Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectYeah. It stood unusual to me also
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=705787&mesg_id=706065
706065, Yeah. It stood unusual to me also
Posted by BigReg, Mon Dec-21-15 12:03 PM
>The lightsaber fight sucked, and The Force never mattered less
>than it did here.

While its no Darth Maul craziness, I thought the scene in general worked well (first with Finn then Rey) except for the below

>But if Luke Skywalker is THAT DUDE with The Force, and he had
>to train on a rinky dink smuggling ship for months just to
>understand how a lightsaber works, some slave girl and a
>Stormtrooper we never even saw pull a trigger shouldn't be
>able to just stumble onto a lightsaber and punk the kid who's
>A) established to have Skywalker blood and B) went to fucking
>Jedi school.

Ren was mortally wounded so imho it made sense how Finn, (who IS a trained soldier despite the hi-jinks) was able to hang for about a minute until he lost since no force powers were used and it was just 'mano o mano'.

However the absolute ownage that Rey gave Ren was bizarre. Now Rey's main theme as a character is that she bucks all damsel in distress stereotypes which I LOVED and worked well in other parts of the movie and made logical sense. She scraps dead tech so of course she would know her mechanics. As a lone 'weak' human in a hussle ass desert planet she would know how to run, fight off some assholes with her staff..etc or else she would have not survived.

But that nigga Kylo is a trained soldier, active force user...etc. And she fucking WHUPPED him in the force and in fighting! It felt like they got to the end of the script and was like 'OK, how do the badguys lose and the goodguys win" and just hit the fastforward button. It felt unearned and it weakened what was a great setup for the final act.