Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectYep. I don't think they've advanced that narrative at all.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=722729&mesg_id=722774
722774, Yep. I don't think they've advanced that narrative at all.
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jun-15-17 01:14 PM
Which is fine, there’s merit to a relationship like that but after First Class they should have used DOFP and AOA to further build the supporting cast while letting Logan, Erik & Chuck lay in the cut.
Preferably Mystique dies in that scenario, but I digress.

Further, both DOFP and AOA could- and should- have been two part films and each realistically could have been developed into trilogies.

Instead cramming into one AOA movie, they could have done a whole trilogy centered around Mister Sinister, Apocalypse, Cyclops and Jean, telling the origin stories of Nate Gray and Cable. Meanwhile they could have gotten someone competent to do fantastic four properly and introduce Franklin.

Spend the Summers trilogy planting seeds to Onslaught and follow up with a new trilogy centered around Onslaught. And no, they don’t need the Avengers and Hulk and company to tell that story. It should be relatively simple enough to retcon to focus on the characters Fox owns *or* strike a deal for a crossover mega event. Nate would make all that plausible enough with his interdimensional abilities and the whole thing could serve as a prequel to the MCU, with the MCU essentially serving as the “pocket universe” Franklin created to save them.

BOOM. That’s a decade of X-Men movies where multiple characters get a chance to breathe and shine.

It doesn’t hav eto be that specific outline either. The point is that they have an abundance of source material and they seem to be doing an awful lot of cramming instead of world-building, and the result has been something significantly less than it’s potential. They need a sharper eye toward the big picture. Marvel has a full on road map for every phase and they always know where they want to be 5 years from any point in time and each film in that cannon is able to help build with the others to a cumulative climax.

If people are cool with big, dumb, loud and colorful mindlessly disposable X-films, have at it. I'd like to see better. Lord knows they've got many a blueprint to work with.