Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectDoctor Strange (Scott Derrickson, 2016)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=710741
710741, Doctor Strange (Scott Derrickson, 2016)
Posted by bwood, Tue Apr-12-16 01:18 PM
Here's the first poster ahead of tonight's trailer:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/04/12/this-new-doctor-strange-poster-is-fantastic
710743, Kevin Feige Says ‘Doctor Strange’ Will Use 3D to Bend Your Mind
Posted by bwood, Tue Apr-12-16 01:21 PM
http://collider.com/doctor-strange-marvel-3d/

Marvel Studios proved they aren’t afraid to get a little weird with it when they took a chance on the largely unknown oddball property Guardians of the Galaxy, but the upcoming Doctor Strange movie promises to be the MCU’s most far out entry to date, introducing the realm of mysticism and magic as Benedict Cumberbatch‘s titular hero begins his journey to becoming the Sorcerer Supreme.

Directed by Sinister and The Exorcism of Emily Rose helmer Scott Derrickson, Doctor Strange has been teased as “Marvel’s Fantasia” and a “mind trip action film” that will “screw around with time“. Basically, it will indeed be strange, and that quality opens up a lot opportunity to stretch the visuals, including leveling up the MCU’s use of 3D.

While at the Captain America: Civil War junket, I spoke with Marvel Studios cheif Kevin Feige about plans to use 3D tech to enhance Doctor Strange‘s mind-bendy aspects. Here’s what he said when I asked if they were working on “next level 3D sequences”:

Yes, as a matter of fact. We were in VFX reviews the other day, one of the first ones for that movie — we just wrapped, we finished in New York…we did one of the first reviews and it was pretty exciting. It was pretty cool in terms of how 3D can serve that story. You know, sometimes 3D is a tool, like it is in Civil War, a tool of –another toy in the sandbox of how the Russos (Joe and Anthony) can present this movie, then there are times like what Disney is putting out with The Jungle Book –it’s certainly gonna be the case with Doctor Strange– that it serves the storytelling, that it advances the storytelling. And hopefully it helps bend people’s minds even more than with just the flat screen.

I’m not usually crazy about 3D, especially in Marvel films, which haven’t often necessitated the use of it, but if the studio wants to start embracing the technology as a means of storytelling, Doctor Strange seems an ideal movie to do it with. With Benedict Cumberbatch skipping around head-tripping dimensions, it’s a perfect opportunity to expand the MCU’s visual palette.

Here’s the official Doctor Strange synopsis.

“Doctor Strange” follows the story of neurosurgeon Doctor Stephen Strange who, after a horrific car accident, discovers the hidden world of magic and alternate dimensions.
710763, Doctor Strange - Trailer
Posted by j0510, Tue Apr-12-16 10:54 PM
Doctor Strange - Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwcSki7r9cQ
710765, sweet jesus
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Tue Apr-12-16 11:13 PM
Damn good teaser.....damn good

I never thought id see the day where Doctor Strange and Black Panther have their own movies. My mind is still blown by all of this.
710774, Teach Me!
Posted by Laz aka Black Native, Wed Apr-13-16 05:43 AM
710775, She...punched his fuckin soul out of his body....
Posted by JFrost1117, Wed Apr-13-16 06:48 AM
I'm in.

If this is Inception, I hope the 2nd one (lawd willin') is a full horror movie, done Marvel style.
710783, looks good
Posted by gumz, Wed Apr-13-16 08:57 AM
i know nothing about Dr. Strange...is his Kung Fu Master sifu actually a bald white woman in the comics? I immediately thought of David Carradine (being cast instead of Bruce Lee) when that popped up.
710786, You aren't the only one to think that way but no its not martial arts
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Wed Apr-13-16 09:25 AM
Its magic. However there is alot of ancient chinese mysticism in Dr Strange's lore. So thats fair.
710829, Ancient One who Tilda is playing was a man in the comics...and bald
Posted by tomjohn29, Wed Apr-13-16 07:54 PM
710922, RE: Tilda's casting
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Sun Apr-17-16 06:29 AM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/doc-strange-whitewashing-shell-884385

This week in cultural appropriation: Scarlett Johansson, Tilda Swinton and a conversation between two THR writers.

This week, Marvel dropped the first teaser trailer for Doctor Strange, based on its comic series about a critically-injured neurosurgeon who travels to the Himalayas to learn mystic arts from a powerful sorcerer known as the Ancient One. Two days later, Paramount and DreamWorks released the first image from Ghost in the Shell, their live-action adaptation of the Japanese manga about a anti-cyberterror task force set in mid-21st century Japan and led by cyborg Major Motoko Kusanagi.

On paper, it reads like a great week for Asian representation in Hollywood – but the Ancient One and the Major are played, respectively, by Tilda Swinton and Scarlett Johansson. And so these two projects – long awaited by many fans of their source material – instead join Gods of Egypt, Aloha and Pan as recent inductees to Hollywood's Whitewashing Hall of Shame.

Below, The Hollywood Reporter's Heat Vision blogger Graeme McMillan and senior reporter Rebecca Sun discuss the similar circumstances greeting the films so far.

Rebecca Sun: We braced ourselves when the castings were announced, but (just like that Nina trailer) the visual evidence still stung.

In flipping both race and gender to cast Swinton as a character who in the original comics is a Tibetan-born man, Marvel admirably went out of the box to correct one aspect of underrepresentation in its cinematic universe, but did so at the expense of another. Like its fellow Marvel franchise Iron Fist, it is steeped in cultural appropriation and centers around what Graeme previously noted as the "white man finds enlightenment in Asia" trope.

Give Hollywood partial credit for continuously trying to cleverly sidestep the Fu Manchu stereotype of characters like DC's Ra's al Ghul and Marvel's The Mandarin – but why is the solution consistently to re-imagine those characters with white actors (Liam Neeson in Christopher Nolan's Batman films and Guy Pearce in Iron Man 3, respectively)? The Doctor Strange movie doesn't need its Ancient One to look like Lo Pan in Big Trouble in Little China, but there are creative ways to interpret the character without yet again erasing an Asian person from an inherently Asian narrative.

Graeme McMillan: The casting of Strange is a very frustrating thing; it's not just the Ancient One that's racebent — Baron Mordo, a white man in the comics, is played by Chiwetel Ejiofor in the movie; you see him for an instant in the teaser — but it all seems to be done with little thought about the implications of the changes. While I'm happy to see a "white role" played by a black man in the movie, Ejiofor's casting reinforces the implications of Thor, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and the Iron Man movies that every white hero gets a black sidekick in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (see also Zoe Saldana in Guardians of the Galaxy, but there, she's painted green, because space).

Switching the Ancient One to Tilda Swinton feels similarly well-intentioned, but thoughtless. On the one hand, yes, you're trying to sidestep the stereotype present in the source material, but in the most lazy way short of making the character a white man. Wouldn't a younger Asian actor have offered enough of a play on the trope — not to mention a play on the character's name — while also avoiding the utter tone-deafness of having Strange head to Tibet in order to learn about enlightenment from another white English person.

Rebecca Sun: Too many stories, from Lawrence of Arabia to Avatar, relegate natives of a culture to background players and, at best, mentor, antagonist, love interest or sidekick. In Doctor Strange, Swinton fills the mentor role, Mads Mikkelsen is the villain and Rachel McAdams seems to be the damsel, leaving British actor Benedict Wong to play Dr. Strange's personal valet.

Of the four, he's the only one not glimpsed in the two-minute trailer, which mostly features Benedict Cumberbatch's Dr. Strange wandering through streets in Nepal and Hong Kong and learning magical martial arts from Swinton in a temple beautifully appointed with traditional Asian architectural features. In other words, Doctor Strange is a movie that looks very Oriental, except for the people part.

Graeme McMillan: To make matters worse — or, at least, more frustrating — there's the fact that, in the casting of Cumberbatch, Marvel managed to sidestep the possibility of offering up a non-white, non-male lead in one of its movies for the first time. Unlike, say, Iron Man or Captain America, there's nothing inherently gendered or racially-specific in the lead character's main concept — while it's unlikely that anyone other than a white man would be chosen to be the figurehead for the U.S. Army in WWII, or the head of a multinational arms manufacturer built up by his genius father, all that's really required of Dr. Strange is that they're a successful surgeon who suffers a terrible accident that sets them on a new path afterwards. That role, literally, could have gone to anyone.

That train of thought points me towards a theory put forward by comic writer Kurt Busiek on social media recently — namely, that Dr. Strange as a character is an early example of the comic book industry whitewashing itself. The idea, as Busiek lays it out, is that artist and co-creator Steve Ditko "conceived Doc Strange as a stock 'mysterious Asian mystic' type", and later actually changed his look after writer Stan Lee wrote an origin in which he was Caucasian.

It's a weird coincidence that offers a worrying excuse to those supporting Marvel's decision to whitewash the Ancient One for the movie: It has historical precedent! Perhaps Doctor Strange, for all its positioning as a project that opens up horizons to new realities and new possibilities, has an accidental metatextual purpose of demonstrating how tied to the safer, cowardly white "norms" entertainment can be.

Rebecca Sun: Which brings us to Ghost in the Shell and that first-look image of Scarlett Johansson this week. Ghost in the Shell (at least all previous iterations of it) also is set in Asia, albeit a very different one from that of Doctor Strange. There is no indication that the name of Johansson's protagonist has changed from the source material – IMDb still lists the character as "Kusanagi," although the press copy released alongside Thursday's image refers to her simply by her police rank, "the Major." That photo continued to send an ambiguous message – Johansson appears in a short black bob and darkened eyebrows, hewing closely to how Kusanagi is depicted in the comics.

Traditionally, this is a fan's greatest hope – an adaptation as faithful to the source material as possible. But in this case, Paramount/DreamWorks seem to have retained all the markers of Kusanagi's Japanese identity – her name, her basic physical appearance – except for the actual ethnicity of her portrayer. Perhaps the whitewashing controversy wouldn't have gone quite as viral had the producers cleanly erased all traces of the material's origins, as Edge of Tomorrow did in adapting the Japanese novel All You Need is Kill and anglicizing protagonist Keiji Kiriya into William Cage, played by Tom Cruise.

Graeme McMillan: The comparison to the (lack of) outrage met with Edge of Tomorrow is an interesting one, but perhaps a more appropriate one is the response to the multiple attempts to make a live-action Akira with non-Asian actors — which is to say, any of the numerous American attempts to make a live-action Akira. Both Akira and Ghost in the Shell are better-known properties than All You Need Is Kill — which started life as a prose novel, which arguably also allowed for more visual/racial deviation as a result — and so any attempt to move away from the (to fans) iconic elements of the original are likely to be met with, at the very best, apathy or dismay. Add in the implied racism of casting only Caucasian actors, and you have something seems utterly guaranteed to upset almost everyone.

By far the strongest response I've seen to the Ghost in the Shell casting comes from indie comic writer Jon Tsuei on Twitter, where he argued that the story is "inherently a Japanese story, not a universal one" because of the context in which it was created, specifically the cultural relationship the country had with technology, and how that feeds into the characters' relationships with tech in the story.

I'm not entirely sold on that line of thinking, I admit — in part because I think that the relationship with technology has become a universal thing in the decades since the original manga was published 27 years ago — but it touches on the degree to which the story is interconnected with the culture in which it first appeared. Watching filmmakers misunderstand that to such a degree as they appear to have in casting alone doesn't really offer much hope that they'll manage to handle the themes of the story with any greater sensitivity.

Rebecca Sun: The reaction to Johansson's Ghost in the Shell look reminds me of the backlash when the Nina Simone biopic starring Zoe Saldana was released last month. In both cases, the filmmakers went to some lengths to alter the appearance of their leading ladies, rather than cast actresses who more naturally matched the subjects. What makes these two examples different from the countless instances of actors transforming themselves for a role – Steve Carell in Foxcatcher, Nicole Kidman in The Hours – is that Asian women and dark-skinned black women rarely get to be the leads in Hollywood movies. So whitewashing any Asian character is unfortunate, but keeping the character Asian-ish (but not actually Asian) is salt on the wound.

Many online commenters have trumpeted Oscar nominee Rinko Kikuchi as the ideal live-action Kusanagi – no one has come closer than her to doing it already, as robot pilot Mako Mori in Pacific Rim. Many other actresses of Asian descent have been mentioned as well, but the harsh truth is that their combined star wattage doesn't even come close to touching Johansson's.

And therein lies the problem: A Kikuchi (who is four years older than Johansson) – or a similar Asian-American actress – couldn't have debuted as the daughters of John Ritter and Sean Connery, as Johansson did in her early films. She likely wouldn't have gotten her big break as an equestrian-loving teen in Montana opposite Robert Redford in The Horse Whisperer. (She might have made a good Rebecca in Ghost World.) She couldn't have effectively played an outsider in Tokyo in Lost in Transition, which catapulted her to stardom, or a Dutch painter's muse in Girl with a Pearl Earring, or Woody Allen's muse in Match Point, Scoop or Vicky Cristina Barcelona. She couldn't have played a London magician's assistant in The Prestige or Mary Boleyn in The Other Boleyn Girl. And most of all, she never, ever would have been cast as the Black Widow in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

So how does an Asian actor become famous enough to play an Asian character? Judging by Speed Racer (starring Emile Hirsch), Dragonball Evolution (starring Shameless' Justin Chatwin), Ghost in the Shell and the upcoming Death Note (starring Nat Wolff), Hollywood has yet to answer the question.

710789, i guess they cant really shoot this one like a tv show.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Apr-13-16 10:09 AM
710815, didn't care for any of this. hope there's some humor tho
Posted by Hellyeah, Wed Apr-13-16 02:52 PM
why so serious?
710817, Ooooooooooo
Posted by ceeq9, Wed Apr-13-16 02:53 PM
710819, Looks good to me
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Apr-13-16 03:01 PM
710770, Looks like Marvel's version of Inception....
Posted by natenate101, Wed Apr-13-16 12:39 AM
And that's not a negative thing. Should be interesting.
710830, definitely *another* copy of Inception's trailer...
Posted by will_5198, Wed Apr-13-16 11:49 PM
although every studio has ripped off the "dramatic siren cue" thing Nolan did there
710825, DC gotta be shaking
Posted by xangeluvr, Wed Apr-13-16 05:44 PM
Everything Marvel is looking damn good right now. DC gotta be nervous after the lackluster BvS. Never thought I'd be interested in a Doc Strange movie, but I'll be damned if I'm not excited after that trailer.
710845, Looks interesting. A little nervous about the Cumberaccent
Posted by SoulHonky, Thu Apr-14-16 12:09 PM
Kind of wish they just kept him as British but we'll see how he does.

Story-wise, from the little I know, it seems like this might follow the Green Lantern storyline (with Mordo in the Sinestro slot) except hopefully with a better villain in Mads Mikkelsen than a nebulous cloud. It'll be hard to handle that story worse than Green Lantern so that's not really a knock on it.

Definitely interested in this one and I hope that Marvel keeps moving away from just straight forward action flicks with their films.

Definitely going to check this one out.
710860, I read DS as British for some reason.
Posted by JFrost1117, Thu Apr-14-16 10:12 PM
Still knowing he's from Philly.
710863, Probably because he looks like he's supposed to sound British.
Posted by The Wordsmith, Thu Apr-14-16 10:30 PM

Since 1976
710864, He's probably on some Madonna shit.
Posted by JFrost1117, Thu Apr-14-16 11:46 PM
He said "Oh, blessed Vishanti" in the latest All New X-Men, and I was like, how am I supposed to hear this in a non-British accent?
710911, I think he should have that prim and proper American accent....
Posted by The Wordsmith, Sat Apr-16-16 12:58 PM
....like Frasier and Niles Crane had. It sounds close to a British accent and could possibly fit Dr. Strange.

Since 1976
710909, Yo I thought I was the only one. The magic words he uses
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Sat Apr-16-16 09:49 AM
sounds better in my head with a british accent.
714257, This new trailer tho nigga
Posted by bwood, Sat Jul-23-16 08:32 PM
https://youtu.be/HSzx-zryEgM
714258, damn that shit look wild.
Posted by Reeq, Sat Jul-23-16 08:42 PM
714259, Them buildings, though. I'm in.
Posted by The Wordsmith, Sat Jul-23-16 09:13 PM

Since 1976
714264, Yo
Posted by xangeluvr, Sun Jul-24-16 02:58 AM
Seriously...

Looks great. My only reservation is I'm not sure about the costume.

714293, it's so hot, but the Ancient One sounds so wack
Posted by bshelly, Mon Jul-25-16 11:05 AM
i barely care it's a white woman at this point. that "I am a WIZENED ELDER who will SHOW YOU the secrets *poignant pause* of the universe" voice is so fucking played out. I'm really worried it's going to ruin what otherwise looks like an A++++ for me.
714391, i picked a shit time to stop smokin.
Posted by araQual, Thu Jul-28-16 11:30 PM
that looks hot.

V.
714283, they'll need an a+ marketing campaign to make the general audience
Posted by Hellyeah, Mon Jul-25-16 06:32 AM
care about this

so far this is a rent for me..the inception similarities are off putting
714289, lol
Posted by Ceej, Mon Jul-25-16 09:23 AM
714290, I 2nd that. nm
Posted by bwood, Mon Jul-25-16 09:48 AM
714291, Inception did about 300M domestic. And this will be more fun.
Posted by Tiger Woods, Mon Jul-25-16 10:12 AM
So, no.
714292, Do you *know* you're 100% wrong about this?
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Jul-25-16 10:22 AM
And you're just saying it to ruffle feathers, or do you actually believe that?

714295, lulz
Posted by dula dibiasi, Mon Jul-25-16 11:29 AM
714306, All they gotta do is put 'Inception by Marvel' and it will print money
Posted by BigReg, Mon Jul-25-16 03:29 PM
714319, same thing was said about Deadpool and GotG, and Antman
Posted by justin_scott, Tue Jul-26-16 12:40 AM
714390, no. they won't.
Posted by araQual, Thu Jul-28-16 11:06 PM
V.
714392, I mean, without the cult of Blizzard behind it...
Posted by SoulHonky, Thu Jul-28-16 11:42 PM
Pretty sure with an F- ad campaign it could beat Warcraft's domestic take.
714396, Oh shit!
Posted by bwood, Fri Jul-29-16 07:50 AM
HAHAHAHAHA
714394, the cast alone will put asses in seats
Posted by Madvillain 626, Fri Jul-29-16 03:14 AM
714395, They have one. It's the word "Marvel."
Posted by CaptNish, Fri Jul-29-16 06:45 AM
714407, they got Ant Man over, dog
Posted by bshelly, Fri Jul-29-16 01:45 PM
Ant Man.

they gonna need a couple duds in a row before people stop coming. I swore up and down the backlash was coming with Ant Man and Winter Soldier, and then they knocked both clear out the park.
714404, I stopped thinking Marvel would eventually bomb
Posted by ThaAnthology, Fri Jul-29-16 12:47 PM
when Guardians and Ant-Man became two of my favorites of the whole set. Aloof, unknown (relatively) characters are still a win when Marvel is involved.

I mean, it's not like this is A Zach Snyder ensemble.
714406, agree completely, and it was Civil War for me
Posted by Tiger Woods, Fri Jul-29-16 01:01 PM
I just thought there was absolutely no way such a big ensemble could be managed without the movie becoming a mess. It felt like they were out of ideas. And I could not have been more wrong, it was a masterpiece.

I'm done doubting those guys.
717087, I finally watched Ant-Man for the first time....
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Nov-02-16 11:01 AM
literally like two days ago. Been feenin' to watch it since I saw Civil War in the theaters and saw his insane cameo in That Scene. Really fun movie.

Just finished reading the PTP Ant-Man thread, initially started in 2012. It's interesting seeing the back and forth discussion when Ant-Man was first announced and knowing what we know now. Still huge skepticism surrounding Ant-Man and the MCU in general in those early posts.

716416, This movie is dope AF
Posted by bwood, Mon Oct-10-16 12:27 PM
More later but my advice is to see twice. Once sober and once on Kush.

I'm going to get me some Kush for my 2nd screening closer to release.

Oh and mos def cop IMAX tickets. More than an hour is formatted for it and the 3D was insane b.
716421, fuck you
Posted by xangeluvr, Mon Oct-10-16 01:40 PM
haha, not really friend, but dammit you got me excited.

its just that i'm now living in a country WITH NO MOVIE THEATERS. ughhhh...i have no idea when i'm gonna get to see this, especially on IMAX. maybe never with IMAX.
716422, !!!
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Mon Oct-10-16 02:57 PM
716445, I caught 15 mins of it last night, including the "Open your eyes" scene
Posted by CaptNish, Tue Oct-11-16 06:34 AM
Fuck. IMAX/3d *and* weed might be the death of me!
717005, Now that I've seen it twice, here's my full review:
Posted by bwood, Mon Oct-31-16 01:39 PM
Doctor Stephen Strange shares a lot in common with the MCU godfather Tony Stark. They’re both arrogant assholes, are wealthy, both are very good at what they do, and both have the same tired origin story. Nevertheless, Doctor Strange is a great entry in the long in the tooth Marvel Cinematic Universe. It’s so fun, it’s pretty easy to overlook it’s flaws.

Doctor Stephen Strange (played by Benedict Cumberbatch) is a wealthy, rockstar neurosurgeon. After a horrific car accident, Stephen spends his fortune down to the last dollar trying to repair his hands. Spending his last dollars, he travels to Kamar-Taj meeting Karl Mordo (played by Chiwetel Ejiofor) and The Ancient One (played by Tilda Swinton). Under their tutelage, Strange becomes a sorcerer as former student Kaecilius (played by Mads Mikkelsen) seeks immortality at the expense of the destruction of Earth.

Without a doubt the highlight of the film is the “open your mind” sequence in which Strange is thrown through dimensions after the Ancient One opens his third eye. The sequence is visually like no other I’ve seen this year. It’s so inventive and psychedelic, I’m pretty sure that’s what being on ‘shrooms and acid is like (especially when you’re fully immersed in IMAX 3D). I know a lot of people have been saying that the moving buildings is a copy of Inception, but it takes the city folding and revolving hallways in that film one step further to create some of the most innovative action scenes I’ve seen in a while.

With that said, the film does lack the great story that Inception has. This is the typical MCU origin story that’s been done many times now. I understand why as the mystic arts is something that needs to be established through the new eyes of Stephen Strange and it’s something I feel we will see again with Captain Marvel, as we’ll have to established the cosmic powers of the MCU through Carol Danvers’ eyes, but they need to establish a new way of telling origin stories. One thing I liked about Thor, Ant-Man, Captain America: Civil War, and Guardians of the Galaxy is that the heroes are introduced and established with their powers already in tact and they’re learning how to be heroes in very different ways in those films. Along with that Kaecilius is another weak villain which is a huge disservice to Mads Mikkelsen. He’s a great actor who deserves more. Same can be said of Rachel McAdams, whose Christine Palmer is underused even if she’s the real hero of the film.

Scott Derrickson manages to breathe so much life into this film hitting the ground running and never lets up. He keeps things moving along all the while using CG to create a canvas that’s beautiful and awe inspiring with more emphasis on the mind than fisticuffs. As he’s doing so he manages to find the humanity in a lot of these characters as well as ensuring the actors are getting good performances from the stellar cast of thespians. As far as Tilda and the Ancient One go, I see where he’s coming from. The Ancient One is that stereotypical Asian character that is such a caricature it’s racist. At the same time, the character here is written so strongly that I think it could’ve worked with an Asian character despite it then being a huge stereotype of a mystical Asian in the Orient. Derrickson was in a damned if you do, damned if don’t situation. All that said Tilda gives great grace and wisdom to the Ancient One.

I’ve seen Doctor Strange twice now, both times in IMAX 3D (it was formatted for IMAX and 3D), and I’ll probably be seeing it again when it opens later this week. Is it the best Marvel film. No (that distinction is still this year’s Civil War), but it’s a movie I have fun with and enjoyed immensely. I cannot wait to see a sequel where now that magic is established Derrickson, Cumberbatch, and Ejiofor can dive deep into the weirdness of these characters and the world surrounding them. 2016 is a year where 99 percent of most big budget blockbusters had no intelligence, no heart, and no imagination. Doctor Strange has all of that plus the fun time you’d come to expect from Marvel.
717061, Is this movie fine for kids?
Posted by RobOne4, Tue Nov-01-16 05:00 PM
Sorry didnt read the review I want to go in surprised. But my son really wants to see it. He is 7. He has seen every marvel release. Antman, Civil War, and The first Iron Man are his favorites. I just feel like this story is going to bore him. You think kids will enjoy this?
717070, just give him some acid or DMT
Posted by justin_scott, Tue Nov-01-16 10:26 PM
and he'll love it
717198, RE: Is this movie fine for kids?
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Nov-05-16 04:54 PM
>Sorry didnt read the review I want to go in surprised. But my
>son really wants to see it. He is 7. He has seen every marvel
>release. Antman, Civil War, and The first Iron Man are his
>favorites. I just feel like this story is going to bore him.
>You think kids will enjoy this?

first off, your kid has great taste in movies, so good job in raising a smart one there :) (if you'd have said the FIRST Cap movie was ALSO one of his faves, he & I would be in 100% agreement :) I STILL love the first Cap flick and the first Iron Man...those hold up very well over time.

Now, for Doc Strange, yeah, i think this could be somewhat fun for a youngin'...its a bit trippy, true, but not so much that it would lose a kids interest. (especially a smart one :) And.., to be intentionally vague to keep this spoiler free.... I'm pretty sure he'll at least dig the last accessory that Strange adds to his costume :)
717071, Mads would have been a PERFECT Doom
Posted by Madvillain 626, Tue Nov-01-16 11:41 PM
Damn, if only Marvel had the rights to FF...
717216, oh dang you're right...
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sun Nov-06-16 08:50 AM
>RE: Mads would have been a PERFECT Doom Damn, if only Marvel had the rights to FF...>

Mads as Doom would be a nice fit indeed

have you listened to
her stuff?
v
https://www.facebook.com/officialmeshell?fref=ts
http://www.meshell.com/site/
http://www.freemyheart.com

RIP David Williams:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Williams_(guitarist)
717073, Another win for Marvel
Posted by IslaSoul, Wed Nov-02-16 12:42 AM

Sits comfortably somewhere in my top 5 favorite Marvel movies.
Benedict Cumberbatch is great as Strange.
717157, I'll try to keep this spoiler free, but the after credit scene(s)!!!!
Posted by Sleepy, Thu Nov-03-16 10:11 PM
My interest is definitely piqued...

I just wish Chiwetel had more to do. They really made the character of the Ancient One really strong.

Also...this is a really trippy film. That open your eyes sequence is wild even without 3D. If you have motion sickness or get queasy, you may need to sit this film out. This film is pretty fun though. The Cloak of Levitation is dope too. Seeing all of these magic relics brought to life was great.
717166, RE: I'll try to keep this spoiler free, but the after credit scene(s)!!!!
Posted by Boogiedwn, Fri Nov-04-16 08:58 AM
part two should fix that

>I just wish Chiwetel had more to do
717158, It's great. Mos def doing a stoned 3D trek.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Nov-04-16 12:44 AM
717159, See y'all. Longo agrees.
Posted by bwood, Fri Nov-04-16 07:23 AM
Get as high as you can and then IMAX 3D it.
717189, htting the pax 2 and goin to universal city
Posted by Madvillain 626, Sat Nov-05-16 02:10 AM
im pumped
717191, Question my dude, should I cop a Pax 2?
Posted by bwood, Sat Nov-05-16 06:18 AM
Been thinking about getting one since forever.
717234, Yep.
Posted by Madvillain 626, Mon Nov-07-16 12:08 AM
Only 200 bucks now, comes with a 10 year warranty. Hits clean and covert as hell.

717197, I probably enjoyed this more cause idk shit about Doc Strange
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sat Nov-05-16 04:48 PM
but that sure ain't the Dormammu I'm used to from Mac lol.

Great flick tho.
717199, good trippy fun! going again to see in Imax 3d next...
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Nov-05-16 05:03 PM
as much fun as the trippy stuff was, i was actually getting into the early pat of the movie while he was still a doctor! i actually wanted to spend some more time in that world BEFORE he becomes all magicy. Marvel mostly always does a good job cultivating their characters first, and they did that again here...so much so that i woulda been ok seeing MORE of the actual DOCTOR strange than we did, go figure :)

but yeah man, i dug it. it was fun and solid through & through.
i've got nothing bad to say about it at all really.
i came out of this like i came out of Ant Man...went in with no expectations, but left thoroughly entertained, caring about the characters, and curious enough about the world they created to want to explore it more in the future...

have you listened to
her stuff?
v
https://www.facebook.com/officialmeshell?fref=ts
http://www.meshell.com/site/
http://www.freemyheart.com

RIP David Williams:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Williams_(guitarist)
717203, If you have to get high to enjoy a movie shit is SUS
Posted by 81 DUN, Sat Nov-05-16 06:01 PM
Y'all on some bullshit
717205, I saw it sober in 2D and enjoyed the shit out of it.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Nov-05-16 06:42 PM
I'm just saying that I think the shit would be next level if you got stoned and did IMAX 3D.
717208, You acting like we go see every movie stoned
Posted by bwood, Sat Nov-05-16 08:09 PM
And for the ones I do see/recommend high it's usually my 2nd or 3rd time.

717204, I was very bored by this film
Posted by kwez, Sat Nov-05-16 06:18 PM
Loved the origin story but hated pretty much everything after he got the cape.

717212, Most disappointed I've been after a Marvel film....maybe ever
Posted by Orbit_Established, Sat Nov-05-16 10:43 PM

That doesn't mean this is BAD.

That just means they could have done much more with his.

It's not the WORST Marvel movie.

It might be the biggest letdown, tho.

Fine movie, I guess.

But sheesh: some AWFUl writing and pacing and storytelling
in a story that is pretty slam dunk:

Just write a cliche-driven movie about finding yourself,
put some cool 'Inception' type imagery, and you have a slam
dunk.

Somehow they managed to fuck this this...or maybe not "fuck
it up"....but definitely not nail it.

717214, Maybe a necessity?
Posted by xangeluvr, Sun Nov-06-16 06:19 AM
Maybe in introducing the spirit world they didn't wanna take a chance and go too far out with the story. I haven't seen it so I don't know but maybe that's why they played it a bit safe.
717218, No, I mean the writing is actually just bad.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Sun Nov-06-16 09:07 AM
>Maybe in introducing the spirit world they didn't wanna take
>a chance and go too far out with the story. I haven't seen it
>so I don't know but maybe that's why they played it a bit
>safe.

Cumberbatch is one of the most respected actors in Hollywood.
This movie has astral plans and dimensions and magic and all
kinds of bells and whistles.

And it tells a story that almost put me to sleep.

Again: This is not a BAD movie. It might be GOOD. In fact,
I'm not a hater, so I'll called it GOOD.

But I was wincing at how much better someone else could have
done this.

Again: A-list, actor extraordinaire. Special effects doe.
Compelling story and character. This shit COULD have been like
the original Iron Man-level goodl

717245, I liked it, but I get what you mean
Posted by BigReg, Mon Nov-07-16 10:52 AM
The plotting/pacing was a weird hybrid. Its like they felt like they had to do a origin story which makes sense, most people dont know who the fuck Dr.Strange is.

At the same time, they rushed/short cutted their way through the whole thing as if they were bored with telling origin stories themselves so it just felt awkward...like a superhero movie done by Cliff Notes. Its as if they were like, fuck it, the Marvel audience knows what's happening, lets fastforwad through all this shit so we can get to Doctor Strange 2 and avenger movies.

It's a shame because some of those character beats I thought were better then other movies (the still very fucking disposable girlfriend character was stronger then they usually are, adult Harry Potter school had plenty of potential, etc).

I enjoyed it though, but it should have been a higher tier Marvel movie as opposed to a solid non-summer blockbuster flick.

717279, I think Dr. Strange is a tough origin story to tell.
Posted by SoulHonky, Tue Nov-08-16 02:15 AM
It's like if The Matrix was called "The One" and you knew and were waiting for Neo to become The One the whole time.
Everyone knows Dr. Strange is going to become Dr. Strange so spending more time on his training is tougher to pull off. You have to show him lose his ego, and then take to the training, and then start questioning the direction and getting cocky again and pushing the limits. The movie definitely took a cliff notes approach but I'm really not sure how much the full story would have improved things since most people would just be waiting for him to become Dr. Strange already. Also, it's a pretty cliched story; it's The Matrix without anyone even looking for The One.

This was probably the toughest origin story to try to fit into the Marvel brand style. Cap, Iron Man, Ant-Man don't really change much personality-wise. Thor had to learn to be humble but he got to learn that on Earth and not in training sessions and that storyline had more connection to the villain (Loki). Maybe they could have shown Madds doing more and been more active ala Loki but it wouldn't have had the same connection since Strange was just another recruit.
717266, oh i see
Posted by xangeluvr, Mon Nov-07-16 02:44 PM
yeah, if that true i can see your point.
717220, Here's how to think about Dr. Strange: It's the Anti-Antman
Posted by Orbit_Established, Sun Nov-06-16 09:23 AM

Antman was a character no one cared about. It had cool
special effects, but relatively few bells and whistles.

And it was one of the best Marvel movies because it was in
the right hands: The writers had the EXACT tone, right senses.
It was directed VERY well. It was a huge overachiever.

Dr. Strange had a TON going for it that Antman didn't:
ELITE actor. EASY story to tell. Bells and whistles.

And they fumbled it and almost lost it. They didn't...but
I'm watching the movie kinda like "WTF?"

Like I just said: this movie should have been original Ironman
good.

You have an actor as talented as RDJ. A compelling story.

Missed opportunity for Marvel.

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "
717227, ok...so i KINDA see what you're point is...
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sun Nov-06-16 02:19 PM
>
>Antman was a character no one cared about. It had cool
>special effects, but relatively few bells and whistles.
>
>And it was one of the best Marvel movies because it was in
>the right hands: The writers had the EXACT tone, right
>senses.
>It was directed VERY well. It was a huge overachiever.
>
>Dr. Strange had a TON going for it that Antman didn't:
>ELITE actor. EASY story to tell. Bells and whistles.
>
>And they fumbled it and almost lost it. They didn't...but
>I'm watching the movie kinda like "WTF?"
>
>Like I just said: this movie should have been original
>Ironman
>good.
>
>You have an actor as talented as RDJ. A compelling story.
>
>Missed opportunity for Marvel.
>

first, as i mentioned above i went in with little or no expectations and came out entertained and curious enough to want to see more....it was good. it definitely wasn't 'bad'. it was genuinely good.

but, i guess if you think about the quality of the cast, then yeah, it really has the PEDIGREE and ingredients to be one of them GREAT ones...i think it starts out that way (again, as mentioned above, i actually wanted to see a little MORE of him in his true 'Doctor (surgeon) stage' of life BEFORE he gets his mystical stuff...i understand why they didn't spend more time there obviously (ya got 90 minutes or so to get through everything so they can't stay there forever)...but i thought the early part was very well done...

overall i was pleased. no i didn't come out of it COMPLETELY WOWing like i did Iron Man 1 (and a few other Marvel flicks), but i did came out of it feeling satisfied with NO real bad taste in my mouth at all, i didn't feel jipped. Worth my bucks.

I'm going to see it again, so we'll see how viewing 2 leaves me...
717248, the didn't quite nail the usual Marvel tone to me. They got close though.
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Mon Nov-07-16 11:12 AM
Some of the jokes were mistimed or fell flat. But on a scale of 1-10, they got like 8 max on the Marvel tone scale.

cscpov.blogspot.com

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"
717224, ...but he knocked the ipad off the table...
Posted by KingMonte, Sun Nov-06-16 01:21 PM
717230, I really enjoyed it
Posted by go mack, Sun Nov-06-16 06:41 PM
saw in in 2D, plan to take my son to it and see it again in 3D

I really knew very little about the character except from The Avengers cartoon from a few years ago. It was funnier than I expected, action scenes were dope. I don't know where I'd rank it, probably upper tier of solo flicks somewhere.

yes I was stoned but I generally always smoke before going to movies with friends, wore off half way thru tho but still enjoyed it.

717237, It looked great.
Posted by walihorse, Mon Nov-07-16 08:58 AM
It was good overall.
717239, it was okay
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Mon Nov-07-16 09:27 AM
good popcorn flick
717242, THIS was a wild fun movie
Posted by 13Rose, Mon Nov-07-16 10:22 AM
Super funny. I didn't expect to laugh as much as I did. The visuals were amazing and made me want to watch it on mushrooms. If only I did drugs man...

Marvel hit this one out the park. Another banger for the home team. I was never really into Dr. Strange growing up but I'm reading the Infinity Gauntlet now and it's a fun story. It was cool to have some level of familiarity before watching the film. There was some suspension of disbelief going on for sure but not enough to ruin the film.

Well done.
717273, $325 million made worldwide. $85 in the US.
Posted by justin_scott, Mon Nov-07-16 11:38 PM
717274, Between the Captain America extra and the post-credits scene here,
Posted by JFrost1117, Tue Nov-08-16 12:38 AM
Thor is cementing himself as a top-notch, grade-A asshole.

"I guess Earth has wizards now" is so fuckin' condescending.
717278, Had low expectations, highly enjoyed it.
Posted by SoulHonky, Tue Nov-08-16 01:21 AM
Honestly, the biggest disappointment for me, on a certain level, was the visuals. There was some very cool stuff in it but I thought a large part of it seemed kind of cartoonish. Which, I know, I know, it's a comic book but I was expecting more.

I could see why fans of the character might be disappointed, especially since they kind of Marvel-ized him, with the quips and what not, but that brand still works for me so I didn't mind it. I'm glad they downplayed the love story angle. The backwards fight scene was great although I felt they could have done more with it. It's definitely a film that has a lot of room for improvement but since I was expecting a lesser Marvel film, I was happy enough with a middle of the pack flick.