:02 PM
Unfortunately, it doesn't make clear that that the issues with the first one are fixed. But it's a trailer and that's outside its scope.

That said, this looks wildly fun and they look like they have money to play with. Now that they don't have to try and fit this into DCEU bullshit maybe they can really do some great stuff. The action looks really good, that lightning bit is genius.

Godot was perfect in the first one and I really did like her and Pine's chemistry so if they can improve the movie around them they'll have a winner.

Btw, Pedro Pascal has become a red flag of quality at this point.
739287, Wonder Woman 1984 - Official Main Trailer
Posted by j0510, Sat Aug-22-20 02:50 PM
Wonder Woman 1984 - Official Main Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW2E2Fnh52w
740169, It's shit.
Posted by Backbone, Sat Dec-26-20 04:37 AM
I don't understand why some people seem think Gal Gadot is good.
740173, i think the first one was really overrated and got a pass
Posted by Reeq, Sat Dec-26-20 11:21 AM
largely based on the social tide at that time.

people are more sober when judging this one tho.

honestly greenlighting wonder woman as a standalone character in todays movie/tv environment looks kinda silly in hindsight lol.

there was so much to laugh at here (the unintentional kind).
740174, Yeah there's much better 7.5/10 stuff out there.
Posted by Backbone, Sat Dec-26-20 11:55 AM
But at least I don't think I was distractedly browsing the web by the time the third act rolled around.

WW1984 somehow mainly succeeded in making me feel bad for the kid who played Pedro Pascal's son.
740171, this was the type of ending that writers/directors complain about
Posted by Reeq, Sat Dec-26-20 11:12 AM
the studio forcing them to make.

if that was straight up patty jenkins and her team...then jesus...

this shit was written like a kids film that they never thought adults would watch.
740172, btw theres an after credits scene.
Posted by Reeq, Sat Dec-26-20 11:14 AM
and its fucking corny too.

its funny the gimmicks you have to settle for when you dont have a functional cinematic universe to tie things together with.
740175, T'was not good
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Sat Dec-26-20 01:19 PM
not sure if Jenkins is feeling herself or they just had a bad script but totally a meh film. I almost feel like it would've been better just fully leaning into the camp of the 1980's.

I thought Wiig did a great job and I felt bad for Pascal. The dude seemed to be going all-in for a campy version of Max Lord, but the rest of the film didn't. Like someone said on Twitter, Wished he would've put on the Mandolaroian helmet and jetpack and flew out of this film.

Gadot was fine, no complaints there and Pine did Pine so nothing new. It's the tonal shifts in this film seemed a bit all over the place and some bad story decisions were made. I dunno some of it may have been lost on the editing floor, who knows.

Lastly, if this is any indication of what we have in store for Rouge Squadron...leave me out.
740215, LMAO
Posted by Bambino Grande, Mon Dec-28-20 05:14 PM
> Like someone said on
>Twitter, Wished he would've put on the Mandolaroian helmet and
>jetpack and flew out of this film.
>
740176, Damn it was bad.
Posted by walihorse, Sat Dec-26-20 01:22 PM
Acting was bad, writing bad, cgi mostly bad.

My favorite part was Kristen Wiig up to the gym scene.
740179, This was really bad
Posted by Heinz, Sat Dec-26-20 03:18 PM
Gal Gadot is a terrible actress. Patty. Just go to Star Wars, forget this shitty franchise.

----------

IG @erichrigonan
740181, DC = Don't Care
Posted by Castro, Sat Dec-26-20 06:04 PM
740182, I think the trailers did this one dirty.
Posted by Nopayne, Sat Dec-26-20 07:01 PM
I went in expecting same overall tone of the first one with some 80s music thrown on top.

I probably would have been cool with all the camp and cheese that we got if they had owned it from the start. Instead, I was blindsided the terrible lasso and running action that this movie is built upon.
740190, the lasso was so bad.
Posted by Reeq, Sun Dec-27-20 10:10 AM
thats something you gotta know should be reigned in a bit or left on the cutting room floor altogether.

maybe just kept it limited to the close quarters stuff.

but lassoing a plane 30k feet above you with 0 lag time shoulda gotten laughed outta the writers room. literally cartoonish.
740183, the first was so good except a bad villain, too bad this is a let down
Posted by blackfoot_female, Sat Dec-26-20 07:20 PM
740184, Maybe my expectations were too low, but I had fun watching this
Posted by pretentious username, Sat Dec-26-20 08:12 PM
Saw some ads but didn't watch the trailers. I enjoyed the corniness of it all. I liked it in the way that I liked Batman Forever: absurd villains, kinda ridiculous action, and (unlike other people) I didn't think it was taking itself too seriously.

Is this a better story than the first one? Nah, but I am 10x more likely to rewatch it and I think that's more important.
740185, I liked that it reminded me of one of the old Superman movies
Posted by navajo joe, Sat Dec-26-20 09:21 PM
I don't like that it mostly reminded me of Superman 3. A lot of its problems boil down to sequel-itis. More of everything does not a better movie make.

I really appreciated that they set out to make a bright, colorful, dopey movie. Unfortunately, they also made a not particularly good one. However, I didn't think the first one was good either so this wasn't some fall from grace for me.

I did really liked Gadot in the first film but here, without the woman-out-of-time element and relationship dynamics with Steve/chemistry with Pine she's just plain bad

Wiig is great when she's not asked to stretch but when she's required to exude menace it's laughable.

Pedro Pascal...well, he went for it.

The story is a hot mess and elements, like the Ol' Girl's Golden Armor, feel particularly shoe-horned in.

The action sequences were a mixed bag. The Themyscira opening was technically well-done and almost felt out of a better movie. The second action sequence in the Mall was marred by 80s kid comedy-level acting. The desert sequence had some good moments but felt like it existed largely because another action beat was needed when that whole section of the film including that Arab shit (which also felt very 80's but not in a good way) could have been dropped. The White House sequence was solid but by that point the movie had fallen apart plotwise. The final sequence was whatever.

Once it was made clear how Steve was brought back that pretty much ruined any of their scenes together because I was stuck on, "Wait, that's just some dude whose body/life was hijacked? That's fucked up."

I was lukewarm on Jenkins being announced for a Star Wars project last week and I wonder how that'll play now that this has gotten the reviews/word-of-mouth it has gotten. I'm hoping that when paired w/ the Disney/Lucasfilm folks she can make something legitimately good. But the Star Wars folks have churned out some forgettable-to-bad shit with directors of her caliber. However, they do have a better track record than WB/DCEU. So I guess we'll see.

740188, This is ALL accurate.
Posted by soulfunk, Sun Dec-27-20 07:23 AM
You typed out pretty much everything I would have said.

>I don't like that it mostly reminded me of Superman 3. A lot
>of its problems boil down to sequel-itis. More of everything
>does not a better movie make.
>
>I really appreciated that they set out to make a bright,
>colorful, dopey movie. Unfortunately, they also made a not
>particularly good one. However, I didn't think the first one
>was good either so this wasn't some fall from grace for me.
>
>I did really liked Gadot in the first film but here, without
>the woman-out-of-time element and relationship dynamics with
>Steve/chemistry with Pine she's just plain bad
>
>Wiig is great when she's not asked to stretch but when she's
>required to exude menace it's laughable.
>
>Pedro Pascal...well, he went for it.
>
>The story is a hot mess and elements, like the Ol' Girl's
>Golden Armor, feel particularly shoe-horned in.
>
>The action sequences were a mixed bag. The Themyscira opening
>was technically well-done and almost felt out of a better
>movie. The second action sequence in the Mall was marred by
>80s kid comedy-level acting. The desert sequence had some good
>moments but felt like it existed largely because another
>action beat was needed when that whole section of the film
>including that Arab shit (which also felt very 80's but not in
>a good way) could have been dropped. The White House sequence
>was solid but by that point the movie had fallen apart
>plotwise. The final sequence was whatever.
>
>Once it was made clear how Steve was brought back that pretty
>much ruined any of their scenes together because I was stuck
>on, "Wait, that's just some dude whose body/life was hijacked?
>That's fucked up."
>
>I was lukewarm on Jenkins being announced for a Star Wars
>project last week and I wonder how that'll play now that this
>has gotten the reviews/word-of-mouth it has gotten. I'm hoping
>that when paired w/ the Disney/Lucasfilm folks she can make
>something legitimately good. But the Star Wars folks have
>churned out some forgettable-to-bad shit with directors of her
>caliber. However, they do have a better track record than
>WB/DCEU. So I guess we'll see.
>
>
740186, First two acts were innocuous. It completely falls apart in the third
Posted by mrhood75, Sat Dec-26-20 11:16 PM
Purposely earnest and corny is fine, but the execution was awful.

It also felt like there was a lot edited out of this. I have no idea if what was taken out would have made it any better, but it screwed up what little pacing and story flow that there was.
740187, This is a children's movie...
Posted by Vertigo, Sun Dec-27-20 03:19 AM
Once you accept that, it's fine. Think Goonies, that's what this essentially is.

So with that (admittedly big caveat) my issues with this movie are the length of it because a kids movie shouldn't be 2.5 hrs long and the buildup/marketing because people are expecting a movie geared towards adults.

740189, i said something similar up top.
Posted by Reeq, Sun Dec-27-20 10:05 AM
it really was like a disney movie with how basic and tropey it was.

all they needed was the foreign/ethnic music in the background every time they showed that artifact.

even the whole gimmick where dude had to technically entrap them with specific 'what do you wiiiiiiiiish for?' language was so childish.

the make a wish plot line in general is straight outta countless pg material...especially wiigs nerd/ugly duckling character wishing to be like cool girl diana.
740191, Yeah...
Posted by Vertigo, Sun Dec-27-20 12:29 PM
I wonder if they could have got the PG with a few cuts here and there or if it just wasn't possible. Maybe they got turned down for it.
740192, Eh, this made me nostalgic for my childhood in a weird way.
Posted by Nodima, Sun Dec-27-20 12:47 PM
It's a very confusing movie with some truly weird concepts (that Steve stuff is just...they raped that man), but at this point that's just DC and it's kind of what I'm hoping for when I fire off one of their flicks. Pedro Pascal is the best part of this, felt like he was making up for lost time in the Mando suit.

I think Wonder Woman is just inherently silly as a modern superhero and this movie inadvertently proved it with all the semi-automatic weapons she had to deal with. Even though she's essentially Superwoman now? I actually thought old dude was Henry Cavill when he popped back up on screen. I wonder if DCEU WW and Superman are gonna fuck?

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
740197, Yeah. I can see what they were going for, it just didn’t land
Posted by soulfunk, Sun Dec-27-20 05:30 PM
for me. With it being set in 1984, they tried to create a mid-80’s super hero movie. Like the post up above mentioned, it really reminded me of Superman 3. (Actually I saw elements of SM 2, 3, and 4 in this.)

This issue is it’s REALLY tough to pull something like that off. From an audience perspective we’re trying to feel out if the camp and corniness is supposed to bring to mind how the 80’s actually were, or how 80’s superhero movies felt. Those are two separate things, but they kinda went for both at the same time. All while fitting in as both the sequel to the first WW film from a different time period, AND the DCEU which is much darker in tone.

Gal Gadot isn’t a strong actress, but I can’t even blame her because of what they were asking her to do with the character. How are we supposed to believe that WW would get so blinded by having her boyfriend back that she’d just be cool with using the make-wish stone to hi-jack some other dude’s body, all while losing her powers? Yes - in Superman 2 he gave up his powers to be with Lois Lane, but that was the REAL Lois and not some other girl who had her body taken over. So I really don’t know how Gal was supposed to play the character to make that believable, while still consistent with WW from all the other DCEU films. (Speaking of that, if she could fly in 1984 why didn’t she fly later on during Justice League? Did she forget how to fly???)

Cheetah felt like a bad combination of evil Supes from SM 2 and Nuclear Man from SM 4. They really didn’t give her enough motivation to completely turn evil and try to destroy WW. Maybe if there was more jealousy shown instead of what seemed like admiration in wanting to be like Diana it would have made more sense. But again, they seemed to purposely want to have campy 80’s style villains - Pedro Pascal was actually over the top enough to make that clear, but Kristen Wig was just eh...
740193, terrible and racist.
Posted by shygurl, Sun Dec-27-20 01:49 PM
Like almost obnoxiously racist. The Middle Eastern characters were over the top in their zest for violence, and the only *named* Middle Eastern character was an oil baron. Two generations of Latino men treating their sons poorly. The Black characters? One sassy HR woman and one homeless old guy. The "Mayan" character played by an Indian in a dreadlock wig. I mean they didn't even spare the whites, with a seemingly out of nowhere anti-Irish barb lol.

Beyond the racism, I thought the movie was wayyy too long and the pacing uneven. I thought the cgi was pretty cheesy, and the Cheetah character was some kind of furry nightmare. (I honestly thought that cat character was originally black, but after googling it I realized I was thinking of Vixen, a different character that I gotta admit also grinds my gears.)

The story itself was dumb. Just dumb. Pedro's Trump character ultimate goal was...more I guess? More power, more money, what exactly was he looking for? *shrug* Diana hasn't seen her family in 70 years, and she was so focused on the dick that she didn't spare half a thought towards them? I think there was the building blocks for a better story hidden there, but the one they delivered was meandering and lacked focus.

I loved the first one and for this one to be so terrible was a disappointment. I know sequels are hard, but this feels worse than usual imo.

Three bright spots for me.
-Trevor the Himbo pilot's enjoyment of the new world.
-Diana killing it in the 80s fashion.
-Seeing various DMV shots reminding me how much I miss and love the area.

I am so glad they released this on HBO, cause if I would have spent money to see it in the theater I would have been pissed.
740195, They decided to turn the corny up to 11 with this one....
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Sun Dec-27-20 04:42 PM
It's like they decided to ignore why people liked the first one so they could make a corny 80s children's movie. This was awful and somehow the CGI looks worse with a bigger budget
740196, Might be the worst cape movie I’ve ever seen
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sun Dec-27-20 05:23 PM
It feels like they didn’t finish it.
740200, that fucking ending.
Posted by Reeq, Sun Dec-27-20 09:18 PM
'oh yeah thats right i love my son let me chill out'
740204, Also why did that kid never mention his mom?
Posted by benny, Sun Dec-27-20 11:33 PM
PP is basically a deadbeat to him yet when as the world is ending he completely ghosts the person who presumably takes care of him 99% of the time?

Between that and Barbara shown as a menacing psycho when she was taking care of that would-be rapist, I thought there were some weird strains of anti-feminism to add onto all the lazy racism. Felt like the movie itself was written in 1984
740214, This joint had some of the worst acting from kids I’ve ever seen.
Posted by soulfunk, Mon Dec-28-20 03:27 PM
The kids in the shopping mall scene? Pedro’s kid throughout the entire film? There’s better acting from kids in random Disney or PBS shows. Prolly better acting on local area TV commercials for small businesses.
740198, Welp. Wonder Woman 3 greenlit & fast-tracked.
Posted by mrhood75, Sun Dec-27-20 06:29 PM
Apparently exceeded expectations on HBO Max and in the theater.

Both Gadot and Jenkins coming back. WB is now framing it as a trilogy, because I assume Jenkins wants to move on the Star Wars and Gadot to other stuff.
740236, Jenkins cant write the 3rd one
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Dec-30-20 10:45 AM
I mean im sure she will because she got the clout. but somebody else wrote WW1 and it shoooooooows
740241, Yeah, somebody else better be in that writer's room
Posted by spenzalii, Wed Dec-30-20 03:24 PM
This is a franchise with some good, solid ideas but bad, stupid execution. Make a 3rd, fine, whatever. But for the love of all things holy write a better script. This one was just dumb and made me madder the more I thought about it.
740203, RE: Wonder Woman 1984 (Patty fucking Jenkins, 2019)
Posted by Mgmt, Sun Dec-27-20 11:08 PM
They’re about to do a multiverse thing with Michael Keaton and other folks. Why didn’t they just have post credits Lynda Carter cast another reality’s WW instead of whateverthefuck?

Defund DC COMICS
740211, Very glad to pop in here and see it getting the hate...
Posted by bwood, Mon Dec-28-20 02:12 PM
...it deserves.

What an unremarkable movie.

Everyone here has hit on why this shit sucks.

What a huge disappointment.
740244, How did they screw this up so bad?
Posted by KnowOne, Wed Dec-30-20 03:58 PM
Im so dissapointed
740248, Patty Jenkins started feeling herself like she was Nolan or Russos
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Wed Dec-30-20 11:10 PM
740261, I watched it a second time.....its even worse on repeat.
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Fri Jan-01-21 01:44 PM
No real villian. Dumb cgi. Dumb flying. Rolling on a road with two kids and not a single scratch. Boring action.
740270, What's up with the fucking kids in this movie?
Posted by handle, Sat Jan-02-21 10:34 AM
There are what, 3 scenes with Wonder Woman winking or miming "Shhh" with a finger raised to her lips with kids?

The entire mall scenes was fucking awful.

I liked DC magic stuff just fine (and LOVE Zatanna) but this dildo looking rock was lame.

At the end Diana did take Pedro up on his offer and used her wish to have perfect makeup applied.

This was just a bad movie - they can't all be great.

I do like that WW can fly now - flying WW is always better than non flying WW to me.

At least it was included with HBO Maxx - I'd have bene pissed if I paid $15 to see it.

Note: She's pretty and man did they linger on that. Didn't mind it - but it made for some weird pacing.
740279, Its like they decided to turn it into a cheesy kid's movie.
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Sat Jan-02-21 08:38 PM
The first one worked without the forced head nods to kids
740284, To be fair, it's better for kids than Shazaam was
Posted by handle, Sun Jan-03-21 10:50 AM
But even kids like a good movie - they could have done both.

740274, i didnt know this was scored by hans zimmer.
Posted by Reeq, Sat Jan-02-21 03:20 PM
recycling 'adagio in d minor' for that trash ass flying scene might be some of the laziest/thoughtless bit of scoring ive ever seen.

when that shit started playing i was like 'cmon fam...yall just running outta ideas now huh?'.
740276, Yeah. Also reused the music from the “Martha” scene during
Posted by soulfunk, Sat Jan-02-21 04:37 PM
the climax of this...I honestly think in some of these films the composer sees the cut before scoring and is like “Oh, we’re phoning it in on this one? Okay.”...(see John Williams on Rise of Skywalker...)
740317, LMAO
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Jan-05-21 03:14 PM
740294, Wonder Woman 1984 Pitch Meeting (lmao)
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Mon Jan-04-21 10:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Tm0SxIp6w

740313, My manager posted this in a chat
Posted by handle, Tue Jan-05-21 10:12 AM
Someone had the Wonder Woman logo as their avatar and he posted this:
"WW84 was awesome!"

I'm in trouble.
740340, Super boring, but Chris Pine was cool.
Posted by JFrost1117, Mon Jan-11-21 04:42 PM