Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectBetter Call Saul Season 2
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=708034
708034, Better Call Saul Season 2
Posted by osu_no_1, Fri Feb-12-16 10:54 AM
Slippin Jimmy back

Starts Monday 2/15 on AMC

Season 1 just got put on Netflix if you need to catch up

Think there might be a marathon on AMC too

708036, I literally just watched Season 1.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Feb-12-16 11:15 AM
So great. The penultimate episode with the confrontation between Jimmy and Chuck was devastating, epic-level television.

Can't wait for Season 2.
708052, Can't wait nm
Posted by tourgasm, Fri Feb-12-16 04:13 PM
708063, just rewatched season 1 this week
Posted by DJR, Fri Feb-12-16 10:06 PM
Very much ready for season 2.

The Mike backstory episode was one of my favorite episodes of any show, ever.

Loved the way season 1 ended with Chuck screwing over Jimmy seemingly setting up the "transformation" from Jimmy attempting to be a legit lawyer into shady ass Saul.
708072, Smoke on the water
Posted by osu_no_1, Sat Feb-13-16 08:15 AM
What did he say to mike at the end? Something about the million dollars that he gave back, like something was stopping me from taking it, but I'll never let it stop me again. It was his brother or the thought of making him proud that was making him try to do the right thing. Once he found out about Chuck fucking him over, that barrier or moral boundary collapsed. It will be interesting to see where that takes him.

Also Jonathan Banks killed that episode. I remember just thinking wow after it ended. He deserved the emmy.
708141, I am so excited for this.
Posted by Brew, Mon Feb-15-16 08:39 PM
Totally forgot about it til I just came across the season 1 marathon by accident. Season 1 was so damn good. Agree with everyone in here about the Mike episode and about the penultimate episode with Jimmy/Chuck. This shit is gonna be good.
708143, Some damn good acting in that first sequence
Posted by Adwhizz, Mon Feb-15-16 10:22 PM
I'll be mad as hell if that's the only thing we get to see of the "present" this season
708144, LOL, I knew some more minor BB characters would show up
Posted by DJR, Mon Feb-15-16 10:34 PM
But I wasn't expecting that guy.
708145, He wasn't the only Easter Egg in that scene.
Posted by Numba_33, Mon Feb-15-16 10:39 PM
708147, The tequila that Gus poisoned the Cartel with?
Posted by DJR, Mon Feb-15-16 10:41 PM
708148, Salud!!
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Mon Feb-15-16 10:41 PM
708146, Who? What did I miss?
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Mon Feb-15-16 10:40 PM
708149, Walt blew Ken's car up in season 1
Posted by DJR, Mon Feb-15-16 10:42 PM
708152, KEN WINS. I was howling lol
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Feb-16-16 12:11 AM
708204, Shit, I'm an idiot, haha.
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Feb-17-16 09:51 AM
I recognized Ken as the blown-up-car guy at the gas station, but for some reason I was placing him back in Better Call Saul S1, not Breaking Bad.

I kept insisting to my wife that he was that dude, but she was confused as hell because she never saw BB.

Whoops
708153, What causeed the abrupt change of heart?
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Feb-16-16 01:41 AM
It's like slippin' Jimmy was ready to pounce and suddenly just decided to grow up and change his life in 2 seconds. He stared at Marco's ring for a second, but that didn't seem to be it.

Also, i dug the tie in with the emergency exit sign in the opening scene, and his need to flip the switch in the closing scene.

I thought they went way too extra on Pryce's ride, but it was still pretty funny
708154, he wants to be where Kim is
Posted by DJR, Tue Feb-16-16 01:56 AM
Once he realized that scheme they ran on Ken was just a one shot deal to her, he went back.

708205, Kim's not at Davis & Main though, right?
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Feb-17-16 09:59 AM
My memory of last season is hazy, but IIRC Chuck didn't want Jimmy at HHM so Howard opened the door for him at Davis & Main.

But you're right, he definitely took the job because of Kim. It's going to be interesting to see how he's going to slip back into Slippin Jimmy. And I love how we're into the second season yet Jimmy still seems a ways from becoming "Saul Goodman".
708210, where Kim is = legit working grownup job not running scams
Posted by Oakley, Wed Feb-17-16 11:22 AM
708215, Agreed...
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Feb-17-16 12:11 PM
I just wanted to point out the distinction between D&M versus HHM.
708253, right, but she wanted him to take that job and thought he was crazy for passing
Posted by DJR, Wed Feb-17-16 10:45 PM
He tried to get her to join him in the "Slippin Jimmy" life. Remember last year he tried to get her to join him when he bought that building and had her office all ready for her. Also, he had Mike steal 1.6 million from the Kettlemans and then he turned it in, so that they would admit guilt and accept Kim's plea deal(after she had "blown it" and was catching shit from Howard). He's trying to stay close to her with all of his moves.
708162, PLAYUH
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Tue Feb-16-16 11:35 AM
y'all, I'm STILL laughing.
708265, When he was going on bragging to nacho
Posted by osu_no_1, Thu Feb-18-16 05:22 AM
3 climate zones

One woman in a bikini, one in a winter coat, both could be comfortable

Nacho was like, oh so you're riding around with 2 women in the back?

Smh lol
708290, I think he invited Nacho to sit in it twice.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Thu Feb-18-16 01:39 PM
708170, This was a fun start to the season.
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Feb-16-16 03:57 PM
I love watching Slippin' Jimmy hustle people.
708179, One thing that threw me off
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Feb-16-16 07:26 PM
was that Michael McKean (sp?) was listed in the opening credits, but wasn't in the first episode. I am curious how he'll fit into this second season.
708180, He was in the "this season on" so I'm sure he'll pop up very soon.
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Feb-16-16 07:30 PM
708189, Cucumber water for customers only
Posted by osu_no_1, Tue Feb-16-16 10:35 PM
Not ready to flip the switch yet
708200, lord i missed this shit.
Posted by araQual, Wed Feb-17-16 07:30 AM
HOW DID I NOT KNOW THAT WAS KEN??
OMFG.

V.
708206, So the black and white cold opener...
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Feb-17-16 10:06 AM
this season and last season. We're seeing Jimmy post-Breaking Bad right?

No idea how long this show is going to go, but it would be sweet if they continued exploring Cinnabon Jimmy past just these black and white scenes.
708211, that's what I was thinking.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Wed Feb-17-16 11:31 AM
...and hoping.
708225, Yep. That's how they kicked off S1, too.
Posted by magilla vanilla, Wed Feb-17-16 03:24 PM
708232, I dont think we're gonna get a continuation of Gene the Cinnabon manager
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Feb-17-16 05:25 PM
It's just there as a contrast to Slippin' Jimmy/James McGill/Saul Goodman

I think Gene's life is supposed to remain mundane, and we'll probably only get those windows into it to open up seasons.. then again, with this show's universe you never know
708251, Yeah it's definitely there as the contrast.
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Feb-17-16 09:55 PM
I'm just holding out hope that the little "SG WAS HERE" nugget that they gave us could blossom into an episode or two at the end of the series. I really love the writers' patience with the slow burn.

708217, What will finally cause him to flip the switch?
Posted by osu_no_1, Wed Feb-17-16 12:19 PM
Seems like he's still making decisions based on what someone else thinks. In this season, it's Kim instead of Chuck. He's willing to hold it together as long as he thinks there's a chance with her.

A failed relationship with Kim might be what finally causes his to flip.
708218, let's get on with it though
Posted by mashpg89, Wed Feb-17-16 12:33 PM
I don't want another season of more identity struggles in a different office. The premiere was pretty boring so hopefully the story starts moving along faster. I imagine there will be a lot to tell once he does flip that switch.
708249, I disagree, I'm in no hurry to get there
Posted by DJR, Wed Feb-17-16 09:36 PM
I loved season 1 and enjoyed this first episode of season 2, so there may be more to explore with James McGill. We know where he's going to end up, so I'm just going to enjoy the ride.
708254, Yes this. What's the rush?
Posted by Brew, Wed Feb-17-16 10:58 PM
I think these characters and the story arcs have been wildly interesting to this point. They've done a fantastic job. We saw plenty of Saul Goodman in Breaking Bad. I don't need them to rush storylines to go back to that place just yet.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be happy to get Saul when we get there I just don't think it's necessary to rush.

Sepinwall interviewed co-creator Peter Gould about this very thing and why they decided that hitting the brakes was better for the story/show:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/why-jimmy-changed-his-mind-in-the-better-call-saul-premiere
708258, to me, it nullifies Jimmy's character growth from season one
Posted by mashpg89, Wed Feb-17-16 11:59 PM
Last season was about him not being sure if he was in the right field, testing his own ethics and morality, and coming out from under the shadow of his big brother. He solved all those problems in the finale and triumphantly declared he's a new man.

I didn't expect him to open up shop as Saul in episode one of season two, but the premiere definitely takes a step back in the story and makes season one unimportant. He's now in a new job and unsure if he's in the right field, testing his own ethics and morality, and living under the shadow of Kim.

Reading that interview proves my point. He's talking about how after last season's finale Jimmy is closer to being Saul and ready to "throw off the bounds of conventional morality". Then they remembered Kim and felt the need to have Jimmy stay where he is because of her. Seems like an oversight on their part and I'd rather they dealt with that last season instead of going back in the story now to address it.
708272, You bring up some fair points.
Posted by Brew, Thu Feb-18-16 08:46 AM
I just don't know that it bothers me as much as it does you. I don't necessarily think that we're going to be watching another full season of Jimmy McGill, I trust that they will do right by the story and have him transition when it feels natural. In other words I wouldn't look at episode 1 as being indicative of where the whole season is going. Could be wrong but that's just my guess. And I enjoyed episode 1 enough to let the perceived "step back" go a little bit.
708284, That's part of the bigger theme though
Posted by Calico, Thu Feb-18-16 11:51 AM
...He's slowly losing these things that keep him from becoming Saul

...First season he was driving himself crazy trying to please Chuck, and realized it was never gonna happen.....

...Now he's trying to please ole girl (I forget her name right now), because at his core, he's just a man trying to please the people he loves, while trying to find a balance for himself....

...I really don't see this as a step back at all... He can't be Slippin Jimmy forever, but needs to figure out how to combine everything he knows and can do now, with Slippin Jimmy to create Saul...which is basically what he's trying to figure out during the course of the series....

He could stay Slippin Jimmy, but he doesn't wanna do it alone, and it's like he realized the value of an upgrade professionally.....
708560, I'm more interested in Mike and his dealings than the transform to Saul
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Mon Feb-22-16 11:14 PM
I'm starting to agree with what people above have been saying.
This whole in and out, James McGill/Slippin Jimmy thing has gone on too long. Just flip the switch already

708577, LOL it's been 12 episodes. Chill.
Posted by Brew, Tue Feb-23-16 10:11 AM
>I'm starting to agree with what people above have been
>saying.
>This whole in and out, James McGill/Slippin Jimmy thing has
>gone on too long. Just flip the switch already

12 episodes is 1 season of a typical show like this one. Relax. They'll get there.
708614, I'm anxious lol. The legit lawyer thing is a snore for me
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Tue Feb-23-16 02:14 PM
I'm bout that action.
708621, Haha I feel you to a certain extent.
Posted by Brew, Tue Feb-23-16 02:56 PM
Being that it's a 10 episode season, I even found myself kind of "WTFing" the episode last nite til we got to the Pie Squatting shit or whatever it was called. But I find the characters and story so interesting I'm not *too* annoyed by it. Seems like they're getting somewhere now.

And, fuck Chuck, man. That dude is the worst.
708628, Meh, it took a REALLY long time for Walt to become a "legit" drug dealer
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Feb-23-16 04:04 PM
In terms of episodes/seasons that is. He spent just about all of Season 1, 2, and most of 3 fighting against it.

So yeah, I'm not in a rush here.
708661, It seems as if Saul was established as a scumbag lawyer
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Feb-24-16 09:36 AM
for a while by the time Jesse and Walter walked into his strip mall law office, so it should be interesting how long it'll take for Jimmy to slip into the Saul role. I would imagine even if Jimmy tilts to the Soul Goodman role, it may take him some time to become the successful scumbag lawyer he was when he was introduced into the Breaking Bad universe, so even if he goes corrupt this season, the show can take some time to establish him to the level he reached on Breaking Bad.

I'm hoping the show does a good job establishing how Jimmy/Saul runs into the characters played by Lavell Crawford and Bill Burr.
708631, I'm in no hurry but I definitely enjoy the Mike storyline part more
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Feb-23-16 05:25 PM
And as long as Saul is dabbling like this week I'm completely fine with everything else.
708659, i say when he loses Kim is the moment he'll flip the switch
Posted by Amritsar, Wed Feb-24-16 09:27 AM
already set up that way with that last scene on the bed
709490, OK *NOW* I'm with you.
Posted by Brew, Mon Mar-14-16 10:06 PM
Still not necessarily for him to become Saul but for them to just move the fucking story. Halfway through the season now and I feel like they've accomplished literally nothing.
708573, Squat Cobbler. LOL
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Feb-23-16 02:48 AM
708597, that story was SO awesome
Posted by Calico, Tue Feb-23-16 01:27 PM
loved dude's oblivious reactions to all this potential disaster around him
708632, What kind of pie? Like, apple?
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Feb-23-16 05:25 PM
708695, straight up tears everywhere,hilarious story!
Posted by DJ007, Wed Feb-24-16 08:13 PM

Posted by araQual, Sat Feb-27-16 12:30 AM
V.
708574, I love this show. Favorite on TV. That is all.
Posted by phenompyrus, Tue Feb-23-16 07:46 AM
n/m
708667, Really good.
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Feb-24-16 11:33 AM
Breaking Bad is the shit, but I think up to this same point in BB that Better Call Saul has been more interesting to me.

While I do acknowledge though that the world-building in BCS has already been established in BB, the focus on Odenkirk is so fucking good.

708660, loving where theyre going with Ignacio's backstory
Posted by Amritsar, Wed Feb-24-16 09:33 AM
remember in BB when Walt and Jessie have SAul out in the desert and Saul says " its not me you want, its Ignacio!"

yeah lot more to come from this character
708672, I don't get Better Call Saul Season 2
Posted by andacagar, Wed Feb-24-16 01:01 PM
I wasnt a big fan of Breaking Bad though either but season 1 of this show was just all over the place and not that interesting and this season so far looks to be more of the same. it's just a pointless show so far.
708683, Leave it at this
Posted by Mafamaticks, Wed Feb-24-16 03:28 PM
>I don't get Better Call Saul Season 2 I wasnt a big fan of Breaking Bad >though either...

and not this:

>it's just a pointless show so far.

Cause it's far from pointless
708685, lol
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Feb-24-16 03:59 PM
>I wasnt a big fan of Breaking Bad though either but season 1
>of this show was just all over the place and not that
>interesting and this season so far looks to be more of the
>same. it's just a pointless show so far.
708686, Did you binge watch all of Breaking Bad
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Feb-24-16 04:06 PM
or did you watch the episodes as they aired on AMC? I would imagine binge watching the show removes the patience required to watch a show where it appears nothing is happening in terms of action.
708689, Nah there was plenty of anticipation binge watching too.
Posted by Brew, Wed Feb-24-16 05:49 PM
This dude's just insane.
708704, The scenes with mike and nacho were great
Posted by osu_no_1, Thu Feb-25-16 05:27 AM
Nacho's becoming my favorite character

Looks like a school bus for 6 year old pimps
708731, It's wild how he essentially got where he is playing a video game character
Posted by Nodima, Thu Feb-25-16 01:03 PM
He was a successful theater actor and had several one-off roles on TV, but after his motion capture work for Far Cry 3 he's been a steady working actor. He's the only example of that I can think of so far, but it's cool to see something like that taking place.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
708797, I've vocally hated on Breaking Bad but
Posted by veritas, Fri Feb-26-16 01:22 PM
I love this show.

Really fantastic characters.
708907, self saboteur
Posted by Calico, Tue Mar-01-16 08:43 AM
i can't blame him, that life just looks boring until he he starts to do "his" thing....

708915, yup...i think we all do this to a degree
Posted by gumz, Tue Mar-01-16 10:56 AM
when you're not really happy you will do little things to sabotage that life whether you realize it or not...in relationships...work...etc.

It's kinda hard watching shows like this cause you know he's going to fuck his life up little by little until it all goes to shit. Even knowing where this leads I hate seeing it all crumble little by little
708919, It's Chuck...
Posted by gmltheone, Tue Mar-01-16 11:24 AM
He's in his head. Doing everything to prove him wrong while proving him right.

----------------------------
Same as it ever was!
708931, Davis & Main micro-managed the background color of their previous "ad"
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Mar-01-16 01:43 PM
No way they were going to approve Jimmy's vision.

That said, I doubt he gets fired. Yet.
708938, I'm not even sure I properly understand Jimmy's reasoning....
Posted by Brew, Tue Mar-01-16 02:31 PM
for going rogue on that commercial. I mean he walked all the way to Davis' office to present it to him, why not just show it to him ? Maybe I'm missing something big or a nuance but it's not like it would've been all that difficult for him to just get the OK before putting it out there. Seems to be kind of lazy writing IMO, unless of course I *am* missing something stoyline-wise.
708939, I think it's a couple of things:
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Mar-01-16 02:42 PM
1. I think he wanted to prove he could take initiative and be successful. He also wanted to "show" Chuck and the rest that he could get more clients and do his job well without "bending" the law.

2. I think Jimmy wanted to look good in Kim's eyes. Kim had already thought that Davis & Main had signed off on the ad (It's not clear whether he told her that they had and she just assumed that they had since the ad had been shot). Jimmy didn't want to risk running the ad by Clifford and then the firm drastically changing it or outright refusing to do it, which could change her opinion of him.
708942, RE: I think it's a couple of things:
Posted by Brew, Tue Mar-01-16 02:55 PM
>1. I think he wanted to prove he could take initiative and be
>successful. He also wanted to "show" Chuck and the rest that
>he could get more clients and do his job well without
>"bending" the law.

Hm but even though he wasn't bending the law, he was still kind of going against the grain with no real reason to do it (IMO, at least). He still would've reached this goal had the commercial been tweaked and released, and he would've had full approval.

>2. I think Jimmy wanted to look good in Kim's eyes. Kim had
>already thought that Davis & Main had signed off on the ad
>(It's not clear whether he told her that they had and she just
>assumed that they had since the ad had been shot). Jimmy
>didn't want to risk running the ad by Clifford and then the
>firm drastically changing it or outright refusing to do it,
>which could change her opinion of him.

OK that last point I guess I can buy. I don't think they really fleshed that out very well, though, I suppose. Cause I still think he could've achieved all the above goals without going behind the back of the partners to release the commercial. Just seems stupid and lazy rather than being a necessary jab to the man to get the job done, if that makes sense. For some reason I'm just not really buying it.
708943, It all comes back to Kim and Chuck
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Mar-01-16 03:18 PM

>Hm but even though he wasn't bending the law, he was still
>kind of going against the grain with no real reason to do it
>(IMO, at least). He still would've reached this goal had the
>commercial been tweaked and released, and he would've had full
>approval.

After the first firm meeting, when he gets challenged by Chuck and ends up telling Kim that he back-door solicited the responses, she says to him, "You're great at this job, but you don't have to cheat to do so" (or something to that effect). And he wants to prove to Chuck that he's not circumventing the law. So he comes up with a way to do his job well without cheating. He knows the way these potential clients think, so he crafts an ad that directly appeals to them. Then he shows the commercial to Kim, and she loves it, and he doesn't want to risk losing that "approval" by having the commercial gutted or not run at all.

>OK that last point I guess I can buy. I don't think they
>really fleshed that out very well, though, I suppose.

I think they fleshed it out well enough by look on Jimmy's face when Kim tells him that she loves the commercial and asks, "So Davis and Main approved this?" You can tell he doesn't want to say, "Well, they haven't yet, but they hopefully will!" He wants to prove that he did what she asked him to do and everyone is happy with him.
708944, Yea you're right I guess and I totally see what you're saying.
Posted by Brew, Tue Mar-01-16 03:27 PM
I guess I just don't really buy it, is all.

But you're definitely right about it all being about Kim and Chuck.

I'll have to watch the ep again I think.
708945, Another reason I'd say is that he knows Davis-Main is a bad fit for him
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Mar-01-16 03:39 PM
He may have once thought that what he always wanted was a job at a firm like that, but after the blow-up with Chuck and the trip to Cicero, he doesn't see himself as that type of lawyer anymore. He may not see himself as Saul Goodman, criminal-attorney, yet, but it seems like he sees himself as the type of lawyer who will bend the rules in order to best serve his clients.
708946, Yes this I can roll with.
Posted by Brew, Tue Mar-01-16 03:46 PM
He's just slowly recognizing that the straight-laced style isn't really his bag and he, to quote Jimmy himself from an upcoming episode, prefers to "roll around in the dirt a little."

That's definitely true.
708957, The next episode will consist
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Mar-01-16 08:32 PM
of the Jimmy McGill character having to explain himself in front of the board, so hopefully the show will divulge why he didn't show the video to his boss first.
708960, He needed a successful test run to ensure their support...
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Wed Mar-02-16 03:18 AM
They would have chopped up the commercial or flat out rejected it if he asked for approval.
If instead he first proves that it worked very well, they are unlikely to touch it.
709154, .
Posted by Mynoriti, Sun Mar-06-16 04:53 PM
708940, Also, Saul named one of his fake holding companies "Ice Station Zebra"
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Mar-01-16 02:43 PM
in "Breaking Bad."
708958, Another fantastic episode; I love the dichotomy being set up
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Mar-02-16 01:01 AM
Last season Chuck's history with Jimmy clouded him from seeing Jimmy's earnest attempts at going straight.

This season Jimmy's attempts at going straight will cloud Chuck from seeing that Jimmy still hasn't changed.

It is curious why Jimmy didn't immediately go to Cliff with the commercial for approval, but like someone mentioned above it'll surely come out at the meeting. Before the call from Cliff, I was thinking his misgivings with the tape was some sort of hollowness (or lack of a rush) from doing something without a con. I'm pretty sure I'm wrong in the case of the commercial, but that will probably end up being true down the line (in whatever ends up being the final straw between Jimmy and Kim).
708965, I don't know about this at all.
Posted by Brew, Wed Mar-02-16 09:04 AM
>This season Jimmy's attempts at going straight will cloud
>Chuck from seeing that Jimmy still hasn't changed.

Chuck doesn't seem to be willing to give Jimmy the benefit of the doubt ever, at all, in any circumstance. I mean I get what you're getting at with the storyline I just don't think that Chuck's thoughts about Jimmy are gonna be clouded at all.
708968, Sure, I could be wrong.
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Mar-02-16 10:10 AM
But in the last two episodes we've seen Chuck "challenge" Jimmy twice and twice we've seen him come away either impressed (when Kim reassured Jimmy) or rebuffed.

If the show continues on that theme, then eventually Jimmy is going to earn Chuck's trust, only to somehow break it for good. I mean, we still know he's going to be Saul Goodman... the only question is what's going to happen to bring him there.
708971, Oh man I didn't see it that way at all.
Posted by Brew, Wed Mar-02-16 11:01 AM
>But in the last two episodes we've seen Chuck "challenge"
>Jimmy twice and twice we've seen him come away either
>impressed (when Kim reassured Jimmy) or rebuffed.

I absolutely did not come away from either episode thinking Chuck had anything other than disdain and doubt in his mind regarding Jimmy's answers. His facial expressions, to me, said "he's lying to us"

Just the way I read his looks, of course. I could be wrong as well.
708973, Oh, Chuck definitely had (has) doubts.
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Mar-02-16 11:42 AM
But I don't think he had disdain. Chuck still cares for his brother, he just doesn't trust his ethics. So when he heard Jimmy was hired by Davis & Main and Howard's positive opinion of him, Chuck had to see for himself.

When he first showed up in the boardroom, Jimmy was visibly shaken but Kim's reassurance helped him keep his composure. Then when Chuck directly challenged Jimmy's client service methods, both Cliff and Howard seemed satisfied with Jimmy's answer. Howard still deferred to Chuck, but it was clear that Jimmy had absolved himself of further scrutiny (for now). And Jimmy's interruption helped to clear any further doubts (more for Kim's sake, but still).

Again, I could be wrong (especially in this next episode), but it feels like Jimmy is slowly winning over Chuck. What's interesting is that it looks like Kim is assuming Chuck's role from last season; she wants to see him succeed legitimately, but she can't help but see through his methods.
708974, Yea disdain was the wrong word. But I still disagree here:
Posted by Brew, Wed Mar-02-16 12:04 PM
>Howard still deferred to Chuck, but it was clear that
>Jimmy had absolved himself of further scrutiny (for now).

Chuck's reaction to Howard's "Chuck, is that good with you?" (paraphrasing) was a half shrug and silence. It didn't appear to me that he was at all convinced that Jimmy was doing things straight. I read that reaction to say "yea he vocally covered himself but I still don't believe a word he's saying". At no point did I think "Jimmy's winning him over," or think his reaction said "I'm convinced!"

In other words, his reaction to me said that he was willing to drop the subject for that moment because continuing to press Jimmy after he gave what everyone else saw as a great explanation would make *HIM* (Chuck) look bad, so he'll save his ongoing vocal disapproval and doubts for another day.

We'll see how it progresses of course. But we're definitely seeing Chuck's ongoing reactions to Jimmy far, far differently.
708976, We're on both sides of the same coin
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Mar-02-16 12:42 PM
I'm not saying Chuck is anywhere near convinced yet, I'm just saying that Jimmy is doing and saying the right things in front of him so far. I'm guessing over the course of the season Jimmy will slowly win over Chuck, not right now.

>Chuck's reaction to Howard's "Chuck, is that good with you?"
>(paraphrasing) was a half shrug and silence. It didn't appear
>to me that he was at all convinced that Jimmy was doing things
>straight. I read that reaction to say "yea he vocally covered
>himself but I still don't believe a word he's saying". At no
>point did I think "Jimmy's winning him over," or think his
>reaction said "I'm convinced!"

Semantics, but there's a huge spectrum between "not at all convinced" and "I'm convinced". Like I said, it'll be a slow burn in fits and starts, not all at once. They are brothers, so that's a lot of history to overcome.

>In other words, his reaction to me said that he was willing to
>drop the subject for that moment because continuing to press
>Jimmy after he gave what everyone else saw as a great
>explanation would make *HIM* (Chuck) look bad, so he'll save
>his ongoing vocal disapproval and doubts for another day.

I agree. He's going to continue challenging Jimmy, and with good reason. I just predict that Jimmy is going to handle himself well and will eventually convince Chuck.

>We'll see how it progresses of course. But we're definitely
>seeing Chuck's ongoing reactions to Jimmy far, far
>differently.

Perhaps, time will tell. Regardless, credit to the writers for crafting such nuanced characters. Maybe it's recency bias, but I've been enjoying Jimmy's journey more than Walt's so far.
708977, Yea we are for sure debating semantics.
Posted by Brew, Wed Mar-02-16 01:03 PM
And you nailed it. Credit to the writers for creating nuanced characters that have us literally debating body language. I don't know that I've ever done that regarding a show before. Haha.
709155, Yup. He has a need for coloring outside the lines
Posted by Mynoriti, Sun Mar-06-16 05:02 PM
> Before the call from
>Cliff, I was thinking his misgivings with the tape was some
>sort of hollowness (or lack of a rush) from doing something
>without a con. I'm pretty sure I'm wrong in the case of the
>commercial, but that will probably end up being true down the
>line (in whatever ends up being the final straw between Jimmy
>and Kim).

Jimmy can't do anything 100% by the book. It's too suffocating for him. Even something tiny, like that switch that said "do not turn off" or not drinking coconut water at the nail salon, there has to be a rebellious spirit, or slippin' jimmmy angle in everything he does.
709156, Great observations.
Posted by Brew, Sun Mar-06-16 05:13 PM
>Jimmy can't do anything 100% by the book. It's too suffocating
>for him. Even something tiny, like that switch that said "do
>not turn off" or not drinking coconut water at the nail salon,
>there has to be a rebellious spirit, or slippin' jimmmy angle
>in everything he does.

And, great writing.
709173, I think part of it is he prides himself on his creativity.
Posted by wallysmith, Sun Mar-06-16 09:28 PM
Law is perfect for this since it can be interpreted in so many different ways, then on top of that he thrives on interpreting it in his own way.

This is what I was getting at in last season's thread when saying Chuck is right about Jimmy. Chuck's a coldhearted asshole, but at the end of the day he was right about not giving Jimmy a job at HHM because he'll always be Slippin' Jimmy. This season is bearing that out further. Jimmy is loyal and trustworthy and will always do right by his clients but at the end of the day following the letter of the law is not in his DNA.

If my prediction is correct about Jimmy finally convincing Chuck he's capable of going straight (while we know he's not) then there's going to be major fireworks at the end of the season.
709201, I definitely thought about Chuck when Begley said
Posted by Mynoriti, Mon Mar-07-16 01:41 PM
"Howard said you were a little eccentric, he didn’t tell me you were a goddamned arsonist!”

Made me think of Chuck's "chimp with a machine gun" line. and that he probably had a point.
708964, I was waiting for that to be Gus meeting Mike at the end...
Posted by KnowOne, Wed Mar-02-16 08:52 AM
but I gotta remember this show is a slow burn toward the future.
708966, me too.
Posted by Basaglia, Wed Mar-02-16 09:42 AM
708981, Same here, that was probably the intent...
Posted by phenompyrus, Wed Mar-02-16 02:18 PM
But I'll settle for that look Mike gave accepting his fate.

One could argue that he was the best character on Breaking Bad, and I'd give them a strong listen.
708992, I thought that too but vet probably wouldn't have a line on Gus
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Mar-02-16 05:46 PM
or if he did Gus is too cautious for a direct meet that fast
709004, Yea great call...
Posted by Brew, Wed Mar-02-16 06:57 PM
>or if he did Gus is too cautious for a direct meet that fast

And with that in mind I'm really happy it didn't end up being him.
709016, yeah me too now that I think of it.
Posted by KnowOne, Thu Mar-03-16 09:26 AM
nm
709194, yeah i was trippin cause i thought the same thing...
Posted by gumz, Mon Mar-07-16 10:50 AM
i wanted it to be Gus but it made no sense for it to be him...especially since they made it seem like Mike knew whoever it was.
709218, What an entertaining episode
Posted by DJR, Mon Mar-07-16 11:07 PM
Loved it. Mike is such an interesting character. His transformation into a business like killer is going to be something else. That Jimmy-Chuck conversation was entertaining as hell too.

Crazy 8 sighting. And I can't remember for sure but I assume the gun dealer was the same one that sold Walt his gun when he worked for Gus and was looking for the chance to kill him?
709232, RE: What an entertaining episode
Posted by phenompyrus, Tue Mar-08-16 10:24 AM
Gun guy is the same, I noticed that from the trailer. Awesome.
709244, That's the third appearance of the gun guy (Jim Beaver)
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Mar-08-16 01:36 PM
Second was the flash-forward at the beginning of Season 5 of Walt buying the machine gun.
709306, right....that repeat business is important...n/m
Posted by Calico, Wed Mar-09-16 11:30 AM
709329, yeah, that's right
Posted by DJR, Wed Mar-09-16 04:25 PM
He has a distinct way of talking, so I figured it was him. Couldn't remember what he looked like though.
709312, wait was Crazy 8 the dude Tuco was giving the lie detector test?
Posted by gumz, Wed Mar-09-16 01:06 PM
i totally missed that
709327, yeah, sitting down with Tuco and Nacho in the taco restaurant
Posted by DJR, Wed Mar-09-16 04:24 PM
709335, Yup. Also he had the gear from his dad's furniture store
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Mar-09-16 04:54 PM
that he was talking about with Walt, when Walt had him in the basement
709339, :: Weebay acting astounded with moving background gif ::
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Mar-09-16 05:09 PM
Dude looked so young compared to the dude that was chained up in the bicycle lock from those early Breaking Bad episodes.

My mind is blown.
709245, My recollection of Breaking Bad Season 1 are pretty hazy
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Mar-08-16 01:39 PM
Did they mention Tuco recently getting out of prison? I vaguely remember his "lie detector" stuff and definitely remember his meth habit and severe anger issues.

But yeah, great episode, especially the stuff with Mike. And Chuck is such a sanctimonious ass.
709246, I hate Chuck so much.
Posted by Brew, Tue Mar-08-16 01:48 PM
>Did they mention Tuco recently getting out of prison? I
>vaguely remember his "lie detector" stuff and definitely
>remember his meth habit and severe anger issues.

Good question. Must have been mentioned at some point. Though I guess since I remember Breaking Bad being told in real time, that he would've been like 2-4 years out of prison at that point so maybe it didn't necessitate mentioning.

>And
>Chuck is such a sanctimonious ass.

Chuck is the worst. Great character, brilliantly played. Such a hatetable asshole.
709251, RE: My recollection of Breaking Bad Season 1 are pretty hazy
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Mar-08-16 02:53 PM
>And
>Chuck is such a sanctimonious ass.

It stinks Jimmy's woman had to take the fall for the workplace politics screw-up, but I have to think Chuck has reasons for being cautious with Jimmy. The show is centered around Jimmy, so it's natural to root for him, but I don't think Chuck is 100% completely wrong with his intentions.
709307, i understand Chuck's apprehension
Posted by Calico, Wed Mar-09-16 11:37 AM
he's still a douche, but I get that Jimmy shows little proof that he's changed other than now he's Slippin Jimmy Esq....

I was a little surprised Chuck didn't take Jimmy up on his offer, but I'm guessing he wants Jimmy to fail at being a lawyer altogether rather than someone else derail it
709313, he probably doesn't want Jimmy to hold it over on him
Posted by gumz, Wed Mar-09-16 01:08 PM
or use it against him somehow. he really doesn't trust dude at all.

>I was a little surprised Chuck didn't take Jimmy up on his
>offer, but I'm guessing he wants Jimmy to fail at being a
>lawyer altogether rather than someone else derail it
709323, I view it
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Mar-09-16 03:21 PM
as Chuck not waning to compromise on any level with Jimmy. I think Chuck wants Jimmy to operate on his level and his level alone since giving Jimmy any wiggle room would lead him to taking advantage of the situation somehow.
709309, He's definitely not wrong for his intentions.
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Mar-09-16 12:00 PM
He's been pretty much spot on the entire time.

With Jimmy, the ends always justifies the means. This came up when Jimmy was talking to Cliff, then Kim, then Chuck. His first defense was always the results, not the method. Cliff hit the nail on the head: the partners have spent their careers building the integrity and reputation of Davis & Main. A single commercial isn't going to derail that, but it's that *type* of behavior that is the risk.

Also, note that for as cold as Chuck can be, he still trusts and loves his brother. He accepts Jimmy at his word when he said Kim had no idea about the commercial. He doesn't question Jimmy the person, he questions "Slippin' Jimmy". And, again... is he wrong?

That said, I'm still cautiously optimistic Jimmy is going to win over Chuck somehow (because of his relationship with Kim). He's just hit a bottom, and there's a lot of season left.
709325, RE: My recollection of Breaking Bad Season 1 are pretty hazy
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Mar-09-16 04:11 PM
>It stinks Jimmy's woman had to take the fall for the workplace
>politics screw-up, but I have to think Chuck has reasons for
>being cautious with Jimmy. The show is centered around Jimmy,
>so it's natural to root for him, but I don't think Chuck is
>100% completely wrong with his intentions.

The dynamic of Chuck and Jimmy's relationship isn't built around him holding the moral high-ground. He believes it makes him a superior lawyer and overall, human being, than Jimmy. And Chuck is just as petty, vindictive, and glory-seeking as anyone on the show, but he clings to "But I don't cut corners" as proof that he's a moral and upstanding human being.

Plus, Chuck's "You're going to be at least a half an hour late; isn't THAT going to make a great impression" is just extra petty, sanctimonious horseshit, considering the reason that Jimmy stayed there was to make sure he made it through one of his psychological "episodes" okay.

I figure the denouement of the season is going to be when Chuck inevitably compromises his own "No shortcuts" activity for his own gain, and tries to explain it away by arguing that the ends justified the means.
709336, RE: My recollection of Breaking Bad Season 1 are pretty hazy
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Mar-09-16 04:55 PM
>I figure the denouement of the season is going to be when
>Chuck inevitably compromises his own "No shortcuts" activity
>for his own gain, and tries to explain it away by arguing that
>the ends justified the means.

Other than his made-up ailment caused by whatever mental breakdown he had in the past, I don't see what Chuck has going wrong for him in life to make him compromise his code of ethics like you're suggesting, but that will be interesting to watch if it occurs.
709341, RE: My recollection of Breaking Bad Season 1 are pretty hazy
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Mar-09-16 05:49 PM

>Other than his made-up ailment caused by whatever mental
>breakdown he had in the past, I don't see what Chuck has going
>wrong for him in life to make him compromise his code of
>ethics like you're suggesting, but that will be interesting to
>watch if it occurs.

I'm guessing that he's going to cut some corner while preparing for and trying the case. Which will ultimately lead to them "winning," but nobody will know about it besides himself and maybe Jimmy. And I'm guessing it will be something that he'll say he had to because of something Jimmy did.
709260, Skinny Pete said he was locked up with Tuco
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Mar-08-16 06:03 PM
that's how they ended up setting up the meet

709252, Watching Mike take these little jobs and work his way into the
Posted by icecold21, Tue Mar-08-16 03:45 PM
crime side after being a cop is just as fun, or probably more so, than seeing Jimmy change into Saul. But it also makes me think that a Grand Theft Auto series would make some great television on HBO or something.
709261, I continue to love the small BB tie-ins/characters
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Mar-08-16 06:08 PM
last week Mike was playing with the pig he used when Lydia tried to put a hit on him, for his guy that killed Chow

This week we saw Crazy 8 from Season 1 meeting with Tuco, in the truck/shirt of his dad's furniture store that he was talking about with Walt.

709314, i still wasn't completely sold on the partners' reaction
Posted by gumz, Wed Mar-09-16 01:11 PM
i mean i get it but i don't get it...it seemed a little over the top. i could see them slapping him on the wrist for doing something without authorization but the way they were screaming and reacting to it seemed a bit extra...

Maybe i'm just as clueless as Jimmy though
709319, Yea this kinda touches on what I was getting at above.
Posted by Brew, Wed Mar-09-16 02:57 PM
>i mean i get it but i don't get it...it seemed a little over
>the top. i could see them slapping him on the wrist for doing
>something without authorization but the way they were
>screaming and reacting to it seemed a bit extra...
>
>Maybe i'm just as clueless as Jimmy though

I really just don't buy into that whole storyline at all.
709322, RE: i still wasn't completely sold on the partners' reaction
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Mar-09-16 03:18 PM
>i mean i get it but i don't get it...it seemed a little over
>the top. i could see them slapping him on the wrist for doing
>something without authorization but the way they were
>screaming and reacting to it seemed a bit extra...
>
>Maybe i'm just as clueless as Jimmy though

It's basic office politics; he's brand new in the company and he took a measure using their name publicly without their approval. Kim getting blow-back is a bit extra, and Jimmy didn't break any rules or laws ala Slippin Jimmy, but he should have known better in terms of basic office politics.
709324, Agreed.
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Mar-09-16 04:05 PM
And on top of that, it's a law firm, where your entire business is predicated on interpretation of the law. If this is the basis of your company's reputation, then as a partner you should be furious when that is put at risk.
709362, yeah but they came off weak the way they reacted
Posted by gumz, Thu Mar-10-16 09:52 AM
they didn't come across as authoritative bosses letting the employee know who runs shit...they were panicked and frantic. that's the part that seems off to me.
709365, RE: yeah but they came off weak the way they reacted
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Mar-10-16 10:08 AM
>they didn't come across as authoritative bosses letting the
>employee know who runs shit...they were panicked and frantic.
>that's the part that seems off to me.

I think that's because it's a reflection of the firm itself; it's not a major completely corporate law firm. Compared the punishments dealt between the two law firms; Kim who did nothing wrong received the much harsher punishment and she earned more capital at her respective place of employment since she worked there longer than Jimmy is at the new spot.

I do hear you though that Jimmy violated office politics, yet the place isn't completely corporate.
709330, No one else is commenting
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Mar-09-16 04:35 PM
on how well Mike can take a punch? My memory could be off, but didn't Tuco beat either Jessie or Crazy 8 to with a bag of cash in the first season? I remember him beating some skinny guy down very badly in the first season, which led to Walt blowing Tuco's place to smithereens with the fake exploding meth.
709332, RE: No one else is commenting
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Mar-09-16 04:39 PM
>on how well Mike can take a punch? My memory could be off,
>but didn't Tuco beat either Jessie or Crazy 8 to with a bag of
>cash in the first season? I remember him beating some skinny
>guy down very badly in the first season, which led to Walt
>blowing Tuco's place to smithereens with the fake exploding
>meth.

Tuco beat the living shot out of two different people Season. The first was Jesse after he tried to sell him their Meth. But Jesse is like 110 pounds soaking wet. He also beat one of his own people to death in the final scene of the Season 1 finale, after Walt and Jesse sell him two pounds of their meth (It's also the first appearance of the "Blue Crystal Magic".
709338, RE: No one else is commenting
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Mar-09-16 04:57 PM
>>on how well Mike can take a punch? My memory could be off,
>>but didn't Tuco beat either Jessie or Crazy 8 to with a bag
>of
>>cash in the first season? I remember him beating some skinny
>>guy down very badly in the first season, which led to Walt
>>blowing Tuco's place to smithereens with the fake exploding
>>meth.
>
>Tuco beat the living shot out of two different people Season.
>The first was Jesse after he tried to sell him their Meth. But
>Jesse is like 110 pounds soaking wet. He also beat one of his
>own people to death in the final scene of the Season 1 finale,
>after Walt and Jesse sell him two pounds of their meth (It's
>also the first appearance of the "Blue Crystal Magic".

Yeah, I just fired up Netflix to look at the scene I originally referenced. In the scene, Tuco was rocking the same diamond studded boxing gloves pendant that Mike was able to nab in the recent Better Call Saul episode, which means Tuco liked that pendant so much be bought another one after the incident at the Mexican restaurant.
709337, Mike's such a G. I also like how had intel on "Salamancas"
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Mar-09-16 04:56 PM
knowing it didn't just end with Tuco
709350, that whole scene was beyond belief in its awesomeness
Posted by Calico, Wed Mar-09-16 08:07 PM
...my favorite part was Tuco's reaction when Mike grabs him, and then the laugh he gives while he hits Mike again knowing that since he's gonna be locked up anyway, he might as well get his licks in now...
709351, Big ass balls on both those guys.
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Mar-09-16 08:24 PM
One question I have...

Why is Mike so reluctant to take Tuco's life? Is he hesitant to kill someone or is it something else?
709359, can't wait to find out
Posted by Calico, Thu Mar-10-16 08:47 AM
>One question I have...
>
>Why is Mike so reluctant to take Tuco's life? Is he hesitant
>to kill someone or is it something else?

I LO)VE the way this show focuses on Mike from time to time, knowing the audience will want more when switch the focus back
709361, He said he didn't want the cartels snooping around if Tuco died
Posted by Frank Mackey, Thu Mar-10-16 08:53 AM
Worried his name might come up if Nacho was under pressure to snitch.
709364, True, that's what he told Nacho....
Posted by wallysmith, Thu Mar-10-16 09:58 AM
but I took that as his excuse to Nacho to avoid killing (Tuco). It was in the scene with the gunrunner that he decided not to kill (Tuco), and I think more specifically when he came across the bolt action that he was intimately familiar with.

I had the feeling that the period of his life when he became familiar with the gun was a period he would rather not relive.
709378, He was in all likelihood alluding to Vietnam in that scene
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Mar-10-16 02:14 PM
Talking about the wood on the rifle could warp when exposed to moisture, and how there always lots of moisture when he used; as in, in the jungle.

>I had the feeling that the period of his life when he became
>familiar with the gun was a period he would rather not relive.

And to going to war with the Juarez cartel would have a lot of similarities to go to war in Vietnam. Him putting his life on the line for a person/cause that he doesn't believe in. And he'd be potentially putting his granddaughter in danger.

For Mike, at that moment, it's probably one thing to kill someone who was involved in the death of your son, and it's something else entirely to kill for the money and the "glory."
709382, Great insight, yeah I was alluding to Vietnam.
Posted by wallysmith, Thu Mar-10-16 02:48 PM
And the notion that he'd be putting his life on the line for something he doesn't believe in I think is spot on.
709363, he def doesn't want to kill...
Posted by gumz, Thu Mar-10-16 09:55 AM
but he had almost convinced himself to...i guess it just didn't feel right.
709366, RE: Big ass balls on both those guys.
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Mar-10-16 10:10 AM
>One question I have...
>
>Why is Mike so reluctant to take Tuco's life? Is he hesitant
>to kill someone or is it something else?

I think it mirror Jimmy's current storyline in that both dudes haven't fully broken bad yet. With Mike it's different because he didn't kill in the past in the instance involving his son, but I guess he don't want to cross that line again. Yet.
709383, i think he's just a a recluctant criminal to begin with
Posted by Mynoriti, Thu Mar-10-16 02:59 PM
and killing for money is a bridge to far for him.
he's in all likelyhood killed as a soldier. he killed the dirty cops who took out his son which he feels is justified, but killing AS a criminal puts him square on the other side of the fence.

he's also smart for thinking ahead to the cartel, but i think like Saul he's just having an internal struggle. he's probably just trying to delay the inevitable.
709384, "The lesson is, if you're gonna be a criminal, do your homework." (c) Mike
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Mar-10-16 03:07 PM
>and killing for money is a bridge to far for him.
>he's in all likelyhood killed as a soldier. he killed the
>dirty cops who took out his son which he feels is justified,
>but killing AS a criminal puts him square on the other side of
>the fence.

As he said to Sir Squat Cobbler in "Pimento":

"You can be on one side of the law or the other, but if you make a deal with somebody, you keep your word. You can go home today with your money and never do this again, but you took something that wasn't yours and you sold it for a profit. You're now a criminal; good one, bad one-that's up to you."

So, like you said, he's okay being muscle. He's okay taking a beating for money. But he's not ready to cross the line into becoming a "bad" criminal.
709412, i don't think that's what he meant by good or bad criminal
Posted by gumz, Fri Mar-11-16 09:24 AM
he was saying you can be good at it or not, it's your choice

>So, like you said, he's okay being muscle. He's okay taking a
>beating for money. But he's not ready to cross the line into
>becoming a "bad" criminal.
709491, Hector. Salamanca.
Posted by dillinjah, Tue Mar-15-16 12:00 AM
Was waiting for something like that, cause up until that point this episode was a bit slow for my tastes, though Kim's character is likeable enough.

Good to see the Cartel show up tho
709493, Loved that scene.
Posted by phenompyrus, Tue Mar-15-16 07:26 AM
All I could think of was: When is Gus showing up?
709495, He seemed awfully young, compared to his age in BB.
Posted by stravinskian, Tue Mar-15-16 07:54 AM

How much earlier is this supposed to be?
709496, BCS is 2002.
Posted by Brew, Tue Mar-15-16 08:08 AM
Breaking Bad started in real time (as far as I know at least) in 2008.
709527, strokes tend to age you
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Mar-15-16 04:34 PM
unless of course something else actually happened to him, which is alluded to below lol
709497, Have to wonder if Better Call Saul will 'go there'
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Mar-15-16 08:16 AM
and show how Hector got into the vegetative state that he's in by the time the Breaking Bad timeline occurs.
709499, I mean...I don't see why they wouldn't ?
Posted by Brew, Tue Mar-15-16 08:38 AM
>and show how Hector got into the vegetative state that he's
>in by the time the Breaking Bad timeline occurs.

Now that they've introduced him it'd be kinda weird to just leave that major BB plot point hanging for no good reason.
709505, OMG I didnt think of that!!!!
Posted by KnowOne, Tue Mar-15-16 01:11 PM
I hope so
709514, hell yes! they better
Posted by gumz, Tue Mar-15-16 02:25 PM
poor Mike though
709515, $5 says Mike did it or had something to do with it
Posted by Mafamaticks, Tue Mar-15-16 02:53 PM
709516, ^^ I like this theory.
Posted by Brew, Tue Mar-15-16 02:57 PM
Judging by the subtle intensity of their scene together we may even see that happen this season. Cause you know Mike doesn't want to let Tuco out of jail, and you know he has the ability to fuck uncle's world up, and you KNOW Mike doesn't take this type of shit or bribery from anyone.

So we'll see. But it's an interesting theory.
709529, holy shit.
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Mar-15-16 04:38 PM
i had always assumed it was just something caused by health issues, but i'm really digging all the speculation here because it sounds too awesome for the show to pass up

>Judging by the subtle intensity of their scene together we
>may even see that happen this season. Cause you know Mike
>doesn't want to let Tuco out of jail, and you know he has the
>ability to fuck uncle's world up, and you KNOW Mike doesn't
>take this type of shit or bribery from anyone.
>
>So we'll see. But it's an interesting theory.
709540, Haha you and dillinjah are more than likely right...
Posted by Brew, Tue Mar-15-16 10:52 PM
>i had always assumed it was just something caused by health
>issues, but i'm really digging all the speculation here
>because it sounds too awesome for the show to pass up

...about the stroke, now that I think of it. But it would definitely be awesome.
709528, I doubt it's anything that interesting
Posted by dillinjah, Tue Mar-15-16 04:38 PM
You gotta figure that if Mike did that shit, the Cartel woulda settled that shit a LONG time ago.

There's no way they'd work with Gus, knowing that his right hand man in Mike beat the shit out of a Salamanca...sangre por sangre and all.

What probably happened to Hector was either a stroke, or instead parkinsonism that gradually deteriorated to him being wheelchair bound.
709556, Interesting to see you peoples
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Mar-16-16 10:03 AM
>You gotta figure that if Mike did that shit, the Cartel
>woulda settled that shit a LONG time ago.
>
>There's no way they'd work with Gus, knowing that his right
>hand man in Mike beat the shit out of a Salamanca...sangre por
>sangre and all.
>
>What probably happened to Hector was either a stroke, or
>instead parkinsonism that gradually deteriorated to him being
>wheelchair bound.

run with the Mike speculations. I doubt it's Mike as well since I doubt Mike would leave the man breathing if he were truly involved. I guess we shall see soon enough how things go down though. It does stink to see that the Salamanca clan appears to be putting the squeeze on Mike based on the previews for the next episode. I have to think the daughter-in-law and the granddaughter are possible targets, but at least Breaking Bad fans know those two are alive in the Breaking Bad storyline.
709558, Or it could be Gus....
Posted by KnowOne, Wed Mar-16-16 10:28 AM
remember he hates Hector for what he did, and wants revenge. And we know Mike ends up working for him. So maybe thats how they introduce him.
709573, do we have a year on when Hector killed Gus' "partner"?
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Mar-16-16 04:00 PM
709575, 1989
Posted by jrocc, Wed Mar-16-16 04:17 PM
709576, oh wow. didn't realize it was that far back. thanks
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Mar-16-16 04:24 PM
709533, “You have a tendency to overuse the words 'clearly' and 'obviously"
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Mar-15-16 05:31 PM
709549, She reminded me of the uppity staffer from Veep S4...
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Mar-16-16 08:49 AM
she might even be the same actress, lol.

That whole sequence was hilarious
709574, i loved it because it's such a valid critique
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Mar-16-16 04:13 PM
of how he talks. and i guess he writes the same way.

>That whole sequence was hilarious

Word. i still haven't seen Veep
709634, Yup. Same actress!
Posted by magilla vanilla, Fri Mar-18-16 03:53 PM
709595, The absolute worst
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Mar-17-16 07:37 AM
was when Jimmy had to stop her from following him as he went to the bathroom in the municipal courthouse.
709550, I rescind my prediction...
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Mar-16-16 08:55 AM
Jimmy is not going to win over Chuck. The mistrust in that relationship goes way too deep, colored even more by the jealousy Chuck has towards Jimmy's charisma. Chuck denying Jimmy the job last season makes even more sense now.

And it looks like Kim's stature may be restored, without Jimmy's intervention. We might see Saul Goodman earlier than expected this season.
709591, Easter egg from last week....
Posted by KnowOne, Wed Mar-16-16 10:58 PM
I just went back and checked. The guy that tried to sell Mike the sniper rifle is the same guy that sell Walt the gun in the final season of Breaking Bad!!!!
709594, Yup. He also sold Walt the 38 snub
Posted by Mynoriti, Thu Mar-17-16 05:48 AM
after Gus killed Victor, and Walt decided he was gonna kill Gus. When he met Mike at that bar, and Mike noticed right away he was carrying lol.
709596, Wow your right!
Posted by KnowOne, Thu Mar-17-16 08:05 AM
nm
709609, this show is amazing
Posted by jrocc, Thu Mar-17-16 06:38 PM
709650, I've been rewatching BB while waiting for the new BCS each week.
Posted by stravinskian, Sat Mar-19-16 09:48 AM

A couple days ago we got to the scene where Walt is first showing Saul the car wash that they were thinking of buying. Saul is pushing them to buy the laser tag place, and he's telling Walt how to lie effectively. His example: "I once got a woman to sleep with me by convincing her that I was Kevin Costner!"
709619, i just loved Kim's "You don't save me, I save me" line
Posted by Calico, Fri Mar-18-16 07:23 AM
she tethered her wagon to Jimmy's and his screwup affected her...she's right to want some distance

...LOL at her calling all those contacts and some of them putting their bid in for a date....

This show is SO cool that I often find myself wishing we had some the other lawyer characters somewhere in the BB main storyline, just cause I keep wondering what everyone was up to at that point....
709624, it was her "I am the one who knocks"
Posted by Mynoriti, Fri Mar-18-16 01:05 PM
709629, Do folks here think
Posted by Numba_33, Fri Mar-18-16 02:54 PM
Jimmy plays a part in Chuck's mental breakdown or do folks not even care since it appears most folks here vilify Chuck?
709635, I would hope not. That would be pretty suspect storytelling
Posted by mrhood75, Fri Mar-18-16 05:07 PM
It can't just be "Jimmy causes the ruin of everyone who loves him."

This last episode, Chuck places the blame on him for ruining his father's business and literally being the death of him. If they then implied it Chuck's "condition" was all Jimmy's fault too? Yeah, that's beyond overkill.
709645, Ha I mean it's pretty clear that's what direction they're going
Posted by Brew, Fri Mar-18-16 11:52 PM
>It can't just be "Jimmy causes the ruin of everyone who loves
>him."
>
>This last episode, Chuck places the blame on him for ruining
>his father's business and literally being the death of him. If
>they then implied it Chuck's "condition" was all Jimmy's fault
>too? Yeah, that's beyond overkill.
709649, yeah I bet something completely fucked happens to chuck's wife
Posted by dillinjah, Sat Mar-19-16 08:05 AM
>It can't just be "Jimmy causes the ruin of everyone who loves
>him."
>
>This last episode, Chuck places the blame on him for ruining
>his father's business and literally being the death of him. If
>they then implied it Chuck's "condition" was all Jimmy's fault
>too? Yeah, that's beyond overkill.

...which devastates chuck to the extent of what we see him as now. Jimmy having something to do with that is just too much to bare
709653, I agree, I bet it's more about Chuck's wife.
Posted by wallysmith, Sat Mar-19-16 11:36 AM
But I also feel we saw an inkling of his condition at the beginning of the scene... he was switching out light bulbs or something right? It also felt like his house was already darker than a normal house would be.

I could be misremembering the scene though.
709781, Aww shit. The murda twins
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Mon Mar-21-16 09:49 PM
This Mike storyline is 10x better than Jimmy's.
Kim's is too.
709782, these guys really know how to do some creepy swimming pool scenes
Posted by DJR, Mon Mar-21-16 09:51 PM
Going back to the swimming pool shots throughout season 2 of BB, Skyler's fake attempted drowning, etc. You could feel that whole scene that something creepy was going down soon.
709788, That shit made my blood run cold.
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Mar-22-16 12:05 AM
But Mike is a gangsta motherfucker.
709797, i just like that they can go for 20-30 mins w/o even mentioning Jimmy
Posted by Calico, Tue Mar-22-16 08:24 AM
I wanted to cheer when Kim walked out of the office.... Those guys are some real pricks....

Mike is that dude...I woulda gave back part of that money...LOL
709817, makes that time Mike visited twin in the hospital even more rewarding
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Mar-22-16 05:07 PM
709818, good point
Posted by dillinjah, Tue Mar-22-16 05:29 PM
709819, I completely forgot about this.
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Mar-22-16 06:20 PM
Is he the one who killed the twin while he was in the hospital?

For some reason I thought it was Gus himself.
709830, Gus was feeding the troops
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Mar-22-16 11:53 PM
Allowing Mike to slip up there and give him a dose while the DEA enjoyed some delicious pollos hermanos

one who killed the twin whle he was in the
>hospital?
>
>For some reason I thought it was Gus himself.
709793, I understand principles and all that
Posted by Pamalama, Tue Mar-22-16 07:13 AM
But ain't no way Nacho is getting all his money back for a botched job.

I got my face busted, threats to my grandkid, Tuco, Hector AND the murder twins? Trying to help you out? Nah. I bet Nacho's not giving full refunds from a botched car repair.
709796, Yeah, not sure why the writers felt that needed to be in there
Posted by dillinjah, Tue Mar-22-16 08:12 AM
>But ain't no way Nacho is getting all his money back for a
>botched job.
>
>I got my face busted, threats to my grandkid, Tuco, Hector AND
>the murder twins? Trying to help you out? Nah. I bet
>Nacho's not giving full refunds from a botched car repair.

I'm pretty sure everyone in the audience knows that Mike is a stand up guy
709809, consistency...stand up guys gotta do standup things
Posted by gumz, Tue Mar-22-16 11:01 AM
709810, as much as I love this show, it hasnt been a show where I'm dying waiting
Posted by rjc27, Tue Mar-22-16 11:20 AM
a week... that's starting to happen, last week, and more so after last night I'm really hype for next week
709881, I don't anticipate this show like some others, BUT....
Posted by Frank Mackey, Thu Mar-24-16 08:06 AM
When I'm watching, I'm totally engrossed.
710078, ^^^
Posted by Ashy Achilles, Mon Mar-28-16 09:23 AM
i forget i have even recorded it
710051, Prediction: Either Saul gets Mike off on the gun charge
Posted by Mynoriti, Sun Mar-27-16 04:59 AM
or Saul gets Tuco a reduced sentence.

in BB when Hank and Gomey are interrogating Mike they bring up the Philly thing but nothing about Mike being arrested, especially since this involved Tuco it would have come up. Mike's not taking any kind of charge, even with probation.

Either Saul saves the day or somehow Gus enters the picture.
710060, Good point. Mike can't get caught up "officially" in any stuff
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Sun Mar-27-16 02:18 PM
With that in mind, I don't think he even cops to the gun. That would put him in the books.
Something has to happen beforehand that prevents it.
710075, Laying the groundwork for mike getting with gus
Posted by osu_no_1, Mon Mar-28-16 06:07 AM
I loved that sit down with Hector. The Salamancas were not pleased with the outcome of that negotiation. I doubt that Mike is done dealing with them.

Also interested to see how the Jimmy and Kim stories end up. I can't see Jimmy staying at D&M much longer. And Kim may finally be loosening her vice grip on her life and career.
710118, Kim is gonna loosen up her grip on her life. all of it
Posted by SooperEgo, Mon Mar-28-16 09:30 PM
no Jimmy McGill becomes Saul full-time while Kim is alive
710130, RE: Kim is gonna loosen up her grip on her life. all of it
Posted by Calico, Tue Mar-29-16 10:01 AM
>no Jimmy McGill becomes Saul full-time while Kim is alive

I've been wondering about this....you think Kim is dead in the BB part of the timeline?? I keep wondering what happens to her and Jimmy's brother, that these people are really not mentioned at ALL by that point....
710131, nah i bet they just have a huge falling out...
Posted by gumz, Tue Mar-29-16 10:05 AM
she's off somewhere living a Jimmy-free life
710132, Yea I'm really interested to see where this goes too.
Posted by Brew, Tue Mar-29-16 10:05 AM
Cause you're right, not a single word. They've done such a great job tying his colorful wardrobe, the ring, etc., things that were prevalent and noticeable in BB into the BCS storyline so far....so I'm interested to see how they "do away" with Chuck and Kim, whether they are collateral damage from his "colorful" work or if they are alive but just steer clear of Jimmy/Saul after a few more mistakes, or something else.

Should be great to watch wherever it goes.

>I've been wondering about this....you think Kim is dead in the
>BB part of the timeline?? I keep wondering what happens to her
>and Jimmy's brother, that these people are really not
>mentioned at ALL by that point....
710236, RE: Kim is gonna loosen up her grip on her life. all of it
Posted by Red07, Thu Mar-31-16 11:59 AM
um Kim dies
710134, Fantastic episode and the best of the season so far
Posted by mashpg89, Tue Mar-29-16 10:47 AM
Loved the beginning scene that showed what brother Chuck was talking to Kim about in the previous episode. Jimmy was sharp at a young age and it was an effective way to get a glimpse into how quickly he learned what he wanted out of life.

I've had my gripes with this season, but this episode, while it could have been a bit earlier, really succeeds in developing the characters AND setting the story in motion.

Now Jimmy is free from the round-holed lawyer bureaucracy and Mike is ready to do some dirt to get Kaylee a backyard. My only fear is that Jimmy will take Kim up on her offer (he should realize he needs to fly solo and she should stick to her strengths and join the firm) which would be another confinement we have to wait for Jimmy to shake off.

I have a feeling these next couple of episodes are going to pick up a lot and this season will end with a bang, making the slow-roll first six episodes worth it.
710200, FWIW..I think you're a nice guy..
Posted by gmltheone, Wed Mar-30-16 02:14 PM
FWIW..I think you're an asshole!

Same as it ever was!
710212, Mike doing this to get the girls away from trouble
Posted by osu_no_1, Wed Mar-30-16 09:25 PM
But seems like it's putting them in a lot more risk than if he had just did nothing.

I keep wondering how much Stacy actually believed she was in danger vs playing it up to get more out of Mike. It's always the same routine with her.

That chip in the house wasn't from a bullet and he knew it, but still went along. He owes her and knows that it can't go any other way. Also wonder if he thinks she's playing him for the money.
710217, I took it as her having some sort of PTSD
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Wed Mar-30-16 11:16 PM
Not that she was trying to play him, but she is messed up from everything that has happened.
710237, Thats how I saw it too.
Posted by KnowOne, Thu Mar-31-16 12:00 PM
nm
710213, Anyone else waiting for him to do a Saul voicemail greeting?
Posted by osu_no_1, Wed Mar-30-16 09:31 PM
They built up the suspense and then he ended up just doing a normal one.
710224, Haha yep.
Posted by Brew, Thu Mar-31-16 07:57 AM
I definitely think that was intentional, to make the audience hold their breath a bit. But I'm glad it didn't happen like *that*.
710245, Anyone else sensing theres some dirt in Kim's past?
Posted by Mynoriti, Thu Mar-31-16 03:00 PM
She seemed pretty uncomfortable fielding questions about it and kept it as general as possible.

There could be a bigger reason her and Jimmy bond, and why she reluctantly slides into those capers so naturally
710254, Great call. I didn't pick up on it at the time.
Posted by Brew, Thu Mar-31-16 06:46 PM
>She seemed pretty uncomfortable fielding questions about it
>and kept it as general as possible.
>
>There could be a bigger reason her and Jimmy bond, and why she
>reluctantly slides into those capers so naturally

I definitely sensed there was something off or dodgy about the way she was responding but I didn't really consider *why* that might be til you just brought up this theory. And I think you're onto something. If it proves true, credit to you...but also, credit to the writers for making her elusiveness subtle to the point that it wasn't totally obvious that she is hiding something.
710373, What got me was "Kansas Nebraska border",
Posted by stravinskian, Mon Apr-04-16 09:00 PM

that is, she grew up in a small town on the Kansas Nebraska border. Not really right next to Omaha, and I'm sure this is reading way too much into it, but I couldn't help thinking they could be setting up a post-BB plotline.
710247, brilliant flashback scene of Jimmy, said so much about his character.
Posted by DJ007, Thu Mar-31-16 04:12 PM
I was actually rooting for him when he got the guy to pay for his cigarettes, but then he proved Chuck right, which angered me a little.

But he's a great complex character and it works and I love how it shows how Mike in a way is his mirror image, in the sense that they both walk that line between good and bad whenever necessary.

710288, Yes. I was like see Chuck?.... Oh
Posted by osu_no_1, Sat Apr-02-16 03:36 AM
Great scene

Someone said they saw poker chips on the register in that scene too

Need to rewatch
710398, LOL that was LOW....
Posted by Calico, Tue Apr-05-16 10:18 AM
I understand why he did it, but...wow....

Chuck was great this ep.... I loved how smooth he was with the clients... Love that Jimmy is slowly proving everyone right about what/who he really is... Chuck legally gets a client back, and jimmy does something underhanded to sabotage that...

I feel like I missed something last night, how were they really transporting the drugs again?? cause the scans and police found nothing, but we know they're up to no good...and what was Mike making? Is he really planning on robbing the Salamancas?

***bTW, I really enjoyed Howard, and his tie, for a change this episode
710403, well remember in BB Gus was....
Posted by KnowOne, Tue Apr-05-16 12:57 PM
>I feel like I missed something last night, how were they
>really transporting the drugs again?? cause the scans and
>police found nothing, but we know they're up to no good...and
>what was Mike making? Is he really planning on robbing the
>Salamancas?

transporting the drugs in those same round containers of ice cream.
Looks like Mike was making a spike strip to blow the tires. Not sure if he wants to rob them or just cause them some trouble. I wonder if later once he hooks up with Gus he gives him the idea to transport that way.
710416, That's another thing about this show that irks me a lil sometimes
Posted by Calico, Tue Apr-05-16 02:43 PM
....I get that there will be many references to BB and it's storylines, but I really don't remember a lot of the smaller beats, and I hope this show doesn't go that route where you HAVE to be up on BB in it's entirety to get what's going on in BCS......I thought about that when Tio Salamanca showed up and the murder twins too...I knew who they were and that it was a big deal, but people who are strickly fans of THIS show aren't as invested in their appearances
710417, Meh I don't think it totally loses you either way though.
Posted by Brew, Tue Apr-05-16 02:52 PM
Like - even if you *didn't* know who the twins were by appearance, it's still pretty obvious that Tuco's uncle (who BCS fans know well by then) told those "random dudes" to go put the scare in Mike. Then if/when you find out later that it's a throwback (throwforward?) to Breaking Bad you can be all "OH THAT'S DOPE".

So I don't really agree with that gripe.
710418, Yeah. Everything in BCS is independent of BB so far
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Tue Apr-05-16 03:07 PM
Like you said, someone who hasn't watched BB would see them as the Murda Twinz, but that's not integral to the BCS story.

Same thing with Tuco, Tio, and other recurring characters. If you watched BB you know a few extra nuggets, but it doesn't really add much to this story.
710423, agreed on all of this
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Apr-05-16 03:59 PM
>Like - even if you *didn't* know who the twins were by
>appearance, it's still pretty obvious that Tuco's uncle (who
>BCS fans know well by then) told those "random dudes" to go
>put the scare in Mike. Then if/when you find out later that
>it's a throwback (throwforward?) to Breaking Bad you can be
>all "OH THAT'S DOPE".
>
>So I don't really agree with that gripe.
710448, LOL reread what i wrote
Posted by Calico, Wed Apr-06-16 09:29 AM
I never said there was a disconnect, I just said I hope the connections to BB don't become a thing fans of this show need to know...
710452, Yea you said that but you also said this:
Posted by Brew, Wed Apr-06-16 09:46 AM
>I thought about that when Tio Salamanca showed up and the murder
>twins too...I knew who they were and that it was a big deal, but
>people who are strickly fans of THIS show aren't as invested in
>their appearances

...and that's the part I was responding to specifically.
710460, and it's still true
Posted by Calico, Wed Apr-06-16 10:51 AM
people who watched BB would be more invested in seeing these people appear, but ok....
710461, Wait - so what you're saying is ....
Posted by Brew, Wed Apr-06-16 11:09 AM
fans of Breaking Bad will appreciate recurring characters in a Breaking Bad spinoff more than people who have never seen Breaking Bad ?

Mind-bending analysis !
710481, Dude..i know you're bored too...it's gonna be ok...
Posted by Calico, Wed Apr-06-16 02:54 PM
710502, Thanks man. I appreciate your kind words.
Posted by Brew, Wed Apr-06-16 08:25 PM
710406, I think they are transporting them in the tires
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Tue Apr-05-16 01:15 PM
When the truck went into the garage, you started hearing those air wrenches go to work.
I'm guessing he is going to spike strip the truck to get them jammed up at the border.

What is the whole purpose for it? I'm not sure.
I can't see why he would involve himself so deeply into their business.
710408, HA uhmm potentially cause they threatened to kill his granddaughter ?
Posted by Brew, Tue Apr-05-16 01:25 PM
Call me crazy but .... maybe that. Who knows though. Could just be boredom.

>I can't see why he would involve himself so deeply into their
>business.
710419, I still don't see it. You would assume it's all good now...
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Tue Apr-05-16 03:11 PM
since he cleared up the story of the gun with the police. His daughter should be safe. She's in more danger now that he is causing trouble.

This seems like an ego thing. When he was interviewing with the police, he got really frustrated when they said you don't need to be victimized twice.
710422, It's part pride, but Mike needs to make money
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Apr-05-16 03:58 PM
so I think part of it is he clearly can't stand being prey (back the the wolf vs sheep in the last episode flashback), and getting punked the way he did, but he also needs to make money to support his family. I think he has a longer game in mind, as he's peeping the mechanics of the salamanca operation. We just don't know what it is.
710425, Yea no. Sorry but....
Posted by Brew, Tue Apr-05-16 04:10 PM
>since he cleared up the story of the gun with the police. His
>daughter should be safe. She's in more danger now that he is
>causing trouble.

....it's never, ever, ever "all good," as you say, with anyone who ever thinks it's cool to send goons to mock shoot my granddaughter from a rooftop. If I ultimately "cleared up the story of the gun" that's just to buy me time to devise a gameplan to fuck your world up, or at least try. And if I had the mental wherewithal of Mike E. I would stop at nothing to be sure these fucks could never point a real or fake gun in her direction again. So in other words, Mike's got my backing and understanding.

>This seems like an ego thing. When he was interviewing with
>the police, he got really frustrated when they said you don't
>need to be victimized twice.

It's principle, not ego. Fuck with me all you want but the second you make even the smallest threat to any member of my family, especially the young and innocent ones, the air is never clear and I'd do anything in my power to fuck your existence up.
710428, Mike knows what kind of people he's dealing with
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Tue Apr-05-16 05:15 PM
He knows he can't get rid of one problem without a whole host of other problems coming in its place. He saw this with the Tuco thing that got him in this mess to begin with.

I think it would be smart to let things be after copping to the gun because, for all Tio and the cartel know, he is just an innocent civilian. They don't know he was involved in a setup to get Tuco.

The odds of him and his family being safe seem a lot greater if he simply plays along

710436, Yea I see what you're saying and don't necessarily disagree.
Posted by Brew, Tue Apr-05-16 07:50 PM
I never said that he wasn't being irrational. Just saying despite how irrational it might seem it's still easy to understand why he'd want to fuck these guys' worlds up.
710431, The preview of next week ticked me off so much.
Posted by Hitokiri, Tue Apr-05-16 05:51 PM
He can never fucking win.
710442, Anyone else see the Kleinfeld sign and smile to themselves?
Posted by Pete Burns, Tue Apr-05-16 11:59 PM
Perhaps a nod to another dodgy fictional lawyer?
710458, man, I thought Mike was making a sprinkler for his grandbaby
Posted by Amritsar, Wed Apr-06-16 10:35 AM
one of those joints that shoots water up into the air for her to run through

:(

should've known better lol
710479, lmao man me too...he fooled me at first
Posted by gumz, Wed Apr-06-16 02:45 PM
710485, And whatsername, the kid's mom, seemed to know it wasn't a sprinkler.
Posted by stravinskian, Wed Apr-06-16 03:20 PM

I was looking at her like "what? They're just doing DIY work together. It's cute."

I was honestly a little sad when I saw him in the end.

Poor Mike, there's no telling where his life might go if he doesn't start to straighten up and fly right.
710491, Lol nah i knew it was gonna be some kind of mike contraption
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Apr-06-16 05:05 PM
i just didn't know it would be a spike strip
710503, Same.
Posted by Brew, Wed Apr-06-16 08:26 PM
>RE: Lol nah i knew it was gonna be some kind of mike contraption
>i just didn't know it would be a spike strip
710534, the very first time i saw it i thought sprinkler...
Posted by gumz, Thu Apr-07-16 10:32 AM
but then when the girl was leaving and he said it was some BS for his garden i knew something was up...once they showed him washing it all slow i was really intrigued.
710712, Holy shit! I want to say this episode was better than anything from BB
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Mon Apr-11-16 10:08 PM
Shit was drama at its finest
710713, That scene with Kim, Chuck, & Jimmy...
Posted by stravinskian, Mon Apr-11-16 10:38 PM
Or the scene at the hearing, where they slowly ramped up the hum of the fluorescent lights. I had to mute the TV for a second to make sure my fridge wasn't acting up.
710715, yeah so great I'm watching it a 2nd time, back to back
Posted by DJR, Mon Apr-11-16 10:48 PM
Jimmy's storyline is really picking up steam. Knew it would, so I enjoyed the slow burn.

Mike's stuff was great too. That look when he found out the good samaritan got killed.....

edit: hold up.....only 1 episode left this season? Didn't even realize it. These 10 episode seasons aren't enough. Give us 13 next year!
710748, yeah it was pretty good
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Tue Apr-12-16 02:50 PM
i think this is where the show takes the turn.
710756, While i woulnd't go that far, it was really really really good
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Apr-12-16 05:41 PM
710716, this is the show that absolves AMC of what TWD has become
Posted by philpot, Mon Apr-11-16 11:21 PM
710719, Yeah, not really feeling bad for Chuck
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Apr-12-16 01:28 AM
Not saying he deserved to get seriously hurt or anything, but he's still a gaping asshole.

Really all of this shit could have been avoided if he just let Kim take Mesa Verde in the first place. HHM didn't need their business, he just wanted to stick it to Jimmy by proxy. So, fuck him.
710721, This is where I'm at
Posted by Pamalama, Tue Apr-12-16 07:48 AM
Chuck takes advantage of Jimmy in the same way he sees Jimmy taking advantage of everyone else. All that 'I'm trying to save you from Jimmy' talk is such BS. He never tries to conquer his condition unless it involves countering Jimmy.

My thing is, why don't they just drop dime on Chuck's condition? Considering the size of HHM, it's surprising that little secret isn't out in the streets.
710753, Agreed
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Tue Apr-12-16 03:54 PM
710773, Agreed, but i gotta admit my heart dropped
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Apr-13-16 04:32 AM
When he hit his head. I had my hand over my mouth like a fucking little old lady lol
710778, Haha same here.
Posted by Brew, Wed Apr-13-16 08:02 AM
>When he hit his head. I had my hand over my mouth like a
>fucking little old lady lol

I said out loud "holy shit he killed his brother" like 5x. Haha.
710781, same here...i felt kinda bad at that point
Posted by gumz, Wed Apr-13-16 08:55 AM
but beyond that i don't care cause the only thing fucking with him is his pride and his issues with Jimmy...when you break it down to it's simplest terms, what happened with Mesa Verde isn't that big of a deal.
710791, I also just hope he doesn't die for the sake of the show.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Apr-13-16 10:30 AM
As Kim pointed out, he's the perfect adversary for Jimmy. It'd be like killing off Magneto.
710793, Yea you bring up a good point but ....
Posted by Brew, Wed Apr-13-16 11:01 AM
I think that or some similar catalyst is kinda "needed" in order to bring Jimmy to the point that he would decide, fuck it, I'm done being Jimmy McGill, that never worked anyway.....and go full Saul Goodman.
710798, I just hoped that catalyst would come later.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Apr-13-16 11:30 AM
We were all set for an epic battle, with Chuck inevitably trying to bring down Kim just to get to Jimmy, Jimmy fighting back, etc.

I get that we need him to become Saul... I was just sort of hoping it'd come later, lol.
710805, Gotcha!
Posted by Brew, Wed Apr-13-16 12:30 PM
>We were all set for an epic battle, with Chuck inevitably
>trying to bring down Kim just to get to Jimmy, Jimmy fighting
>back, etc.
>
>I get that we need him to become Saul... I was just sort of
>hoping it'd come later, lol.

And honestly I agree. Now that we've seen just how compelling these characters can be, I was kinda hoping to "delay the inevitable" as well. So I'm with you.

That said, there's still a chance they do that, of course. We'll see how bad Chuck's injury is in the last episode I suppose. Haha.
710804, Also agreed. But I hope they give "Jimmy vs. Chuck" a rest for a bit
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Apr-13-16 12:22 PM
The X-Men don't fight Magneto every issue. There's a whole rogue gallery at their disposal. Kim's speech and Chuck then banging his head are the note to end this particular arc for now.

That doesn't mean I want the season to end with Jimmy becoming Saul Goodman. He doesn't have to immediately transition into becoming a "criminal attorney." He doesn't to spend next season dealing exclusively with the Mexican drug cartels. It doesn't even have to be him helping Mike out of jams. But I'd like them to have him move on from fighting with Chuck for a while.
710833, agreed...they kinda let the whole retirement home stuff go
Posted by Calico, Thu Apr-14-16 07:47 AM
...I guess jimmy left that behind too when he left that other practice, which is kinda sad, cause it was an interesting story and helps show Jimmy set up this precedent for going out there and fighting for the little guy...
710802, Agreed. I blurted out "OH SHIT!" when it happened.
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Apr-13-16 12:18 PM
710729, i think Mike is going to put Hector Salamanca in the wheelchair
Posted by RobOne4, Tue Apr-12-16 10:39 AM
that look he had after he found out about Hector killing the good samaritan. He is definitely going to try and kill him.
710737, If he does it, it will probably be indirect
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Apr-12-16 12:39 PM
Mike saw how Hector went apoplectic when he heard that he had been robbed, then took a pill to deal with it. So maybe this unfolds that Hector gets so pissed that he has his full on stroke, leaving him paralyzed and wheelchair bound.

Most I could see is Mike somehow stealing/replacing his meds, so when the moment comes, the pills don't save him.
710739, Agree with you 100%
Posted by Brew, Tue Apr-12-16 12:48 PM
>Mike saw how Hector went apoplectic when he heard that he had
>been robbed, then took a pill to deal with it. So maybe this
>unfolds that Hector gets so pissed that he has his full on
>stroke, leaving him paralyzed and wheelchair bound.
>
>Most I could see is Mike somehow stealing/replacing his meds,
>so when the moment comes, the pills don't save him.
710750, yes I was waiting for him to stroke out....
Posted by KnowOne, Tue Apr-12-16 03:07 PM
while Mike was watching it all unfold.
710757, oh wow good call
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Apr-12-16 05:42 PM
>Most I could see is Mike somehow stealing/replacing his meds,
>so when the moment comes, the pills don't save him.
710809, I assume Gus is the one who ends up causing the stroke.
Posted by stravinskian, Wed Apr-13-16 01:46 PM

Just from how Hector acts around him in Breaking Bad. Of course, Mike ends up working for Gus in the end, so both may be true.

710811, Yeah, I could see Mike stealing/switching the meds as a means...
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Apr-13-16 01:53 PM
...to get "in" with the Chicken Man. Or the Chicken Man explicitly asks him to do it.
710740, Mike's daughter-in-law and grand-daughter
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Apr-12-16 12:50 PM
are potential targets and the rest of the Salamanca family know of them both, so I don't think he'll go at Hector directly. At least Mike does strike me as that much of a hot heat at the moment.
710742, Yeah, it's one thing to anonymously rob a truck
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Apr-12-16 01:19 PM
Because, like Nacho said, Hector has already forgotten about Mike's existence and will most likely think it's the competition.

But if Mike tries to directly hurt/kill Hector? He's bringing down the entire fury of the Juarez cartel, even if they're at first inclined to think it was rival dealers. No way he'd put his family in direct line of fire.
710784, problem is the driver saw Mike's car....
Posted by KnowOne, Wed Apr-13-16 09:01 AM
might be enough for Hector to connect the dots.
710787, It wasn't his regular car...
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Wed Apr-13-16 09:30 AM
Probably just a burner car.
710794, ^ correct.
Posted by Brew, Wed Apr-13-16 11:02 AM
Thought that was pretty obvious.

>RE: It wasn't his regular car...
>Probably just a burner car.
710812, OMG thats right it wasnt haha.
Posted by KnowOne, Wed Apr-13-16 01:56 PM
nm
710764, I put $5 on it a few posts up
Posted by Mafamaticks, Tue Apr-12-16 10:58 PM
Who else wanna bet against me and Rob?
710807, This scene from Breaking Bad...
Posted by THRILLHOUSE, Wed Apr-13-16 12:37 PM
https://imgur.com/a/U0UhP

Nice job by Gilligan of tying that all together.
710808, Brilliant.
Posted by Brew, Wed Apr-13-16 01:05 PM
I'd love someone to compile (maybe someone already has) all the very specific callbacks to BB moments, like this one. I know there's been many, I just want them all in one place.

Cause the attention to detail is just too good. Credit to the staff.
710835, oh shit
Posted by gumz, Thu Apr-14-16 08:42 AM
710795, Found this on Reddit...
Posted by Frank Mackey, Wed Apr-13-16 11:04 AM
Names of S2 episodes...

2.8 Fifi
2.5 Rebecca
2.7 Inflatable
2.9 Nailed
2.4 Gloves Off
2.1 Switch

2.6 Bali Ha'i
2.3 Amarillo
2.2 Cobbler
2.10 Klick

710806, Haha that is genius.
Posted by Brew, Wed Apr-13-16 12:32 PM
I was wondering what they would do this season to follow up the "-o" theme from last season. Well played.

>Names of S2 episodes...
>
>2.8 Fifi
>2.5 Rebecca
>2.7 Inflatable
>2.9 Nailed
>2.4 Gloves Off
>2.1 Switch
>
>2.6 Bali Ha'i
>2.3 Amarillo
>2.2 Cobbler
>2.10 Klick
710836, i'm slow...i don't get it
Posted by gumz, Thu Apr-14-16 08:43 AM
710839, RE: i'm slow...i don't get it
Posted by Ceej, Thu Apr-14-16 09:11 AM
F R I N G S

B A C K
710837, Super cool, but I'd be more convinced if they did it in order.
Posted by stravinskian, Thu Apr-14-16 08:57 AM

Makes me wonder how many anagrams this redditor went through before finding something exciting.
710838, Haha I thought the exact same thing.
Posted by Brew, Thu Apr-14-16 09:11 AM
At first I just assumed it *was* in order but then I went to email it to a friend and noticed it wasn't, and was pretty disappointed.

>RE: Super cool, but I'd be more convinced if they did it in order.
>Makes me wonder how many anagrams this redditor went through
>before finding something exciting.
710846, It's also less impressive
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Apr-14-16 12:12 PM
since this serious is a prequel and all, so Gus being involved in the show somehow shouldn't be a huge surprise.
710834, Chuck and Jimmy arer SO similar
Posted by Calico, Thu Apr-14-16 08:01 AM
it makes them great enemies....Chuck is already a master, but Jimmy is a very quick study and on his way too....

I'd have felt bad for Chuck if they hadn't pushed on us how big a jerk he can be in almost every scene this ep.... I mean, how's he gonna tell his client that "they" don't know their own address?? LOL Then they close out with berating his own assistant for trying to help him... So when he falls, I'm shocked, I feel bad for him, but I also am thinking he deserves it....he won't die though, just give everyone a scare.... no way Chuck goes out like that.... Chuck has to be the party that makes Jimmy decided he no longer wants to be a McGill at all...

God Bless Kim..... her support of Jimmy is the stuff of legends
710847, For the folks that are all anti-Chuck
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Apr-14-16 12:23 PM
keep in mind Chuck knows Jimmy a whole lot longer than we the viewers do, so he more than likely is highly justified in his opinion of Jimmy. Not saying he's without character flaws, since it appears he has probably a but too much pride in himself, but I can agree with folks saying he deserved to get concussed by having his head banged against the edge of a table.
710848, Yea but I think we've been given enough info about Jimmy...
Posted by Brew, Thu Apr-14-16 01:01 PM
>keep in mind Chuck knows Jimmy a whole lot longer than we the
>viewers do, so he more than likely is highly justified in his
>opinion of Jimmy. Not saying he's without character flaws,
>since it appears he has probably a but too much pride in
>himself, but I can agree with folks saying he deserved to get
>concussed by having his head banged against the edge of a
>table.

...to know where Chuck is coming from. So it's not necessarily that we don't agree with Chuck that Jimmy is conniving and slimy; I do personally. I just think that the way Chuck has largely handled the situation is kind of backwards and reeks of jealousy to a certain extent. In fact I think Chuck's attitude towards Jimmy is the reason he never fully turned it around. Kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy in that Chuck always downplayed his accomplishments and expected him to fuck up again, so Jimmy maybe subconsciously *did* fuck up in a sort of rebellious/retaliatory fashion, naturally. Not defending that response just saying that it's how it happens in life in many cases.

On top of that, Chuck is kind of slimy and entitled and pretentious, which I suppose leads to the above attitude and kids-gloves treatment of his brother, so he's just kind of unlikable in general. Two scenes from this season which really cemented my negative feelings about Chuck were the dinner with his wife and Jimmy (making his wife feel like they were just going through the motions rather than having a nice dinner with family; and later, jealousy), and the most recent 2 episodes where he undercut Kim to get the business back that she had worked for, in sort of a subtle attempt to fuck over his own brother who at that point was more or less out of his hair.

So - I have no sympathy for Chuck. And I still recognize and agree that Jimmy is slimy and not to be trusted. They are not mutually exclusive feelings.
710856, We've seen Jimmy help Chuck
Posted by Pamalama, Thu Apr-14-16 07:51 PM
I don't recall Chuck ever helping Jimmy out of love. It always seemed that whenever Jimmy was getting ahead, Chuck made sure to pull him back. He couldn't even be happy that he passed the bar...something he got fair and square.

I also think Jimmy brought Chuck into Sandpiper not only for help and advice, but to help Chuck get his groove back. You could say Chuck helped with Sandpiper, but he did it because it fed his ego more than anything else. Am I glad he hit his head? Nah, but it's hard to feel empathy for him. Is it wrong that Jimmy fed into his paranoia? Absolutely. I ain't saying he should've done it, 'But I understand' (c) Chris Rock
710870, Great points. Agree 100%.
Posted by Brew, Fri Apr-15-16 07:53 AM
I was trying to make similar points about about how Chuck treats Jimmy but wasn't nearly as eloquent. Haha.

>I don't recall Chuck ever helping Jimmy out of love. It
>always seemed that whenever Jimmy was getting ahead, Chuck
>made sure to pull him back. He couldn't even be happy that
>he passed the bar...something he got fair and square.
>
>I also think Jimmy brought Chuck into Sandpiper not only for
>help and advice, but to help Chuck get his groove back. You
>could say Chuck helped with Sandpiper, but he did it because
>it fed his ego more than anything else. Am I glad he hit his
>head? Nah, but it's hard to feel empathy for him. Is it
>wrong that Jimmy fed into his paranoia? Absolutely. I ain't
>saying he should've done it, 'But I understand' (c) Chris
>Rock
710877, Don't forget last season.
Posted by wallysmith, Fri Apr-15-16 10:39 AM
Chuck bailed Jimmy out of jail (apparently numerous times) and put him up with a job at HHM. Granted, mailroom, but that's a helluva lot more than most companies would give someone with an arrest record.

And don't forget that Jimmy was embezzling from their father for YEARS, contributing greatly to collapsing their business. That predates anything that happened in their adult lives and more than explains Chuck's shitty attitude towards Jimmy.

Numba's totally spot on. We love Jimmy because he's the protagonist and at his core, he really is a good guy. But he's also a skeezy con artist that loves to take shortcuts. I got slammed in last season's thread because I posed the question "Is Chuck wrong for denying Jimmy a (lawyer) job at HHM?" I felt there was plenty of evidence last season but this season cemented it even more. Yes, Chuck's a huge asshole, but he's justified in his opinion on Jimmy. And I agree with Brew, a lot of that stems from Chuck's jealousy of Jimmy and his charisma.

At the end of the day, both guys are severely flawed in different ways, the difference is we're rooting for one of them. It's fine to hate Chuck, but don't put blinders on when looking at Jimmy.

710882, Jimmy has his ways, no doubt
Posted by Pamalama, Fri Apr-15-16 11:54 AM
But has he ever denied it? He tried the legit path and told everyone it simply wasn't his gig. He left HHM, they still have the Sandpiper account and to my knowledge, never tried to snake it back. He wants to do things his way...cool, leave him alone.

What Chuck did with Mesa Verde was personal. Like Jimmy said, if you wanna go after me, fine, but leave Kim out of it. Why did he have to punish Kim? I am interested to see how Kim reacts once she finds out Chuck is hurt though.

I'll admit my memory is shaky at best, so I don't know the timeline from Jimmy passing the bar to current day, but I feel Chuck wants Jimmy to be his caregiver and that's it. As I mentioned in a previous post, Chuck doesn't leave the house unless Jimmy's involved. Jimmy will screw up on his own...he doesn't need Chuck to show the world what a screw-up he can be. If Chuck wouldn't have pressured him so much at HHM, I think Jimmy would've been ok. I get it's his company, but if the HHM could survive a phobia to Electrodes, they surely can survive Jimmy.

710885, RE: Jimmy has his ways, no doubt
Posted by wallysmith, Fri Apr-15-16 12:23 PM
>But has he ever denied it? He tried the legit path and told
>everyone it simply wasn't his gig. He left HHM, they still
>have the Sandpiper account and to my knowledge, never tried to
>snake it back. He wants to do things his way...cool, leave
>him alone.

I agree, he's never really been unabashed about who he is.

>What Chuck did with Mesa Verde was personal. Like Jimmy said,
>if you wanna go after me, fine, but leave Kim out of it. Why
>did he have to punish Kim? I am interested to see how Kim
>reacts once she finds out Chuck is hurt though.

See post #291.

But I agree, what Chuck did was personal. It was to teach Jimmy a lesson, and Kim was in the crossfire. From Chuck's point of view though... is he wrong? He went into that meeting with Mesa Verde with the mentality that the company would be in its best hands at HHM, which is perfectly reasonable, knowing Jimmy's methods. It seemed like the head of Mesa Verde wants to do everything on the up and up, which would have been fine as only Kim would be handling the client. But Chuck didn't know that.... so how can you blame him for, in his eyes, protecting the client's best interests?

>I'll admit my memory is shaky at best, so I don't know the
>timeline from Jimmy passing the bar to current day, but I feel
>Chuck wants Jimmy to be his caregiver and that's it.

Come on. That's the blinders talking. Chuck wants to be Jimmy's brother, and that's it. There's nothing that shows he only wants Jimmy as a caregiver. There's a reason why he relies on Ernesto, why he calls Ernesto first, not Jimmy.

He loves Jimmy because Jimmy is a good person, he just never wants to ever have professional ties to Jimmy.

> As I
>mentioned in a previous post, Chuck doesn't leave the house
>unless Jimmy's involved. Jimmy will screw up on his own...he
>doesn't need Chuck to show the world what a screw-up he can
>be.

Sure, I agree. Chuck also came out early in the season to see how Jimmy handled Sandpiper, and Jimmy handled himself pretty well (in part because he lied about his solicitation methods). It wasn't until the commercial that he reminded everyone he was still Slippin Jimmy.

>If Chuck wouldn't have pressured him so much at HHM, I
>think Jimmy would've been ok.

What "pressure" are you talking about at HHM? Their divide started when Jimmy tried to fast track himself into a lawyer position at HHM. He didn't want to pay his dues in the mailroom (maybe futilely) so he struck out on his own.

>I get it's his company, but if
>the HHM could survive a phobia to Electrodes, they surely can
>survive Jimmy.

Come on, you don't actually believe this. Everything we've seen in two seasons shows that Jimmy would have jeopardized the company's reputation sooner or later. Chuck was absolutely right in denying Jimmy a real job at HHM, precisely for what happened at Davis & Main. The commercial seems like a small thing, but it's obvious Jimmy flouts the rules any time it suits him. That shit is not kosher if you're trying to run a prestigious law firm.
710900, I agree to disagree
Posted by Pamalama, Fri Apr-15-16 05:51 PM
>>What Chuck did with Mesa Verde was personal. Like Jimmy
>said,
>>if you wanna go after me, fine, but leave Kim out of it.
>Why
>>did he have to punish Kim? I am interested to see how Kim
>>reacts once she finds out Chuck is hurt though.
>
>See post #291.
>
>But I agree, what Chuck did was personal. It was to teach
>Jimmy a lesson, and Kim was in the crossfire. From Chuck's
>point of view though... is he wrong? He went into that
>meeting with Mesa Verde with the mentality that the company
>would be in its best hands at HHM, which is perfectly
>reasonable, knowing Jimmy's methods. It seemed like the head
>of Mesa Verde wants to do everything on the up and up, which
>would have been fine as only Kim would be handling the client.
> But Chuck didn't know that.... so how can you blame him for,
>in his eyes, protecting the client's best interests?
>
Kim was caught twice...once when she was delegated to the mailroom and with Mesa Verde. I'm pretty sure Chuck wasn't thinking about MV's best interest, but getting back at Jimmy through Kim

>>I'll admit my memory is shaky at best, so I don't know the
>>timeline from Jimmy passing the bar to current day, but I
>feel
>>Chuck wants Jimmy to be his caregiver and that's it.
>
>Come on. That's the blinders talking. Chuck wants to be
>Jimmy's brother, and that's it. There's nothing that shows he
>only wants Jimmy as a caregiver. There's a reason why he
>relies on Ernesto, why he calls Ernesto first, not Jimmy.

Ernesto works for HHM and brings him stuff. Jimmy is the one that calms Chuck down and 'cares' for him through the panic attacks. No way can Ernesto handle that.
>
>He loves Jimmy because Jimmy is a good person, he just never
>wants to ever have professional ties to Jimmy.

I think he loves him, but doesn't like him. Not to mention, I think he depends on Jimmy quite a bit.

>> As I
>>mentioned in a previous post, Chuck doesn't leave the house
>>unless Jimmy's involved. Jimmy will screw up on his
>own...he
>>doesn't need Chuck to show the world what a screw-up he can
>>be.
>
>Sure, I agree. Chuck also came out early in the season to see
>how Jimmy handled Sandpiper, and Jimmy handled himself pretty
>well (in part because he lied about his solicitation methods).
> It wasn't until the commercial that he reminded everyone he
>was still Slippin Jimmy.
>
>>If Chuck wouldn't have pressured him so much at HHM, I
>>think Jimmy would've been ok.
>
>What "pressure" are you talking about at HHM? Their divide
>started when Jimmy tried to fast track himself into a lawyer
>position at HHM. He didn't want to pay his dues in the
>mailroom (maybe futilely) so he struck out on his own.

This is the pressure I'm talking about. That wasn't a 'hey, just checking to see how your day went' visit. That was a 'I'm watching you' visit. Jimmy's whole attitude changed when he saw Chuck. In no way was Chuck being supportive.
>
>
>>I get it's his company, but if
>>the HHM could survive a phobia to Electrodes, they surely
>can
>>survive Jimmy.
>
>Come on, you don't actually believe this. Everything we've
>seen in two seasons shows that Jimmy would have jeopardized
>the company's reputation sooner or later. Chuck was
>absolutely right in denying Jimmy a real job at HHM, precisely
>for what happened at Davis & Main. The commercial seems like
>a small thing, but it's obvious Jimmy flouts the rules any
>time it suits him. That shit is not kosher if you're trying
>to run a prestigious law firm.

Eh, Law firms always massage the rules all the time. They were just mad he didn't run it by them first and that's fine. Jimmy was trying to get fired at that point

To me, it appears Jimmy works to right the wrongs of the assholes of the world and to help clients/people he cares about. Chuck comes across as pompous crab and jealous.
710887, Chuck is smart enough to go at it a different way.
Posted by pretentious username, Fri Apr-15-16 12:47 PM
but he's just as petulant, if not moreso, than Jimmy and that really clouded his judgment on this one. he knows he's gonna have a tough time proving his accusation. just give her a warning, let it go, and cut Jimmy out of your life.
710986, he's petty & jealous
Posted by philpot, Tue Apr-19-16 11:09 AM
710996, just finished the penultimate episode and watching the finale
Posted by Rjcc, Tue Apr-19-16 01:50 PM
the thing w/ his mom does a great job of filling this out.

chuck is the dutiful one, jimmy is more loved. chuck is jealous.

it's not even jimmy's fault that he left, but...there you go

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
710880, One subtle detail I don't think anyone pointed out...
Posted by wallysmith, Fri Apr-15-16 11:26 AM
in the Chuck vs Jimmy discussion.

When Kim gave her two weeks to Howard, she said that she would be sharing facilities with Jimmy but was clear she would not be working with him.

When Howard told Chuck Mesa Verde was going to Kim, he (whether deliberately or not) did not disclose that Kim would not be partners with Jimmy.

Such a brilliant move from the writers because it begs the questions... Would Chuck have been so gung ho about Mesa Verde if he knew that Jimmy would not directly be benefiting from them as a client? Would Jimmy have used diplomacy instead of sabotage if he had known that Chuck didn't know? Could this all have been prevented if it weren't for that glaring omission from Howard?

Howard's character was somewhat absolved last season when we found out Chuck was behind everything, but I think this adds another great layer of nuance to his motivations.
710888, i thought he did tell Chuck about Jimmy...
Posted by Calico, Fri Apr-15-16 01:38 PM
I have to rewatch
710890, Yea, I'm pretty sure he did too
Posted by ErnestLee, Fri Apr-15-16 02:55 PM
710891, He actually did.
Posted by Brew, Fri Apr-15-16 03:06 PM
>When Howard told Chuck Mesa Verde was going to Kim, he
>(whether deliberately or not) did not disclose that Kim would
>not be partners with Jimmy.

Chuck said "Kim's going into business with my brother....?"
710892, And he didn't correct him.
Posted by wallysmith, Fri Apr-15-16 03:07 PM
He let Chuck believe that they were going into actual business together, not merely sharing office space. There's a huge difference.
710895, Nah I think you might be remembering wrong
Posted by CaptNish, Fri Apr-15-16 03:59 PM
I'm pretty sure he said that and Howard clarified it. Because I seem to remember Chuck saying that it was smart.
710896, I need to rewatch it, but I'm fairly sure he didn't clarify.
Posted by wallysmith, Fri Apr-15-16 04:01 PM
Howard said something to the effect of "they're pooling their resources".

But he never explicitly explained that they would not be in business together.
710902, Just rewatched both scenes.
Posted by wallysmith, Fri Apr-15-16 07:41 PM
It was Howard that told Kim she was smart for two separate practices.

After Chuck asks Howard "Kim and my brother... partners in law?", he immediately says " He's Svengali" (per the captions, definitely a question).

Howard hesitates a moment, doesn't correct him, then changes the subject to Mesa Verde and compliance law.

It changes the perspective quite a bit, and justifies Chuck's wherewithal in chasing Mesa Verde.
710936, still doesn't make Chuck less of a jerk
Posted by Calico, Mon Apr-18-16 07:19 AM
So basically, he ONLY went after Mesa Verde cause he thought jimmy was involved, which we knew...

No matter how you play it, Chuck gets no passes
710937, Great, I agree, that's never been my argument.
Posted by wallysmith, Mon Apr-18-16 08:54 AM
Never in any of my posts have I defended Chuck's character. All I've been saying is he's justified in his actions, from his point of view. You say Chuck gets no passes and I agree, but while you're saying that everyone is trying to give Jimmy a pass. It's hypocritical if you're only evaluating their actions through Jimmy's lens and not also Chuck's lens.

That's why I posed the questions in post #291... If each were fully aware of the circumstances, would everything have played out the same? I'm not so sure.

Breaking Bad (and now BCS) has always been great at examining grey area morality. There were those Walt apologists that rationalized all his awful decisions until the very end, when YOU KNOW WHAT happened. We're seeing that play out right now with Jimmy.
710940, Neither side gets a pass from me
Posted by Calico, Mon Apr-18-16 10:34 AM
they both did really messed up things for what they each thought was a justifiable reason... Chuck did his to spite jimmy though, and even after Jimmy begged, Chuck wouldn't relent, so Jimmy went into his old bag of tricks.... both actions were bad, just awesome TV LOL

my biggest qualm about Chuck is that he ACTS like he's so much better than Jimmy, but he's really underhanded and slimy too
710941, Right - same here.
Posted by Brew, Mon Apr-18-16 10:36 AM
>my biggest qualm about Chuck is that he ACTS like he's so much
>better than Jimmy, but he's really underhanded and slimy too
710964, *3mins of silence* ......Don't (c) Bryson Tiller
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Mon Apr-18-16 09:50 PM
Lol
710994, I actually nodded off during that scene
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Apr-19-16 12:58 PM
I want to partially blame my gym session earlier in the evening for me being so tired. Plus I think the prior scene of Chuck digging in garage was pretty quiet as well, so I think that may have had a hand in me prematurely shutting my eyes.
710965, That wasn't no gotdamn season finale
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Mon Apr-18-16 10:05 PM
http://media0.giphy.com/media/L02M3FJhkF19S/giphy.gif

Chuck still an ass though
710967, Major cliffhangers in both Mike and Saul's stories
Posted by DJR, Mon Apr-18-16 10:07 PM
Damn. Gonna be a long 10 months(?).
710968, Cliffhangers but no payoffs
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Mon Apr-18-16 10:09 PM
My balls blue as shit right now fam
710975, Yep. You nailed it.
Posted by Brew, Tue Apr-19-16 07:30 AM
>RE: Cliffhangers but no payoffs
>My balls blue as shit right now fam

^ haha. So true.

Nothing happened all season. I have always been perfectly OK with slow-burning shows. I do not need constant action. But this season gave us nothing. Zero. Negative progress.

And I honestly think the "cliffhanger" thing between Chuck and Jimmy is kinda beneath the writers. Came off as kind of forced and cheesy.
710977, agreed, pretty disappointed in this season
Posted by mashpg89, Tue Apr-19-16 08:33 AM
Top notch production, acting, and directing, but the story just went nowhere. It makes my complaints earlier in the season about how the story took a step backward even more legitimate. Season 1 ended with Jimmy seemingly stepping out of the corporate lawyer world to set up his own shop. The writers went back on that and then it became the only real plot development for Jimmy in the 10 episodes of S2.

The Chuck vs. Jimmy story is boring and that cliffhanger is lazy. I was really hoping he died there in that copy shop or Jimmy committed him at the hospital.

Mike's storyline left me scratching my head a few times. He's been told that Salamanca forgot about him and even though their business is over, Mike is sticking his nose where it doesn't belong which will only bring more danger to him and his family. Seems like strange way to get Mike involved with the BB underworld.

The pace of Season 1 was fine, but Season 2 was poorly done and we're more or less right where we left off. Hope they speed it up a bit for Season 3 and focus on plot development.
710978, Agree with everything you said.
Posted by Brew, Tue Apr-19-16 09:02 AM
>Top notch production, acting, and directing, but the story
>just went nowhere. It makes my complaints earlier in the
>season about how the story took a step backward even more
>legitimate. Season 1 ended with Jimmy seemingly stepping out
>of the corporate lawyer world to set up his own shop. The
>writers went back on that and then it became the only real
>plot development for Jimmy in the 10 episodes of S2.

Right. I had no problem with them putting the brakes on Jimmy becoming Saul to begin this season. But I was assuming that they had a legitimate, interesting *reason* to put the brakes on. But instead, like you said, they ended up exactly where they left off. I enjoyed the production value like you said but otherwise I feel like this was a waste of 10 hours.

>The Chuck vs. Jimmy story is boring and that cliffhanger is
>lazy. I was really hoping he died there in that copy shop or
>Jimmy committed him at the hospital.

Yep. *That* type of ending would have legitimized the slow burn of S2. Instead we got the cheesy cliffhanger.

>Mike's storyline left me scratching my head a few times. He's
>been told that Salamanca forgot about him and even though
>their business is over, Mike is sticking his nose where it
>doesn't belong which will only bring more danger to him and
>his family. Seems like strange way to get Mike involved with
>the BB underworld.

Yea, I don't remember if it was you or someone else but I argued earlier in this post that Mike's involvement was justified, but watching this episode I started to agree with the "what the hell is he doing this for?" people. Just doesn't seem to intuitively make sense from a natural progression standpoint.

>The pace of Season 1 was fine, but Season 2 was poorly done
>and we're more or less right where we left off. Hope they
>speed it up a bit for Season 3 and focus on plot development.

Right. Again I didn't hate the pace of S2 as much as some people, but I was expecting a payoff and just didn't get it.
710989, oh Jesus fuckin Christ
Posted by philpot, Tue Apr-19-16 11:34 AM
Y'all turning on this show too now?
710990, Who's "y'all"? Do I have a history of turning on shows...
Posted by Brew, Tue Apr-19-16 11:50 AM
that I don't know about ?

Anyway - relax, bro. Really, it'll be OK.

I don't know how one could "turn" on a show, so no. I'm probably not "turning" on it. I'm critiquing it, which is kinda why we watch. For entertainment. And if we're not sufficiently entertained, we complain. That's our job as fans. You must have a lot on your plate if you just auto-like every aspect of every show that's aired on TV.
710992, I vehemently disagree with this.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Apr-19-16 12:19 PM

>Nothing happened all season. I have always been perfectly OK
>with slow-burning shows. I do not need constant action. But
>this season gave us nothing. Zero. Negative progress.

Mike went from part-time bodyguard to feud with Tuco/Hector due to the threat on Stacey and Kaylee's lives.

Jimmy went from someone struggling with the straight life to going all-out con man. His beef with Chuck went from personal to business. Chuck in particular had a huge transformation this season, going from quiet influencer to full-blown involvement, and Jimmy actually had earned the upper hand for a minute... Jimmy had set up his new wheelin'-and-dealin' life perfectly, and he had actually found a way to make things work with Kim, and now he's blown that, because Chuck exploited the fact that he knows he is Jimmy's greatest weakness.

I don't understand anyone saying that "nothing happened." The characters are in very different places at season's end than they were a season ago. The worlds of the main characters have moved forward tremendously.
710993, I was hyperbolic for sure.
Posted by Brew, Tue Apr-19-16 12:58 PM
A lot happened to these characters over the course of the season, you're right. My main/primary gripe is just with how they ended it. I hated that finale. I feel ripped off, and just feel like they've been dancing in this "moral grey area" for 20 hours. I was fine with it for 19 hours but in the 20th I wanted some action goddamnit.
722399, as a Netflix person, I agree with all this.
Posted by Nodima, Wed May-31-17 11:38 PM
the only reason anyone could walk from this season disappointed about it would be because it ended the way it did. I had avoided everything about it, just finished it, and had the same "WHAT? THAT'S THE FINALE?" response I see over and over in this thread.

meanwhile just about everything leading up to it is deep dives into how awesome this or that moment was and how revealing it was for certain characters. it was a great season of television.

~~~~~~~~~
710973, Agreed.
Posted by Brew, Tue Apr-19-16 07:29 AM
>RE: That wasn't no gotdamn season finale

That was just as annoying as the rest of the season. After all the waiting for something to happen this season, nothing happened. That stinks.

I still enjoyed the season, for sure. These characters are so compelling. But it was not nearly as good as season 1 IMO and the season finale was a massive letdown.
710983, agreed....loved the season but hated this ending
Posted by gumz, Tue Apr-19-16 10:54 AM
i need one more episode.
711006, LOL we're all just mad we didn't see Gus, and the birth of Saul
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Apr-19-16 04:18 PM
711015, Haha nah I honestly didn't care whether Gus showed or not.
Posted by Brew, Tue Apr-19-16 07:29 PM
In fact it barely crossed my mind.

I just wanted ...... something to happen.
710966, WTF JIMMY?!
Posted by Hitokiri, Mon Apr-18-16 10:06 PM
WHY?!
710974, i mean, i KNEW it was coming.... everyone except Jimmy knew
Posted by Calico, Tue Apr-19-16 07:30 AM
....he had about 3-4 people tell him that Chuck is now his enemy, but he keeps underestimating the guy and his ego, which really won't let it go...EVER....

I kinda thought someone was gonna be hiding in a room somewhere, listening in....

Ultimately, I keep wondering whether jimmy will voluntarily turn into Saul, or will Chuck make that Jimmy's last resort... Right now I'm thinking he'll be forced to give up all the attachments of his life now and have to start over as Saul at some point
710971, Brilliantly played by Chuck. Absolutely brilliant.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Apr-19-16 12:31 AM
Sucks sucks sucks for Jimmy. You'd have thought he'd see it coming... but that blind spot for Chuck is too huge.
710980, I felt so bad for Chuck
Posted by Mafamaticks, Tue Apr-19-16 09:47 AM
I almost had to look away from the TV the way they framed the scene of him on the gurney. It made my skin crawl.

711005, He out slippin' jimmy'd jimmy
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Apr-19-16 04:16 PM
710972, So the note is Gus right?
Posted by gmltheone, Tue Apr-19-16 05:40 AM
And Chuck is a bigger conman than Jimmy.

Played a long con on his brother.
Same as it ever was!
710976, Yeah, that's the only thing that would make sense
Posted by DJR, Tue Apr-19-16 08:29 AM
I'm thinking it was one of Gus's people who actually left it. Maybe Victor.
710982, i'm thinking Gus too
Posted by gumz, Tue Apr-19-16 10:53 AM
710995, RE: So the note is Gus right?
Posted by infiniteriddims, Tue Apr-19-16 01:31 PM
"Fifi"
"Rebecca"
"Inflatable"
"Nailed"
"Gloves Off"
"Switch"

"Bali Ha'i"
"Amarillo"
"Cobbler"
"Klick"
711023, Wow.....I guess that can't be a coincidence lol
Posted by icecold21, Wed Apr-20-16 07:49 AM
711026, LMAO! Only Gilligan and crew would do that stuff.
Posted by gmltheone, Wed Apr-20-16 08:43 AM

Same as it ever was!
711110, RE: LMAO! Only Gilligan and crew would do that stuff.
Posted by infiniteriddims, Sun Apr-24-16 06:45 AM
Yeah, they had originally intended to reveal it sometime in the summer, but the fans figured it out way before then.
711004, 99.9% chance it's gus
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Apr-19-16 04:14 PM
711010, I hope so...
Posted by Pamalama, Tue Apr-19-16 06:02 PM
If only to stop the talk about Ernesto really being Gus.
711020, Has to be. No one else would make any sense.
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Apr-19-16 11:48 PM
Probably could have used a reveal though.
710981, fuck.Chuck.
Posted by araQual, Tue Apr-19-16 09:57 AM
V.
711009, Probably only me, but...kind of a boring season.
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Apr-19-16 05:35 PM
Maybe because I love the Mike story SO much more than the Jimmy one. The first season they interacted so much and so it was great...but the Chuck/Jimmy dynamic just gets old to me to be honest.
711014, Chuck is the biggest piece of shit on this show.
Posted by CaptNish, Tue Apr-19-16 07:02 PM
If for only the way he handled their mother's death. Countless other reasons too, but fuck allllllllllllll o' Chuck

Also, there is nothing he has done that makes me think the hypersensitivity to electricity thing isn't some bullshit con to show Jimmy
711018, fuck chuck
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Tue Apr-19-16 09:30 PM
fuck that guy
711019, Yeah, Chuck is clearly a horrible person
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Apr-19-16 11:46 PM
And while I thoroughly enjoyed the season finale and the season in general, I'm really ready for a break from the Jimmy/Chuck dynamic. Just... give it a rest for a while. A whole season of Chuck holding the tape over Jimmy sounds beyond tedious. THAT I wouldn't enjoy.

But yeah, great season finale. It's just time to move on.
711021, BTW, that abandoned house wasn't the same one where...
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Apr-19-16 11:54 PM
...Hector "lives" when they first introduced him in Breaking Bad, is it? Seem a bit too run down and desolate to be the place where Tuco takes Walt and Jesse.
711034, i thought it would be, but i swer the house in BB was white
Posted by Calico, Wed Apr-20-16 09:34 AM
or an off white, and seemed less like a shack...
711058, I dont remember all the hills around the house
Posted by RobOne4, Thu Apr-21-16 03:34 AM
I thought it was in a more wide open area.
711022, "Don't."(c) G. Fring !!!!!!!!
Posted by DJ007, Wed Apr-20-16 07:36 AM
I can't wait for next season!!!
711024, "I miss the mail room"
Posted by Oakley, Wed Apr-20-16 08:14 AM
711029, ^ YES! That was awesome.
Posted by Brew, Wed Apr-20-16 08:51 AM
711045, BTW, Chuck's tape wouldn't lead to criminal charges/conviction...
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Apr-20-16 04:11 PM
or even him getting disbarred.

We already know Jimmy doesn't get convicted or disbarred. But anyway, no charges would be filed if for no other reason than it's "contrapment" (c) Bodie. Second, all Jimmy would have to say is, "My brother has serious mental issues. I had become his temporary emergency guardian shortly before this recording was made. I was worried about his safety and made up that story for his own mental health. Yes, even the part about 'Your word against mine'."

It would (and likely will) lead to embarrassment for Jimmy (and is almost certainly going to turn him into Saul), but it wouldn't be threat to Jimmy's freedom or even his livelihood.
711046, RE: BTW, Chuck's tape wouldn't lead to criminal charges/conviction...
Posted by funklectic, Wed Apr-20-16 04:24 PM
It is a threat to his relationship with Kim however
711047, RE: BTW, Chuck's tape wouldn't lead to criminal charges/conviction...
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Apr-20-16 04:45 PM
>It is a threat to his relationship with Kim however

Kim already knows. She was pissed at Jimmy after the first convo with Chuck (after she gave Chuck the whole "I feel so for you" speech). And she basically told Jimmy to go back and make sure he covered his tracks at the copy place.

I guess he could threaten to play the tape to Mesa Verde, but what the hell would they realistically even do if he did? He doesn't have a lot of credibility with them anymore. Kim could/would reveal Chuck's mental issues. They'd realize there's a lot deeper shit going here beyond Kim.
711053, ^ all great points re: Jimmy's defense
Posted by Brew, Wed Apr-20-16 09:23 PM
Which, to me, makes it even more disappointing that they let *that* be their "cliffhanger".
711056, That's only if you look at it as a cliffhanger
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Apr-20-16 10:23 PM
I saw it more as a statement of how much Chuck changed and how far he is willing to go to "get" Jimmy.

Now that he has the tape, neither of Chuck's choices are good.

1. He can go to the police or state ethics board, and while he might severely embarrass Jimmy, it's pretty easy to explain his way out of and exposes Chuck to all sorts of scrutiny.

2. He can use the tape to blackmail Jimmy, to try to get him to stop practicing law or to at least stop using the McGill name so as to not further "sully" it. But if/when Chuck makes that choice, he gets "down in the dirt" with Jimmy, the exact place where he refused to go earlier this season when Jimmy offered to stop practicing law if they stopped punishing Kim.

I looked at the end as the show's way of saying that Chuck is now prepared to become a criminal, and sink just as low (truthfully lower) than Jimmy all in order to vindicate himself and vanquish his brother.

711057, All fair.
Posted by Brew, Wed Apr-20-16 10:36 PM
I think the writers themselves classified it as a "cliffhanger" but that could've just been due to lack of a better term.

I hope you're right and the writers take this in a natural direction.
711063, i can see Chuck going to the police
Posted by Calico, Thu Apr-21-16 07:57 AM
...well sending it in, but it won't work out for him because of the reasons already said...

...I don't see him doing #2 because Jimmy has already offered to quit practicing law but Chuck acted like he didn't want that..... I think Chuck wants Jimmy to be a disgrace, so he'll go the route that most exposes Jimmy...

...then there's the third option, Chuck doesn't do anything with the tape..... he just needs to know he wasn't wrong...( I seriously doubt this one though)
711100, he could just make it public
Posted by pretentious username, Sat Apr-23-16 10:15 AM
or threaten to at least.
711170, yeah my first thought was that Jimmy could just deny it
Posted by gumz, Mon Apr-25-16 01:32 PM
and say he said it to appease Chuck...but you're right, it's more about showing how far Chuck is willing to go to "get" Jimmy
711051, i feel like this was a season expressly made for binging
Posted by dba_BAD, Wed Apr-20-16 07:23 PM
i watched it week to week like yall, and while i loved every minute of it, and remain impressed, was left filling a little unsatisfied, like many of yall

but i have a feeling it would be a more exciting viewing experience on binge

just a thought
711059, right now season for season I think this is better than Breaking Bad
Posted by RobOne4, Thu Apr-21-16 03:37 AM
711060, it kinda does.
Posted by araQual, Thu Apr-21-16 04:56 AM
i stopped watching week-to-week after ep2 and binged eps3-10 all in the last 3 days. loved it.

V.
722400, it was fucking awesome as a Netflix experience.
Posted by Nodima, Wed May-31-17 11:41 PM
but so was Breaking Bad, which I fell off of after season 1 and didn't get back into the week-to-week until the first half of season 5.

~~~~~~~~~
711096, After it ended i went back and replayed the scene of Chuck on the gurney
Posted by osu_no_1, Fri Apr-22-16 09:42 PM
And enjoyed it a lot more. Fucking bastard
720848, This season is now on Netflix
Posted by DJR, Tue Mar-28-17 01:43 PM
I'm rewatching, prepping for season 3 which starts April 10th! Can't wait.
722317, I'm caught up and I'm with Ryan M. this shit was meh
Posted by astralblak, Mon May-29-17 09:01 PM
Loved Mike's story line

but the law firm, is Jimmy gunna go straight shit, was a snooze.

I find Chuck's shit OD annoying too

I did loved when Jimmy and Kim hustled folk, and I like Kim' lil booty in them biz skirts, but that's about it

and there was, as always, some great fucn shots / camera work.

but yeah, Season 1 was fantastic. Season two not so much
722318, also Jimmy a great character, but a wild Piece of Shit
Posted by astralblak, Mon May-29-17 09:03 PM
I hate that muthafucka to no end. I'm glad he aint got shit post BB. He a turrbl person.

Chuck almost as bad, but not really.