Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectFor starters, you're not putting HP on "par". You're putting it far above.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=703580&mesg_id=703884
703884, For starters, you're not putting HP on "par". You're putting it far above.
Posted by Cold Truth, Sat Oct-24-15 11:12 AM
>Whenever I put something BLACK on par with something white,
>revered and sophisticated, I get that pat-on-the-back "Oh, I
>know why you like that black thing, it connects to you
>better."
>
>LMAO

Par and far above are two completely different things. I put House Party on par with other films in the genre. You put it unquestionably above everything else. There's really nothing about HP that puts it so far above anything else and you didn't articulate any actual reasoning to that point, so yes, I think cultural relatvism was a distinct possibility in the absence of any actual argument.

>That's true for every single subjective opinion about
>everything,
>ever.

I disagree completely. We're talking about the comparison of like kinds and looking at factors that put one significantly higher than the rest of it's class. A subjective opinion in a vacuum will still be based on cultural factors along with general life experience and what have you, but in the absence of an actual argument (i.e, NOT merely repeating an assertion) I don't think it's unreasonable to attribute a piece of that to a greater than typical factor of cultural sensibilities. You finally cited some things down below that I agreed with.

>It don't just apply to me.

Of course not, but don't ignore the context here. You didn't put forth any real criteria through the bulk of this conversation, so that lead me to believe that there was definitely a cultural element in play NOT in your enjoyment of the movie or even putting it on par (I've been quite clear that I think it belongs), but putting it as definitively ahead of the pack.

>So unless I see you using that exact argument in *every* art
>discussion with *everyone* else, don't use it with me.

I believe I addressed this already and stated that someone putting Ap (or any other movie in this genre) significantly ahead of AP, I'd attribute a portion of that to the fact that the person simply identifies better with the other movie on cultural grounds. If that wasn't clear before, I'm making it clear now. I don't use that on everyone, nor do I use that with any and every Black Guy who touts the superiority of something black over everything else in a category. In THIS specific situation it was a reasonable probability based on the lack of any actual criteria at the time.

Frankly, I apologize if I offended you with that. My "just say you like it because black people" quip was honest ball breaking