Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectWhat I have found helps is try and distance the comic storylies
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=728622&mesg_id=733846
733846, What I have found helps is try and distance the comic storylies
Posted by spenzalii, Wed Mar-06-19 11:51 AM
I had this issue with the Rami Spiderman movies and watching them with my son. When S:3 hit, I knew venom couldn't be done right because there was no Secret Wars, no F4, real Eddie Brock, etc. So in my mind there was no way it could be done right or in a way I;d accept because it didn't follow cannon. My son, on the other hand, only knew Venom from the 90's cartoon, video games and other pop culture references and was still on board. Now, from a basic storytelling and execution standpoint S:3 was still a mess, but I could see why my son was excited about seeing Venom on screen without having to find 20-some year old comics to explain how and why things are happening.

Kind of the same on the MCU as a whole. There will be story beats and threads that are the same or similar, but a lot of lore or character arcs simply can't or won't be done on screen. So I let the movies be their own thing. Based on, or in many cases, influenced by, but not always true to, the comic run. It keeps my innate nerd rage at bay and lets me enjoy the movies with those with less backstory/baggage