Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectWith the 2018 X-Men slate announced by Fox, which are you excited for?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=721427
721427, With the 2018 X-Men slate announced by Fox, which are you excited for?
Posted by bwood, Wed Dec-31-69 07:00 PM
I'd be lying if I wasn't burnt out on X-Men, but I'll give Deadpool 2 a shot.

With that said, John "The Fault in Our Stars" Boone is doing New Mutants which drops April 13th 2018 and is supposed to have a young adult vibe (😶😐) which I guess. It's supposed to have Negasonic Teenage Warhead as the primary team leader (I guess). Not a frame of this has been shot yet, so this shit has some serious crunch time.

Deadpool 2 drops June 18, 2018. Pretty much explains itself.

And X-Men: Dark Phoenix. Written and directed by Simon Kinberg. Looking at what that dude has written kinda makes me wish he'd just be a producer for the rest of his career. Not to mention I don't think anyone is clamoring to see Dark Phoenix again. And certainly not by this guy.

To be honest with the endings of X-Men: Apocalypse and Logan, does anyone give a fuck about any if this outside of Deadpool? And maybe X-Force? Rumor has it that Generation X is being developed for a 2019 or 2020 release.

Poll question: With the 2018 X-Men slate announced by Fox, which are you excited for?

Poll result (14 votes)
New Mutants nigga!!! (0 votes)Vote
Deadpool 2 of course! (7 votes)Vote
Dark Phoenix bitch! (0 votes)Vote
I don't wanna see any of this shit. (7 votes)Vote

721428, All of 'em.
Posted by phenompyrus, Mon Apr-24-17 03:18 PM
I'm an X-Men fan, and Apocalypse wasn't complete trash IMO, so I'll check for all of them.
721430, X-Men was my shit but damn I am so tired of these movies
Posted by RobOne4, Mon Apr-24-17 03:58 PM
Deadpool is the only one I will check out.
721431, the Dark Phoenix one. Sansa Stark gonna act a fool in that one.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Apr-24-17 03:59 PM
721434, Going YA with the New Mutants makes sense but...
Posted by mrshow, Mon Apr-24-17 09:27 PM
rushing it through production doesn't.

If Jackman really is done with Logan, why not do a full X-Men reboot with some new blood behind the camera?

721435, His comments on Dark Phoenix were odd.
Posted by SoulHonky, Mon Apr-24-17 10:10 PM
“The seeds of Phoenix definitely are planted in ,” continued Kinberg. “She can’t control her powers unless she either fully stops them or lets them all loose, and that’s kind of Phoenix. I think in future movies to come we’ll definitely see a bit more of that.”

Makes it sound like the Dark Phoenix saga is going to be multi-film thing.

I'm not writing Kinberg off but I'm not a huge believer in him. I'll check out Deadpool but the others are wait and see at best. Might be rentals like Apocalypse (which I don't think I've made it through yet.)
721449, Basically just Deadpool or bust
Posted by BigReg, Tue Apr-25-17 01:19 PM
With a good director (John Boone counts) a good script (they even have one of these yet? LOL) and time (which apparently they def. don't have) New Mutant's could be great...that comic was always underappreciated and they had some great storylines to mine from even if they end up being YA friendly.

Dark Phoenix saga? LOL. What emotional connection do we currently have to any of the characters. It was always a double edged sword as a story line

1)That whole, friend got power hungry and we gotta take him down is a played storyline that would have to be flipped hard either emotionally (which they dont have) or plotwise to make it interesting.

2)The story line is convoluted as hell so they are basically gonna have to do it from scratch, of which they've laid no real gro
721451, just Deadpool
Posted by BigWorm, Tue Apr-25-17 02:29 PM
Honestly I thought Apocalypse was pretty bad. And after the second viewing I realized that the only part of Days of Future Past that I liked was the Quicksilver scene. Come to think of it, I even sort of checked out of First Class after they killed off the one and only black mutant.

Logan might be the only one I thought was legit great. That even counts the first two X-Men Movies.

Disney/Marvel is just so far ahead of Fox, Sony and WB in terms of world building and just good superhero movies. At least Deadpool isn't even trying to be great, it's just a fun change of pace.
721454, ^^^ i couldn't get through any of them except deadpool and logan
Posted by Ashy Achilles, Tue Apr-25-17 03:32 PM
they're always on tv but i end up getting bored/tuning them out every time
721455, apocalypse was so bad oscar isaac couldn't save it.
Posted by Rjcc, Tue Apr-25-17 03:33 PM

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
721496, Apocalypse was a truly shitty movie.
Posted by will_5198, Wed Apr-26-17 08:13 PM
721453, deadpool
Posted by Ashy Achilles, Tue Apr-25-17 03:30 PM
721465, I really wish Fox would stop with X-Men at least temporarily.....
Posted by rorschach, Tue Apr-25-17 07:31 PM
If they aren't going to partner up with Marvel Studios to bring the X-Men into the MCU, at least give everyone a break on the core team so they can come back better.

The overall style of the X-Men films is tired. It's time to rethink how an X-Men film should be.

---------------------------------------

721467, I feel the same exact way
Posted by bwood, Tue Apr-25-17 08:38 PM
This franchise is played
721502, Yeah, Logan and Deadpool work because they aren't like the other films....
Posted by rorschach, Thu Apr-27-17 01:14 AM
Stylistically or plot-wise. There are a lot of possibilities for the X-Men franchise and I'd hate to see quality stories wasted on tired execution.

Sony just waved the white flag with Spiderman over this same problem. They were blowing it with that reboot and finally gave up. Fox should do the same thing. They've already blown Fantastic Four. I didn't even watch X-Men: Apocalypse (cause I hate Apocalypse as a character) but I couldn't even get past 30 minutes without being annoyed (I tried twice).

I don't even know anyone that likes that movie.

Hell....maybe Fox should wave the flag just so Disney can stop making Marvel tank the X-Men books.

721468, None of the above.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Apr-25-17 09:03 PM
Although Josh Brolin as Cable is *such* great casting that, although I didn't like the first Deadpool, I'd likely give this a shot.
721471, I'm skeptical on all 3.
Posted by JFrost1117, Tue Apr-25-17 11:37 PM
I hope they really really know why DP won the first time. Don't up the ante on gore and profanity, just make the shit fun again.

New Mutants...eh. The core mutants we've been seeing still feel like rookies.

I'll believe it when I see it, but in my bones, I don't feel like the whole span of the Dark Phoenix can be crammed into one movie.
725308, Good time to bump this poll back up.
Posted by bwood, Fri Oct-13-17 08:34 AM
With The New Mutants trailer drop this morning, I'm interested to see if opinions change.

Mine not so much.
735585, Wow. Looking back on this post, I feel like Nostradamus.
Posted by bwood, Sat Aug-17-19 03:58 AM
Fox managed to single handedly run their biggest franchise into the ground.

If Disney hadn't bought them out, they'd be in big, big trouble.
735624, Yeah I'm Glad Fox Sold It To Disney
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Tue Aug-20-19 03:54 PM
>Fox managed to single handedly run their biggest
>franchise into the ground. If Disney hadn't bought
>them out, they'd be in big, big trouble.

Agreed, it's like they knew they was trying to fuck it up, to piss on it's true back stories of racial stereotyping from the powers that be.

I hope Disney just reboots the entire franchise from the bottom up.