Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThe ROTJ reference seemed pretty deliberate...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=726483&mesg_id=726970
726970, The ROTJ reference seemed pretty deliberate...
Posted by soulfunk, Fri Dec-29-17 02:33 PM
>I'm surprised that nobody seems to want to admit that.

The Rey and Kylo conversation in the elevator was almost a word for word rip of the Vader Luke convo in ROTJ, and the similarities didn't stop there. But I think it was a pretty deliberate way of leading the audience into thinking it would go one way but end up going another.

I actually think it was even more creative than that. Based on all the Kylo and Rey conversations, then all the ROTJ callbacks, the audience is thinking that either Kylo will turn, help Rey, and join the "good guys" or Rey will turn and join the "bad guys". I would have NEVER predicted Kylo killing Snoke, joining with Rey to kill the guards, but then both of them leaving with Kylo taking Snoke's place and Rey being firmly against him.

You also have the added creativity of Kylo, Rey, and Snoke all having seen visions of what would happen, and all three of those visions being accurate, but all three of them making incorrect assumptions.