Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectwell, ive never read the books....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=718581&mesg_id=742404
742404, well, ive never read the books....
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Oct-23-21 08:08 AM
>Believe the hype. Dune is the real deal. IMAX is the only way
>to see it (I saw it on the 8 story IMAX, the biggest in North
>America). Every frame of this is beautiful. This is what you
>go to the movies for. It's a complex story about colonialism,
>politics and betrayal. But it has a very human story about
>family and accepting yourself (as well as your destiny) at the
>center of it. Please go see this ASAP so we can get Part Two
>as this is only the first half of the story. I can't wait to
>see this again with friends.
>
>Really the only thing preventing this from being a masterpiece
>is it's only the first half of the story.
>

...ive never read the books, but yeah, i pretty much agree with all of this.

i know some folks are thinking/saying 'man, its gonna be hard for people who havent read the books to get into this....'

but nah, not so. Yeah, it took a sec to 'get my footing', but i was able to understand what was happening & why, and knew what was goin on and got the overarching themes etc. Sure, there were two or three times we paused the TV (we were watching on HBO MAX), but we were just pausing so that we could read the subtitles. (im a slow reader lol :)

but yeah, overall i was able to 'get' what was being put down story & theme wise and i was engaged. I was engaged enough to NOT want it to end after 2 & 1/2 hours.

it was an absolutely gorgeous, excellently crafted, and well acted sci-fi feast imo. Thumbs up over here. We're gonna go to see it in IMAX sometime next week, where im betting i'll enjoy it even more.

and yeah, if you can swing it, and if ya feel comfortable doing so wherever you are, try to check it out in a theater (cuz i want this to make at least enough money that the suits will eventually finance the rest of the story lol.)