Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectHere is a small list of things that were bad:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=709822&mesg_id=709990
709990, Here is a small list of things that were bad:
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Mar-25-16 06:56 PM
1. Faraci pointed out the thing that irritated me the most: the utter lack of narrative cohesion between scenes. That Perry scene in which he yells "Where is Kent?" has no function, because it has no narrative payoff. They set up the Bat/Supes fight... only to interrupt it with Wonder Woman watching Quicktime videos on her computer for eight minutes. I was genuinely confused by the storytelling on display.

2. The characters show no consistency. Luthor as Max Landis is fun, but it's not good character development. The tone of the performances alters vastly from scene to scene. Speaking of which...

3. The tone is also crazy inconsistent. They want things to be deathly serious some scenes, then you get hammy Lex Luthor dropping fun monologues, then back to deathly seriousness, then you get horrible awful Fantastic Four level comic book one-liners ("I thought she was with you!" "I thought she was with you!").

4. There are fifteen full minutes of dream sequences here. Maybe more.

5. The action is either incomprehensibly edited (the Batmobile chase) or repetitive (heavy punch, recipient crashes through some shit, gets up, another heavy punch, wash, rinse, repeat).

6. The movie spends a good hour and a half on Luthor's plan to "frame Superman for killing all these people," but that completely goes away in the final hour, when Luthor's plan consists of "make a bad CGI abomination, shove Lois off a building for some reason, force Superman to kill Batman or Martha dies." The brilliant Lex Luthor I'm familiar with would've come up with a waaaaaaaay smarter and more coherent plan than this. But coherence isn't this film's strong suit.

7. Doomsday.

8. I hate when comic book movies kill someone that you *know* is coming back. This movie has the same ending as League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Don't spend twenty minutes trying to get me to care about Clark's death when I know he'll be back next movie.

There are individual scenes that are good, but the first two hours is just a random smattering of scenes with little to no narrative connection. The movie's problem isn't that it's dark, and it isn't that "this type of hero doesn't work" or whatever bullshit gets trotted out. It's not a DC thing: it's a Snyder thing. He's engaging in buckshot filmmaking here-- toss literally everything at the wall, hope some things stick. It simply doesn't work.