Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectword, maybe it's just me...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=712324&mesg_id=712595
712595, word, maybe it's just me...
Posted by dula dibiasi, Fri May-27-16 06:06 PM
i understand the subversion angle and i feel that, but when it comes to diversity i'd much rather see us create our own new properties rather than retrofitting the race/gender/age/sexual orientation of pre existing characters (and the silly public debates that invariably follow)

again, no issue with it, wouldn't be against it, just not my preference. i'd have loved to have seen idris as bond (5-10 yrs ago) but would rather see him develop a brand new character in a new franchise and make it just as iconic. make a black james bond, rather than making james bond black.

it's like that notion held by so many white folks who are afraid of an increase in diversity because it necessarily means that they're "losing" something. they don't have to lose for us to gain. bond is fine as is. they can have THEY shit, just let us have ours too.

and for god's sake, don't cast a black actor "just because". idris is really the only guy i can think of who would've fit. some of the other names being thrown out just feel like ppl want a black actor in the discussion, whether he's right for the part or not.