Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectShow's creator reveals that Sterling and Milo had to happen...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=716730&mesg_id=717857
717857, Show's creator reveals that Sterling and Milo had to happen...
Posted by Creole, Wed Nov-30-16 04:06 PM
>that's where the Feels got me cause you can see, she LOVED THE
>HELL out of Randall. I understand he wants her to hurt a
>little while but it's good that in his trip, his father
>pointed out all she had done for him. how brilliant was that
>trip scene? I always wondered how they would get Milo and
>Sterling in a scene together.

>

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/29/this-is-us-creator-randall-rebecca-the-trip

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: You and the writers knew that Randall was going to find out the secret about William and Rebecca for some time. What kind of discussions did you guys have about how Randall should process that hurt? And how did you guys arrive at the idea that he would come to understand what Rebecca went through via that hallucination scene? He showed a tremendous amount of compassion and grace for his mother at the end of the episode by saying that must have been very lonely for her to carry that secret.
DAN FOGELMAN: It was a long process. This episode was in formative stages for maybe our longest time in the room. All of our actors had, at varying times, lamented that they don’t always get to act in scenes with all the other actors because of our varying time frames. I believe Sterling had had a conversation with Don Todd, one of our writers, and said, “I wish I could act with Milo. I’ll never get to act with Milo.” That became something we started talking about, and I think the room had started talking about, “What if he had some kind of dream?” And that evolved into this kind of mushroom trip that would allow him to get advice from his father at the time when he needs it the most — after he’s found out this story and secret about his mother.

We’d been talking for quite some time about, “What’s the path of Randall processing and then forgiving his mother?” I felt a secret buried for 36 years doesn’t feel like a piece of information you get, register, become wounded by, and then just go right toward forgiveness. It requires a bigger journey than that. So our step here in this episode was one of processing and seeing it from a different perspective, and then at least opening the door that at some point in their future there will be something akin to a chance at forgiveness.