Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectWe are in total agreement.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=709822&mesg_id=710650
710650, We are in total agreement.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Apr-10-16 01:16 PM
The storytelling is clearly the main problem.

I was just responding to OldPro's comment that he felt people were primarily complaining that the dark tone was the reason why the movie doesn't work, that they should try to emulate Marvel's tone more. And my point was merely that if Zack Snyder or a storyteller of Snyder's meager caliber had done a BvS movie perfectly nailing Marvel's tone, it *still* would've sucked, because the storytelling and characters would've been shit. The tone is really only a problem because if you're watching a movie with shitty storytelling, shitty characters, and mediocre action, a tone that takes the awful proceedings very seriously is the icing on the cake.

Or, to put it another way, if DC's execs and filmmakers put the same love and attention into the characters and stories in their dark movies that Marvel's do in their light movies, no one would complain about the tone at all.

Sorry, didn't mean to come across antagonistic above. I just think whenever people tweet about how making DC movies more "fun" and jokey would immediate solve the problem, they're missing that you can still have a movie with a light tone that super sucks.