Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThe Leftovers Season 3. The Final Season.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=718105
718105, The Leftovers Season 3. The Final Season.
Posted by bwood, Tue Dec-06-16 02:08 PM
A message from Damon and Tom:
https://twitter.com/TheLeftoversHBO/status/806203873396424705

So, there moving from Texas to Australia where Kevin's dad is (or so he said in purgatory).

The second season was some of the best storytelling in any medium. Threw me off guard how a show could improve drastically in quality.

718126, season 2 was some of the best tv i've ever seen
Posted by araQual, Wed Dec-07-16 04:45 AM
can't wait for them to wrap it all up.

V.
718239, season 2 was some of the best tv i've ever seen AGREED!
Posted by calminvasion, Sun Dec-11-16 03:42 PM
Perfection, I feel sad that not very many people will ever experience it.

Looking forward for to three, but that season will always stand on its own to me
718129, looking forward to this
Posted by Boogiedwn, Wed Dec-07-16 09:07 AM
718148, I am fucking hype this season is a thing.
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Dec-07-16 09:37 PM
While S2 could have ended as-is, the show absolutely deserves a chance to definitely conclude the series.

This show was at or near the top of a ton of best-of lists and it's AWESOME that HBO renewed it despite ugly ass ratings. The good thing is it they're firing it up in April instead of stacked October like last time.

It's a long wait but at least it'll give me time to rewatch the first two season. The show isn't for everyone but if season 3 even sniffs the brilliance of S2 it easily slots into one of my personal favorite... things, of all time, of any medium.

That said, that twitter reveal was lame as hell, hah
718258, Can't wait and about time.
Posted by phenompyrus, Mon Dec-12-16 08:51 AM
n/m
718580, Entertainment Weekly's first look
Posted by bwood, Wed Dec-21-16 03:20 PM
http://ew.com/tv/2016/12/21/leftovers-season-3-finale/?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

The Leftovers: First look at the final season
JAMES HIBBERD@JAMESHIBBERD

UPDATED DECEMBER 21, 2016 AT 2:22PM EST

Why Australia? HBO’s uniquely apocalyptic drama The Leftovers spent its debut season in upstate New York, then moved the beleaguered Garvey family to a Texas town for season 2, and now in its third-and-final outing, Kevin (Justin Theroux) makes another sudden departure by trekking all the way down to Oz.

“Australia is the end of the world geographically and our show is about the end-of-the-world emotionally,” showrunner Damon Lindelof explains. “And there’s also something about Australian cinema — it’s primal, ancient and spiritual — that felt like it fit The Leftovers, whether it’s Mad Max movies or Walkabout, or Waking Fright or Peter Weir movies.”

Lindelof is closely guarding the secrets of the final episodes, but the showrunner tells us that Kevin initially plans a rather brief visit down under along with certain other characters — as you’d expect from a show about a rapture-like event, not everybody gets to take the trip (“This is not like The Bradys going to Hawaii,” Lindelof says).

But once he arrives, Kevin’s troubled father (Scott Glenn), who may or may not be hearing messages from God, pulls him into a rather unexpected situation. “It’s like The Godfather,” Lindelof says. “Marlon Brando keeps telling his son Michael, ‘I don’t want this business for you,’ but every time the sh– hits the fan, Michael is in the room. So Senior is mixed up in something and pulls Kevin into it.”

Even though there are only eight episodes in the final run, you can still expect installments that drill down on telling a story focusing on a single character. The season’s pacing, Lindelof adds, will also feel like the show is building toward a final act. “Though there are some big crazy ideas in the third-and-final season, we wanted to feel like we were building toward something conclusive,” he says. “I wanted to take full advantage of the fact that when the audience watches the first episode of season 3 that they know it’s the beginning of the end. You don’t want to feel like an epilogue, but a climax.”

Having said that, The Leftovers fans know by now to not expect a list of answers to the drama’s many mysteries. Lindelof’s last series was ABC’s Lost, and before The Leftovers even premiered he was cautioning potential viewers not to watch this existential drama (whose first season was based on Tom Perrotta’s novel) if they wanted traditional cause-and-effect storytelling. Still, the writer-producer also doesn’t want his show’s loyal viewers to be left feeling perturbed. “It’s a very careful storytelling process because you don’t want to frustrate the audience,” Lindelof says. “It’s one thing to say, ‘I’m giving you this box with a present inside and you’re never going to open it’ — who’s going to accept that gift? We’re constantly trying to modulate and fulfill the promises we’ve made. And it’s not enough to say that all we care about is the characters and not the mythology. But I do think with The Leftovers the word ‘mythology’ doesn’t necessarily apply the way it does to Lost or Westworld or Stranger Things or True Detective. Those shows have clearly defined mythologies. We don’t want to frustrate the audience but The Leftovers plays by its own set of rules and will continue to do so.

For more on The Leftovers, The Americans, and more, pick up Entertainment Weekly’s First Look Issue, on stands Friday, and subscribe for more exclusive interviews and photos, only in EW.

The Leftovers will return in April
719263, First teaser
Posted by bwood, Tue Jan-24-17 03:14 PM
https://youtu.be/qj1tpBYiHnU
719880, Rewatching the first two seasons...
Posted by wallysmith, Thu Feb-23-17 12:06 PM
just finished S1E6. Knowing how these relationships develop adds real weight to their early interactions. The big scenes are still stunning, but with a rewatch it's easier to focus on the subtle interactions. So many beautifully haunting moments so far (spoilers if you haven't watched the first season):

- Kevin and Jill finally saying "I love you" to each other
- Agent Kilaney's voice growing chillingly cold when he offered to "remove" the threat (I completely forgot about this subplot)
- Patty hinting at their "last session" to Laurie then writing "Neil" at the cafe
- Meg's resolve when denying Kevin at the house
- "In your opinion, do you believe ___________ is in a better place?"

And they were schticky on the first watch, but I've completely come around on the notion of the Guilty Remnant. There are a lot of little nuances that support how such a "gimmicky" cult could exist (and they're not the only ones either). The "Gladys" and "Guest" episodes were especially powerful in showing how different people deal with a phenomenon that's so... unsettled.

But it's not perfect. The "Holy Wayne" stuff still doesn't click. I completely understand that this world is meant to explore the thin line between the natural and the supernatural (The Departure, feral dogs, mystic deer, gambling pigeons, etc.) but I think Wayne veers too far off in one direction for how much time the storyline receives. I also feel that they've never satisfactorily explained why Tom refuses to be "healed" by his employer. I really hope they explore Tom further in S3 because in both seasons his (lack of) character sticks out like a sore thumb.

Watching the Wayne stuff this season just reminds me of how well Isaac was handled in S2... is he just incredibly perceptive or does he have actual "powers"? With Isaac's drawings you can reasonably fall into the belief that he's using something "above and beyond" to help people but with Wayne's "magic hug" the repercussions are too pronounced to straddle that line effectively. I'm still a couple episodes from finishing the season but I remember having this same vague disappointed feeling regarding that storyline.

720668, Yeah, rewatching the last three eps of S1...
Posted by wallysmith, Mon Mar-20-17 07:00 PM
reaffirmed my earlier sentiment that it more than redeemed the rest of the season. There's less of an emphasis on Holy Wayne, but even his few (pivotal) scenes were better than I remembered). And if you've already seen S2, there are so many scenes that resonate deeply on a rewatch.

Can't wait to start S2, such an amazing exploration of what humanity is capable of.
720562, Full trailer. And the last one I'm watching too.
Posted by bwood, Thu Mar-16-17 02:30 PM
https://youtu.be/L9w0sz5y83k
720911, holy shit, they filmed some of that in my city (Melbourne)
Posted by araQual, Fri Mar-31-17 04:39 AM
i recognised the laneways and the street art.
kind of a trip they're ending things off in Aus.
ep4 is even called "G'Day Melbourne".
damn, wish i knew the shooting schedule, woulda tried to sneak off and find them on my lunch breaks lol.

V.
720910, so the episode title of the series finale is...
Posted by araQual, Fri Mar-31-17 04:37 AM
"A Full Explanation for The Departure That Is Both Physically and Religiously Satisfying".
lolllll.
this show man.
cant fucking wait.

V.
720932, thats some A+ lindelof trolling
Posted by dgonsh, Fri Mar-31-17 04:13 PM
I love the story he told on "The Watch" podcast how they (the leftovers writers) wrote the pregnant woman scene that opened season 2 specifically as a troll on Chris and Andy constantly calling the show bleak and depressing.
721259, Wow. That could've been the last episode and I'd be satisfied
Posted by bwood, Sun Apr-16-17 09:08 PM
So good. Every moment. This episode alone redeems all of Season One.
721282, Can't wait to watch it...
Posted by wallysmith, Tue Apr-18-17 08:43 AM
... gotta wait for the wife to come back from a work trip before I touch the premiere.

But I gotta say, on a rewatch, the first season comes off much better. When you no longer need to puzzle out why things are (GR, is Dean real or not, why Laurie joined, etc.) you can linger on the subtler moments in the scenes. The continuity is STRONG from season 1 to 2 (and I assume to 3 now), which makes what Lindelof's done past the written material that much more impressive.
721283, I'm interested to know how Damon and Tom break stories
Posted by bwood, Tue Apr-18-17 10:12 AM
Is it by episode or the overall season cause the premiere is one of the best written pieces of media I've had the pleasure of watching.
721317, Sounds like a little of column A, a little of column B...
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Apr-19-17 12:12 PM
Great read on the process and events behind Season 3 (there apparently could have been more seasons?):

http://deadline.com/2016/06/damon-lindelof-the-leftovers-season-3-interview-plot-michael-lombardo-lost-1201778131/
721266, It was a complete mistake on my part
Posted by Numba_33, Mon Apr-17-17 08:36 AM
watching this without re-watching any of the prior seasons recently. Barely remembered the backstory of the majority of the characters. I have to carve out some time this weekend to binge the second season; I remember not liking the 'dream sequences' in the hotel for the main character when I first watched them.

I eagerly await to see how Regina King will kill her scenes in this last season.
721346, If you have any questions, let me know...
Posted by wallysmith, Thu Apr-20-17 09:02 AM
I just finished the second season yesterday in anticipation of the premiere.

Lot of little things I forgot, but I'm really glad I rewatched the first two seasons.
721401, Thanks for the offer, but I want to
Posted by Numba_33, Mon Apr-24-17 08:38 AM
re-discover the show for the self. Hopefully that doesn't sound like I'm being too ungrateful with your offer, but I want to get the joy of almost seeing the show against for the first time since it's been many moons since I've seen the first and second seasons. For instance, I vaguely remember the Regina King scenes from the prior seasons, but I remember being wowed by an episode or two of hers on the show, so I think I'll enjoy watching the old episodes again. I just have to plunk down the hours needed the binge watch the show.
721280, If the rest of the season is as good as that premier
Posted by IkeMoses, Tue Apr-18-17 03:57 AM
The Leftovers is going to wind up being my favorite show ever.
721313, ^^^^
Posted by araQual, Wed Apr-19-17 09:32 AM
V.
721316, Chances are decent this is the case...
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Apr-19-17 11:36 AM
Den of geek (spoiler free):
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/the-leftovers/263830/the-leftovers-season-3-review-spoiler-free

"The Leftovers Season 3 is remarkable in its final hours, confident in its vision and uninterested in tidy resolutions, throwing a party at the end of the world and crying if it wants to. You don’t have to be religious to preach its gospel; this equally tragic and absurd season will make you a believer."

Vulture (spoilers):
http://www.vulture.com/2017/04/the-leftovers-season-three-review.html

"I’ve moved past depression and into acceptance when it comes to this series, but I’m still going to miss it when it’s gone."

AV Club (spoilers):
http://www.avclub.com/review/leftovers-offers-satisfying-end-world-robbed-one-253690

"We all want closure, but when it comes The Leftovers, it’s just good to get a little more time."

Variety (light spoilers, great review):
http://variety.com/2017/tv/reviews/leftovers-season-3-review-final-episodes-1202029489/

"The core achievement of “The Leftovers” — aside from crafting triumphantly coherent and delightfully bizarre episodes of television that boast beginnings, middles and endings and twists that feel both bananas and totally right — is that it celebrates our desire to ascribe meanings to things. The show sees very clearly how often we elide and edit the truth in our pursuit of some kind of coherent narrative about the losses we’ve suffered and the connections we cherish, but it’s not cruel about our myopia.

“The Leftovers” is essential viewing because it understands that popular culture and organized religion are both collections of attempts to find meaning, patterns, community, and coherence in a frighteningly random universe, which is why we fight over series finales and sacred texts with such vehemence.

But this miraculous series masterfully holds ambiguity and extremely robust storytelling in the same generous bear hug. How do you sum up a show that takes you on a rocketship ride of fear, love, pain and adrenaline, and makes a bunch of left turns and big swings, all in pursuit of reassuring itself, and us, that it’s OK that we don’t know anything, and connection is possible despite the fact that we’re all just a bunch of hopeless goofballs who are continually distracted by the wrong things?"
721320, my body is ready. The Leftovers is legit one of the funniest shows ever
Posted by IkeMoses, Wed Apr-19-17 12:31 PM
but few people appreciate the comedy.

maybe reading the book first helped me see the humor better, but i think this show is hella ahead of its time.
721333, The book is definitely funnier
Posted by 13Rose, Wed Apr-19-17 04:49 PM
I'm glad I read it although it was after season 2.
721334, the show is just as funny. it's just feels different on screen.
Posted by IkeMoses, Wed Apr-19-17 04:55 PM
721722, I just started reading the book this Saturday.
Posted by Numba_33, Sun May-07-17 09:19 PM
The author is very descriptive in his prose; I'm up to the part there Nora has her routine watching Spongebob Squarepants. I'm amazed dude was able to draw a parallel to an episode to how empty Nora feels inside.

Pretty tough to see any humor in this show after the ending for the most recent episode though. I have to odd feeling things won't end well for these folks here. But I suppose that all makes sense since the main consistency with the show is seeing how the current circumstances have made these folks unravel more and more.
721335, Loved the first episode which was to be expected.
Posted by 13Rose, Wed Apr-19-17 05:02 PM
I caught the season finale just before the new ep aired and I'm glad I did. I forgot (or missed) some small things at the end of that episode. I'm very happy that we are getting this last season and the way they ended episode 1?!?!! SON!
721347, Holy shit that premiere. (spoilers)
Posted by wallysmith, Thu Apr-20-17 09:10 AM
I see what everyone was talking about now. I LOVED how they revisited the "morning after"... I'm really glad I rewatched the series up till this point. Like I mentioned in post #8, I forgot about the scene where the ATFC (formerly ATF) ruthlessly eliminates cult threats. My wife (who didn't see S1 at all) was shocked the government could resort to such a drastic tactic but it was a detail they had already established in this world.

There are so many random questions but I'm not sure yet if I want to just watch and enjoy the ride or join in the hivemind discussions on reddit.... not sure if I can resist the temptation hah
721351, RE: Reddit conspiracy theories
Posted by mashpg89, Thu Apr-20-17 11:53 AM
Think I'm gonna stay away this time around. I remember an interview with Lindoff about how last season's twist could have been easily spoiled after the first episode. I also read the Westworld Reddit where basically everything was predicted correctly in the first season and it made the viewing experience less enjoyable for me. I'll read some reviews and am up for discussion, but I think following theories (and there will be many) will cheapen what looks to be a stellar last season.
721394, Episode 2... SON
Posted by 13Rose, Sun Apr-23-17 09:08 PM
This was an all timer. I think I hate Nora now. Straight up hate her, but at the same time I feel sympathy. She is JUST as broken as the other people on this show. What an ep.

The intro had me singing along dumb loud in my apartment. Never thought I would hear that song on primetime television ever again.
721399, OMG I loved the opening...*slight spoilers*
Posted by StephBMore, Mon Apr-24-17 08:16 AM
I had forgotten that Mark Linn Baker had faked his departure. So hearing the opening theme I was like "oh is he coming back?" I am glad they included that element in the story and how everyone on the cast, but him, got "raptured".

I always didn't care for Nora. She always needed help and didn't want to ask for it or get it. And now it's manifesting itself in miserable ways. She was SO damn pressed to expose that lady about her husband and for what? because she's miserable, she wants everyone miserable. God I just hate her character.

Glad to see Kevin Sr back though.
721403, I saw the episode title before it episode aired
Posted by Numba_33, Mon Apr-24-17 08:55 AM
so while the theme song threw me for a little bit of a loop, it wasn't a complete shock to me. I vaguely remember the theme song being played with a bit last season, but of course I don't remember what was specifically done; I think it was the episode that mainly took place in prehistoric times, but I'm probably wrong since I forgot about 90% of what happened in the first two seasons.
721405, it was played in season 1 when Kevin visits his dad
Posted by StephBMore, Mon Apr-24-17 09:13 AM
at the asylum and the dad is watching episodes on tv. During that scene they talk about how the whole cast of the show were departed. i don't recall it in season 2 but probably the episode when they found out he didnt' depart
721407, Sorry if I wasn't being clear
Posted by Numba_33, Mon Apr-24-17 09:33 AM
but in the prior message, I was saying that there was a non-Perfect Strangers related switch in the opening theme song in the second season, but I don't remember what song was played or which episode it happened in, but I think it was the prehistoric one.
721408, ah ok. yeah i don't remember either then lol.
Posted by StephBMore, Mon Apr-24-17 09:47 AM
721432, my guy she used to have people shoot her in the chest.
Posted by IkeMoses, Mon Apr-24-17 05:42 PM
she always been broke.
721433, ^yup. hence her understanding reaction to Kevin suffocating himself
Posted by Mynoriti, Mon Apr-24-17 06:18 PM
she had a more chill reaction to that than Kev saying he wants to put a baby in her
721464, You know, I completely forgot about that
Posted by 13Rose, Tue Apr-25-17 05:49 PM
Gone from memory. You are right and exact. SMH
721404, The obscure musical choices are pitch perfect so far.
Posted by Numba_33, Mon Apr-24-17 08:57 AM
Having closed captions on helps since seeing the lyrics makes it more obvious how the musical choices tied into the scenes they are chosen for.
721414, Wu-Tang Band ain't nothin' to fuck with
Posted by Mynoriti, Mon Apr-24-17 11:10 AM
721418, Yo I was SOOOOOO hyped during the trampoline scene
Posted by 13Rose, Mon Apr-24-17 01:00 PM
Probably more than I ever liked that song in real life. Definitely one of my favorite Leftovers episodes ever.
721515, LOL
Posted by lfresh, Thu Apr-27-17 11:54 AM
i wasn't sure
but yeah I'm back for the ride
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.
721532, that ep was just an excuse to film Regina bouncing in slow mo
Posted by araQual, Fri Apr-28-17 02:59 PM
and i wholeheartedly approve lol.
but nah, what an episode.
reminds us that Nora is as equally fucked as Kevin.
the Perfect Strangers connection becoming so huge is both hilarious and fascinating.

V.
721602, Episode 3?
Posted by StephBMore, Tue May-02-17 09:02 AM
How did y'all feel about it. Definitely loved it. interesting to see Kevin Sr. and what he's up to now. I love how they are leading up to the end, so i hope it doesn't disappoint. That lady's story on her kids being departured (but not really) was depressing af tho. But honestly I had to think, what would I have done in that same situation. Would I have also assumed that my kids got departed?
721605, RE: Episode 3?
Posted by Boogiedwn, Tue May-02-17 10:04 AM
I liked it, I want to know why Matt was soaking wet the second time he called him.

The lead up to the final minutes was worth it.

and yes, this was sad as shit

>That lady's story on her kids being departured (but not really) was depressing af tho
721662, MAN, that story?!?!?!?
Posted by 13Rose, Thu May-04-17 03:25 PM
Heartbreaking. When you think about those babies out in the wilderness with nobody looking for them. SMH.

That said, it was another great ep. I like how Kevin Sr. is a straight up asshole. Your book is in the trash fam. My son is only supposed to get light because he's MY SON. Can't wait til Kevin Jr. gets down under.
721720, Episode 4
Posted by 13Rose, Sun May-07-17 08:42 PM
YO. I totally forgot my man Kevin was the Chief of Police. He is WILD for the night.
721721, WHAT AN EPISODE
Posted by 13Rose, Sun May-07-17 08:58 PM
Another home run. I just gave a round of applause. Man, they are just knocking them out of the park. WOW.

I've been waiting for this ep. Nora nora nora...

How SWEET it is!
721751, "go be with them"
Posted by StephBMore, Mon May-08-17 09:24 PM
when he said that shit!!! OMG. Nora didn't have ANY comeback. NONE.

I knew that wasn't Evie he saw...but i loved that whole storyline. This was a great episode. Quick question for anyone who remembers. In the last episode, when the man lit himself on fire, he was asked the same question right? what was his answer again?
721754, He said no
Posted by 13Rose, Mon May-08-17 09:41 PM
Smh what a show.
721764, ok that's what I thought.
Posted by StephBMore, Tue May-09-17 09:07 AM
i wonder what the "correct" answer is or rather, what in her answer rejected nora. (I know they were already hesitant)
721941, I wondered if there is no correct answer
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon May-15-17 11:06 AM
and this is some Guilty Remnant knockoff.

Just fucking with people to keep them "woke"

721946, So then what happened to the people who went through
Posted by StephBMore, Mon May-15-17 11:43 AM
what is your proposed theory on those ppl?
721962, my theory is they never go through
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon May-15-17 03:06 PM
they either end up in the desert putting themselves on fire or roaming around Australia trying to figure out why their answer wasn't the right answer.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Perfect Strangers actor bumps into Nora at some point. They had a clip where it looks like she is older and still in Australia.
721736, This is quietly one of the best shows on TV.
Posted by phenompyrus, Mon May-08-17 09:58 AM
721743, It really is *Spoilers*
Posted by 13Rose, Mon May-08-17 04:37 PM
My brother thinks dude that burned himself in the desert went through the machine. He asked Kevin Sr if he would kill a baby. Kevin said no and dude said "that's what I said" then went human torch.
721756, i think they say no to everybody
Posted by mashpg89, Mon May-08-17 11:52 PM
and the testimonials are paid actors. not sure why they would do that, just a feeling i have. either that or there's a right/wrong answer for every individual...

fantastic episode. this show is on another level and i hope it gets the respect and viewership it deserves when it's all said and done.
721766, Ehh I disagree...
Posted by StephBMore, Tue May-09-17 09:12 AM
I think people actually "disappeared" whether they are departed or not...but it doesn't seem the case that no one went through because why would they do this and tell people no? They didn't even take Nora's money so this doesn't seem like a hustle or a scam. The one doctor just didn't believe her intentions but Nora was lying anyway. she told Kevin one thing (looking into them for fraud) but she was so pissed when they didnt' take her.

What do you think would be the purpose of them saying no to everyone?
721808, could be an epic troll job
Posted by mashpg89, Wed May-10-17 11:43 AM
but the more I think about it you're probably right. Still doesn't make much sense though, I can't come up with a good theory. Best one I've heard online (and as I said I try to stay away from the theories) is that she might be pregnant, as there have been a few allusions to that throughout the third season.

But they don't like the answer no. They don't like the answer yes. They want an answer as they pressed Nora for it. Perhaps they want an "I don't care either way" answer but they should know that the people they're targeting are people dealing with grief and not nihilists like the GR.

I'm stumped. Hope we get an answer.
721810, RE: Ehh I disagree...
Posted by Numba_33, Wed May-10-17 12:40 PM
> she told Kevin one
>thing (looking into them for fraud) but she was so pissed when
>they didnt' take her.

It's also entirely possible she was angry simply because she was rejected out of complete and utter vanity and not because she wanted to get 'taken' away. Given this show, it's tough to know each person's motivation since I don't know the character completely know themselves.
721963, someone said the baby at the bus stop was the real test
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon May-15-17 03:15 PM
and the fact that she didn't reject the baby showed she isn't really ready to go to the other side.

someone else also had a theory that the way she said yes was insensitive. "what's one more baby"

I have to rewatch that episode. The A-Ha song works so well with that episode. The music video is about crossing planes and one of the reviews said a photo in the hotel morphed behind Nora right before it went off.

I love this show.
722012, Damn
Posted by 13Rose, Wed May-17-17 10:16 AM
I gotta watch this again.
721811, Part of the problem with the appeal for this show
Posted by Numba_33, Wed May-10-17 12:51 PM
>fantastic episode. this show is on another level and i hope it
>gets the respect and viewership it deserves when it's all said
>and done.

in my opinion is that on paper, the show in terms of the general idea of people disappearing doesn't sound all that interesting on it's own. It'll take folks actually watching the show almost on blind faith before they get an idea of how stellar it is. Then there's also the fact the main protagonist may or may not be completely out of his mind if I'm remembering the first season correctly that may turn some folks off the show as well.

I'm just happy the show is ending on its own accord so the show runners can successfully complete the story they want to tell.
721767, ask your brother why he thinks that...
Posted by StephBMore, Tue May-09-17 09:13 AM
if the man went through why would he be back here? no one returns right?
721942, what makes you think anyone has that power to make people "disappear?"
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon May-15-17 11:12 AM
that doesn't make any sense to me at all.

I think it's people trolling those who are out here trying to expose fakes.

just getting them to realize they actually still care.
722501, In light of last night's episode
Posted by Numba_33, Mon Jun-05-17 08:33 AM
do folks think that guy in the dessert was someone that crossed over, came back, and couldn't handle being out of place in 'both' lands?
722510, doesn't make sense...
Posted by StephBMore, Mon Jun-05-17 09:35 AM
if you believe Nora's story, then the man made the machine after she got there...so how would that man have came back.

or you think Nora is lying, and the man went and came back...but that seems odd...

OR it was as he told it, he answered the question wrong and as said several times in the series, most ppl wanted death. he couldn't handle being stuck here so he decided to die.
721887, Can we just give it up for Justin Theroux one time?
Posted by Firecracker, Fri May-12-17 01:53 PM

That is all

I mean, damn

721927, Episode Five.
Posted by Numba_33, Mon May-15-17 08:27 AM
Any thoughts from you folks? Pretty wild episode. Only on this show is a nuclear crisis played to the background as a storyline. Pretty eerie given today's political climate, which says a lot of about current times, but that's for another post.

Do you folks think that's it in terms of Matt being involved with the hoopla of the seventh anniversary collective meltdown everyone else is going through? It appeared as if dude finally woke up to see just how consumed he made himself become. Pretty good research on the show runner's part to work that Cecil the Lion storyline into the show since I'm guessing that a real thing based on those songs used.

On another note, I finished the book this weekend and the show runners did a great job fleshing out the characters based on what was provided from the book. I'll have to do research on my own time and rewatch the first and second seasons to see how different the show is from the book and how involved Perotta is or was with the show.
721943, crazy episode..
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon May-15-17 11:16 AM
I knew it was going to be some orgy shit as soon as they said a group bought the boat.

The God convo was great too. I definitely feel like a lot of people say "God told me to do it" is a bullshit excuse for people to do some shit they want to do.

Also knew Matt was going to tell dude about Evie but I didn't expect him to be so calm about it.

I'm guessing this show is really going to be about finding peace.

721947, Frasier the lion was a real lion, he's not the same one as Cecil
Posted by StephBMore, Mon May-15-17 11:50 AM
Remember they referenced the 1970s when this happened, and it's a true account. More here:

http://time.com/3990606/frasier-the-lion/

One thing I wish is that they had a track listing of the songs they use during the shows.

Definitely interesting for Matt to "see" the light during this episode. But I don't really think that's the end of his journey. He was so fixated on the God person because he is pissed on that he was sick again and he obviously is trying to prove his worthiness to "God." The whole sodom and gomorroh aspect was certainly interesting.

But this was an amazing episode.

721949, Cecil was a total mistake on my part.
Posted by Numba_33, Mon May-15-17 12:24 PM
I have no idea where that name came from when I typed it initially. Thank you for the correction.
721951, it's all good, it didn't even register to me
Posted by StephBMore, Mon May-15-17 12:44 PM
that you meant *that* Cecil because I swore there was another similar story about a lion who fathered mad cubs in the 90s that went around lol.
722026, Here you go (link to songs used)...
Posted by Pete Burns, Thu May-18-17 05:09 AM
>One thing I wish is that they had a track listing of the songs
>they use during the shows.

https://www.tunefind.com/show/the-leftovers
722029, awesome! Thank you!
Posted by StephBMore, Thu May-18-17 10:39 AM
721990, Another great one
Posted by 13Rose, Tue May-16-17 11:29 AM
Matt is a REAL piece of work but I root for him man. I think it's interesting that Matt thinks he has (or had) things figured out yet he's a man of God. How arrogant of you to think you've figured out the plan of a being you worship. I love the disciples angle. Man I don't want this show to end but I'm enjoying the ride either way. Wish we got this with Lost.
722116, Episode Six.
Posted by Numba_33, Mon May-22-17 08:19 AM
Was I the only one that busted out laughing at the usage of that Gravediggaz song? The music supervisor or supervisors musical knowledge is pretty insane; I'm assuming of course the folks running that role aren't just going through web searches for possibly related songs for the various plot points. That laughter ended pretty quickly though. What a somber episode. Glad I read the book to get the significance for that lighter since I barely remember a thing from the past episodes. Did the show actually show Laurie fishing out the lighter after she threw it away? Minor detail of course, so I guess that doesn't matter.

Out of curiosity, do any folks here think that last action of the episode was a misdirection and things didn't go down as presumed?
722119, RE: Episode Six.
Posted by Boogiedwn, Mon May-22-17 10:01 AM
>Did the show actually show Laurie fishing out the lighter after she threw it away?

Yep

I think she did it, but if she did that was selfish as hell especially after just talking to her kids.
722120, They don't show her fishing it out in the show.
Posted by 13Rose, Mon May-22-17 10:05 AM
I'm happy they had Jill call. I kept thinking the whole time, YOU HAVE A SON AND DAUGHTER!!! Don't just go out like that. I guess she made her peace. This ep was very well done. I also laughed when the song came on. Clapped too.

I don't know about the misdirection. When you think about it all of the messages people are sending via Kevin are super regular things. No meaning of life stuff. I don't think the world is going to flood. They just have to get their own individual lives in order. Figure out what is important to them.

Also with that flash-forward of Nora saying Kevin means nothing to her let's me know that humanity survives the storm. The question is can they survive their own choices.
722140, Actually, they do.
Posted by wallysmith, Mon May-22-17 02:21 PM
There was a brief flashback to a scene in S1 in this episode where Laurie is desperately fishing for it in the grate. I think it happens as one of the end scenes mid-S1.

And yes, I agree, that last scene was so incredibly haunting. It's fantastic how they firmly established that Laurie reconciled with both Jill and Tom because that wasn't really clear in the first episode. Laurie's journey has quietly been one of the most compelling because she wasn't featured much in season 2.

722132, I really dislike Nora.
Posted by StephBMore, Mon May-22-17 01:33 PM
With a passion and the fact that we already *know* she doesn't die is a killer. because out of everyone on the show, I want her to be gone. Like it's no coincidence that she suggested to a certified scuba instructor how to kill herself without it looking like a suicide. She's a crazy loon stalker.

However, it was good to see more of how Laurie broke and why she joined the GR. that whole scene with her and her patient was well done.
722145, Nora really has been a huge b*tch this season.
Posted by wallysmith, Mon May-22-17 02:39 PM
She's always been a hardass but it's also (easily) arguable that she's suffered by far the most of any character in the series. She has not been sympathetic at all but I do hope they redeem her somehow. Her scenes with Laurie were great because they never really interacted much in the first two seasons.

That said, YES, everything about Laurie's past was great. That scene with Kevin encapsulates everything I love about this show: the humanity, continuity and payoff were all deserved and rightfully earned. Kevin never really did understand why she initially joined the GR and now we see why.
722148, I wanted to be sympathetic with Nora
Posted by StephBMore, Mon May-22-17 03:32 PM
but she really doesn't have any redeeming qualities and I get that she's been hurt, and so has other but I have yet to see one instance where Nora was sympathetic or even empathetic to anyone outside of herself. Even when Kevin was going through his issues, she couldn't handle it or deal with it and wanted to run away. We havent' even seen flashbacks of her life prior so that we can feel something for her.

722142, Honestly, I don't think there was any misdirection.
Posted by wallysmith, Mon May-22-17 02:25 PM
I think it's up to the viewer if they want to believe that Laurie killed herself or not, but I think (hope) we'll get a definitive answer in the finale. Lindelof was adamant that there would be no loose ends on questions posed during the season, and this was a BIG loose end.

722149, and let me say one more thing!!!
Posted by StephBMore, Mon May-22-17 03:34 PM
when the lady was talking about Kevin going to the other side and seeing her kids...she mentioned that her kids didn't have shoes on and their shoes weren't in the house, and she wanted to know what did they do with their shoes.

I found that so sad...because in retrospect, if they disappeared from the house, wouldn't their shoes still be at the house (b/c why would they have shoes on inside of the house?). That could just be me...but I found it so interesting that she focused on that...because that's probably what's been playing in her mind.
722211, I think your lighter question metaphorically answers your spoiler question
Posted by Pinko_Panther, Wed May-24-17 12:44 AM
****SPOILER BELOW************

This will be twice that her daughter's love guides
her to fish something out of the water. She tried
to throw herself in down the drain in scuba gear. I
think she's coming back
722327, The calmness
Posted by Numba_33, Tue May-30-17 09:07 AM
at the end of that scene totally threw me off since I was expecting the scuba diver to react frantically to Laurie doing something abnormal. I guess it would take Laurie not coming up from that diving session for a much longer time for the instructor to react to her not coming back up now that I think about it.

Quite the interesting send off.
722126, fuuuuuucccckkk I assumed there were 10 eps this season
Posted by benny, Mon May-22-17 11:47 AM
I was a bit shook when the screen flashed "2 episodes left" at the end. Been enjoying this season (and the show) a lot, not sure how they'll close it up but I'm in regardless
722139, Beautiful season, and that was the best episode thus far.
Posted by wallysmith, Mon May-22-17 02:16 PM
I love how they've always been careful to highlight the idiosyncrasies of both the devoutly religious (Matt Jamison) and the fervently rational (Laurie Garvey).

I think at the end of this whole thing, Season 2 will still be my personal favorite but this season has been by far the most enjoyable to watch. The off-beat humor is fucking on point from episode to episode and really accentuates the absurdity of the situation.

*minor preview spoilers for next week*

Are we getting another INTERNATIONAL ASSASSIN episode? Maybe not the entire thing, but a short run for Kevin in The Hotel?
722212, This is the bleakest season yet
Posted by IkeMoses, Wed May-24-17 01:38 AM
It's going out strong, but the first two seasons didn't depress me this much.
722239, I'm surprised you all hate Nora so much
Posted by amplifya7, Thu May-25-17 11:08 AM
She's my favorite character, I love pretty much every scene she's in. How can anyone say she's not sympathetic at all with her whole family disappearing, GR putting replicas of them in her house, her having an opportunity to start raising a child with the cult baby and losing that too, her parents dying in a fire, her brother is a religious lunatic...seems pretty understandable for her to be stubborn and constantly have a chip on her shoulder.
722240, I don't understand the hate either
Posted by IkeMoses, Thu May-25-17 12:46 PM
It's been painful watching her retreat after it looked like she finally found some kind of peace, but how could anyone blame her?
722320, For me, the problem with Nora the person...
Posted by wallysmith, Tue May-30-17 12:20 AM
has been her unrelenting quest to bring others down to her level of pain. She's leveraged the admittedly insane amount of tragedy in her life not really as a positive force and it's made her difficult to relate to.

That said, I think Nora the character is absolutely brilliantly written. Kevin's been the focus of the show but Carrie Coon's portrayal of this person undergoing unspeakable tragedy is quietly the highlight of the series.

Her journey has been difficult to watch, but certainly not from a lack of artistic merit.
722249, the significance of David Burton (swipe)
Posted by araQual, Fri May-26-17 02:04 AM
probs not as significant going into the final 2 eps, but i completely missed this dude's recurring character status on the show.

http://heavy.com/entertainment/2017/05/the-leftovers-who-is-david-burton-barton-list-every-appearance-real-fake-s03e05-explanation-photos.

‘The Leftovers’: Who Is David Burton? (List of Every Appearance)

A big part of tonight’s episode of The Leftovers, Season 3 Episode 5, was the appearance of David Burton, a man who has been mentioned frequently in The Leftovers but never focused on until now. Here’s his background and every time he was mentioned in previous episodes, including an in-depth look at what happened tonight. This article has spoilers for Season 3 Episode 5.

This isn’t the first time we’ve seen David Burton. In fact, he played a huge role in Kevin Garvey Jr.’s “International Assassin” episode last season.

David Burton was the mystery man in Kevin’s vision who pulled Kevin out of the car when he was stopped on the bridge with child-Patti. He put a noose around Kevin’s neck and dragged him down the bridge, asking him what he was doing with the girl. Kevin told him he was taking her to the well to throw her in it. David asked her if the girl’s resisting and Kevin said no. David said it was because the girl wanted to be thrown in because it was just like a woman, thinking she could improve him.

“I don’t understand.”

“That’s bloody obvious,” David said.

Then David told him he had a choice: “cross or jump.” He told Kevin that if he killed child-Patti, he’d never be the same. “None of this is real,” Kevin said in response. But the man said, “Friend, this is more real than it’s ever been” and then whispered something in Kevin’s ear that the viewers couldn’t hear but it seemed to really impact Kevin.

David Burton made another appearance in Season 2 Episode 10, when Kevin is shot by John and seemingly dies again. Once again, he wakes up in a tub and climbs out, this time wearing a Mapleton uniform. At a bar, David is there again and tells him he can’t return to his world until he sings karaoke.

“You love your family, it’s not your time, still have so much to live for,” David said. “Come on, be original mate, why should you go back and the rest of us…”

“Because I deserve to… Now tell me how.”

“If you want to get out of here, all you have to do is sing… The trial, it’s beneath you, it’s not elegant enough, it’s too easy. You pushed a little girl into a well, you don’t want to sing?”

So Kevin sings and returns to Earth, alive.

In addition to his two appearances, Burton was mentioned in other episodes. In Season 2 Episode 1, Michael received a letter from the man on the pillar in Miracle. It was supposed to be sent to David Burton in Sydney, Australia.

In Season 2 Episode 3, we learn more about Burton from a news broadcast on TV. The broadcaster talks about a resurrection claim coming out of Australia, where a man that witnesses said was dead came out of a cave in Wanneroo, just outside of Perth, now alive. Witnesses said he “walked out covered in mozzie bites, saying he’d just been in a hotel.”

So this alludes to the idea that Burton also visited a hotel on the other side when he died, just like Kevin. Later in the same episode, a publisher talking to Laurie said that the man believed he couldn’t die.

Then tonight, we learn a few more specifics about Burton’s accident. He died in a rock climbing accident, his friend took him to a cave, and when his friend came back, David was alive and just fine. (This does, however, leave the possibility open that David and his friends made the whole thing up, since they may have been the only witnesses to his death.

This week, we learned more about David Burton. He was handing out cards that said “I Am God.” Matt read the back of the card, which said in part:

"I am the one true God. I go by many names but Mr. Burton is fine. I will not take a photo with you. There was no Big Bang, just nothing then light. Yes I created you. No I didn’t create unicorns. Eve was not made from Adam’s rib, it was his tibia. I asked Abraham to kill Isaac just to see if he’d do it. Yes evolution is real but it doesn’t work how you think it does. I won the bronze medal for decathlon and the one you can’t remember is the hammer throw. No I had nothing to do with the crusades nor any type of genocide/Holocaust.”

Burton was a complicated man. He admitted to Matt that he threw the man overboard. But he would not tell the authorities “because I’m the authority.” He also said he only won the bronze in the decathlon because that was “before.” He claimed Jesus wasn’t his son and never came back to life, but Jesus’ identical twin brother pretended to be him. He also claimed to have healed Matt just by snapping his finger. But he did claim responsibility for the departure, saying he did it “because I could.”

At the end, David was killed by Frasier the Lion’s descendant.

If we are to think of Matt as a “disciple” of Kevin, similar to the disciples of Christ, then Matt may have played a role in exposing and killing an “anti-Christ” type character who claimed to be God but was not. It’s possible that Burton never resurrected at all, but the whole thing was a story made up by his friend to make him famous. Only his friend actually saw him die, there was no real evidence of it. He could be an “anti-Kevin” so to speak.

Or perhaps he was real, to an extent. Maybe he had the same abilities as Kevin and knew about as much as Kevin did about the whole thing, he just used his fame to his advantage and had less-than-honorable motives.

We might be tempted to believe the latter is the case, since he did appear in the afterlife to Kevin and sure seemed to know a lot about what was going on. He played the role of a guide. Yet, not everyone who appeared in Kevin’s hotel visions was actually a real person. So David’s appearance doesn’t necessarily mean that the entity Kevin spoke to in his visions was actually David Burton.

Then there’s another theory: that David is more of a Satan-like creature. Matt seems to be being tested for his faith over and over. Like Job, he lost his child and his wife turned against him. Like Job, he’s now sick. So it’s possible that David Burton is a Satan-like character sent to test Matt. Matt even asks: “Why?” (just like Job did.)
---

V.
722301, This better not turn into LOST
Posted by Case_One, Mon May-29-17 10:55 AM

"The unexamined life is not worth living." - Plato
722305, In what sense?
Posted by blinded by the lights, Mon May-29-17 01:08 PM
If you're expecting an answer to why the departure happened you haven't really been paying attention. No chance they're answering that.
722319, You haven't been paying attention. n/m
Posted by wallysmith, Tue May-30-17 12:08 AM
722328, I understand the alternate world things, coping whit loss, identify, family,
Posted by Case_One, Tue May-30-17 09:10 AM
community, etc.

Y'all always got be SNARKY about something, thinking you're the only folks that understand something and it someone has a questions, instead of talking you have slick crap to say.

722330, i think he's saying that unlike Lost,
Posted by StephBMore, Tue May-30-17 09:23 AM
everything in this series has been explained with the exception of the departure. The creators & writers have already said there will be full closure, that everything will be explained. no room for open endings. If you compare this story to Lost, you can see that they are explaining everything this season unlike Lost which just hinted at what could be true.

Are you saying that you hope that the end isn't "everyone is dead"?
722333, Now that is interesting.
Posted by Numba_33, Tue May-30-17 09:38 AM
>The creators & writers have
>already said there will be full closure, that everything will
>be explained. no room for open endings.

I didn't read anything about the season through the press, so this is news to me. Out of curiosity, did Tom Perrotta have any say in how the show was wrapped up?

I almost want the reasoning for The Departure to stay unresolved since that'll take away some of the allure and mysticism that surrounds the show, but I guess I shouldn't complain too much since the show runners have delivered a ton so far.
722335, True.. I wish it didn't have to end but the writers have packed a
Posted by Case_One, Tue May-30-17 10:13 AM
ton in this season and are pushing to close it out. But they could one more season that develops more of the spiritual side of things and I'd be happy with an ending after that.

722336, RE: True.. I wish it didn't have to end but the writers have packed a
Posted by Numba_33, Tue May-30-17 10:27 AM
>ton in this season and are pushing to close it out. But they
>could one more season that develops more of the spiritual side
>of things and I'd be happy with an ending after that.

I don't think I was too clear in the message you're responding to, because what you just typed wasn't what I was saying. To be clear, I am fine with the show ending, but I would rather the rationale for The Departure to be left unresolved since that is consistent with the whole point of the show; the people left behind and as result the audience being kept off balance because there is no rhyme or reasoning to what happened.

What I do want from this finale is some resolution in terms of the on screen characters since that much is fair, but I also would prefer to keep somethings (in my eye, the reasoning for The Departure) left open and unresolved and left for interpretation. Having some room for subjectivity makes things more entertaining for me.
722337, I haven't read anything on that...
Posted by StephBMore, Tue May-30-17 10:30 AM
I know he consults but I'm pretty sure if they do have an explanation for the departure, he would have some say so about it since it was his book. however, lack of explanation for the departure doesn't mean the story isn't fully answered in my opinion. i would like to know but at the same time...last night's episode made a lot of things clear and I'm happy with the direction of the show.
722331, StephBMore is spot on...
Posted by wallysmith, Tue May-30-17 09:36 AM
You weren't talking about themes on the show, you were referring to LOST's reputation for not answering questions.

I said you weren't paying attention because, for one, the show has been very consistent from the beginning in answering questions they pose during the season.

On top of that, I've posted a number of times myself about how Lindelof has been adamant about cleaning up all the loose ends. If you read my posts, you'd have seen his quotes about avoiding a LOST situation.

722334, Cool. I just don't want it to get weird at the end..
Posted by Case_One, Tue May-30-17 10:11 AM
>You weren't talking about themes on the show, you were
>referring to LOST's reputation for not answering questions.
>
>I said you weren't paying attention because, for one, the show
>has been very consistent from the beginning in answering
>questions they pose during the season.
>
>On top of that, I've posted a number of times myself about how
>Lindelof has been adamant about cleaning up all the loose
>ends. If you read my posts, you'd have seen his quotes about
>avoiding a LOST situation.
>
>

Sorry, but I didn't read those. I just want a good clean ending with real closure.

722316, Ok so episode 7 was really good, but
Posted by Firecracker, Mon May-29-17 06:03 PM

I am confusion (c)

What happened exactly?

I've been onboard all the way up until this episode, it got a little too tangled for me tbh. Kevin agreed to drown so he could find the lady's kids, Evie + get the song for his dad so his dad could stop the rain.

And he entered this realm where he's an assassin and has an identical twin who's the president of the USA, and he switches between their bodies by staring into blank surfaces?

#ok

And Patti?

And after he killed himself he came back to our world, where doomsday now has passed - and everybody's feeling LOST? hehe

I dunno, dug the ep but I don't think I fully got what went down

722321, This is definitely going to be a long week's wait.
Posted by wallysmith, Tue May-30-17 12:38 AM
My thoughts...

The reflective surfaces represent Kevin's duality: the difference between saying what he thinks he wants and what he *actually* wants (why everyone is so skeptical when he says he just wants to "go home"). The different colored clothes and the facial hair represent this too.

He never really knew where "home" was, and when faced with the actual reality of Home (with Nora) he panics. He's never fully opened up with her, never let himself be fully vulnerable. But in this place, he literally opened up his own heart once he realized he fucked up with Nora.

I basically consider the rest of the whole President stuff as the writers having one last fun hurrah with the series, haha (timely as shit too... nuclear war with Russia? Curious what the writing timetable was... before or after the election?)

I wonder if we'll ever get more of an "answer" with Grace's kids and their shoes. That little arc feels somehow missing something... but maybe that's the point.

LOVED the scene with Evie. She was visibly affected when given her father's message to her... and this confirms that, sad as it is, Evie died with regret. She understood the repercussions of the drone strike and she didn't meet it with steely resolve but rather with tears in her eyes.

That whole thing with Meg and David Burton/God though... yeah, I have no idea with that one. Your guess is as good as mine!

And Christopher Sunday... too bad we didn't get more scenes with him but he was hilariously profound in what we did get, haha.

(Sidenote: After typing all this out, I'm suddenly struck with the notion that I think Laurie dies. I know that was the implication from last episode, but I was hoping they left it open ended so she could return in the finale. This really bums me out for some reason).
722324, Agreed with all this and RE: Laurie... *SPOILERS*
Posted by StephBMore, Tue May-30-17 08:23 AM
I had hoped that she was his vice president. It would have been great to see that BUT since we didn't, I realized that the only people who are in this alternative place are people he KNOWS are dead...(unless Laurie isn't dead). She was so significant to him, it sucks that she was seen in that world trying to help him.

But this was all about duality and that's why he chose Patti because he did have respect and admiration for what her convictions to her beliefs. This was a well written episode. Some ppl may have to watch it twice.
722367, I really wanted Laurie to be the VP as well
Posted by 13Rose, Wed May-31-17 09:13 AM
Didn't see Meg coming at all. That said, I think she might be pregnant with all of the tight shots when she was on the scene.
722325, Not blank surfaces, reflective ones...
Posted by StephBMore, Tue May-30-17 08:24 AM
Think MJ's "man in the mirror" when he switched between the people by looking at himself, it's speaking to his duality, who he is and who he wants to be.
722346, wasn't really feeling the resolution of Kevin's problems
Posted by mashpg89, Tue May-30-17 12:36 PM
The answer being that the home he was always looking for was Nora all along and he just needs to accept and appreciate it to find peace. Nora, and their relationship together, always seemed like a band aid to me. Two people who didn't want to live any longer but too chickenshit, as Patti said, to end it. They tried finding happiness together and it wasn't enough. Nora is more to blame for that imo, Kevin may not recognize it but she wants to go and doesn't care about him enough to stay. So for him to come to the realization that she is the answer to his problems seems like he's just putting a new band aid over the old one. I think it would have been better if he came to the realization that he has in past seasons, that his family needs him and he should be content watching his kids grow. Something he's completely ignored for almost the whole season. Guess he prefers the fantasy of his relationship with Nora, which seems impossible.

So I don't know, after nearly three seasons of his existential angst and wanting to escape the answer being he loves Nora felt off to me. I was hoping for something more when they sat down at the table, them being the most powerful people in the world and Kevin seemingly being immortal. We'll see what happens in the finale.

Also interesting implications on whether or not this afterlife is all in his head. As Patti said, he conjured her up when asked who his secretary of defense was, but how did he know what the Australian Prime Minister looked like? Gonna need to rewatch this one.
722359, you bring up a good point...
Posted by StephBMore, Tue May-30-17 06:29 PM
because for a moment i was thinking that he was only seeing ppl he knew that had died...but with you saying that, its more supports that he's in another dimension (the other side).
722372, I think he's definitely in the other side
Posted by 13Rose, Wed May-31-17 11:02 AM
It can't be explained but he is definitely dying and coming back. I also don't buy Nora being the answer to Kevin's issues. That said, this world they are living in is all kinds of messed up. Maybe the GR had a point that trying to get back to normal just doesn't make sense. I don't agree with their methods but they had a point.
722326, ALSO can I talk about his dad
Posted by StephBMore, Tue May-30-17 08:26 AM
being on the roof at the end of the episode and how it comes full circle to the "cult" we see in the first episode and how they were waiting for something to save them. I thought that was beautifully done with him saying "i don't think i'm ready to come down yet" because that is basically what the lady was going through. She wasn't ready to let go of her faith yet.
722332, Yup, mentioned that to my wife too.
Posted by wallysmith, Tue May-30-17 09:37 AM
The respect for continuity in this series has been staggeringly impressive.
722403, what a ludicrous and surreal trip.
Posted by araQual, Thu Jun-01-17 02:58 AM
not just the episode, but recognising all different parts of Melbourne city. even the insignificant alleyway Kevin goes down to access the bunker looks familiar (i've more than likely pissed down there at least once).

i'm not 100% sold on his love for Nora. she ultimately seems to be fixated on what she's fixated on. it's good Kev can figure his shit out with a cathartic self-mutilation, but Nora? i'm not so anti-her as most fans are, but while they have an honest relationship, it's also kinda toxic. something about that emotional payoff feels off.
cool seeing all the dead characters. it was very AoS/Framework stuff (which, u could argue, that's what that other realm is).

only one more week?! did they ever explain why they didnt do the full 10 eps this season?

V.
722491, I knew that was the explanation for the Departure.
Posted by Teknontheou, Sun Jun-04-17 09:29 PM
722495, But was she telling the truth?
Posted by IkeMoses, Mon Jun-05-17 03:36 AM
722511, i figured it too...
Posted by StephBMore, Mon Jun-05-17 09:36 AM
i thought halfway through, suppose the departured didn't disappear but everyone else did...and that's why they are so sad and lost because they are the ones who left.
722492, One of the most satisfying series finales I've seen.
Posted by bwood, Sun Jun-04-17 09:54 PM
I'm really moved by it and can't believe that they stuck the landing.

This show went from being one of the most dour and depressing I've ever seen, to one of the most spiritual and uplifting I've ever seen.

Literally haven't been this satisfied with a series finale in a minute.
722493, i really enojyed it
Posted by x49, Sun Jun-04-17 10:43 PM
i think either nora died in the machine or she lying

and if she lying why did laurie not commit suicide?
722496, She didn't die
Posted by IkeMoses, Mon Jun-05-17 03:38 AM
but I can't decide if she's lying or not. And I don't ever want to decide.
722512, i don't understand how you are correlating nora and laurie's experience
Posted by StephBMore, Mon Jun-05-17 09:41 AM
what does Nora lying have to do with Laurie's experience.

Its' already explained (implied) that Laurie didn't commit suicide because her kids saved her...she did have something to live for. She was so stressed over a kid she lost she didn't think about the kids she had.

Nora didn't die. if she did, Kevin wouldn't be there and everything that happened would be Nora's after life.

Either Nora said stop and is lying. Or Nora did go through and came back, just as she said.
722578, I'm really, really glad Laurie didn't die.
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Jun-07-17 10:03 AM
That scene would be extremely difficult to (re)watch if you knew that was her ending.

As a hyper-rational person I really appreciate how Laurie was portrayed throughout the series.
722494, Episode for episode, my favorite show ever.
Posted by IkeMoses, Mon Jun-05-17 03:35 AM
The finale was perfect.
722572, That it was, everything was really earned.
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Jun-07-17 09:13 AM
It's sad that the show is over, but I'm glad they got to end things the way they wanted to. Major kudos to HBO for giving them a third season.
722573, In this regard
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Jun-07-17 09:18 AM
>Major kudos to HBO for giving
>them a third season.

I wonder if it was cheaper or more expensive for HBO to have the majority of the show shot in Australia. I'm assuming you're giving props to HBO there since the show has low ratings.
722579, Yup. Second season had abysmal ratings.
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Jun-07-17 10:05 AM
They threw it out there in a bad season (fall instead of S1's summer) and it never really caught on. I feel the super outspoken fans on social media actually helped give the third season life, because the show honestly could have ended on that second season finale.

And I think Australia was super expensive, probably leading to 8 instead of 10 episodes. I read somewhere that they had largely a whole new crew too, they didn't bring over the production crew from the first two seasons.
722500, interesting ending. I was kinda disappointed.. a few thoughts
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Jun-05-17 08:19 AM
who's baby was Lorrie holding and whats up with her being alive?

Are there really pay phones on dirt roads in Australia? Seemed convenient. I felt like this was Nora's alternate reality.

Is there some type of symbolism with Australia? Why is this their final destination? I'm curious if it's a metaphor? The whole "down under/toilets flush in reverse.. alternate reality"

Nora's description of the other side was dope as hell. I never gave much thought how the others experienced the departure.

I still think she is lying. My wife said she thinks she heard her say "STOP" but I thought she was just catching her last breath.

oh.. and one other thought. If dude built a machine on the other side why wouldn't more come back?

Disappointed because it felt like the Matrix ending where they yapped for 30 minutes to wrap it up.

8.5/10
722513, Y'all really aren't paying attention lol.
Posted by StephBMore, Mon Jun-05-17 09:45 AM
1. She didn't commit suicide. She just did the dive and came back up apparently. The baby she is holding is her daughter's child. Remember Kevin said he's a grandfather now. he explained this all to Nora.

2. Yes in the bush of Australia there are pay phones on the side of the road due to the fact that there is less traffic so if someone is stranded they can call for help.

3. IDK about alternate reality. I think they just chose it because they did.

4. No one else probably thought to ask the man to build the machine and come back. Remember she said she asked him to build it and he did. She was the only one...how else would anyone else know about the machine? no one thought of it but her. She could be lying or not, but its' real convenient that we see the scientists tell her that he went through and she built her lie around that. Do I think she's lying? Possibly but if she was willing to give him that lie, she should have been able to accept his about not knowing her.

722574, You're spot on.
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Jun-07-17 09:26 AM
To add to it...

2. We also saw Kevin Sr. use probably the same telephone booth to call Matt Jamison

3. Australia is a unique spiritual place. I've linked this before, but it's really a great read. Religious scholar Reza Aslan was a major consultant on the Leftovers and he had this to say about Australia (the interview is from after the second season premiere):

http://www.vulture.com/2015/10/leftovers-questions-reza-aslan.html

Kevin Sr. says he’s cured and moving to Australia. That’s the second reference to the country; the first was the guy in the tower sending a letter there.

Australia is almost universally understood as the seat of ancient spiritual power, particularly the sort of inland parts, because it’s such a unique landmass with a unique ecosystem. Some of the oldest tribal shamanistic traditions in the world still exist there in vibrant form among indigenous peoples. You see in pop culture and in books the concept of the walkabout, which has this mystic sense to it. People who don’t even know what a walkabout represents use the term when they’re talking about a spiritual journey. In fact, now that I think about it, John Locke of Lost was in Australia on a walkabout before the plane crash!

722503, This is nitpicking I suppose
Posted by Numba_33, Mon Jun-05-17 08:38 AM
and I'm not saying last night's episode was bad by any stretch, but I'm mainly curious how much folks outside of the main characters have moved on from the Sudden Departure. Just curious what kind of world Kevin and Nora live in; if they are reminded about the Sudden Departure because others talk about it or if they are the sole one that choose to hold onto that memory.

For the book readers, that dance last night is very interesting compared to the dance that took place in the actual book.

I'm also curious what Tom Perrotta felt about the explanation for the Sudden Departure. A world where only 2% of the folks inhabit the entire earth almost sounds like a reality for folks that would survive a zombie apocalypse or A Last Man on Earth type scenario; it would be interesting to see how that kind of world would function.
722523, RE: This is nitpicking I suppose
Posted by IkeMoses, Mon Jun-05-17 12:46 PM
>I'm also curious what Tom Perrotta felt about the explanation
>for the Sudden Departure. A world where only 2% of the folks
>inhabit the entire earth almost sounds like a reality for
>folks that would survive a zombie apocalypse or A Last Man on
>Earth type scenario; it would be interesting to see how that
>kind of world would function.

Perotta cowrote the teleplay, so I'm sure he's fine with it. Nora's explanation of the other side of the Sudden Departure should be treated as just another of the many explanations of the Sudden Departure that we'll never know are true or not. There's a reason why the show didn't show Nora on the otherside, and it's probably not just because they didn't have the budget. We're not supposed to know if whaf she's saying is true.
722528, RE: This is nitpicking I suppose
Posted by 13Rose, Mon Jun-05-17 04:29 PM

>There's a reason why the show didn't show Nora on the
>otherside, and it's probably not just because they didn't have
>the budget. We're not supposed to know if whaf she's saying is
>true.

Yup.
722575, And that's why the finale was so appropriate.
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Jun-07-17 09:30 AM
>We're not supposed to know if whaf she's saying is
>true.

Because it honestly doesn't matter. This is a show that has always respected the viewer's beliefs, whether they're Catholic or Muslim or agnostic or atheist. The viewer interprets it how they want to interpret it, and they're neither insulted nor exalted for doing so.

It's a really fine line to balance as spirituality is such a deeply personal thing and it's incredible that this show even exists.
722507, It's too late to edit my prior response
Posted by Numba_33, Mon Jun-05-17 09:19 AM
but the one thing I wanted some explanation on was Kevin's tattoos since the character in the book didn't have them and I have to think there's some reason for the character to have such an elaborate back tattoo; I think he had other tattoos on his arms and wrist as well. Or am I forgetting an old episode where the tattoos were explained? I'm going to have to sit down and binge this show in the upcoming weekends.
722576, I always figured they were his...
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Jun-07-17 09:33 AM
... and they didn't want to bother with concealing them. Just googled it now and apparently that's the case, lol:

http://www.vulture.com/2014/08/justin-theroux-leftovers-chat.html

So, back to The Leftovers. Are those your tattoos on your back?
Those are my tattoos, correct.

Wow, you’ve really tatted up.

I have. I’ve been concealing them for years. But it was really more a question of, Hey, you’re doing a TV show — do you really want to get to the makeup chair four hours before everybody else at five in the morning and go to the trouble of removing them all with makeup? Let’s just say that this guy has some tattoos and leave it at that. Which actually worked out, because the kid playing my son is has tattoos, too, so thematically, it kind of works.
722508, I'm very happy with the ending.
Posted by 13Rose, Mon Jun-05-17 09:27 AM
I'm also in the camp of not being sure if Nora is telling the truth in regards to her trip to the other side, and that's ok. I kinda like that she's still her same stick to her guns self. I also liked that the sister called her out on her bullshit. She stands so high and mighty calling people liars when she lies herself. Maybe that's a clue to her other side story and whether or not it's the truth.

I'm happy to see Laurie not dead since it makes sense now that Kevin didn't see her when he went over the last time.

Well done. One of my favorite series period. 3 seasons of greatness.
722514, same...
Posted by StephBMore, Mon Jun-05-17 09:47 AM
and to that point of Laurie lying, remember Matt said he would tell them whatever she wanted them to know. she could have changed her mind, and told him to lie and he would have.

that scene with Matt made me cry though. It was so beautifully done. The one time I felt empathy for Nora.
722515, One a scale from one to ten
Posted by Numba_33, Mon Jun-05-17 09:54 AM
>The one time I felt empathy for Nora.

how angry were you at the various times Nora called folks out during last night's episode? Also, I'm curious if you felt her anger at Kevin initially lying to her was justified or not. I'm mainly asking you these questions since you said you hated her character in prior response on this thread.
722516, ehh wasn't angry
Posted by StephBMore, Mon Jun-05-17 10:28 AM
but I was annoyed. she lies so much herself and to herself, I don't get her anger at ppl lying to her BUT in regards to kevin, i understood her pain because for him to act like they didn't have anything is extremely hurtful. I understood his position but despite how i felt about her, him acting like they were nothing was a bit much. I just wanted her to let go of that pain and whether she was lying or not, it seemed like she did.
722525, I felt like that last dance was...
Posted by 13Rose, Mon Jun-05-17 02:11 PM
as cathartic for the viewers as it was for them. She finally let down her guard for a bit and we got to relax for a bit. I really cared for the both of them in that scene. I kept saying to Kevin hold the line, don't tell her the truth. YOU ARE ON VACATION!. lol.
722577, The greatest thing about that scene...
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Jun-07-17 10:00 AM
... is that it finally firmly established Nora and Matt as *family*. The first time we see them together they chew each other out and say some really fucked up things. Then a lot of plot related stuff since then but never have we really felt like these two characters *grew up* with each other.

We finally got that in that scene and it really comes full circle for them.

And as for Nora...

(I meant to make this post before the finale but work got too crazy this past week)

I've always thought Nora the character was brilliantly written and acted, arguably the best in the show, amongst a ton of competition. My problem with Nora the person (moreso this season) has been that it's hard to empathize with her. I fully maintain that she's suffered the most of any character so I'm fine with her constant simmering anger at the world.

What's difficult to fathom is how much of a killjoy she is. She has such a strict adherence to what she feels is truth/justice/the american way that she doesn't care who gets bulldozed in pursuit of that. And I understand that mentality as I'm the same way... but only up to a point. She had that perverse desire this season to shit on anyone pursuing an un-truth, whether or not it was doing any harm. That was my problem with her.
722531, Dug the finale. I wasn't a big fan of the penultimate
Posted by Mynoriti, Mon Jun-05-17 05:33 PM
episode

those dreamy/other side eps never do much for me.

Dunno if Nora is lying, but i lean towards no. If she is, that's hell of a lot of dedication to a lie, and she probably would have just fessed up to Kevin at that point in their lives. but maybe. or maybe as the water filled up in that pod and she yelled out in the pod, it came to her what the departure really was

I liked the show, but probably not as much as most of you. The finale was very satisfying. I don't feel like it failed to provide answers, because unlike Lost, i don't feel like answers were needed.
722535, The show could have easily given us answers.
Posted by IkeMoses, Mon Jun-05-17 10:58 PM
Scientists at CERN fired up the Large Hadron Collider and it created a rift in spacetime that sent two percent of people into a parallel dimension.

Or the Sudden Departure really turned two percent of people into dogs and two percent of dogs into humans, just as some obscure religion prophesized God would always do.

They could have come up with any sort of dumb shit to be the reason why the people disappeared and it wouldn't have added anything to the show.
722541, the excuses a lot of people gave for Lost
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Jun-06-17 04:56 AM
that it was never about what happened, but about the characters and how they maneuvered through it...
They'd be perfectly valid if they were talking about Leftovers and not Lost
722550, I agree. The Leftovers had one big plot mystery
Posted by IkeMoses, Tue Jun-06-17 12:02 PM
and it just let that hang over the show.

LOST kept introducing big overarching mystery on top of big overarching mystery, most of which were deadends and red herrings. All the puzzle pieces didn't fit at the end of LOST.
722580, I loved how they never *truly* explained it...
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Jun-07-17 10:11 AM
and emphasized that by providing a number of different possible explanations (Rapture, geography, Azrael/lens, physical characteristics, etc.)

What makes the show resonate is that lack of closure is something everyone can relate to. That college relationship, best friends that drift apart, a missing child, a senseless death... those are the types of things that stick with a person throughout their lifetime. I'm happily married, but I still often think about that girl from college where it seemed everything was perfect... and then somehow it wasn't. I have zero desire to ever get back with her but I do wonder sometimes... "what if?"

The Departure is that unresolved feeling but on a much, much larger scale and it's a shared global experience... but everyone's experience with The Departure is uniquely their own (Laurie vs Meg vs Nora, etc.)
722534, Bravo! One of my favorite series ever.
Posted by calminvasion, Mon Jun-05-17 10:44 PM
Three seasons was just right.

I think it resonated emotionally with me more than any other show ever. I can't quite explain it. But fuck it really tugs at the heart strings... And that not usually me.

Season two is still the best season of any show ever imo. This season was not at that level, but I thought the finale was actually the best way to go out... Slower pace, simple, soft.

Funny thing is I am completely satisfied. I don't want more. As much as I liked this show I don't feel sad at all that it's ended.

I hope people will get to experience this show in future years. I Know the ratings were not great, but it should be pretty timeless.
722583, Amazing longform on the finale.... too long to swipe though
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Jun-07-17 11:35 AM
http://www.vulture.com/2017/06/leftovers-finale-behind-the-scenes-exclusive.html
722587, Example partial swipe:
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Jun-07-17 02:20 PM
The writers met again in July to hash out details of the finale. But the first day or two of writing it were snagged, instead, on a character in plot purgatory. While meeting on episode six, Lindelof had dropped a Damon grenade: He sort of killed off Laurie. Some writers adamantly opposed her suicide; others thought it was time to sacrifice a character. “I didn’t see it as part of Laurie’s story,” says Haley Harris, a young writer who was driven to tears over the plot turn. Somerville and Carly Wray, another senior-level writer, were also against it. Then Nick Cuse, Lindelof’s ally in bomb-throwing, came up with the notion of scuba diving; he had a relative who had died of an embolism after a dive. A scuba-diving mishap, in which, say, Laurie cuts off the flow of oxygen from her scuba tank, could be a way of “camouflaging suicide,” relieving family members of the burden. Or, alternately, it could “push the debate onto the audience,” says Wray. But what it really did was push the question of Laurie’s fate into the last episode.

Several writers only agreed to the scuba scene on the guarantee that Laurie was actually alive. Others felt that her survival would amount to a cheap twist — “schmuck bait,” as Somerville called it. “By day two, morale was very low,” Lindelof remembers. “Also, I didn’t want to be in the room. It just felt like there was a weight there. I think it was separation anxiety. It’s the final episode.” Finally, he realized he had to break the logjam. He stepped into Perrotta’s office and said, “I think Laurie should still be alive.” Perrotta came around, and they went into Spezialy’s office. “And then,” says Lindelof, “the three of us went into the room united, and it was a tremendous relief, and that was the day that everything changed.”

722589, Wow.
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Jun-07-17 02:46 PM
Tears shed in a writer's room. I'll definitely take the time to sit down and read this before tonight's game in Cleveland. Thank you.
722588, thanks.
Posted by IkeMoses, Wed Jun-07-17 02:34 PM
722645, I Call BS on the Series Finale. Tell Me what Happened - Flat Out!
Posted by Case_One, Sat Jun-10-17 08:20 PM
Cool Story Nora. Whatever. I want to know what happened. They jokers can play artistic checkers on another day. But I didn't spend 3 season - some of which was delayed to only get a crappy ending with Nora and Kevin acting like everything is copasetic. BUMP THAT!

722650, I'm dying. You spent three seasons wanting to watch another show
Posted by IkeMoses, Sat Jun-10-17 10:26 PM
722651, Right? Completely missed the point of the show.
Posted by wallysmith, Sun Jun-11-17 12:17 AM
He'd rather be told what to think than think for himself.

Edit: Case, for a less snarky response, hear it from Damon himself (or just read any number of posts in this thread):

https://www.backstage.com/interview/how-justin-theroux-and-carrie-coon-rewrote-leftovers-damon-lindelof/

“Tom and I have been very explicit since the beginning that we were not doing a mystery,” Lindelof tells Backstage. “We were much more interested in the emotional ramifications of living in a world where things didn’t get resolved. That was almost in direct response to the way that ‘Lost’ ended. The problem of answering mysteries is there’s always some level of dissatisfaction and unhappiness—because it’s never as exciting as the mystery itself. ‘The Leftovers’ openly embraced that idea.”

722656, What I want and what you want are two different things.
Posted by Case_One, Sun Jun-11-17 12:27 PM
You just accepted some weak explanation. So tell me what you think happened and I'll tell you what I think and why the season finally was Bull Hockey.

722659, Seriously. Read the posts in here...
Posted by wallysmith, Sun Jun-11-17 01:07 PM
... or the numerous quotes from the showrunners that I've pasted.

You will never get a definitive answer for the ending, because it's not meant to exist. In that longform I posted, even Carrie Coon and Damon Lindelof never discussed the meaning of her final dialogue because it's up to the viewer to interpret it for themselves.

This is why, no matter what position you're firing up to argue against, you're wrong for thinking the other side could be wrong. It doesn't matter what the "truth" is because all that matters is how someone wants to interpret it for themselves... and isn't that what The Leftovers is all about?
722662, I understand the intentional ambiguity. I just want I Bow on the Show!
Posted by Case_One, Sun Jun-11-17 07:35 PM
>... or the numerous quotes from the showrunners that I've
>pasted.
>
>You will never get a definitive answer for the ending, because
>it's not meant to exist. In that longform I posted, even
>Carrie Coon and Damon Lindelof never discussed the meaning of
>her final dialogue because it's up to the viewer to interpret
>it for themselves.
>
>This is why, no matter what position you're firing up to argue
>against, you're wrong for thinking the other side could be
>wrong. It doesn't matter what the "truth" is because all that
>matters is how someone wants to interpret it for themselves...
>and isn't that what The Leftovers is all about?

But yet again, (not you wally) folks in this dump think they
are smarter than everyone else. Its like art when someone draws a yellow circle on a read canvas, and people act like they got some seep meaning for life out of that mess. NO it's a darn yellow circle.

722673, no one thinks they are smarter...
Posted by StephBMore, Mon Jun-12-17 10:05 AM
we all just read the articles that came out as the show progressed so we were left with the understanding that the ending was up to the interpretation of the viewer. How is this a hard concept for you? You are super religious, you read the bible...is everything explicit in the bible? or are you one of those ppl who needs the minister to tell you how to interpret it and what to do because you don't trust your own reasoning?
722678, Man, Just Let ME Live. :)
Posted by Case_One, Mon Jun-12-17 11:57 AM
I wanted to see some actual evidence of the other side a full episode or two of walking around and what now. Why can't I have that? LOL

722680, Because it would have invalidated the entire show. n/m
Posted by wallysmith, Mon Jun-12-17 12:14 PM
722681, Not for me. Am I being Selfish - YES!
Posted by Case_One, Mon Jun-12-17 12:48 PM

722684, Unsurprising answer n/m
Posted by wallysmith, Mon Jun-12-17 01:39 PM
722687, Cut me some slack. I'm mad about the show getting the axe
Posted by Case_One, Mon Jun-12-17 03:26 PM

722690, You shouldn't be.
Posted by wallysmith, Mon Jun-12-17 04:17 PM
HBO was well within reason to cancel the show after the second season due to terrible ratings and closure on the ending. The cult-like fanfare and critical reviews is what got the showrunners a chance to really put a bow on everything.

I'm clearly biased, but I have a feeling the show will resonate for years to come, especially considering the geopolitical landscape these days.
722697, I love the show. I was hook on the first episode.
Posted by Case_One, Mon Jun-12-17 07:43 PM
>HBO was well within reason to cancel the show after the
>second season due to terrible ratings and closure on the
>ending. The cult-like fanfare and critical reviews is what
>got the showrunners a chance to really put a bow on
>everything.
>
>I'm clearly biased, but I have a feeling the show will
>resonate for years to come, especially considering the
>geopolitical landscape these days.

I don't think HBO promoted the show well. But hey, it's over now.

722672, Actually, you didn't pay attention either...
Posted by StephBMore, Mon Jun-12-17 10:02 AM
the producers and the writers said from the beginning that they weren't ever going to reveal what happened to the people. That was always known. They repeated it every season and before the end of this season too. They said they would resolve things with all of the characters (which they did). Why are you mad about something already known? that's like watching titanic and being shocked that the ship sank.