Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjecti think part of the story is that the arc of the universe subsumes the characters
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=718024&mesg_id=718428
718428, i think part of the story is that the arc of the universe subsumes the characters
Posted by rob, Fri Dec-16-16 10:01 PM
which, again, i think is part of what they learned from the prequels, when they tried to lean too heavily on anakin's destiny.

all that really matters about any of the main characters of the alliance is that they've decided that the rebellion is central to their identity, even those who come late to the game like jyn or riz. their stories and feelings and agency stop mattering when they get caught up in the war, and even when they break out of the chain of command, they're still loyal to the cause. even the force sensitives are broken and ultimately fodder.

the saw/riz stuff is there because they're showing how dysfunctional and desperate and disparate the rebellion has become on the eve of a new hope. if the movie needed anything, it was more insanity from saw.

both of those seem pretty real to me given what's happening with rebellions and terror cells in the world right now.

and maybe you feel like you can just combine the two characters that get the most screen time because everyone's disposable at this point in the war. the only difference between the main characters and the other bodies is they're the locus of the connections to the death star. what are some more scenes going to matter there? what more do we need to know about them that would make it a better movie.

especially in a context where there will be plenty of opportunities for disney to fill in the gaps and flesh out the characters without fucking up the tone of their war movie.

and i say that as someone who doesn't think any of the tarkin stuff (and most of the krennick stuff) was necessary.