Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectMine is I couldn’t suspend belief for a main plot point
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=716698&mesg_id=727102
727102, Mine is I couldn’t suspend belief for a main plot point
Posted by BigReg, Sun Jan-07-18 09:27 AM
>I’m...angry at how over the top, heavy handed,
>melodramatic, and pointless it was.

Ok, everyone loves Woody even in real life: I can get a small town caping for him against outside forces, an unliked asshole in town ,etc.

But someone who as a staple of the community and presumably well liked considering how much leeway they give her....

...In a small town her kid getting raped and murdered would be a forever pass. Thats the kind of wound a small town doesn’t recover from for years. Dentist would’t have tried to press up on her, etc. People would be checking up on you, people would take pity (at tims condecendingly so)

Having the town turn on her being the obstacle i couldnt wrap my mind around so it made everything seem Hallmark hokier and things like the racial flaws more apparent. I haven’t seen a movie with such strong performances and strong character ideas ruined by a lifetime movie plot outside of the last third of the movie.

Furthermore i dont know if a small town would cape for cops that hard. There they arent an abstract concept of law and justice, its just Craig, the kid that used to masturbate in class.

that history they got that everyone knows humanizes them which the movie hints at but still gives them this untouchable gravitas even tho everyone know (for example) Sam Rockwell char was an asshole. Its like they showed him no respect but saw him as harmless even tho he beat the breaks off several other towns people who they would have equally liked