Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThat wasn't deserved?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=719228&mesg_id=719359
719359, That wasn't deserved?
Posted by SoulHonky, Thu Jan-26-17 11:30 AM
I mean, dude clashed with Disney over the script and, in response, hired someone to document the making of his soon-to-be-classic to shove it in their face but instead he fell on his. After which he moved on to making "the greatest b-movie ever" and delivered The Happening.

People go through slumps. People let success go to their heads. The now-beloved Bill Murray was a complete asshole for a good span of his life (and still refuses to bury some of the hatchets from that time.) I don't think it's unfair to say Night got a big head and proceeded to dump four poorly received, if not just objectively bad movies.

Some of the hate was extra but not sure it's reasonable to act like Night didn't have some hate coming. Although I would agree that Night was never the critics' darling like Burton or QT so people were quicker to pull the trigger on the hate. Also, Burton was saved from some of the hate because his worst stretch featured Johnny Depp, who bore the brunt of the blowback.