Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectas a non-Star Wars fanatic, that was a dope-ass movie
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=726483&mesg_id=726534
726534, as a non-Star Wars fanatic, that was a dope-ass movie
Posted by araQual, Fri Dec-15-17 10:10 PM
lemme clarify that first part: i'm a huuuuuge nerd. but for some reason neither Star Wars or Trek resonated with me in my life. i consider the OG SW trilogy to be an important 'moment', but the films themselves don't hold up all that well with age (not the spesh efx, i mean the script, the dialogue, the acting). that shit got worse with the prequels.
but cos im a nerd, and cos i'd seen all the previous ones, i saw Force Awakens...and was bored shitless.

and THEN i saw Rogue One.
holy shit, i actually really liked a SW movie for the first time.
and now this.
if they can keep up the quality momentum of these last two installments, then i'm in for the rest of it.
lots of subverting of the regular 'hero's journey' crap we see played out over and over and over and over again in all forms of media. i don't think the decisions they made in that regard were 'brave' or 'bold' in the larger context of film and tv, it's only being considered that way cos it's happening in a SW film. a series not known for really subverting anything. but it's still an important shift for the universe overall.

also, Porgs.

V.