Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectNow that I've seen it twice, here's my full review:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=710741&mesg_id=717005
717005, Now that I've seen it twice, here's my full review:
Posted by bwood, Mon Oct-31-16 01:39 PM
Doctor Stephen Strange shares a lot in common with the MCU godfather Tony Stark. They’re both arrogant assholes, are wealthy, both are very good at what they do, and both have the same tired origin story. Nevertheless, Doctor Strange is a great entry in the long in the tooth Marvel Cinematic Universe. It’s so fun, it’s pretty easy to overlook it’s flaws.

Doctor Stephen Strange (played by Benedict Cumberbatch) is a wealthy, rockstar neurosurgeon. After a horrific car accident, Stephen spends his fortune down to the last dollar trying to repair his hands. Spending his last dollars, he travels to Kamar-Taj meeting Karl Mordo (played by Chiwetel Ejiofor) and The Ancient One (played by Tilda Swinton). Under their tutelage, Strange becomes a sorcerer as former student Kaecilius (played by Mads Mikkelsen) seeks immortality at the expense of the destruction of Earth.

Without a doubt the highlight of the film is the “open your mind” sequence in which Strange is thrown through dimensions after the Ancient One opens his third eye. The sequence is visually like no other I’ve seen this year. It’s so inventive and psychedelic, I’m pretty sure that’s what being on ‘shrooms and acid is like (especially when you’re fully immersed in IMAX 3D). I know a lot of people have been saying that the moving buildings is a copy of Inception, but it takes the city folding and revolving hallways in that film one step further to create some of the most innovative action scenes I’ve seen in a while.

With that said, the film does lack the great story that Inception has. This is the typical MCU origin story that’s been done many times now. I understand why as the mystic arts is something that needs to be established through the new eyes of Stephen Strange and it’s something I feel we will see again with Captain Marvel, as we’ll have to established the cosmic powers of the MCU through Carol Danvers’ eyes, but they need to establish a new way of telling origin stories. One thing I liked about Thor, Ant-Man, Captain America: Civil War, and Guardians of the Galaxy is that the heroes are introduced and established with their powers already in tact and they’re learning how to be heroes in very different ways in those films. Along with that Kaecilius is another weak villain which is a huge disservice to Mads Mikkelsen. He’s a great actor who deserves more. Same can be said of Rachel McAdams, whose Christine Palmer is underused even if she’s the real hero of the film.

Scott Derrickson manages to breathe so much life into this film hitting the ground running and never lets up. He keeps things moving along all the while using CG to create a canvas that’s beautiful and awe inspiring with more emphasis on the mind than fisticuffs. As he’s doing so he manages to find the humanity in a lot of these characters as well as ensuring the actors are getting good performances from the stellar cast of thespians. As far as Tilda and the Ancient One go, I see where he’s coming from. The Ancient One is that stereotypical Asian character that is such a caricature it’s racist. At the same time, the character here is written so strongly that I think it could’ve worked with an Asian character despite it then being a huge stereotype of a mystical Asian in the Orient. Derrickson was in a damned if you do, damned if don’t situation. All that said Tilda gives great grace and wisdom to the Ancient One.

I’ve seen Doctor Strange twice now, both times in IMAX 3D (it was formatted for IMAX and 3D), and I’ll probably be seeing it again when it opens later this week. Is it the best Marvel film. No (that distinction is still this year’s Civil War), but it’s a movie I have fun with and enjoyed immensely. I cannot wait to see a sequel where now that magic is established Derrickson, Cumberbatch, and Ejiofor can dive deep into the weirdness of these characters and the world surrounding them. 2016 is a year where 99 percent of most big budget blockbusters had no intelligence, no heart, and no imagination. Doctor Strange has all of that plus the fun time you’d come to expect from Marvel.