Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectMovies with Inappropriately happy endings. Starting with Star Wars.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=707318
707318, Movies with Inappropriately happy endings. Starting with Star Wars.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Jan-19-16 03:17 PM
2 BILLION people on Alderaan were killed and they celebrating at the end?

Die Hard II. Plane full of people crashes killing 230 passengers and John McClane and his wife are all laughs and happiness at the ending when they are reunited?

Sum of All Fears - They blow up Baltimore with a Nuclear Weapon and I am suppose to be Happy because Ben Affleck lived in the end? And why Baltimore when it was Denver in the book?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
707322, its been a minute but...
Posted by Selah, Tue Jan-19-16 03:28 PM
...in Star Wars did they actually SAY there were 2B people on Alderran when it got blown up?

or was that added later when they were making things up as they went along?

707323, I watched and old VHS tape of Star Wars from the 80s. There were a billion
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Jan-19-16 04:01 PM
folks on Alderaan.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

707346, The only reference to the numbers in the film was millions.
Posted by soulfunk, Wed Jan-20-16 09:42 AM
Specifically right after it happened and Kenobi sensed it - "I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."
707351, You are right. I misrememberd. Not for nothing, still millions of people dead.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Jan-20-16 12:21 PM

707332, They chose Baltimore
Posted by Innocent Criminal, Tue Jan-19-16 09:21 PM
to fill the white American fantasy of blowing up a large city with a majority black population.
707338, They blew up the super weapon that destroyed Alderaan
Posted by kevlar skully, Wed Jan-20-16 12:21 AM
They can celebrate the major victory that more planets won't be under threat of being annihilated
707347, more awards ceremony than celebration
Posted by Scrapluv, Wed Jan-20-16 10:04 AM
standard military fare
707371, why'd the allies celebrate V-E day?
Posted by pdafunk, Thu Jan-21-16 09:45 AM
707372, First thing I thought of.
Posted by SoulHonky, Thu Jan-21-16 11:26 AM
I don't think the celebration of defeating a tyrant is that inappropriate.