Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectEmpty? I don't see either as empty at all.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=703580&mesg_id=703874
703874, Empty? I don't see either as empty at all.
Posted by Cold Truth, Sat Oct-24-15 01:03 AM
>These white movies are great, but are empty, privileged
>humor

>'House Party' has better teenage butthole humor AND manages
>to insert some actual American culture, the way kids actually
>live in behave. It tackles class and race and stuff like that
>RESPONSIBLY while also being more fun

D & C inserts plenty of American culture. The aforementioned privilege is a part of said culture (mailbox smashing anyone?). The bicentennial setting and the optimism for the 80's after what was perceived as a drag decade. This is especially intriguing given that music was a central figure in the film and the 70's was a fucking fantastic era for music on all fronts. Those kids didn't know how good they had it. It's also a look at a small town culture with what amounts to city-sponsored hazing, rights of passage, and transitioning from one phase to the next. There's plenty of commentary to discuss about D&C. In fact, everything on this list is worthy of such discussion.

Now, to your point about K&P tackling race and class and doing so responsibly, that's the sort of thing I was hoping to read and that's a valid point. It's probably the high moral water mark in this mix and earns points for that. i got no beef with that criteria.

>Kid and Play combination >>>>>>>>> Humping a fucking pie
>
>Seriously

Meh. Different apples IMO. Fucking that pie wasnt hilarious pie fucking is hilarious, it's hilarious because he got caught. By his dad, a guy who added awkward insult to every injury.