Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectone of the poorer marvel movies
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=728622&mesg_id=733892
733892, one of the poorer marvel movies
Posted by bshelly, Sat Mar-09-19 08:59 AM
They needed to make Carol far more interesting than she is in the comics. This version of Captain Marvel has a five year history, and even Kelly Sue DeConnick struggled to make her into something more than a generic GI Jane clone.

Marvel could have given her more lighthearted, almost silly moments to make an overpowered character more relatable, but they went the other way. They hired a so-so actress who looks the part and had her be a generic tough girl, with the only humor being her cracking on other people. Since she’ll presumably be less Kree killbot in the sequels, I hope we can a more well rounded character next time. A sidekick (KAMALA NOW) would help.

On the overpowering: it’s cool that she’s the most powerful hero in the MCU. It isn’t cool that she’s clearly five hundred times more powerful than Thor or the Hulk. A huge nerf is coming. They’ve painted themselves into a huge bind for the sequel villains. She has no classic enemies or classic storylines they can steal from. This version of Captain Marvel could fight Galactus’s heralds, which makes me think he’s the next big bad, which, awesome and suggests Reed Richards and them coming. They’re also set up to do an amazing Annihilation Wave story that could involve TChalla, the Four, Carol, the Kree and Skrull, etc,

Actually, as I write through this, I realize they’re going to need some heavy hitters for the post Avengers phases, so strike everything about overpowering I just said. I am very dumb.

On the plus side, all the skrulls and the Kree were great, as was lieutenant trouble. Edit: I loved the origin of her powers, and the writers deserve huge props for the most interesting presentation of an origin story I’ve seen with the flashback stuff. Oh, and Kelly Sue’s cameo and the train fight scene.