Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subject*sigh* Alright, well, I'll defend this then...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=722729&mesg_id=722766
722766, *sigh* Alright, well, I'll defend this then...
Posted by phenompyrus, Thu Jun-15-17 08:59 AM
I'm an X-Men fan. I grew up watching the animated series, reading the comic books... I love these characters and stories.

I like most of the movies. In fact, the only 2 that outright suck IMO are X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

I even liked X-Men: Apocalypse, but I understand that most people didn't.

But answer me something... When did the franchise become the dumpster fire to most fans?

X-Men: Apocalypse one 1 of the last 4 films in the greater franchise, the other 3 being X-Men: Days of Future Past, Deadpool, and Logan.

All 3 of those movies were well liked across the board, i.e. meeting the 3 key pieces films need to succeed... They made money, fans liked them, and critics did too (according to RT at least)... Although I understand DoFP is seen in a lesser light as of late... for some reason or another.

This all changed with 1 film then? X-Men: Apocalypse was THAT bad? I mean, even the MCU has survived shitty films (ahem... Iron Man 3... ahem). DC just had their first hit of 4 (I liked Man of Steel, but again, I understand most didn't).

Now, I have to say that of the 3 X-Men films coming in 2018 (Deadpool 2, New Mutants, Dark Phoenix), DP is the one I am least looking forward to, but they are bringing back classic characters, actors who do a good job (McAvoy and Fassbender are still fantastic), while attempting to adapt the most famous X-Men story of all-time.

Sure, X-Men: Apocalypse had its missteps: Mystique has been used entirely too much b/c of J-Law's star power attached; Apocalypse was one of the countless crappy comic book villains that are a part of all comic book movies good and bad, just to name a couple...

I just don't understand why we'd let crappy films pass in other franchises, but allow just 1 film to ruin this franchise. Who cares if Deadpool and Logan are in different timelines, the timelines of the base material has been fucked for years, as long as the movies are entertaining, don't we all win? Does everything need the connectedness that the MCU has nearly perfected? (They still have not yet perfected it, those damn TV and Netflix shows)

I understand that one bad apple can ruin the batch, but are we ready to throw this to the wolves b/c of X-Men: Apocalypse and ppl retroactively hating DoFP?

Let's talk.