Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectKong: Skull Island (Jordan Vogt-Roberts, 2017)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=714270
714270, Kong: Skull Island (Jordan Vogt-Roberts, 2017)
Posted by bwood, Sun Jul-24-16 09:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK5hbs4LOI8

This looks like Apocalypse Now with monsters. All in.
714274, Was skeptical when I heard the project but am In
Posted by SoulHonky, Sun Jul-24-16 12:13 PM
I also love Brie Larson so that helps.
714284, there's a lot of talent involved but i hope it's better than godzilla
Posted by Hellyeah, Mon Jul-25-16 06:33 AM
that joint was weak as hell
714285, Been looking forward to this one.
Posted by phenompyrus, Mon Jul-25-16 08:07 AM
GREAT cast (Brie Larson FTW! And Corey Hawkins/Jason Mitchell from SOC??), trailer looks ominous, King Kong looks gigantic...

714302, looks good
Posted by RobOne4, Mon Jul-25-16 01:25 PM
714303, i'm super in. this looks all kinds of dope.
Posted by dula dibiasi, Mon Jul-25-16 01:52 PM
714307, I'm out until reviews come in
Posted by handle, Mon Jul-25-16 03:41 PM
The last one - different story, different director, different cast -ruined the whole franchise for me.

These two minutes have killed Kong for me until I see reviews: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_EuMeT2wBo
717566, New trailer is even better
Posted by bwood, Thu Nov-17-16 06:05 AM
https://youtu.be/h9y6oPka3us
717588, Much more story driven, and less Brie Larson driven
Posted by Dae021, Thu Nov-17-16 03:08 PM
I think I really like where this might end up.
717595, lol at Reilly's jacket.
Posted by stylez dainty, Thu Nov-17-16 05:14 PM
717624, LOL
Posted by Ashy Achilles, Fri Nov-18-16 07:35 PM
717591, That helicopter sunset shot... legendary.
Posted by stylez dainty, Thu Nov-17-16 03:42 PM
717593, and it has tie ins with Godzilla
Posted by justin_scott, Thu Nov-17-16 04:41 PM
717602, so mothra after credits scene for zilla vs kong?
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Fri Nov-18-16 01:12 AM
717605, this looks dope and wack at the same time..not sure how it is even
Posted by Hellyeah, Fri Nov-18-16 07:40 AM
possible
717609, took the words out of my mouth
Posted by xangeluvr, Fri Nov-18-16 12:55 PM
>possible

john c reilly character looks like the main reason i'll hate this movie though.
717625, I can't tell if the humor works
Posted by mrshow, Fri Nov-18-16 08:11 PM
No laughs in that first trailer but more the studio was emphasizing the comedic aspects. It still looks kinda cool to me though.
720087, final trailer
Posted by Hellyeah, Mon Feb-27-17 04:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnUcGN_g6SI

ok...i'm excited again...this looks damn fun
720115, RE: final trailer
Posted by xangeluvr, Tue Feb-28-17 11:32 AM
Dope trailer, but I still can't get with John C. Reilly's character.
720208, So I caught this at a screening on Wednesday
Posted by nipsey, Thu Mar-02-17 11:59 PM
It was laughably bad to me. Others might like it. It was a silly movie with Sam Jackson yelling, Jason Mitchell crackin' jokes, John C Reilly being loony, and Thomas Hiddleston being heroic. Worth a Netflix watch on a slow Saturday night, but I wouldn't pay to see it.

his is the movie for you if you're a fan of:

1) Samuel L Jackson chewing through scenery like a hungry dog on a bone.

2) Watching a GIANT ape fight a GIANT lizard.

3) Watching stuff explode.
720212, That sounds like exactly how they marketed it tho
Posted by Heinz, Fri Mar-03-17 02:14 AM
Did you think it was supposed to more serious an not over the top?
720225, ha
Posted by BigWorm, Fri Mar-03-17 12:39 PM

>his is the movie for you if you're a fan of:
>
>1) Samuel L Jackson chewing through scenery like a hungry dog
>on a bone.
>
>2) Watching a GIANT ape fight a GIANT lizard.
>
>3) Watching stuff explode.

I have no idea what you expected. Anyone hyped about this movie basically wants to see those three things. I honestly can't even think of another good reason to see a King Kong movie.

720234, I wasn't expecting it to be anymore than what the ads showed
Posted by nipsey, Fri Mar-03-17 06:31 PM
BUT, it would have been a pleasant surprise to find it be a smarter movie than they actually showed. I was hoping to go in expecting one thing and coming out with something better than expected. That's all.
720250, the last godzilla tried to be smarter and frankly, that shit failed
Posted by Hellyeah, Sat Mar-04-17 03:48 AM
miserably

let monsters punch the shit of eachother for the majority of the movie please
720259, Basically
Posted by Heinz, Sun Mar-05-17 03:36 AM
720356, It was only smarter with ideas. Not with its characters.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Mar-10-17 01:45 AM
It desperately needed better characters-- or at least a better leading actor.

These flicks have a *lot* of ideas going on. And some damn fine action, visuals, etc. But goddamn, I miss having a character I care about.
720230, This looks awesome. I'm gonna turn my brain off and enjoy it.
Posted by Shogun, Fri Mar-03-17 02:23 PM
720279, I would love to see what this director does with a much, much...
Posted by bwood, Mon Mar-06-17 01:56 PM
better script.

Look nipsey is not wrong here. It's a mildly fun monster movie when the monsters are on screen. I'll be real honest John C. Reilly and Kong steal this movie otherwise there's nothing to really give a fuck about.

Yeah it's the visuals are cool and all, but this is like someone made a half-baked version of APOCALYPSE NOW with dope ass monster fights.

But yeah, hopefully this guy gets a much better script.

Oh and sit through the credits...
720282, I see that Godzilla and this are written by Max Borenstein
Posted by bwood, Mon Mar-06-17 06:09 PM
Get that guy off these fucking movies b. He sucks at writing characters.
720354, To be fair... this is describing something REALLY AWESOME.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Mar-10-17 01:41 AM
"someone made a half-baked version of APOCALYPSE NOW with dope ass monster fights."

Awesomer than this movie is, sadly. Even though I enjoyed it.
720361, HAHAHAHA
Posted by bwood, Fri Mar-10-17 07:07 AM
You're right sadly.
720358, What happened after the credits?
Posted by SoulHonky, Fri Mar-10-17 03:00 AM
Left before hand.
720360, Spoilers for dumb niggas on these boards
Posted by bwood, Fri Mar-10-17 07:03 AM
Brie and Tom are being held for interrogation by MONARCH. Dr. Dre and the hot Chinese lady walk in and show them slides of Mithra, a couple other monsters and a cave painting of Godzilla (fighting Mithra?). Screen cute to black and you hear Godzilla roar.
720416, RE: Spoilers for dumb niggas on these boards
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Mon Mar-13-17 08:43 AM
Godzilla was fighting Ghidorah
720355, Some great ideas, action, visuals, tension. Characters are meh.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Mar-10-17 01:43 AM
I did really like a lot about this flick, and I'd see the next Godzilla and Mothra and what have you... but I have to say, this just shows why the original and the Peter Jackson ones are classic (yeah, even with the racism). Those have real goddamn storytelling and emotion. Here, they give us some fantastic visuals and tension and all of the shit in my subject line-- but the story and the emotion aren't there. They just took a ton of really cool ideas and mushed them together instead of really fleshing them out on screen. Which is kind of a shame.

Still, they better give me a goddamn Mothra movie.
720359, Middling, Forgettable FX pic.
Posted by SoulHonky, Fri Mar-10-17 03:15 AM
If you're going in for big fights scenes and cool FX, it has that. You should be happy enough.

Outside of that, it's almost incredibly generic. It doesn't even hit the Vietnam archetypes outside of some music and a few homages to Apocalypse Now.

The whole film felt muted. It didn't have any story or drama and outside of John C. Reilly, it steered clear of camp. A more muted Sam Jackson was an odd choice given that he's supposed to be on the verge of losing it. Shea Wiggam's character trait was... that he had mostly muted responses to crazy shit happening around him. Making matters worse, there were too many characters. You probably could have cut the cast in half and nobody would have noticed. The Dear Billy throughline didn't play.

Hiddleston and Brie Larson were wasted. Gerard Butler and any CW actress could have handled these roles no problem.

It's the epitome of Blunt Force Cinema. Outside of one moment, it's all March Forward and Fight! Almost no thought or clever plans. Dutch covering himself in mud to hide from The Predator is a step above anything in this movie.
720409, completely forgettable.
Posted by will_5198, Sun Mar-12-17 09:23 PM
not horrible, but I already cannot remember most of it.
740580, this is waaaay better than King of the Monsters.
Posted by Castro, Wed Feb-03-21 10:10 PM
The characters in this are forgettable, and the characters in KOTM you want to feed to Ghidorah.
720369, Jordan Vogt-Roberts was on Doug loves Movies
Posted by handle, Fri Mar-10-17 10:27 AM
http://douglovesmovies.com/
Jordan Vogt-Roberts, Scroobius Pip and Joe DeRosa guest, Mar 07, 2017

Dude sounds cool - and is a genre geek.
720583, peace to huey helicopters. 'the hell did i watch last night?
Posted by Flash80, Fri Mar-17-17 10:03 AM
sam jackson's campiest script ever. the stoic, grizzled vet just didn't work. it never does for him, especially not in his late 60's now as he stood there with clenched fists staring down kong.

hiddleston and his pecs were a set piece.. felt like he was auditioning for 007.

sorry, but those two cats are always gonna be eazy and dre to me.

what a hodgepodge of overcasting.

the spider scene was cool though.
740587, Damn, this was a banger! I hate all the negative reviews!
Posted by Nodima, Thu Feb-04-21 03:04 PM
I was so excited to see this in theaters but I let the bad-to-mediocre reception. I wasn't surprised to see practically all the people that loved Godzilla hated this and the people that were middling to down on it loved this. I think Skull Island's a little smarter than it's given credit for though, so now I guess I'm the asshole!

If the last 30 minutes were a little cleaner and some of the genre stuff weren't so egregious (we get it, Vietnam movies can drop the needle on period hits way too frequently - it makes NO sense here!) I'd say this was damn near perfect. It had a smart, concise message about the Vietnam War and the stories we tell ourselves to understand the mysteries of our lives, genuinely hilarious performances from Shea Whigham and John Goodman, stellar cinematography and sound design just like Godzilla, just an absolute treat honestly.

I just wish my screen were twelve times bigger and the sound ten times louder.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
740896, ...this movie was a BLAST...
Posted by Voodoochilde, Tue Mar-09-21 10:38 PM
...if you dint have fun in this one, you just dont wanna have fun....
740897, Not as much of an issue now, but pretty much everything cool
Posted by stylez dainty, Wed Mar-10-21 01:40 PM
was in the trailer. (Which was a great trailer). So seeing it with that fresh in my mind, there wasn't much else that made an impression.

But it's a fun movie. I think I need to give up on expecting too much of giant monster movies. There's been, what, maybe two of them that are truly great movies?

740908, see, I never watch trailers...
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Mar-13-21 08:12 AM
>was in the trailer. (Which was a great trailer). So seeing
>it with that fresh in my mind, there wasn't much else that
>made an impression.
>

I never watch trailers. never. (not til AFTER I see the actual movie)

>But it's a fun movie. I think I need to give up on expecting
>too much of giant monster movies. There's been, what, maybe
>two of them that are truly great movies?
>

im curious, which two are you referring to? (I have a few that come to my mind as ones that I really dig which I'll share, but im curious about which two you're thinkin about?)
740909, The original Godzilla and King Kong
Posted by stylez dainty, Sat Mar-13-21 01:52 PM
I need to rewatch the original King Kong to see if it holds up on its own merits or if it's more of a classic because of what a milestone it is.

The original Godzilla is a legitimately great movie. Very eerie and foreboding. In fact, my only knock against it is its undermined by the goofiness of the guy in the Godzilla suit. With the wacky tone of all the subsequent Godzilla movies (that I've seen) the rubber suits fit in better.

There are plenty of other giant monster movies that are fun, or with amazing effects, but none are even close to my top whatever list. Just never seem to get the story/characters right for a cohesive whole.
740923, RE: The original Godzilla and King Kong
Posted by Voodoochilde, Tue Mar-16-21 10:55 PM
ahhh ok, I was thinking you were talking about more recent flicks.
yeah, I love both of the originals too, and yep while its partly 'the nostalgia' of them, that nostalgia aside I still truly love them on their own as flicks. I think they hold up, and you're right about the original Godzilla having that eerie effect. And Im a big stop-motion fan so that gives me another reason to love the original Kong. (I also remember loving the original 'Mighty Joe Young' as a kid too, though I haven't seen it in ages so I don't know if that one holds up or not lol)

The two more modern era monster flicks I've really dug a lot were "The Host" (Korean movie from 2006) and "Cloverfield".

740932, RE: The original Godzilla and King Kong
Posted by stylez dainty, Thu Mar-18-21 02:32 PM
>
>The two more modern era monster flicks I've really dug a lot
>were "The Host" (Korean movie from 2006) and "Cloverfield".

I liked both of these, but it's been years and I haven't rewatched. I'm guessing The Host would still be a good watch, but Cloverfield would have me fast forwarding.

Now that I think about it, know what I think is one of the greatest giant monster movies ever made? Spielberg's War of the Worlds. It captures the terror of being chased by something huge in a way that I don't know if any movie ever has done as well. I came out of the theater and half expected to see Tripods on the horizon, it felt so real.
740944, yeah, War Of The Worlds was good..
Posted by Voodoochilde, Fri Mar-19-21 06:48 AM

>
>Now that I think about it, know what I think is one of the
>greatest giant monster movies ever made? Spielberg's War of
>the Worlds. It captures the terror of being chased by
>something huge in a way that I don't know if any movie ever
>has done as well. I came out of the theater and half expected
>to see Tripods on the horizon, it felt so real.
>

yeah I own both of versions of War Of The Worlds on blu, I dig both of them too. I agree with you on Spielbergs version....I LOVED it ALL the way up to the end. (I won't spoil it, but that last scene---I think it was the last scene---just took me out. After everything ELSE in the movie feeling visceral and 'real' and grounded (grounded in sci-fi flick terms)....that last scene I didn't find so plausible...but you're right, pretty much everything ELSE in that movie was right-on-point, and gave ya that 'real' feel...
741097, RE: Not as much of an issue now, but pretty much everything cool
Posted by howisya, Mon Apr-05-21 08:52 PM
besides the original, i have a soft spot for the '70s king kong. my glasses are too rose-tinted to declare it objectively great, but i rewatched it within the last 10 years and still really enjoyed it. i'd buy a blu-ray. i only saw it once, on a massive screen, but i loved peter jackson's remake. i think the sadness of the story resonates across iterations. i very recently rewatched the '80s godzilla movie (to be clear, i used to rent it in its american edit as godzilla 1985, but i finally saw it in its original incarnation as the return of godzilla). it's another i wouldn't go so far as to call truly great, but it remains a personal favorite. if you haven't seen it, in either version, it's a direct sequel to the original, visually dark, and melancholy. rewatching it decades later, i wondered how profound an impact it had on what i look for and get out of movies, because i was very young when i watched it. (i did always get a kick out of the "bambi meets godzilla" short that starts the tape.) to my recollection, skull island was heavy on big action scenes, which were certainly important in other kong movies. i'd rewatch it eventually, but i don't remember it seeming to aspire to the gravitas of either the '70s or '00s king kongs or even the first half of the 2010s godzilla, probably because it knew its primary audience didn't want that. if they'd taken the story a little more seriously (not even as much as the 2005), i might rave about it, but it didn't fully click for me.
741052, Rewatch.
Posted by bwood, Tue Mar-30-21 06:10 PM
This was great until the best character shows up which is John C. Reply. Then this thing turns into a quasi-Zack Snyder joint cause Jordan decided to ramp up his directorial style up too much. It was already highly stylized but fuck me man.

The post-credits scene felt forced as fuck.