Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI'm hopeful, but not fully convinced.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=714193&mesg_id=725044
725044, I'm hopeful, but not fully convinced.
Posted by stravinskian, Tue Sep-26-17 10:58 AM
I hate it when people complain about too much CGI, but I think they got a little silly with it here. There were whole sets (like the captain's ready room) that appeared to be completely green-screen and CGI. In retrospect I guess I see why they wouldn't have invested in sets for some of the rooms, but I think they could have been more convincing with what they did.

I also hate it when people complain about too much lens flare. But Jesus Christ, they must have just decided that Star Trek is about lens flare now.

Also, the acting felt odd to me, not very self assured, especially from such strong actors. It could have been in my mind, it could have been because there were so many other things going on, could have been the dialogue, could have been the sometimes-weird CGI or the overdramatic camera angles. I dunno. I'm not worried about that long-term -- if it's the actors they'll adjust, if it's me, I'll adjust.

I'm not a fan of what they've done with the Klingons, but I've never liked the Klingons. I like that they're speaking their own language, but it doesn't really count as realism when they're still obsessed with fighting with swords in the 23rd century.

I hope not every episode will involve a big battle scene. If they're looking for ratings, that hope is probably in vain. But the reason the Trekkies have been so hungry for a new series is so that the television medium will allow them to get into something deeper than that.

All that said, though, I did REALLY enjoy the first two episodes. I will let them go where they want to go with it before I jump to conclusions. I prejudged Enterprise and gave up on it almost immediately, only realizing years later that it was in many ways the best of all the series. I definitely trust Nicholas Meyer, even if he's only consulting. I'm paying for CBS All Access, and will continue to do so for some time after the show ends even if I don't end up liking it, just to support the idea of Star Trek on TV.