Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjecti saw that re: the novelization
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=705787&mesg_id=706802
706802, i saw that re: the novelization
Posted by cgonz00cc, Tue Jan-05-16 03:43 PM
During the fight, you could tell that she was acting out of anger, an early step. But its always seemed to me that angry swings of a lightsaber are fairly innocuous until a life is taken.

A conscious choice to spare Kylo Ren in the film would just have been way more powerful to me. Even the way it played out was fine, had they piped in Snoke's voice and indicated that she had already made her choice. To me this needs to be revisited ASAP.

As for Chewie and Leia...that was just a fuckup. Revisiting that in VIII likely wont carry even a fraction of the emotional resonance it could have had, no matter whose daughter Rey is. Such a complete biff. Maybe im wrong, and there is some incredible emotional catharsis coming down the pipe, but i dont see how it could be framed to match the potential power of the acene we were denied.

sidenote: to me, the strongest evidence that Rey is Han's daughter was that brief moment of tenderness between Rey and Chewie in the cockpit of the Millenium Falcon. I liked that, because i dont think Chewie wouldnt have let *anyone* else sit in that seat. The second most convincing piece is that Chewie didnt go all suicide mission after Han died. Only devotion to the remaining members of the Solo family would have guided his actions the way they played out. Just an opinion of course.