Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRE: i'm enjoying the show too, for the most part...but....LOL
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=712337&mesg_id=713809
713809, RE: i'm enjoying the show too, for the most part...but....LOL
Posted by Voodoochilde, Tue Jul-05-16 07:10 PM
>>some of the critiques I'm seeing perplex me...
>>maybe its a generational thing (i think i'm a little older
>>than a lot of okplayers here) but i just don't understand
>the
>>need for 'instant understanding' of whats going on in a
>story
>>line.
>>
>successful shows "work" because people wanna see what happens
>to the characters and the storyline therein.... just like any
>other show, there are people who are down with what's
>happening and others who feel like it could be better
>done....
>

well, yeah, thats what I'm saying too more or less. i opened with 'to each his own', and agree that its totally a preference thing. for example there are shows/movies that my younger sibling thinks are really amazing that i find way to predictable to hold my interest for long, and there shows/movies that i find interesting and exciting that he finds too 'obtuse' or 'slow moving'. ya like what you like, its a preference thing (may or may not be 'generational', i said that based on my own experiences). so yep, i fall into the category of the ones who are down with it in that i dont have any probz at all with the pace of 'reveal' going on in Preacher so far...

>>i mean really, There's only been a handful of episodes so
>far,
>>so i actually DONT expect to understand everything thats
>going
>>on. i DONT WANT to be able to expect to understand
>everything
>>thats going on or be able to predict where the plots are
>>going. i actually WANT the story to keep me at least
>somewhat
>>in the dark and curious, as it unfolds and reveals itself
>>throughout the season.
>>
>>thats how the best stories roll.
>>
>
>Breaking Bad, The Americans, Justified, The Wire, The Shield,
>The Expanse, Killjoys, Dark Matter, Better Call Saul, Game of
>Thrones, Daredevil, The Good Wife, Shameless, House of Cards,
>Orange Is the New Black, Lost.... none of them are doing what
>this show is doing, and that's fine...but many of these shows
>are considered good tyo great, so I'm NOT agreeing with this
>lane of storytelling we're getting on Preacher being how the
>best stories roll..... you don't have to understand everything
>(see: Lost), but the bigger audience does need to establish an
>affinity foor the storyline and where it could go with
>anticipation.... I'm not convinced that's happening on a
>bigger level here... I'M interested (sorta), and YOU are, but
>I'm not convinced most people are.... I think it's enough of
>an audience to to justify them keeping it on another season
>and letting that audience grow (see: Walking Dead), so THAT'S
>why we get another season, which is smart....
>

well yeah, i'm not saying your wrong, maybe most people ARENT interested enough in whats going on with Preacher, i don't know. i have no idea if Preacher is getting a big or small audience to be honest. I don't care really, (other than the fact that i obviously want it to get at LEAST enough of an audience to justify the studio allowing them to being able to COMPLETELY tell all of the story(ies) that they want to tell :)).

as for the shows you listed, i haven't seen a lot (most) of those, so i can't speak to how their 'pacing and reveal' compares. Again, i think we're agreeing that it comes down to each persons own taste for how much they feel like wanna 'know' or be 'shown' either overtly, covertly, or maybe only hinted at. My fave things tend to fall into digging the 'covertly' or 'maybe only hinted' at lane. That said, don't get it twisted...i DO like to 'feel' like the writers have a big picture & overall plan. Even in an ambiguously styled story presentation, i DO want the feeling like there is a method to the madness, and so far, Preacher HAS delivered on that for me. (for the record i bailed on "Lost" relatively early because, rightly or wrongly, i personally felt that the writers DIDNT REALLY have a sound enough plan for the story lines they started, i felt like they were just winging a lot of it. Maybe i was wrong, but for Lost, i didn't care ENOUGH about the story lines or characters to stick around for that one.). For Preacher, so far i DO care about both, so yeah, thats where my own personal pref's lean. In fact, when it comes down to it, I am really curious about the 'characters themselves' in Preacher as much as i am the 'overall plot line(s)'. I tend to lean that way in everything that i like a lot My priorities are FIRST give me 'believable' characters (or at least believable 'character motivations'), then the plot can come second.

oh and when i said 'thats how the best stories roll' i really meant that in a very general way...as in, the best stories (for ME) are the ones that don't lay all their cards on the table right away...the ones that kinda reveal themselves as if you are reading a novel, ya know what i'm saying?

>>this show is damn good.
>>its unpredictable (just when you THINK you know exactly
>whats
>>gonna happen next-left turn). Its excellently cast and
>>excellently acted.
>>Its funny, ass-kicking, cool, crazy.
>>AND on top of it all, the damn thing can be charming and
>have
>>heart. SOMEhow, in spite of its WAYyy over-the-top-ness
>>they've made me actually care about these characters.
>>
>I think other than slow rolling the main story, I totally
>agree...
>
>>glad it got a second season. count me in!
>>
>