Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectthe Gumba..er,July 2017 B & N 1/2 OFF CRITERION has begun!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=723328
723328, the Gumba..er,July 2017 B & N 1/2 OFF CRITERION has begun!
Posted by rdhull, Fri Jul-14-17 10:15 PM
http://criterioncast.com/news/the-july-2017-barnes-noble-50-off-criterion-collection-sale-has-begun
723344, no suggestions?
Posted by rdhull, Sun Jul-16-17 12:55 PM
723380, caught a screening of The Organizer last week
Posted by benny, Mon Jul-17-17 10:09 AM
really good, it mixes in Neo-Realism (tho Monicelli defends his movie from being part of the genre) with broad Italian comedy. Ken Loach meets uh, Mel Brooks. OK that doesn't make any sense and tbf the comedy is sprinkled in more than anything, but the end result here is very deft. Mastroianni is good, but the entire cast shines.

Also, if you haven't seen Michael Curtiz' Mildred Pierce that's an insta-cop.

Oh, and for every $50 spent at BN.com you get a $10 gift card.
723368, Buena Vista Social Club is the truth.
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Mon Jul-17-17 03:37 AM
A nice documentary about a group of Cuban musicians. The segments about the musicians are interwoven with coverage of a concert the musicians gave in New York. The concert may have been the first concert these musicians gave in the States.

The accompanying album is amazing as well, if you're into traditional Cuban music.
723385, ended up w/ Blow Up and Dylans Dont Look Back but July isnt over
Posted by rdhull, Mon Jul-17-17 11:58 AM
723387, have you seen these?
Posted by howisya, Mon Jul-17-17 12:36 PM
i really want to see Dont Look Back. it's one of the legendary music films and documentaries in general. i'm also liking dylan more as i grow older, to be sadly predictable.

Blow Up i would probably enjoy more on 2nd viewing. i actually preferred its remake, Blow Out (Brian De Palma‎, John Travolta), which is also available from The Criterion Collection.

anyway, enjoy.
723391, Nah
Posted by rdhull, Mon Jul-17-17 01:25 PM
>i really want to see Dont Look Back. it's one of the
>legendary music films and documentaries in general. i'm also
>liking dylan more as i grow older, to be sadly predictable.
>
>Blow Up i would probably enjoy more on 2nd viewing. i actually
>preferred its remake, Blow Out (Brian De Palma‎, John
>Travolta), which is also available from The Criterion
>Collection.
>
>anyway, enjoy.

I'm at the same point with Dylan and at some time in the future I'll get the depalma but I have others ahead of it