Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRE: amazon shutting down imdb message boards
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=719492&mesg_id=726452
726452, RE: amazon shutting down imdb message boards
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Tue Dec-12-17 08:00 PM
>i know this move was partially or at least
>ostensibly because of legacy software they didn't want to
>maintain, but i really do worry about media consolidation and
>the resulting ability to suppress divergent viewpoints by
>simply removing the platform.

Especially in an probably upcoming age without Net Neutrality.

But your post about the quality of the content on imdb on the other hand points to the lack of quality sources of opinions by movie fans.

You would think that someone or some company would have come up for a means of having some type of online community based around fan interest in movies, but if there's one out there it escapes me. Letterboxd is okay, but I don't think they allow for comments from other users. So you end up missing out on more elaborate discussions that used to be the case here and other places on the Web.

On another note, does anyone know of any video shows, online or cable, that feature film criticism? For some reason it's really hard for me to get into 'reading' comments on film, even here at times. Not so much because the writing isn't well done, but because discussion art through language is difficult, especially when that language is written.

I liked the TV shows because they would show clips of the film and the discussions were spontaneous and might touch on subjects that seemed tangential but had merit to the point of the discussion.