Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subject It's an entirely different beast than the comic.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=712337&mesg_id=714492
714492, It's an entirely different beast than the comic.
Posted by BigReg, Tue Aug-02-16 08:37 AM
The comic was very dark think Tarantino-esque humor where some topics were tackled seriously(abuse).

While the TV show can be dark its also so surreal to a cartoon level which blunts some of the darkness evident in the comic.

They had some great ideas in the tv show that imho makes it superior to the comic in some ways. But I go back to my biggest problem with the show; the plotting.

Blowing up the town we grew to know over the past ten weeks is a hilarious idea on paper and works well in the world they built.

However, considering how the first season came off unsure about plotting...I can't tell if (apparently) killing off every side character we grew to like making their storylines/characterizations moot was balsy or just shows you how worthless the whole exercise was.

To get to this point feels like something you could have covered in a two hour long pilot as opposed to a whole season.

And the thing is they did a great job with building this world with all these quirky motherfuckers; who saw Preacher and the S&M couple making up? The organist killing off the mayor, while a surprise, was a very interesting wrinkle to her story. Or even going deeper to what happens to a religious community when they know there's no higher power looking out for them?

Ill be watching next year; there's nothing like Preacher on tv, I just can't decide if I love it yet.