Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectMostly good, but (unpopular opinion) the nostalgia stuff is awful.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=718024&mesg_id=718357
718357, Mostly good, but (unpopular opinion) the nostalgia stuff is awful.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Dec-16-16 10:24 AM
Spent a billion dollars on a CGi Grand Moff Tarkin they didn't need that also looks bad. Busted out Vader just to give him a Schwarzenegger level dad joke. CGi Leia at the end: also cringeworthy (they can't get the mouths right, can they?). There was another moment or two that made me roll my eyes last night that I forget this morning. I can only imagine how great this movie would've been if they'd relied on the new characters to carry the story...

... because the cast is great, the message is insanely timely, and the action is really terrific. I enjoyed the film overall, as I'm sure most everyone will. There's just a good 15ish minutes of film or more devoted exclusively to nostalgia, and since the main characters here are a little thin (Yen and the robot are the MVPs by a landslide), they could've spent those 15 minutes more wisely on character IMO. If they'd done that, it could've been a perfectly-timed classic. Instead, it'a a mostly-enjoyable entry into this universe. TFA had better characters, this one had better action, both suffered from too much nostalgia pandering. I firmly believe we will see an all-timer classic Star Wars the second we abandon the nostalgia and spend a whole movie exclusively on new characters, new galaxies, new stories, etc.