Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectPitch a book series or author you'd like to see adapted to TV
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=715138
715138, Pitch a book series or author you'd like to see adapted to TV
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Aug-23-16 03:06 PM
Off top, I think Piers Anthony’s Incarnations of Immortality is absolutely perfect for this, even the horrendous money grab that was book 8. Each book could easily occupy a complete season. I’m thinking 8-10 eps each, depending on the book.

Here’s a general synopsis from Wikipedia:

“The first seven books each focus on one of seven
supernatural "offices" (Death, Time, Fate, War, Nature, Evil, and Good) in a fictional reality and history parallel to ours, with the exception that society has advanced both magic and modern technology. The series covers the adventures and struggles of a group of humans called "Incarnations", who hold these supernatural positions for a certain time.”

It’s basically a struggle for the souls of mankind between Good and Evil and the 5 major “Earthly” Incarnations caught between the two. The series deals heavily in basic constructs of Judeo-Christian mythology, though it also touches on Hinduism as well. The series implies that all faiths and their respective deities are valid, though that aspect is only touched upon slightly and could be greatly expanded upon with a series. There's a fair amount of sex, manipulation, and chicanery involved that would translate very well to a post-GOT series, though they could easily trim the sex without a problem.
715139, Also, a Stephen King Anthology series would be dope.
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Aug-23-16 03:14 PM
-The first season would be a 16 episode extravaganza combining The Shining and Dr Sleep, with 90 minute iterations in episode 1 and 9 for each respective half, perhaps with a 90 minute finale.

After that there's so much material to mine using one book per season. Just be extremely selective. I'd probably follow up with Firestarter and then maybe Gerald's Game and perhaps Duma Key.

I loathed 11/22/63 and most of his other adaptations but I'd really love to see his work properly brought to the big screen.
715140, Martian Time Slip by Philip K Dick for HBO
Posted by handle, Tue Aug-23-16 03:38 PM
It has everything:

Forced migration from Earth for some.
Union jobs on mars so union bosses and laborers move on their own.
Autism.
Depression.
Native Martians - called the "N" word by locals (It's okayP - I can't even type it with **'s without being jumped on.)
A Martian butler.
Time dilation and manipulation and possible time travel device in the form of a Martian totem.
Mistresses.
Divorce.

It's got more than enough mysticism, intrigue, drama, politics, racism, sci-fi elements - and humor to be a good show.

And it could keep a good arc for a few years.

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch would be more "fun" but I fear the show runners would screw it up by leaning in on Eldritch as a boogeyman.
715142, Callahan's Crosstime Saloon
Posted by SoulHonky, Tue Aug-23-16 04:02 PM
Essentially Cheers with aliens and vampires and all sorts of creatures. The books weren't necessarily great so I think it would be more of a jumping off point for the series than something you'd stick with but it's a great premise.

I loved Mario Puzo's books growing up and always thought The Sicilian could be a good miniseries. Same with Fools Die or The Fourth K.

John Bellairs books could be a good kid's series.
715144, I've always been disappointed His Dark Materials was mismanaged
Posted by Nodima, Tue Aug-23-16 04:29 PM

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
737947, Seems like even HBO can’t get it right as a series
Posted by calij81, Thu Feb-06-20 11:17 PM
Perhaps HDM is just too difficult to adapt to TV/movies.
715557, Helen Oyeyemi - The Icarus Girl
Posted by lfresh, Sat Sep-10-16 08:20 PM
more of a mini series for Syfy or FX

Jessamy "Jess" Harrison, age eight, is the child of an English father and a Nigerian mother. Possessed of an extraordinary imagination, she has a hard time fitting in at school. It is only when she visits Nigeria for the first time that she makes a friend who understands her: a ragged little girl named TillyTilly. But soon TillyTilly's visits become more disturbing, until Jess realizes she doesn't actually know who her friend is at all.

Malorie Blackman Noughts and Crosses Series - CW

This novel describes an alternative history where humans evolved while Pangaea was still intact. Without the barriers to exchange of domesticable animals, among other factors, the African people gained a technological and organizational advantage over the Europeans rather than the other way around, and made Europeans their slaves. At the time of the story, slavery has been abolished, but Jim-Crow type segregation operates to keep the Crosses (Blacks) in control of the noughts (Whites). Also, the close proximity of the various nations of the world in a single supercontinent and the lack of natural defences have forced the nations of the world to learn to cooperate. An organization called the Pangaean Economic Community exists, and seems to be similar to the United Nations in scope but similar to the European Union in powers, and it is playing a role in forcing change.

NK Jemisin - The Inheritance Trilogy - SyFy or HBO

In the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, gods dwell among mortals and one powerful, corrupt family rules the earth. Three extraordinary people may be the key to humanity’s salvation.

John Scalzi - Old Man's War series SyFy or HBO

Old Man's War is about a soldier named John Perry and his exploits in the Colonial Defense Forces (CDF). The first-person narrative is similar in overall structure to Robert A. Heinlein's Starship Troopers and Joe Haldeman's The Forever War as it follows Perry's military career from CDF recruit to the rank of major. It is set in a universe heavily populated with life forms (much like David Brin's Uplift Universe), and human colonists must compete for the scarce planets that are suitable for sustaining life. As a result, Perry must learn to fight a wide variety of aliens. While the soldiers in Starship Troopers and The Forever War relied on powered body armor to gain advantage over the aliens, the characters in Old Man's War have enhanced DNA and nanotechnology, giving them advantages in strength, speed, endurance, and situational awareness.

John Perry, a 75-year-old retired advertising writer, joins the Colonial Defense Forces who protect human interplanetary colonists. Volunteers sign letters of intent and provide DNA samples at age 65, which John and his now deceased wife Kathy had done ten years prior to the beginning of the story. After visiting his wife's grave to say goodbye (as volunteers can never return to Earth), Perry takes a space elevator to the CDF ship Henry Hudson, where he meets fellow male and female retiree volunteers who dub themselves the "Old Farts".

Steven Erikson - Malazan Book of the Fallen HBO nobody but HBO
If you thought GoT was intense? You havent seen anything, i took my sweet time taking a year going through this series and it was WORTH IT. world building and character exposition on an unimaginable scale

The first plotline takes place on the continent of Genabackis where armies of the Malazan Empire are battling the native city-states for dominance. An elite Malazan military unit, the Bridgeburners, is the focus for this storyline, although as it proceeds their erstwhile enemies, the Tiste Andii led by Anomander Rake and the mercenaries commanded by Warlord Caladan Brood, also become prominent. The novel Gardens of the Moon depicts an attempt by the Malazans to seize control of the city of Darujhistan. Memories of Ice, the third novel released in the sequence, continues the unresolved plot threads from Gardens of the Moon by having the now-outlawed Malazan armies uniting with their former enemies to confront a new, mutual threat known as the Pannion Domin. Toll the Hounds, the eighth novel in the series, revisits Genabackis some years later as new threats arise to Darujhistan and the Tiste Andii who now control the city of Black Coral.

sounds...simple..it SO is not
a bit like calling GoT a medieval series...yeah but oh good god theres so much more

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.
715625, The Gaiman's Sandman Series, Asimov's Foundation
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Sep-13-16 03:43 PM

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
715626, The Inheritance Trilogy would be a great anime
Posted by Hitokiri, Tue Sep-13-16 10:28 PM
I thought that the whole time I read it.
715628, Malazan: Book of the Fallen
Posted by Innocent Criminal, Wed Sep-14-16 07:36 AM
715631, I'd love a better try at the utterly junkfood-y "Dresden Files"
Posted by Walleye, Wed Sep-14-16 08:57 AM
SyFy tried it once, for about a season, and it wasn't very good. Though the lead actor kind of nailed his part, so it wasn't a total disaster. If you're unfamiliar (and there's no reason you should be except that he's been writing this series for a long time and I imagine it's done pretty well) the Dresden Files are about a private investigator named Harry Dresden who is also a wizard. They're hardboiled detective stories with magic. Yeah, 2016 is the first year in a while I've had to mostly have fun with reading books and I decided not to really engage my brain if I had to. So I mowed through 15 of The Dresden Files books in the last month.

The smarter side of me can list so many things wrong with these books. Their noir conceits tend to lean toward the cliche. Anything remotely sexual seems to have been written by a fourteen-year-old boy raised on romance novels. The Chicago he describes has almost nothing in common with the real city, culturally or geographically. The former is harder, obviously. But the frequent latter mistakes makes me shake my head and wish Jim Butcher would just... ask somebody who's lived there.

But the stuff the books do well would translate really well to a TV series, in my view. Butcher did a good job of crating a central character with a stable, intelligible personality and then putting him in situations that create tension with his worldview - tensions that are resolved in a perfect mix of unpredictable-but-somehow-consistent-with-the-character. He is also really good at escalating the stakes in each successive novel in a way which is somewhat believable within the bounds of the universe he has staked out.

It's weird, because it's like he does the hard stuff (compelling main character, expanding the universe and the magnitude of its peril skillfully) extremely well, but does the easy stuff (avoiding cliche'd writing and doing your research on factual information) pretty poorly. It's like watching a baseball team with good up-the-middle-defenders who can hit for power and have speed, but which somehow fails to find a firstbaseman or DH who can hit for shit. Like... how is THAT the thing you screwed up?

Anyhow, the stuff that Butcher sucks at would be easy to gloss over in a TV series. The stuff that he's good at can actually be augmented with good casting (the surrounding characters are pretty compelling as well - the guy is hit/miss with villains but the hits are really fun) and skillful pacing of TV episodes/seasons.

Anyhow, I don't really know how licensing and TV rights works, but I'm guessing this is impossible because the first TV effort failed. But I'd have rather enjoyed turning off my brain and watching an honest effort at doing it well. It'd be a fun, if not particularly thoughtful, watch.
715633, Interesting pick. I'd prefer "Hard Magic" over that one personally
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Sep-14-16 10:43 AM
still... I like the pick.
715634, I don't know that one
Posted by Walleye, Wed Sep-14-16 11:50 AM
Is your preference freighted with a recommendation?

Because I'm wrapping up more than a decade of graduate study right now, and if you've got a recommendation for almost-thoughtful serialized fiction then I'm interested.
715650, It's fantastic, but I actually have better reccomendations.
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Sep-14-16 02:40 PM
Namely Robert J Sawyer’s duo of masterpiece trilogies, the W.W.W trilogy and the Hominids trilogy.

WWW consists of Wake/Watch/Wonder and pulls off a remarkable feat in appealing to both adult and YA audiences with a teen girl as the centerpiece. It’s about Caitlyn, a blind 15 year old girl who is also a brilliant mathematician who undergoes an experimental procedure to give her sight through a small pod on her eye. She calls it her ‘eye-pod’, lol, and her fondness for cheesy puns is endearing.

She makes contact with am emergent intelligence that exists in the framework of the internet, a being that comes to be known as “WebMind”.

Caitlyn and Webmind both discover their newfound world together, with Caitlyn as WM’s unwitting teacher. As you can imagine, the government catches on to WM’s existence and things get crazy. I don’t want to reveal too much but it’s a fantastic trilogy that tackles concepts of evolution, big brother, etc and takes an unexpectedly thoughtful look at the subject of A.I.** I say unexpectedly to those unfamiliar with Robert J Sawyer. There are definite YA elements but it’s not a YA book. You don’t get, like, Divergent type pandering.

He’s not catering to the 20 year old barrista, unless that barrista is a math fanatic and keeps a well-worn copy of The Origin of Consciousness In The Breakdown Of The Bicameral Mind somewhere close at all times.
That book, along with The Miracle Worker, 2001, A Space Odessey, War Games, etc are among many references made in the series as their themes not only echo throughout, but are built upon.

Hominids, actually called The Neanderthal Parallax trilogy, is about the arrival of a Neandertal from a parallel universe where they became the dominant species. This trilogy involves a deep examination of the completely different paths taken by our two societies and we ultimately get to see both worlds extensively. I will say that his imagined Neandertal society is intriguing and challenged my notions our societal checks and balances and the potential cost of creating a human utopia. For example, Neandertals have practically no murder in their world because they deem the act so horrendous and unforgivable that when someone commits murder, they sterilize his/her entire bloodline.

His writing is very practical and the core of his books are the characters and their relationships, yet all of his books consistently delve into scientific concepts. For every character moment you have another where someone breaks down why we didn’t develop an eye in the back of our head.

If I have one shining recommendation from his catalog, it would be Calculating God, far and away his best work. Actually that’s a top five all time fiction book for me. It’s a masterpiece. Basically it’s about an atheist paleontologist who, as is a common theme, makes first contact with an alien being. Rather… the alien makes contact with him as he is on Earth looking specifically for a paleontologist.

The reason being, he’s trying to figure out why so many worlds evolve and endure exactly 6 cycles of extinction level cataclysms before ultimate extinction. Oh, and the alien, named Hollis, not only believes in God, but knows it to be a long established fact and can’t believe that any true scientist wouldn’t. Again, so much depth of conversation and character and scientific dialogue.

He doesn’t get so deep into science as to be tedious and honestly never even approaches that territory. He consistently strikes an impressive balance on that end.

I’d still recommend Hard Magic, otherwise known as the Grimnoir Chronicles, but if I’m making recommendations, these are among the more profound and deeply satisfying modern sci-fi books I’ve read. If you read any of them PLEASE hit me back because I’d be geeked to discuss them with you.
715700, Thanks!
Posted by Walleye, Fri Sep-16-16 08:27 AM
Well I'm fucking sold. My wife informed me that we actually own the Grimnoir books (somewhere in our apartment - this is a common problem) but I'm pretty interested in the Sawyer books based on those descriptions. Calculating God *isn't* part of the other trilogies, right? I think I may start with that stand-alone one, if that's the case. I've always had a bit of trouble with SciFi as a category (the problem is all me - I don't have a very good visual imagination and it makes me want to keep my stories as grounded as possible) but too many smart people, now you're another, have yelled at me with appealing recommendations.

But I still like the idea of a stand-alone novel first.

So, I'm on it. I'll holler upon you when I'm done. Thanks again.
715702, Dope! I hope you enjoy them. CG is standalone
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Sep-16-16 08:45 AM
That one gets a little more dense on the science since a large portion of it hinges on discussion between the two main characters breaking things down.

After that I'd recommend WWW followed by Neadertal Parallax, if only because WWW is a lighter, more fun read after CG. If you've ever delved into game theory you'll enjoy WWW because it's used often.

It's arguably the more nuanced of the three reccomendations.I.e, Caitlyns6 father is austic...or maybe aspergers...anyhow he has to teach WebMind how to emulate neruotypical human emotions so as not to make those who I teract with him uncomfortable, and you get a lot of singularly intriguing moments.
715644, Easy Rawlings Series
Posted by Pamalama, Wed Sep-14-16 12:48 PM
Still don't understand why this has not happened yet.
715858, Still mad the film series didn't kick off
Posted by SoulHonky, Thu Sep-22-16 03:32 PM
I love Devil in a Blue Dress.
715866, my only trepidation with this is...who plays Mouse????
Posted by Castro, Thu Sep-22-16 05:21 PM
Cheadle's portrayal would cast a shadow over that series.
733470, Fearless Jones or Socrates Fortlow
Posted by Beamer6178, Tue Feb-05-19 01:58 PM
>Still don't understand why this has not happened yet.

Walter's series are made for TV.
715648, Scalped
Posted by pretentious username, Wed Sep-14-16 01:13 PM
Hands down. Just a fantastic, gritty story with complex characters that would fit in perfectly with today's TV landscape. Someone bought the rights and there was a pilot script floating around but I don't think it ever moved forward.

edit: looks like they just ordered the pilot to be filmed a few months ago actually. good news!
730572, Still my answer. Seems to be stuck in developmental hell. n/m
Posted by pretentious username, Mon Jul-16-18 11:27 AM
715742, RE: Pitch a book series or author you'd like to see adapted to TV
Posted by jcpoppe, Sun Sep-18-16 03:00 PM
Red Sparrow and Palace of Treason by Jason Matthews would be great modern spy thrillers to adapt for TV. They focus highly on spy craft, similar to John Le Carre novels, but they are more modern and Matthews does a great way of establishing the two main characters as independent persons. I'd say Matthews is the modern American update to the Brit Le Carre. There is suspense, sex, murder, and a realistic feel to his books (I mean, he was a CIA agent).

Plot in as few words as possible because you should read the book if you like spy joints: Russian girl becomes spy. She meets a guy who is an American spy. They dance around each other trying to figure out what the other wants. People die. Sex is had. Somebody flips against their government.

Word on the street is there is going to be a big Hollywood production done for Red Sparrow, which is cool and all, but a TV series where things are slowed down a bit to deliver the tense pacing of the books would've been a better choice in my opinion.

715854, Y: The Last Man
Posted by KnowOne, Thu Sep-22-16 02:39 PM
(if comics count)

The series is about the only man who survives the apparent simultaneous death of all other male mammals on Earth except the man & his pet monkey.

Great story with awesome characters. Would be perfect as a series.
715864, Came in here to post that. I thought Keanu Reeves
Posted by Castro, Thu Sep-22-16 05:19 PM
had optioned this...hope not.

It would be perfect for FX or Showtime.
730554, FUCK YEAH!
Posted by Castro, Fri Jul-13-18 05:01 PM
728782, FX Orders ‘Y: The Last Man’ Pilot
Posted by j0510, Thu Apr-05-18 03:32 PM
FX Orders ‘Y: The Last Man’ Pilot

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/fx-y-the-last-man-pilot-1202745185/
730529, ‘Y: The Last Man’ Pilot Casts Diane Lane With Barry Keoghan Set as Yorick
Posted by j0510, Wed Jul-11-18 02:40 PM
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/y-the-last-man-fx-cast-diane-lane-barry-keoghan-yorick-1202870615/

‘Y: The Last Man’ Pilot Casts Diane Lane With Barry Keoghan Set as Yorick
By JOE OTTERSON
JULY 11, 2018 11:30AM PT

FX’s “Y: The Last Man” pilot has set its main cast.

Diane Lane has signed on to star in the drama series pilot, which is simply titled “Y,” along with Barry Keoghan, Imogen Poots, Lashana Lynch, Juliana Canfield and Marin Ireland.

Based on DC Comics’ acclaimed series by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra, the project traverses a post-apocalyptic world in which a cataclysmic event has decimated every male mammal save for one lone human. The new world order of women will explore gender, race, class and survival.

Keoghan will play Yorick Brown, the main character from the graphic novels on which the show is based. He is described as a young man quick to use humor to deflect from his problems who may be the lone male survivor of a worldwide plague.

Keoghan is known for his roles in films like Yorgos Lanthimos’ “The Killing of a Sacred Deer” and Christopher Nolan’s “Dunkirk.” Both roles earned him a spot on Variety’s “10 Actors to Watch” for 2017. He is repped by WME, Management 360, and Troika.

Poots will play Hero Brown, Yorick’s sister. She is a tough and confident EMT who nurses a deep emotional trauma that often leads her to cross personal and professional lines.

Poots broke out in the film “28 Weeks Later,” and has gone on to star in films like “Green Room,” “Knight of Cups,” and “I Kill Giants.” Her television credits include Showtime’s “Roadies,” BBC’s “Miss Austen Regrets,” and BBC’s “Christopher and His Kind.” She is repped by CAA and Troika.

Lane will star as Senator Jennifer Brown, Yorick and Hero’s mother. A Junior Senator in her first term, Senator Brown has already made a name for herself in political circles for her willingness to put personal ideals above politics.

Lane is an Academy Award known for her roles in films like “Unfaithful,” “Under the Tuscan Sun,” “Chaplin,” “Hollywoodland,” “Nights in Rodanthe,” “Trumbo” and more. Lane’s current projects include a co-starring role in the sixth and final season of “House of Cards” and Matthew Weiner’s “The Romanoffs” for Amazon. She is repped by UTA.

Lynch will play Agent 355, a Secret Service agent who performs the duties of her job with the utmost professionalism, even under the most unexpected set of circumstances. Lynch recently secured a role in the upcoming Marvel film “Captain Marvel.” Previously, she was seen in the lead role of Shonda Rhimes’ ABC show “Still Star-Crossed” and also appears as a lead in the miniseries “Bulletproof” airing later this year. She is repped by ICM, Alan Siegel Entertainment, and BWH Agency.

Canfield will play Beth. A Brooklyn-based knife maker, Beth grew up on a farm and went to New York to experience the big city. She finds something endearing about the hapless Yorick and when they’re together, there’s the undeniable spark of two kids in love. Canfield currently appears in a recurring role on the HBO series “Succession.” She holds an MFA from the Yale School of Drama. She is repped by ICM and Brookside Management.

Finally, Ireland will play Nora, the President’s senior assistant and right hand. She effortlessly balances family life with a job navigating the corridors of power. Ireland has appeared in shows like “Sneaky Pete,” “Girls,” “Homeland,” “Masters of Sex,” and “The Slap.” Most recently she was seen in the Lifetime movie “Flint,” about the Flint water crisis, playing activist Melissa Mays. She is repped by ICM and Untitled Entertainment.

Michael Green and Aida Mashaka Croal are set to serve as co-showrunners on the project, and will executive produce alongside Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson of Color Force. Vaughan will also executive produce. Melina Matsoukas will direct the pilot and also serve as an executive producer.

An adaptation of “Y: The Last Man” has long been in the works. It was originally set up as a film before FX acquired the rights to develop it as a series. The cabler ordered the project to pilot back in April.
730555, YES!!!
Posted by Castro, Fri Jul-13-18 05:04 PM
733458, 'Y: The Last Man' Ordered to Series at FX
Posted by j0510, Tue Feb-05-19 09:07 AM
https://cdn1.thr.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/scale_crop_768_433/2019/02/y-_the_last_man_image-publicity_still-h_2019_.jpg

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/y-last-man-ordered-series-at-fx-1182204

'Y: The Last Man' Ordered to Series at FX
FEBRUARY 04, 2019 10:00am PT by Lesley Goldberg

Brian K. Vaughan's beloved comic series will finally make it to a screen in 2020.

File this under "years in the making."

Brian K. Vaughan's beloved comic series Y: The Last Man is finally coming to a screen. FX on Monday announced that it has picked up its TV adaptation to series. The network has handed out a series order for the drama from showrunner Michael Green and starring Barry Keoghan and Diane Lane. It is expected to premiere in 2020.

Y: The Last Man ranks as one of the most critically acclaimed comic book series of all time. The DC Comics/Vertigo title was first launched in 2002 and revolves around Yorick Brown (Keoghan, Dunkirk) — the last surviving human with a Y chromosome — and his Capuchin monkey, Ampersand. The series follows escape artist Yorick after a mysterious plague as he sets out to find what might have wiped out the male chromosome. Y: The Last Man, written and created by Vaughan and artist Pia Guerra, ran for 60 issues and has been collected in multiple graphic novels.

Green (American Gods, Blade Runner 2049, Logan) and Aïda Mashaka Croal (Luke Cage, Turn) serve as showrunners and executive producers. Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson of Color Force (American Crime Story, Pose, The Hunger Games) and Vaughan exec produce and developed the series. Melina Matsoukas (Insecure, Master of None, Beyonce: Formation) directed the pilot and exec produces the FX Productions drama. In addition to Keoghan and Lane, the cast also includes Amber Tamblyn, Imogen Poots, Lashana Lynch, Juliana Canfield and Marin Ireland.

"Brian and Pia’s exploration of a world without men is a favorite for its depth, its humor, its insights and its monkey," Croal and Green said in a joint statement. “Adapted today it offers us a cracked mirror to look at our own very cracked world. We thank them for their trust — we thank FX for their support — and we thank the casting gods for letting us work with this incredible group of actors.”

It's been a long and twisty path to the screen for Y: The Last Man. FX put the adaptation in development in late 2015 after Vaughan reacquired the rights to his franchise following a lengthy waiting period after New Line scrapped plans to convert the comic book to a feature film. New Line — a corporate sibling to publisher Vertigo — acquired the film rights to the series in 2007 and set David Goyer, Carl Ellsworth and director D.J. Caruso to adapt. The latter wound up walking away from the project after the studio didn't want to produce the saga as a three-film franchise but rather a two-hour stand-alone feature.

In March 2012, Jericho's Matthew Federman and Stephen Scaia were in final negotiations to take on the property with J.C. Spink, Chris Bender and Goyer producing, and Mason Novick and Jake Weiner set as executive producers. The latter fell apart in September 2014 when Vaughan announced that the rights were in the process of reverting back to him and the movie was dead. "We wanted to tell a complete story … but not the whole story," Vaughan said at the time, noting that he had hoped that "in success, we could get tell the rest of our serialized adventure."

Vaughan told The Hollywood Reporter in November 2017 that he "wanted to find someone who loved the source material but didn't feel so indebted to it that they would be afraid to change it," with Green fitting that bill. "When first pitched his take on it to Nina Jacobson and me a long time ago, he came in saying he wanted to do something about toxic masculinity. It felt very relevant, and unfortunately, I think it's only become more relevant with each passing day. His take on it was really brave and very different, but exciting as well. I really admire how audacious he's been with his translation."

Green's vision for Y: The Last Man, he told THR in July 2017, changed after Donald Trump was elected president. "It would have been a very different show, and very different development process, had the election not been as horrifying as it was," he said. "I had to put the script down for a couple months and really reassess it tonally, because it became a different creature, it became violent protest. It couldn't not be political, and I had to embrace it, and I had to find my way in, and I had to find a way to channel my own dismay, disappointment and rage into it, while still keeping it what it is. For a minute there, I almost walked away."

Y: The Last Man — now especially relevant in the era of salary-parity debates and the #MeToo and Time's Up movements — counts fans in Joss Whedon, French film director Louis Leterrier (The Incredible Hulk, Clash of the Titans, Now You See Me) and Chuck alum Zachary Levi, who expressed interest in taking on the role of Yorick — going so far as to have his character on the former NBC comedy read the graphic novel during an episode. Quizzed by THR in September 2014 ahead of the fall comic book invasion on broadcast, Y: The Last Man was singled out as a property that should be the next to come to the small screen.

FX's Y: The Last Man marks Vaughan's latest TV foray after Hulu's take on his beloved Marvel comic Runaways and CBS' Under the Dome (which he developed for Showtime and ultimately departed following its freshman season on CBS) and Lost. He is currently writing Image Comics' critical hit Saga and has an eight-figure overall film and TV deal with Legendary.

Y: The Last Man joins a scripted roster at FX that also includes American Horror Story, Atlanta, Better Things, Baskets, Fargo, Legion, Mayans, Pose, Snowfall and the upcoming Breeders, Devs, Fosse/Verdon, Mrs. America, Shogun and What We Do in the Shadows. Still in limbo are the futures of American Crime Story, Feud and Trust.

"Y: The Last Man is a towering achievement among graphic novel storytelling and it’s been rewarding to work with this outstanding team,” FX president of original programming Nick Grad said. “Michael Green and Aïda Mashaka Croal have partnered with Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson to deliver a stunning new expression of this fascinating and timely story. Melina Matsoukas, who directed the pilot, did an incredible job bringing it to life with Diane Lane and this stellar cast.”
733474, PLEASE DONT SCREW THIS UP....
Posted by KnowOne, Tue Feb-05-19 03:10 PM
I cant wait...wonder who they can cast as Agent 355
734391, Y: The Last Man Showrunners Exit FX Adaptation Due to Creative Differences
Posted by j0510, Mon Apr-15-19 09:04 PM
https://tvline.com/2019/04/15/y-the-last-man-showrunners-leaving-fx-series/

Y: The Last Man Showrunners Exit FX Adaptation Due to Creative Differences
By Michael Ausiello / April 15 2019, 4:33 PM PDT

There’s been a shakeup behind the scenes at Y: The Last Man, FX’s forthcoming adaptation of Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra’s comic book series. Co-showrunners Michael Green (American Gods) and Aïda Mashaka Croal (Marvel’s Luke Cage) announced Monday that they have parted ways with the project, which snagged a series order from the cabler back in February.

“Sad news for fans of Y: The Last Man today,” the duo’s statement began. “FX has decided not to move forward with out series in its current form.”

An FX rep tells TVLine that Green and Croal left due to creative differences; the search for a new showrunner is underway.

⁦@andmichaelgreen⁩ pic.twitter.com/igNnghiatM

— Aida Croal (@mashaka74) April 15, 2019

Initially ordered to pilot last April, the drama — titled simply Y — takes place in a post-apocalyptic world where a cataclysmic event has decimated every male except for one lone human, Yorick. In his travels, Yorick encounters a new world order of women who explore gender, race, class and survival.

Barry Keoghan (Dunkirk) stars as Yorick, with Oscar nominee Diane Lane, Amber Tamblyn (Two and a Half Men), Imogen Poots (Roadies), Lashana Lynch (Still Star-Crossed), Juliana Canfield (Succession) and Marin Ireland (Sneaky Pete) rounding out the ensemble.
737943, ‘Y: The Last Man’ Recasting Lead Role of Yorick as Barry Keoghan Exits
Posted by j0510, Thu Feb-06-20 09:38 PM
https://collider.com/y-the-last-man-recast-yorick-barry-keoghan-exits/

‘Y: The Last Man’ Recasting Lead Role of Yorick as Barry Keoghan Exits
BY JEFF SNEIDER
FEBRUARY 6, 2020

FX’s adaptation of Y: The Last Man has suffered another setback, as sources say the lead role of Yorick will be recast, Collider has exclusively learned.

Rising star Barry Keoghan (The Killing of a Sacred Deer) had been cast as Yorick Brown, who finds himself as the last living male on Earth after a cataclysmic event wipes out every other man on the planet. With the help of his pet monkey Ampersand, Yorick sets out to find his girlfriend Beth, and together they end up traversing a post-apocalyptic world in which women call the shots.

Based on the comic book by Brian K. Vaughan and artist Pia Guerra, the long-gestating series is set to explore themes of “gender, race, class and survival.” Last summer, Eliza Clark (The Killing) was brought in to replace original showrunners Aïda Mashaka Croal and Michael Green, who exited the project due to “creative differences.”

Y: The Last Man already boasts a top-notch female cast that includes Diane Lane, Imogen Poots, Lashana Lynch, Juliana Canfield, Marin Ireland and Amber Tamblyn. Lane will play Yorick’s mother, a U.S. Senator. It’s unclear whether the series remains on track for a late 2020 release, or if we’ll have to wait until early next year for it.

Keoghan broke out in 2017 with back-to-back turns in Christopher Nolan‘s Dunkirk and A24’s psychological thriller The Killing of a Sacred Deer. He went on to star in the excellent indie movie American Animals and HBO’s award-winning miniseries Chernobyl. Keoghan will soon be seen as Druig in Marvel’s Eternals, and he has also wrapped David Lowery‘s Green Knight, which A24 will release later this year. Sources did not provide a reason for his exit.

FX is set to unveil Alex Garland‘s new series Devs on March 5, while the fourth season of Fargo will debut later this year. The network is also developing a new take on Stephen King‘s Carrie, as Collider first reported.
715870, would LOVE to see kavalier+clay and YPU HBO mini series style
Posted by dba_BAD, Thu Sep-22-16 11:00 PM
of course these have both been kicked around quite a bit, doesn't look like it will ever happen
715893, Alan Moore's wildCATS
Posted by Nappy Soul, Fri Sep-23-16 04:18 PM
There were rumors it was going to be made a while back http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/12/25/jim-lees-wildcats-to-follow-man-of-steel/ after the fumes of Watchmen but it all died off after the underwhelming reception of Man of Steel.

It could be their Guardians of The Galaxy
715908, The Quaker City
Posted by CaptNish, Fri Sep-23-16 09:41 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Lippard#The_Quaker_City
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Quaker_City,_or_The_Monks_of_Monk_Hall

Done as a one season show.
730530, David Baldacci's Camel Club Series
Posted by Beamer6178, Wed Jul-11-18 02:52 PM
Political Thriller Series. Each book could be a season. 6 books, great characters.
730556, 100 bullets.
Posted by dula dibiasi, Fri Jul-13-18 05:20 PM
they literally wouldn't have to change anything. it's all on the page.
733459, I want HBO to do this one so badly....
Posted by rorschach, Tue Feb-05-19 09:44 AM
Instead of fiddling around with Watchmen, a book that really doesn't translate to any other medium, HBO should talk to DC about 100 Bullets.
---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------
733472, this
Posted by fontgangsta, Tue Feb-05-19 02:57 PM
this this this this this this this this
730560, Chester Himes - Coffin Ed/Gravedigger Jones Series
Posted by navajo joe, Sat Jul-14-18 11:53 AM
W/ Delroy Lindo and Charles S. Dutton
730578, Raymond Feist's "Magician" series
Posted by DVS, Tue Jul-17-18 08:38 AM
that would be real dope.

D
730586, Colson Whitehead - Zone One
Posted by Tw3nty, Tue Jul-17-18 12:01 PM
Zombies from a different angle.
Restoring society after successfully defeating an zombie apocalypse.