Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRE: i was on there everyday 10 years ago...it was a great platform
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=719492&mesg_id=719528
719528, RE: i was on there everyday 10 years ago...it was a great platform
Posted by howisya, Mon Feb-06-17 11:27 AM
>to discuss movies but it turned into a shit show not too long
>after that. I'll miss what it used to be but it hasn't been
>that for a very long time.

what was the turning point? where did you first notice it?

20+ years of communicating online has given me a high tolerance for tomfoolery. i'm probably more inclined to find trolling funny than be genuinely offended. most of the time it's so obvious and stupid that it's easy for me to recognize and ignore.

it really is/was a great platform. i know there have been times i've checked the boards for major new releases and hot directors and actors, but i was usually looking for something in particular or to get a general impression, not to participate in conversations and never to be a regular of any particular board. i would mostly notice it's busy and that a lot of the conversation was superficial or not particularly intelligent, but i chalked that up to the high volume and mass appeal. i noticed name calling, but i think it's been so long since i've checked one of these popular boards that the dawn of the (racist) troll era missed me, thankfully.

>For a while I split time between here and there...haven't been
>on there in ages though.

i posted sporadically from 2005 to 2010 and barely since. there was a time i would engage in discussions, but in recent years it's mostly been an indispensable resource for me in exploring old movies. that a board could only have a few posts and that they dated back over a decade wasn't a mark against it for me as long as there was quality discussion and information. i've gleaned so much from the imdb boards, i'm still in disbelief amazon is just going to delete them all in two weeks. to me it's not just a crackdown on free speech; it's like book burning.