Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectDon't mind the idea. Zak Penn is a less than inspired choice.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=720460&mesg_id=720464
720464, Don't mind the idea. Zak Penn is a less than inspired choice.
Posted by SoulHonky, Wed Mar-15-17 12:58 AM
They obviously could do a better job with the franchise as a whole this time, knowing that they are moving forward with multiple films from the jump. They can't rely on the FX like they did before unless they have some new VR or 3D approach that could wow people but I have no real issue with someone wanting a second swing and making this a full-fledged franchise with possible spin-offs.

And I know that you can't tell whether or not the original screenplay is what makes the screen or if it was rewritten along the way but Zak Penn's track record isn't great. PCU might be his best movie. His past forays into superhero scripts are awful with X-Men: The Last Stand and Elektra. (We know that The Incredible Hulk had script issues with Ed Norton so that one's not on Penn.)

If we're looking for 90's WB films to remake into franchises, I might try out some earlier 90's films first and give The Matrix a few more years so new technology might be able to elevate it. Perhaps go with:
- Maverick franchise - get Gosling and Stone or McAdams.
- Joe versus the Volcano franchise! Joe vs. Geostorm!
- The Neverending Story reboot?
- New Jack City epic
- Dennis the Menace
- Grumpy Old Men with Pacino and DeNiro
- Another shot at the Lestat books?