Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectWidows (McQueen, 2017)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=715979
715979, Widows (McQueen, 2017)
Posted by SoulHonky, Tue Sep-27-16 03:05 PM
It's not my Set It Off remake but it's close. Steve McQueen is teaming with Viola Davis to make a film based on the British show "Widows".

I'm in.

---

Variety reports that Davis is the first actress to board the film, which comes from a script by McQueen and Gone Girl‘s Gillian Flynn. The story centers on four widows who come together to finish a robbery after their crooked husbands are killed on the job. The other three leads call for one black woman, one white woman, and one Latina woman, but they have yet to be cast. However, Jennifer Lawrence was “approached” to take a part, but she had to pass due to scheduling conflicts.
Set in a modern-day American city, New Regency’s Brad Weston has said, “Steve was interested in doing his own version of a gangster film. It felt fresh to him to combine a contemporary, hard-hitting, very grounded gangster movie with four strong female characters. We loved it because that’s who Steve is. He sees things differently.” He added, “This project gives him the commercial jumping-off point, but then allows him to twist it into a Steve McQueen film.”

https://thefilmstage.com/news/viola-davis-to-lead-steve-mcqueens-heist-thriller-widows/
715980, In
Posted by lfresh, Tue Sep-27-16 03:14 PM

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.
715981, way way in. mcqueen's batting 1.000 in my book.
Posted by dula dibiasi, Tue Sep-27-16 04:13 PM
prolly my favorite relatively newish filmmaker.
716134, this can't come soon enough
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Sun Oct-02-16 11:37 PM
>
716280, In because of McQueen (obviously) but the premise sounds weak...
Posted by The Analyst, Wed Oct-05-16 01:58 PM
719941, Casting news.
Posted by SoulHonky, Fri Feb-24-17 10:42 PM
http://deadline.com/2017/02/daniel-kaluuya-cast-widows-steve-mcqueen-movie-get-out-1201975266/

Daniel Kaluuya, who’s starring in Jordan Peele’s Get Out which is scoring at the box office already since bowing last night in previews, has been set to star in Widows, the Steve McQueen-directed film from New Regency. Viola Davis, Michelle Rodriguez and Cynthia Erivo are already aboard.

The plot centers on the aftermath of four armed robbers killed during a failed heist, and their surviving widows join forces and resolve to pull off the raid themselves. McQueen and Gone Girl author Gillian Flynn penned the script which is based on the 1983 British miniseries. Emile Sherman and Iain Canning of See-Saw Films (Lion) are producing along with McQueen. Film4 is co-financing.

Kaluuya is now shooting Marvel’s Black Panther, and will star in The Kitchen which he wrote and was workshopped at Sundance last year. Michael Fassbender is producing that one. He is repped by ICM Partners and Troika.
719957, i'm there
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Sat Feb-25-17 02:16 PM
>