Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectCrystal / Lightsaber Explanation
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=718024&mesg_id=718383
718383, Crystal / Lightsaber Explanation
Posted by The3rdOne, Fri Dec-16-16 01:23 PM
>Question for the Star Wars heads:
>Does the destruction of that Kyber planet mean there's no more
>crystals to be had? We were wondering that as we left the
>theater. It COULD make sense, but I likely know a lot less
>than some of you experts. My rationale was Luke's lightsaber
>is a hand-me-down, so is Rey's, and Kylo Ren's must not be
>made of crystals. Does that make sense at all or do I just not
>know enough?

The old pre-canon explanation of the kyber crystals were they were harvested by jedi from multiple planets..and they were multiple light colors (blue, green, yellow - all but crimson red. The Sith/red lightsabers were constructed using synthetic sith crystals...mainly because the jedi had a monopoly on those planets were khyber crystals were grown.

The new canon explanation of lightsabers and crystals was just introduced in the latest novel whereas all lightsabers, (jedi, neutral force user, dark jedi, and sith) were made from the same natural Khyber crystals. the color of the blade was determined by the user's connection with the force AND the crystal. So for instance, all jedi's had blue, green, and any other non-green color. The dark force users and sith's connection automatically made their blades red because of the crystal's effect of 'bleeding'. In the case of neutrality, Ashoka, the jedi who left and denounced the order, had 2 white bladed lightsabers. I believe she recovered those lightsabers from the dark jedi, Asajj Ventress (who was killed by Anakin). Those blades were red at first but, Ashoka's neutral connection to the Force made the blades white. Heinz can maybe speak on it more since he's read the novels - i think.

I'm not sure if the planet of Jedha was the ONLY planet with Khyber crystals in the new canon because Luke had a hand me down up until Return of The Jedi where he made a green bladed lightsaber. It hasn't been explained where he got that crystal from....yet. Kylo Ren's lightsaber has been said that the design of it was ancient. But it has some connection to an ancient Jedi temple where Ezra found a tri-bladed lightsaber in the TV series, Rebel......which happens to be a DOPE show as the seasons go on.