Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRE: This is what I'm talking about, though.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=709822&mesg_id=710727
710727, RE: This is what I'm talking about, though.
Posted by Calico, Tue Apr-12-16 09:17 AM

>I don't need every superhero movie to be a "let's just have a
>goofy fun time!" jam. But I do need basic storytelling shit to
>work.
>
>It just so happens that the studio currently making the "goofy
>fun time" superhero movies are also the ones who are putting
>character first and storytelling first (for the most part). If
>Marvel said they were making a movie with a pitch-black tone--
>let's say they said Dr. Strange will be that way-- I would
>trust them, because of their track record with character and
>storytelling. If DC said they were making a movie with a
>super-light-goofy tone? I'm not sure that would give me a
>sense of relief, unless I felt the movie was in the hands of a
>good storyteller.

but there are ONLY 2 "goofy fun time" movies in Marvel Studios vault though... GOTG and Ant-Man.... The rest of the movies, even those two, deal with some very dark themes and elements....It's a superhero movie... Unless it's Watchmen or MAYBE Batman, there should be a balance of light and dark (and before THAT argument even starts, I'd point to Tim Burton's Batman for an example of such)... It SHOULD be a fun watch that makes you think, and when I say "think" I don't mean leaves you confused.... Nolan's Bat movies work for the most part because he explores themes to make the audience think in this Dark World that Gotham SHOULD be... A "dark" Superman movie has never gone over well, and it shouldn't... parts of it can be dark, but to make the whole affair a dreary one means the people involved really don't know or care about the character...it can be done in the comics, but not the movies...