Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectAlita: Battle Angel (Robert Rodriguez, 2018)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=726353
726353, Alita: Battle Angel (Robert Rodriguez, 2018)
Posted by bwood, Fri Dec-08-17 04:00 PM
What the fuck is this?!

https://youtu.be/aj8mN_7Apcw
726355, the first 2 seconds made me want to turn it off. WTF
Posted by hardware, Fri Dec-08-17 04:28 PM
not only is it creepy, your first thought is that they're not even self-aware enough to hide the "Director doesn't understand the source material" cliche.

Bruh
I feel like it would be a challenge to sit there and watch this and not vomit. I'd rather spend two hours in a big centrifuge.
726373, Has the same thoughts. Shit gave me nightmares...
Posted by bwood, Sat Dec-09-17 10:55 AM
...last night. Deadass serious I woke up in a cold sweat.
726356, is there a creative reason why only the main character looks manga-ish?
Posted by Reeq, Fri Dec-08-17 05:02 PM
ima hold off judgment for now, given the names involved. but that wasnt a compelling 1st trailer.

as long as this thing has been in development, i hope that trailer wasnt representative of the final product.
726357, Because she's a robot and the others aren't?
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Dec-08-17 06:29 PM
That seems to be what I gleaned from the trailer, though admittedly I'm not familiar with the core material.

I will say that if nerds in the future could build human-sized robots, it would make sense that a bunch of them would make their women look like actual manga. lol.
726358, there are cyborgs in the trailer with normal human faces tho.
Posted by Reeq, Fri Dec-08-17 06:56 PM
maybe only she was designed like that tho? iono.

im not familiar with the original shit either but i skimmed through it on youtube and everyone consistently looks like a manga character lol.

>I will say that if nerds in the future could build human-sized
>robots, it would make sense that a bunch of them would make
>their women look like actual manga. lol.

lol true.
726360, NOPE! Im already creeped out
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Dec-08-17 07:26 PM
726361, Im not mad at it, but the CGI isn't there yet for what they trying to do
Posted by BigReg, Fri Dec-08-17 07:31 PM
Should have left the actresses face in tact so it doesn't feel so CGI, if you split the trailer and told me the scenes with Waltz was from a Total Recall remake and that last fight seen was Pixar trying out a teen novel actioner id believe you.
726364, I like that they are taking that chance.
Posted by Castro, Fri Dec-08-17 08:29 PM
726368, I'm honestly getting bored / tired with spec fic
Posted by astralblak, Sat Dec-09-17 12:39 AM
In film and fiction

Shits hella redundant at this point.

The narrative arcs aren't even good / new
726372, Nope. THIS IS OUR TIME CYBERPUNK NERDS
Posted by BigReg, Sat Dec-09-17 07:52 AM
Moar media where the future world looks like shit and robots gotta remind us what it means to be human, Where governments have been replaced by evil corporations, cities look like Hong Kong or Istambul on acid, and niggas wear overcoats no matter what the weather and everyone is investigating some shit. DARK TIMES CALL FOR DARK FILMS, even Star Trek got dark this time around my niggas!

I get your point tho, but I always felt gritty future flicks always get relegated to cult or b movie films. The rise of all these flicks is fantastic for genre fans who suffer through feasts and famines over the decades and I am going to cherish this wave like the assigned X-726 model servant robot that’s been assigned to me thats slowly catching’s for a nigga (Or is it pre-programmed to do so, lemmie grab my dick tracy coat and investigate).
726462, RE: prayer hands emoji
Posted by astralblak, Wed Dec-13-17 12:28 AM
726388, What's redundant are the storylines...not the genre
Posted by Castro, Sun Dec-10-17 12:23 PM
Its the same storylines dressed up with lasers, bots and H.U.D.s
726461, RE: fair
Posted by astralblak, Wed Dec-13-17 12:28 AM
but to add it's also look we should care cause their are Black folk, Latinxs, queer folk, women protagonists, w/o any real change in the story lines.

if there are no fundamental changes to the world(s) of the story, than it's just representation for representations sake.
726406, Rodriguez with a budget? I'm down.
Posted by kayru99, Mon Dec-11-17 09:13 AM
also, I don't get why they changed the name tho
Anime eyes is an interesting choice.
726418, They should have just adapted Windup Girl instead.
Posted by Nopayne, Mon Dec-11-17 05:34 PM
I dunno about this one.
726460, The trailer looks okay.
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Tue Dec-12-17 11:14 PM
For as long as this project has been in development it 'ought' to be more refined, I guess. But at least it's being made.

That being said, I agree with astralblak that the basic story themes of spec fic haven't evolved in quite some time. This seems to basically be a YA film with a big budget. It's cool to see a girl be the heroine for a change, but it seems like this basic story has been told hundreds of times.

The sad part is since the market doesn't support 'hard' sci-fi (Blade Runner 2046, even District 9 to a degree) like they do comic book movies or films like the Hunger Games there isn't an incentive for the studios to put money into a more innovative and imaginative stories for spec-fic movies.
726463, people need to make movies that aren't $100 million
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Dec-13-17 01:34 AM

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
726464, I know nothing about the source material, but I don't like the eyes thing
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Dec-13-17 01:35 AM

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
726466, this looks like a train wreck and i can’t wait to watch it.
Posted by IkeMoses, Wed Dec-13-17 02:34 AM
726477, AKA, Real Doll: The Movie
Posted by Innocent Criminal, Wed Dec-13-17 03:05 PM
It's been a long time since I've seen the anime, so I'll have no personal attachments to this, but it looks like trash.
726794, Everything about this looks trash
Posted by bignick, Thu Dec-21-17 02:39 PM
730746, Alita: Battle Angel | Official Trailer
Posted by j0510, Mon Jul-23-18 11:44 AM
Alita: Battle Angel | Official Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7pYhpJaJW8
730789, Aside from the the obvious CG issues with the girl, this looks okay
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed Jul-25-18 12:45 AM
My question is, why mix the live action with the CG main character?

The other androids have human faces matched with CG bodies, why didn't Alita have the same?

Or why is Alita the only CG character and the other actors performances are filmed?

This movie is in some weird shaky ground where it's neither CG cartoon or live action movie, when the story might work better if it were either of the two.

Maybe the technology powering Alita seemed promising in pre-production and so the production moved forward with the filmmakers thinking the CG techniques could be perfected over the length of the production?

Also, is the source material basically YA? For some reason when the news dropped that this was being made, when Cameron was attached, it seemed that the graphic novel this is based on (?) was darker than the tone that was described in this trailer. Rodriquez and the producers can do whatever they want with the original story but this just seemed geared towards 13-year olds in the same way that Avatar was. The way the pre-production press told it, this movie was going to be more graphic and dramatic.
730843, she's not human...so the CG actually serves a purpose in this case
Posted by gumz, Fri Jul-27-18 08:08 PM
i like it
730852, Oh, okay.
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Sun Jul-29-18 05:46 PM
Didn't know that bit about her character
733575, This has a lot in common with Aquaman
Posted by bwood, Tue Feb-12-19 10:00 PM
Both are have very cool fights and visuals made for IMAX 3D (both use the IMAX aspect ratio to it's advantage).

However both of these are dumb as fuck. Scripts for both are all over the place. And this is an anime come to life. Which would have been cool had The Matrix not done that shit 2 decades earlier.

This is mos def a James Cameron movie filtered through the lens of Robert Rodriguez. Take that as you will.

Rejoice that they made Alita's eyes much smaller than what's in the trailer in the initial post. The close-up of her waking up is still hella creepy and cats did groan at that shit.

This is better than Aquaman tho as the visuals are much better and the runtime is 30 minutes shorter (even though it still felt long).
733608, Liked it. Great visuals, earnest story, lots of silly/cool action.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Feb-15-19 12:20 PM
Checks a lot of my personal boxes. Save for the abrupt ending, I enjoyed it, and I'd be here for the sequel that obviously isn't going to happen.
733636, Can I see this in 2D or must I see the 3D?
Posted by handle, Mon Feb-18-19 12:14 PM
I'm pretty down on 3D at the moment, the dark look and the glasses messing with my prescription glasses.

Does this movie work in 2D , or mus tit be seen in 3D like Avatar?
733638, RE: Can I see this in 2D or must I see the 3D?
Posted by bwood, Mon Feb-18-19 12:18 PM
3D.
733642, BOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Posted by handle, Mon Feb-18-19 04:19 PM
>3D.
Man I hate 3D now.

I'll go see it (kicks rocks.)
733640, 3D didn't do much for me but didn't see it via IMAX either
Posted by jigga, Mon Feb-18-19 03:15 PM

733647, I thought the IMAX 3D owned.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Feb-18-19 07:40 PM
733652, So much of this movie is dumb, but main girl is oddly compelling.
Posted by stylez dainty, Tue Feb-19-19 12:41 PM
I have to say, the eyes work. The whole character is strangely endearing. Could see this becoming a cult favorite, the all time favorite movie of a certain set of strange neckbeard types.

EDIT: Already, I see the movie surpassed box office projections, even though it's far from a hit by the standard of action blockbusters.
733656, oddly compelling is spot on
Posted by jigga, Tue Feb-19-19 02:04 PM
>I have to say, the eyes work. The whole character is
>strangely endearing.

Wasn't so much the eyes but the voice definitely worked for me

Wish Jeff Fahey wasn't wasted though...dude was awesome in Machete
733661, Yeah, very good voice acting for her.
Posted by stylez dainty, Tue Feb-19-19 03:12 PM