Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectmainstream white male geek intelligentsia is dogging this movie
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=728622&mesg_id=733525
733525, mainstream white male geek intelligentsia is dogging this movie
Posted by kevlar skully, Sat Feb-09-19 12:08 PM
obviously, it will still do good Marvel Studios numbers but "Black Panther Special" (to me) did mean something specific about the overwhelming support of underrepresented audiences but white woman/girl lead sci-fi/fantasy action adventure pictures aren't all that rare for this movie to reach "Black Panther special", imo

like, I doubt my Ma and half our church is going to see Captain Marvel all together like "Black Panther" or "Girls Trip". Certainly, some of those church people are going to see "Captain Marvel" in theaters because it's freaking Marvel but I sincerely doubt it's going to reach anything near the cultural phenomenon of "Black Panther" which wasn't made such a huge hit because of "comic geeks" but because of underrepresented audiences getting a big budget picture filled with mostly people of color FOR FUN; that what was special about "Black Panther", not the comic book hype but the hype from THE PEOPLE

half the response in this thread are Luke warm about this movie from "comic geeks". Captain Marvel isn't even that beloved by comic geeks who actually read comics so...