Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subject:( what a fucking gut-punch ending
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=726978&mesg_id=729606
729606, :( what a fucking gut-punch ending
Posted by araQual, Sun May-20-18 08:56 AM
just when i thought they were done fucking with FitzSimmons. yikes.
good thing they reminded us there's a frozen current-timeline Fitz out there somewhere. but that's gonna be a whole other kind of headfuck for Simmons to deal with.
Daisy's powerup was dope.
Graviton is a floating spacesicle but that still leaves it open for a future return.
the whole Chicago set piece was phenomenal, from Talbot's ship landing to extracting the gravitonium, and Daisy's throwdown with him. it felt like an MCU film.
goddamnit i was gonna throw something at the screen if Mack was actually done for. outside of it being a whole "let's kill the black guy" trope (RIP Agent Triplett), i think it made a heckuva lot of sense giving him the reigns. dude is on that Captain America idealism tip which is what's supposed to define S.H.I.E.L.D.
Coulson actually ending up in Tahiti was a nice touch. time for him and May to enjoy some 'para-sailing' (hopefully of the horizontal variety).
considering there's now officially a season 6, that should pretty much mean Coulson gets yet another life extension. and with his long-awaited return to the MCU next year, we can start to hope s6 will be intricately woven into the future of the MCU post-Avengers 4 (i know his inclusion in Captain Marvel is set in the 90s, but i think it might be a sneaky plan to get Coulson back into the current timeline MCU for future flicks).

it was definitely an emotional episode that got me in the feels on multiple occasions, but at times bordering on hokey with some of the dialogue, and Coulson's oddly gleeful celebration of Fitz's death, and his own impending demise. but one thing that made this whole show start to come together and click for me in the first place (sometime in season 3 i think), was the emotional connection between the team. without that, it becomes more procedural and a little colder. once they start acting like a 'family' instead of just a 'unit', i got fully invested in their collective and individual journeys.

hats off to the whole crew.
we'll see em again in 2019 i guess?

V.