Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectSo now that I've had a night to sit on this.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=716698&mesg_id=727077
727077, So now that I've had a night to sit on this.
Posted by Ryan M, Fri Jan-05-18 01:27 PM
It's fucking bad.

Performance wise - Rockwell and McDormand are as good as advertised. So let's move on.

(SPOILERS)

The 19 year old girlfriend. What the fuck was this? It felt like a 3 camera sitcom character. I get the humor, I just didn't find her funny.

Is there ONE likable character in this whole movie? I'm barely rooting for them to find the killer.

Maybe it's because I'm not as familiar with small town life but what dentist is risking his license over the police chief? Who are these people and why do none of them act like something other than a caricature?

Which takes me to Dixon's mom...the scene where she says, "Well, does she have any friends? Mess with them!" - okay, come the fuck on. What on the nose terrible writing is this?

Gift shop dude...if he's not the killer, then his scene intimidating Mildred is utterly pointless.

Mildred is wholly unlikable - there's next to no redeeming qualities about her character, even prior to her daughter being murdered. I mean, the scene of her yelling, "I HOPE YOU DO GET RAPED" is Crash level on the nose.

Willoughby and his wife have negative chemistry.

"Ooopie Daisy - I Got Arrested! :(" - what?

Apparently, heat is only something you can hear because it took 5 molotov cocktails for Dixon to realize EVERYTHING AROUND HIM WAS ON FUCKING FIRE.

Anyway, I could go on, but this was trash...and the worst part about it is how it's not even a little bit self aware.